Superfly
Topic Author

Dodge Gets It Right; The Ultimate Family Vehicle!

Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:20 am

2005 Dodge Magnum

Gas Mileage:17 mpg city / 24 mpg hwy
Engine/s: 5.7L V8, 16 valve, 340@5000hp
0-60: 6.3 seconds
Transmission:5 speed Automatic

----------------------------------------------------------------

Finally something good comes out of the Diamler/Chrysler marriage.
A large stationwagon with V8 power and rear-wheel drive. The last time Dodge/Chrylser/Plymouth had a madel in the catagory was the 1981 LeBaron Town & Country/Diplomat and Fury wagons.

The last GMs were the 1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagons and Caprice wagons. The last Fords were the 1991 Country Squire and Colony Parks.

I hope this market increases. They are much more powerful, practical, safer, efficent and stylish than SUVs.

Statring at only $20,353.  Smokin cool

I hope Chrysler get's it's version with a vertical chrome grille, hood ornament and woodgrain side panels. Then I would certainly buy one!  Smokin cool
Bring back the Concorde

777236ER

RE: Dodge Gets It Right; The Ultimate Family Vehicle!

Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:25 am

Jesus!
Your bone's got a little machine

Jetsgo

Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:28 am

Interesting, because I hold before me a C&D magazine that says the Magnum equipped with the HEMI pulls a 4.7 sec 0-60. Thats quite a big difference, I wonder who is right?  Insane

Other then that, looks like a great car. Will be interesting to see how it sells to the public.

Chris
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:30 am

777236ER:
That is impressive for a 7 passenger vehicle with heavy duty towing capacity, low-end and high end power all from a gasoline engine.
The only other vehicles on the market today that can do this is an SUV and there milage is half of what this Magnum can do.

Kudos to Diamler/Chrysler for this!  Big thumbs up
Bring back the Concorde

Greg

Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:31 am

Superfly...this is where they really FUCKED it up:

The standard 5.7 Hemi that goes into the Magnum and the C300 is a bastardized version that runs on both 4 and 8 cylinders (driver does not have a choice--it's computer controlled)...depending on acceleration--a sure course for disaster.

I refer only to the reliability of the V4/6/8 of the Cadillac to make my point.

This engine has left the critics very, very cold on an otherwise decent piece of styling and pricing.

The C300 in full Hemi dress will list for $37---so there are lots of options on these babies.....

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:32 am

JetsGo:
I got my stats from Dodge.com.
Still is am impressive car. I hope they put a lot of marketing in this car and highlight it's advantages over SUVs.
This is the ideal family car for today.
Bring back the Concorde

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:17 am

Greg:
The standard 5.7 Hemi that goes into the Magnum and the C300 is a bastardized version that runs on both 4 and 8 cylinders (driver does not have a choice--it's computer controlled)...depending on acceleration--a sure course for disaster.

Let's hope most buyers pass that one up.
Bring back the Concorde

aviationwiz

Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:20 am

One thing I don't get and will never care about. How fast it goes from 0-60. I mean, who cares how fast you can get from 0-60, at that rate, you'll run into the car in front of you in traffic!
Proudly from the Home of the Red Tail.

N766UA

Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:24 am

Jesus!

What are you talking about? I'd kill for 24 mpg!
This Website Censors Me

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:28 am

Aviationwiz:
Every car has a 0-60 rating.
It certainly is a good way to measure how much raw power this car has for it's size and price.

Bring back the Concorde

MD-90

Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:31 am

I think Dodge has a nice family vehicle. It's called the Grand Caravan.  Big grin

Not as much power as the wagon, sure, but it's much more fuel efficient. Ours has averaged 26.6 MPG over 1000 miles (granted, you can't really go over 70, otherwise it's 25 or so if you're doing 80). It also has lots of room, tows Sea-Doos just fine, and can carry two canoes on top beautifully. It also looks pretty good, for a minivan. Nice candy apple red color, too.

Too bad the interior abounds in cheap plastic.
Too bad it has pathetically weak headlights.
Optional Infinity stereo isn't great and has some strange bits.
Seats are heavy and not terribly easy to remove.

AND our 1997 ES Grand Caravan, 3.8 V6, FWD, pretty much loaded

has 130,000 miles on it

AND HAS BEEN TOWED FOUR TIMES. FOUR TIMES!!!

Last Thursday, the wonderfully reputable transmission SELF DESTRUCTED!

$2500 plus labor for a rebuilt Jasper unit.

I am never, ever buying an American car/"light truck" minivan. I might buy a truck, maybe, or a Chevy full-sized van, but never, ever an American car.

The ideal family car for today is a Toyota Sienna. My mother's first husband (who's now on his 4th wife, is about 54, I think, and has three little kids) just bought a Sienna and it's nice. Leather, 8 pax seating, the usual goodies. They can fit three car seats across the middle row, which is very convenient for them.

AND

IT

WILL

BE

R E L I A B L E ! ! !

N766UA

Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:33 am

Yeah grand caravan's are definatly pieces of sh*t. Both my uncles own them as well as my friend and they all had new transmissions installed after only a few months.
This Website Censors Me

MD-90

Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:42 am

But hey, it's a RWD wagon.

I used to drive a RWD wagon. They're wagons, but they're not so bad. But my inline Six would be no match for those V8s. American automakers at least know how to make V8s.

It's not a bad concept, although I think it looks a bit like a chopped Durango.

When I think of 5.7, I think of a car Superfly would've loved. Way back in the day, 1996, I think, Popular Mechanics was also upset over the coming death of the big wagons. They took a Buick Roadmaster wagon, dropped in a 5.7 LS1, put some rims on it, painted it a dark color and tinted the windows. It was slick. Also updated the suspension so it was basically the same as a cop car's.

Aviationwiz, you've never driven a 4-cylinder Camry before, have you? Trust me, you'd appreciate more power. Too bad Toyota Racing Development isn't selling their warrantied supercharger for the 2.2 I4's any more.

aerobalance

Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:44 am

That's right, that Dodge will be in the shop quite often. They're quality standards are quite low...

"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

Qb001

Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:59 am

After a thorough analysis of this new vehicule, I've made up my mind:
IT SUCKS!

Who need a family car that can do 0-100 kph in 7 seconds or so? WHO?

24 mpg SUCKS; I get 36 with my car. Of course, my car goes from 0 to 100 kph in, perhaps, 12 secondes, but SO WHAT? It provides my family with all the comfort and cargo room it needs.

And Chrysler cars are NEVER reliable.

And then GM, Ford and DaimlerChrysler wonder why they lose so many market shares to Japanese automakers...
Never let the facts get in the way of a good theory.

Greg

Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:17 am

I'll give Chrysler kudos where it counts...the styling of the Magnum and the C300 are best of the "retro's" (Ford totally messed up the T-bird).

Unfortunately, if you don't choose the 4/8 Hemi...you have to take the V6...which is anemic in comparison. Hopefully, they will drop the 4/8 cylinder monster after a year. After the advent of the Crossfire (a true German with a Chrysler label), I thought possibly they would be using the 3.2 litre German engine (not all the powerful..but bulletproof for reliability).

While the Magnum is nice...the C300 is what will sell. But again, but another $12-15K in options to make it a worthwhile ride. And at that price...there is a lot of territory in both sport, SUV, and sedans that can make the mid-priced enthusiast smile.

What parts got raided from the MB bin?

CPDC10-30

Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:32 am

I thought possibly they would be using the 3.2 litre German engine (not all the powerful..but bulletproof for reliability).

I was wondering the same thing considering the same engine is being offered in the Crossfire. The 2.7 L engine is terrible and the 3.5 L is not much better. Otherwise, the car is a good concept. 24MPG is not that bad at all, my car gets only a little better on the highway and has less power.

Jetsgo

Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:04 pm

Regarding the 0-60mph, I figured out the confusion...

3.5-Liter High-Output 24-Valve V6 MPI Engine pulls the 6.3 second 0-60

5.7L HEMI V8 Engine 340 HP w/Multiple Displacement pulls the 4.7 second 0-60

Other then that, I agree with Greg on the fact that Dodge messed up the car by changing it between 4 and 8 cylinders depending on how hard you are pressing the accelerator. Just doesn't seem right to me, but since it improves gas mileage, I guess that's a plus.

Chris
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

Usairwys757

Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:07 pm

It might be just me, but that thing is more hideous than ConcordeBoy wearing one of his moms dresses.
Inactive.....

jutes85

Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:12 pm

Absolutely Terrible, have the idiots at dodge noticed the gas prices lately?

Engine/s: 5.7L V8, 16 valve, 340@5000hp

Since this is supposed to be a Family car, who the fuck needs all that power. That is one ugly piece of shit made by a cheap company.

And Chrysler cars are NEVER reliable.

Add Ford, Dodge, GM, DaimlerChrysler, Buick, and Chevrolet to that list.

Why is it that every part from our 98 Villager that is Japanese - Engine, Transmission, is in perfect working order and the rest that is American is either breaking down or needed to be replaced? Don't get me wrong, some things American are great, but their Cars and Trucks are complete trash.

nothing

VonRichtofen

Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:14 pm

"but their Cars and Trucks are complete trash"

I'm not a fan of American cars, but American pick up trucks beat any Japanese one hands down. I believe that's one of the major reasons almost all commercial trucks are American trucks.

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:29 pm

MD-90:The Caravan only gets 2 extra MPG yet half the horsepower, half the towing capacity, half the reliabiity and nowhare near as cool.As you already mentioned, we Americans make the best V8s. Well this IS a V8 and is a trusted engine already avaiible in the current Dodge 3500 Pick-ups.  SmileAlso, the Infinity CD/Cassette combo audio system sounds great!The wiring harness and boldt patterns hasn't changed sice the 1980 model year with Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler products.I pulled one out of a wreched 1999 Caravan at a wreching yard and put it in my 1987 LeBaron Convertible and it sounded great.Jutes85:What is your knowledge of automobiles?Buick and Cheverolet is under the SAME umbrella of GM (General Motors) yet you pointed them out as if they were separate entities.Same for Dodge and Diamler/Chrysler.
Bring back the Concorde

N312RC

Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:07 am

Im actually quite amazed to see Chrysler developing vehicles that are hovering around the 4000lb range. First the Pacifica, now the 300 and the Magnum. My father drives a Pacifica and he's always filling the tank on that thing. Just yesterday he paid 35 dollars to fill it from empty. Its nice to see the return of big American iron though!!

The Chrysler "4000lb" club:

New 300

Pacifica

Whats next?

N/A

Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:06 am

Towing companies everywhere should come out and celebrate chrysler introducing a new vehicle. Maybe someday they will make something that is not a total turd on wheels and people will buy it.

The problem with Dodge was never their styling or building products nobody really wanted to buy. The problem was and is their reliability and quality, even their trucks suck. When my girlfriends car was in the body shop she got a rental dodge dakota extended cab pickup. It looked great, I loved the shade of red, however, at a mere 500 miles on it the power lock on the left side did not work, dome light did not work, air conditioning controls came off in your hand, the doors had trouble closing and the automatic transmission would about break your neck when it shifted. Also the interior just felt cheap, the fabric on the seats felt low quality and the plastic parts of the dash and doors just felt cheap. I know it was a rental but geez, in that few miles not all of that can be abuse.

Personally, I hate Ford and Chevy cars especially Ford with a passion after recent experiences but if I ever wanted a pickup truck it would be a Chevy or maybe even a Ford. In my book Santa Clause could buy out Chrysler and I still would not buy one of their products.

jutes85

Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:09 am

I'm not a fan of American cars, but American pick up trucks beat any Japanese one hands down.

That is only because no one drives a two ton in downtown Tokyo. Yes, Americans have the rest beat when it comes to trucks. Take the F-150 and the Nissian Titan, both nearly overall the same, but people tend to stick with Ford.
nothing

MD-90

Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:14 am

The Pacifica is one big fat station wagon. Nothing SUV about it, unless you count how impractical it is for its mass.

Yeah, but the Grand Caravan actually gets better than 26 MPG. That's not some estimate, that's a fact. Half the towing capacity? Can the Magnum tow 7000 lbs? Our Caravan has the towing package (the best value of any option on it, IMO) and is rated for 3500 lbs. Which doesn't really mean anything for us, because there's nothing we have to tow. And half the reliability? Maybe a little less, Consumer Reports does say that the 98 GC is more reliable than the 96/97. But the wagon being twice as reliable? Chrysler only wishes... Nowhere near as cool, I'll definately give you that.

And our Infinity system has some issues. It plays the soft sounds way, way too softly, so when you turn it up to hear the soft stuff, the louds are too loud. And the tape deck SUCKS. It's the worst sound I've ever heard from any tape player. Who's the brilliant person that designed the rear subwoofers to vibrate apart anyone who sits in the third row bench? Not too smart...

If you can imagine, Superfly, my mother is less than pleased with the reliability, even though she loved the capacity of the GC. It's what she chose to replace her Cressida.

Just how much does the 300C SEDAN weigh?! Our GC clocks in at 3992 lbs, according to the factory.

747 4-ever

Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:20 am

Here's two photos of the Chrysler 300 taken before it was showed  Big thumbs up
In the background you can see the new Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:34 am

Dodge Gets It Right; The Ultimate Family Vehicle

Dodge always did have it right, Thats the reason i dont intend to have Kids.

North County

Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:57 am

Nice car,

But our 5.3L Suburban would still suit our needs better. Much more interior room, and we can tow 8K. Wife gets 13 MPG in town and 18 on the freeway. No bad since she only drives 600 miles a month!

Glad someone produced a rear drive station wagon.

AvObserver

Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:56 am

It's a bit unfortunate, timingwise, that Chrysler introduced the 300C and Magnum on the heels of the Pacifica and new Durango just as gas prices are starting to climb. This will surely help stall sales out of the gate and Pacifica has been a lackluster mover to date; don't know about Durango, though I think that's doing better. Nothing wrong with the concept or looks of these cars but I'm not sure the old think design philosophy will pay off too well in this day and age. I'd personally like to see Ford bring back the Country Squire and Mercury Colony Park wagons, expansive vinyl "woody" sides and all but I doubt they'd sell like in days of yore. Folks are into either minivans or SUVs, the big wagons of the past wouldn't have a chance, now.

flight152

Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:08 am

The ideal family car for today is a Toyota Sienna.

How tasteless. People movers..nothing more.

Glad someone produced a rear drive station wagon

Look across the atlantic. The Germans have been producing rear drive wagons for years. Look at the E320/E500, C240/C320 wagon Audi A4/A6 avant as well as the audi allroad and S6 wagon. While BMW may not offer the new 5-series wagon in North America, it continues to sell the 3-series wagon.

MD-90

Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:56 pm

But you're not a woman, Flight152. Women are much more practical with their dollars than you or I (generally speaking). Especially soccer moms. They've got a family to raise.

I still want to know how much that 300C sedan weighs. Our GC is under 4000 pounds, surely it is too.

flight152

Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:22 pm

But you're not a woman, Flight152. Women are much more practical with their dollars than you or I (generally speaking).

I don't know any moms that drive minivans. Most of them have sedans and SUVs from MB, BMW and Lexus. My mom is in process of getting her new 04 545i (325hp)

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:50 am

But you're not a woman, Flight152

I am not sure about that. The way he constantly bitches about everything I think he is.

Just kidding!  Laugh out loud  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Bring back the Concorde

BH346

Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:05 pm

Doesn't look too bad although Dodge's traditional "cross" grille seems a little too pronounced on the Magnum for me. I prefer the styling of the Chrysler wagon. It's cool to see some new wagons, though. It'll be interesting to see how they will sell.
People buy minivans because they need more space than a sedan can offer. They may be boring but many can't afford or just don't want a full-sized SUV. A Grand Caravan or Toyota Sienna isn't exactly in the same class as a 530 wagon or a XC90.
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

MD-90

Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:18 pm

Well, maybe we're more middle class than you are, but here's the breakdown in my mother's family.

Aunt Lynn - drives a 1996 Honda Odyssey (the original). It only seats 4, though, because the rear seat has been removed and a lift for my grandmother's electric cart installed.

Peggy (not technically an aunt, but close) - her husband just bought her a brand new Toyota Sienna XLE with leather. It's very, very nice. They have the 8 passenger seating, and can seat all three car seats in the middle seat (it's a big seat). And they love the middle seat that slides forward, so that their youngest, Maggie (who's about 6 months old) can be closer to the front.

My own mom - it's not a daily driver, but she has a 1997 Grand Caravan ES. She got it in October of 1996 to replace her station wagon, because with two teenagers, it was just too small. And you can stuff a LOT of things in it, since it's nice and big.

My other aunt, Vicki, drives a 98 Honda Accord. She, coincidentally, has never had kids.

A Grand Caravan or Toyota Sienna can also carry a MUCH more stuff than a 530 wagon (which isn't sold in the US, btw, 525 or 540 only) or diminuative XC90 (actually, Peggy looked at the XC90, and it was just much too small).

Maybe you're just more upper middle class than we Mississippi and Alabama folks are.

MD-90

Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:21 pm

Likewise, of me, my sister, and my cousin, respectively we drive

95 Toyota Camry sedan
97 Honda Civic sedan
98 Mercury Mystique sedan (another piece of junk, recall after recall)

not a 3-Series Bimmer, which, coincidentally, is newer than our cars, generally (isn't it a 1998?)

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:22 pm

MD-90:
You left out Bubba and Betty Mae!  Laugh out loud

Sorry but that last post of yours had me cracking up!
I could just hear the Southern accent come out of my screen!  Laugh out loud
Bring back the Concorde

flight152

Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:24 pm

more stuff than a 530 wagon (which isn't sold in the US, btw, 525 or 540 only)

Actually..BMW has not imported any 2004 5-series wagons to North America. BTW..the new V8 5-series (the model we're getting) is a 545i with the same engine thats in the 745i and 645ci..it has 325hp. Quite fast.. can't wait to see what 500+hp will do.

MD-90

Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:39 pm

Which wasn't sold. Fine, not currently sold. I haven't seen any pictures of the new 5-series wagon anyway.

BH346

Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:42 pm

Sorry about the mistake...I guess I'm not up to speed on my Bimmer wagons. I don't know too much about them...I like Bimmers but haven't taken a serious look at them since we can't afford one.
I live in a pretty typical, family-oriented suburb in the Midwest and you see minivans everywhere so it's not just you. We haven't had any...right now we just have a Focus and a Civic, both 2000s. Both are nice cars. Probably wouldn't make good family cars.
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:48 pm

These BMW wagons are much more expensive than the Dodge Magnum. It's in a completly different class.
Bring back the Concorde

MD-90

Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:21 pm

Sure the Focus and Civic would be good family cars. Inexpensive, fuel efficient, roomy (more so in the Focus), the Honda's reliable...

Superfly, boy you are RIGHT!

rotor1

Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:53 am

I've got a great idea regarding the engine woes -- put in the Cummins Turbodiesel engine.

Seriously.

-Mike
The best aviation photo I've ever taken was rejected by Airliners.net

cancidas

Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:56 am

Jesus!

typical american car....
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:57 am

Cancidas:

Jesus!

typical american car....

Umm, have the Polish done any better?  Insane
Bring back the Concorde

L-188

Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:00 am

Those numbers are about the same as my F-150  Wow!
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:08 am

Those numbers are about the average for all mid-sized and full-sized sedans and coupes.
There isn't any German or Japanese car in this class that gets any better milage that produces this much power and provides this amount of space.

People bitch yell and screem about the gas milage of this wagon but ignore the horrible milage of such useless vehicles such as the Lexus LX 470, FX45, Mercedes ML500 and Toyota Sequoia.  Insane
Those not only get worse milage but they block the vision for people in cars, tip easier and will NEVER be used for it's full potiential.
Bring back the Concorde

MD11Engineer

Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:22 am

I´d like to own a WW2 Dodge 15CWT or 30CWT 4X4 truck, not the most economic, but old and rocksolid...

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

L-188

Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:30 am

Ahh, now there we are talking MD11Engineer.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.