JBirdAV8r
Topic Author

Big Weather Situation In Oklahoma Today-Watch Out!

Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:19 am

Posting this because 1) I'm a weather junkie and 2) I know we have a lot of Okie users on here...

There's a really bad situation brewing in west Oklahoma and Kansas today. Already received reports of large, multiple-vortex wedge tornadoes on the ground in both states. Looks like the town of Clinton is directly in line with the meso from one of the storms...if any of you guys live here...take precautions immediately!

Pretty early into the season and already we've seen a few good tornadic events. Interesting!!
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

BH346

RE: Big Weather Situation In Oklahoma Today-Watch Out!

Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:53 am

We had a storm roll through Wichita earlier but things have been fairly quiet...most of the action is probably south of us. Ahh...storm season's always a lot of fun.
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:51 am

Just flipped on the Wx Channel. Tryin' to get some details. (I love wx too!)

'Speed

trekster

Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:10 am

DAMMMMMM

I live in a boring weather counrty.

If we do get a storm it dont last long, and not that impressive

I know i would proberbly run screaming if i saw a twister or somthing
but would love to be in a proper us midwest storm, Fork lighting the works

Twister tour would be great as well (but so damm expensive)
Where does the time go???

electraBob

Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:51 am

JBirdAV8r --

I am also a weather junkie and I'll tell you ---- I do not know how you are able to sleep if there is a tornado warning in effect during the night. I keep thinking about that suburb or Oklahoma City...Moore...that got hit not once, but twice in a very short period of time. I watch The Weather Channel often, and every time I see radar images of these huge storms in Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas etc... I just shake my head. Here in Southeast Michigan, we may get one or at most two tornado warnings each spring and summer season...when we do get a warning, everyone shows their concern. We have never been hit here in the Detroit area....the Flint area was hit by a huge tornado many, many years ago.

I wish all of the fine residents in the Southwest part of this country all the best...perhaps this year will be quite calm....I hope so.
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.....

AIR757200

Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:28 am

I wanted to major meteorology in school, but chose to go into business management instead. However, just like you guys, I still enjoy it like a hobby. Family members always count on me to explain things to them or to check the weather (esp. for my brother's landscape company--- I text message NWS weather warnings to the field crew during the summer).

weather.gov is where I get my information, plus I have a direct link to the local news station (WXYZ) Doppler radar that updates every 30 or so seconds. So I just get the image instead of the whole page of ads, etc.

solarix

RE: Big Weather Situation In Oklahoma Today-Watch

Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:45 am

Looks like some nasty weather. I wish we had exciting weather like they do in the midwest.

Check out these nice storms.
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

BH346

Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:11 am

Yeah, just got back from running some errands around town...it's really starting to get ugly here. All of a sudden, some dark skies moved in and now there's plenty of rain and lightning. The weather is what us Midwesterners get for "fun" Big grin
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

SWA TPA

Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:22 am

Huge weather buff here too!

Stay safe guys! Tornadoes are a love/hate thing with me.
I am fascinated by them yet at the same time terrified. I reamain glued to those tornado documentaries with tears streaming down my face. Odd but true.

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

UAL747

Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:30 am

I'm at my parents in OKC right now. The weather hasn't gotten bad here yet, but there's huge cumulonimbus clouds forming in the western sky.

BTW, any one experience the May 3, 1999 tornado in OKC? I can say I have lived through the worlds largest recorded tornado!

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

UAL747

Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:34 am

So who's your favorite weather man? Mike Morgan or Gary England? I vote for England!

BTW, Troy Bridges is gay. I see him out all the time when I'm at the OKC gay bars.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

airlinelover

Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:17 pm

How did things go in and around Ada????

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

Delta767300ER

Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:19 pm

WOW, The radar looks pretty mean!

-Delta767300ER

Stratofish

Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:59 am

Regarding the pic in reply #6:
That long storm front doesn't look too threatening (although serious) to me. Pretty clear lines with no indications of "hook echoes" so far... ,may look different if viewed on a finer scale though.

The system south of Enid is the one I'd be concerned of.
The Metro might be the Sub(optimal)way

redngold

RE: Big Weather Situation In Oklahoma Today-Watch

Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:29 am

Also regarding the pic in reply#6:

I know this is a day late, but don't you think that the squall line looks like it's showing a bow echo west of Enid? The cell south of Enid looks the worst, but a bow echo is nothing to sneer at, either.

redngold
Up, up and away!

sleekjet

Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:50 pm

Wow. Amazing how many of us are weather nerds. I have one of those expensive weather radios that can be programmed to only alert you if your county has a warning.

Before this, I had a cheapo radio that would go off in the middle of the night to alert me to weather in a county 100 miles away.
II Cor. 4:17-18

SSTjumbo

Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:50 pm

Up near Wichita looks like a solid squall in that image, but the one east of Enid has that signature bullet hole which is the dry downdrafts south of the wall cloud. I bet that was a rotating storm.

-SSTjumbo
bored NWS stormspotter in Chicagoland area
I don't know, so this is my signature.

tbar220

Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:36 pm

Ugh, what a mess. I just flew home from Chicago O'Hare today, and my flight was delayed three and a half hours from a cold front that produced a squall line stretching the entire north-south length of the U.S. Really made for a very bad travel headache. There wasn't a single flight that wasn't delayed out of the airport, all of them at least an hour delay. Ugh...
NO URLS in signature