f.pier

Which Language Would You Like To Speak?

Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:44 am

I'd like to speak German. I think it's so fascinating, and then it's not an esy language.

alcregular

RE: Which Language Would You Like To Speak?

Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:46 am

I would love to speak Spanish fluently. Im going to evening classes at the moment to learn, but wish I'd started to learn when I lived in Spain

[Edited 2004-04-04 19:05:27]
Why drive when you can fly?

keno

Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:01 am

I'm quite comfortable with my French but it's nowhere as good as my English, so there's plenty of room for improvements.

I can read and write Japanese (plus few kanjis) for the past 10 years. Strangely I never bothered to learn the language, I just enjoy learning their alphabets.

I've learnt the following languages using cassettes and videos but never seriously. I'm really fascinated by :
Portuguese (both European & Brazilian versions)
German
Italian

LHR340

Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:03 am

I would like to be able to speak Espanol(Spanish) fluently, I know little bits but not enough. I also learnt German at school - I don't think I'll ever use it though.

LHR340
A340 LoVeR! EC-GQK - LHR The Bussiest International Airport & 3rd Bussiest In The World!

Alessandro

Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:03 am

I would like to speak english...
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

skytrain

Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:08 am

I would say that right now I'd really like to improve my French. My writing isn't too bad and my reading is alright, but as far as conversational skills go - that's where I need my improvement.

I'd also really like to learn Spanish. I'm taking classes in that as well. I'm trying to break uni-lingual North American stereotype.  Big grin

Cheers - Skytrain.

USAIRWAYS321

Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:14 am

I'm in the process of learning German, and other than Russian, it's the only language I'd really like to learn.

Capital146

Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:23 am

I would really like to improve my French language skills. I love speaking the language but unfortunately only know basic phrases and sentences. One of my work colleagues is French and she's commented that my prenunciation is good, so maybe there's hope yet.

I also began learning basic Spanish a few years ago but unfortunately didn't get as far as I had originally intended. Would still like to pick it up again sometime in the future.
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

rjpieces

Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:35 am

I'd love to learn Arabic......If I ever do want to go work for the US government, there is a massive shortage of Arabic speakers.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

dc-10 levo

Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:37 am

I'm doing Spanish at GCSE and I really enjoy learning it. I'd also love to learn Russian. It seems really hard, I'd just love to be able to speak it.

DC-10

zak

Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:46 am

*usual rant mode on*

castellano is not "spanish", spain has multiple official languages.
catala and galego are as much spanish as castellano is and both are in fact official languages aswell.
euskara is another language spoken in spain and even has status of an official language in euskal herria, i would however explicitly not call it spanish :p

*rant mode off*

languages i am working on right now (there is no would like to speak, if i want to i just go ahead and learn it!):

- french
- italian

languages i will learn when the time has come(in 3-5 years):
- arabic (no i dont want to work for a intelligence agency nor do i want to become a terrorist)
- euskara
10=2

jcs17

Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:50 am

I'd like to speak French fluently and I'd like to be able to understand spoken Spanish. I can read and speak Spanish pretty well, but I can't understand Spanish if it is spoken during conversations.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Jaspike

Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:55 am

I'd also love to learn Russian. It seems really hard, I'd just love to be able to speak it.
I started learning it at school when I was 13. Stuck with it right through to A-level, and I still learn the odd bit every now and then  Smile Not difficult once you know the basics  Big thumbs up

I'd like to speak Spanish. French was a waste of time at school, even though I was good at it, but I'm never going to use it.

Tom

yanksn4

Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:09 am

Currently I am taking French, so that is one I hope to be fluent in. Another language I would like to learn and speak fluently is Gaelic.
2013 Airports: EWR, JFK, LGA, LIS, AGP, DEN, GIG, RGN, BKK, LHR, FRA, LAX, SYD, PER, MEL, MCO, MIA, PEK, IAH

TWFirst

Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:15 am

I too want to speak Deutsch fluently. I speak a little, but am planning on studying it intensely in the near future.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

sushka

Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:17 am

I speak Russian and American now, but Id like to learn either French, Arabic, or Finnish. I think they all sound cool. And they would be helpful to know too.

I learned Macedonian fluently when I was eight, but forgot almost all of it when I started learning Russian.  Sad

In a month I will start learning Ukranian. Its a fun language to listen to especialy if you know Russian  Smile Hopefuly I wont forget Russian though...
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

MD11Engineer

Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:20 am

Well, my native language is German, and I´m almost bilingual in English.
First I´d like to brush up the languages I learned in school, but where I forgot too much due to lack of practice: Castellano, French and Japanese.
Then come the followwing languages:
Tagalog and Cebuano, due to my Filipino girlfriend and the fact that my daughter out of my first marriage is also half filipino.
Russian, Mandarin, Portugese, Italian, Dutch, Afrikaans (I´ve worked with Afrikaaners and the language sounds funny, I could almost undertstand it)
Polish.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

racko

Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:36 am

I'd like to improve my French, and I'd like to speak Italian and Japanese or Mandarin.

Lan_Fanatic

Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:46 am

I'd like to improve my french and italian.
Then learn german.
And after that, I'd try to learn beautiful but not very useful languages (at least for me) like dutch, gaelic and latin.

AOMlover

Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:04 am

I'd like to speak Chinese (mandarin). It could be very helpful to find a job later...
I'd also like to speak German.

leviticus

Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:16 am

Well I have two native languages that I speak and understand perfectly, Swedish and Hungarian. But my English is also very close to that level, I am also rather good at German but would like to improve it. Otherwise I would like to learn Dutch (I am a current student on that front by the way) and also Russian, Spanish and French.

Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:58 am

I speak quite a few languages - and can "survive" with a few more...
xxx
Learn language ok... but do not count on your local high school to teach you one.
Languages get to be known in the streets, with friends, TV, reading comic books.
xxx
I arrived in Argentina in 1993. Just a few basic words of Spanish... name is "Castellano" here.
Besides, Buenos Aires has a dialect as well... "Lunfardo"... lots of Italian words.
When I met my wife... took me seconds to learn "You have pretty smile - Can I see you tonight...?"
That is called "total immersion" in languages. The only way to learn one.
Babies do not learn grammar nor vocabulary, they repeat what Mom and Dad say...
That is the way I have learned languages... trying to say "where's the toilet" or "cold beer please"...
xxx
I love you, friends, saying you want to, or you wish to learn languages...
English will get you quite a few places, but NOT everywhere...
And remember, nobody will laugh at you, if you try to say something and make mistakes.
They will admire and appreciate you effort.
xxx
I am 60 of age now... and learning Brasilian Portuguese. I will retire there.
At home I speak Spanish to my Argentina wife...
With the kids, I speak English and French, they go to school in French.
Your kids, like mine, can handle 2 or 3 languages. The younger, the better.
xxx
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

Hole_Courtney

Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:01 am

The only language i've ever really had the desire to learn, it's Swedish. Not because of practicality or anything like that, but rather because one of my favourite bands, Kent, is swedish, and most of their stuff is in Swedish, and i'd really like to understand more of it than just the translations I read.

Sweden seems like a great country too, culturally and geographically. The further north the better, I say.
"[He] knew everything about literature, except how to enjoy it." - Yossarian, Catch 22

Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:11 am

The further South the better, that's the pinguins in Argentina say.
If you got North, you get the Inuits or the Lapps.
Or... STUFF I guess...
xxx
I am glad you enjoy your favorite band, Kent, from Sweden...
Their STUFF must be great... How do you say STUFF in svensk...?
xxx
Happy contrails  Big grin
(s) Skipper

MD11Engineer

Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:18 am

Skipper,
You are right about kids learning languages. My daughter (now 13 years old) moved to the US 3 years ago after her mom (my first ex) married an American-Filipino. She is now living in Northern California.
She speaks German, English, Tagalog and Ilongo (they speak Tagalog at home, and Ilongo is her mother´s native language). Now in high school she´ll be learning at least another language, probably Castillano. That means by the time she leaves school she´ll be able to speak 5-6 languages.

Jan

MerC

Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:46 am

First of all I would like to improve my Spanish.
I studied Spanish four years ago but have forgotten almost everything. It could have been useful when I had a Spanish girlfriend six months ago.  Smile

I would also like to learn Persian, it is a beautiful language and I have lots of friends who are from Iran.

MerC
It's Scandinavian

Qb001

Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:48 am

I'd love to speak the language of truth.

Signed GWB

Seriously, I took some German 20 years ago and I was not bad. I started to learn German because my brother, who's in the Canadian Armed Forces, was based in Germany for six years and I wanted to pay him a visit. It never happened though  Crying

AFAIC, I guess learning Spanish would make sense. But I love the sound of Italian so much more. No wonder the best operas (operi ?) are in Italian.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good theory.

kimmykun

Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:51 am

I would love to learn Japanese, but to do that I'd have to immerse myself in the language (move to Japan) and I don't see that happening anytime soon. Oh, well. English and Spanish will have to do for the time being.

Sabena 690

Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:51 am

Should be able to speak Dutch/French/English/German fluently within about 2-3 years.

Frederic

Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:52 am

Jan - That's their way to do it, throw languages at kids... they will do...
xxx
I force my kids to speak English to me, but French for school/homework subjects.
Then they have to use Spanish with their mother...
In vacation, they play with their friends in Brasil - Portuguese.
So they really use 4 languages... no problem at all.
xxx
They probably qualify for 2 languages perfectly fluent, a third one fairly good.
And a fourth one soso, with a lot of mistakes... who cares, they can get by, they are understood, they can watch TV in any of these languages, or go to supermarkets, and be shopping for meat and vegetables.
xxx
Who cares if they do not pronounce exactly correct...
Only Americans laugh at people who cannot pronounce their language.
But... listen to an Yank asking his way to "Pigalle" in Paris...
Sound like "pig alley"... oink oink...
xxx
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

kilavoud

Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:10 am

Besides French, which is my mother tongue, I can express myself very easily in English and German (Schriftdeutsch) and can get by in Spanish, Italian and Tamil.

But I feel now highly motivated to enrich above all my English, considering the major an inescapable importance of this world key language.

Cheers. Kilavoud.

airxliban

Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:10 am

I had the privilege of moving around a lot when I was younger, so I got to learn:

English
French
Arabic
Armenian (don't know how to write)
Spanish
Turkish
Greek

However I remember almost nothing of greek (with the exception of nero paracalo, milate hellenika and...yeah thats about it) and would love to get better at it.

I love speaking in Turkish as it is one of my favourite languages to speak so I wish that I could remember it better than I actually do.

I also wish that I was more proficient in classical arabic because that is the way that you to communicate officially on paper in the Arab world. However the Arabic qawa'ed (grammar) is probably one of the most difficult in the world and I don't remember it very well.

I think Russian is great for business as well as an auditive delight for the ears. I also wish that I could speak Mandarin and German.

I think that it is preferable to be fluent in several languages than to have a college education in some respects...depending on the type of individual that one is.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

DaV

Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:21 am

I should start to study German again, I'm almost forgetting everything I learned in 8 years of school. In some years I'd like to learn Japanese! Oh, and I'd like to understand what all those funny words in Finnish mean...

DaV

Two monologues do not make a dialogue

Klaus

Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:21 am

I had to learn latin as first foreign language in school... then english after that. I would have preferred english and then french. Haven´t gotten around to french yet, but it might still happen. Latin in itself is pretty useless, but still a start for many european languages...

And I agree, actually using a foreign language helps a great deal in getting an intuitive understanding of it. At least I cannot really learn a language from rules and context-less vocabulary...

Using a language is a form of art much more than it is a science, and just as much as there´s no given set of rules for "good art" there´s no simple "how to" set of rules for using a language...  Wink/being sarcastic

Sabena332

Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:26 am

I am planning to learn another language and I am almost sure that it will be Spanish. My parents have a house in Spain and I am frequently there, it would make a lot of sense for me to learn this language.

Patrick

Edited because of a typo (perhaps I should learn more English before I start with another language Embarrassment)

[Edited 2004-04-04 23:28:04]
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:30 am

Agree with you AirxLiban -
xxx
Being able to speak 2-3 or even 4 languages fluently is worth a college degree.
And you can survive with it too as well.
xxx
In NOV 1973, got my big layoff from PanAm - fuel crisis... "October War" -
I survived making translations French-English, English-French...
Eastern got their A300s order at that time.
I did their complete translation of airplane flight manuals French to English.
This for the FAA and Eastern...
Sure, being fully bilingual English/French and being a pilot made it easy...
But the translation office just said "can YOU translate this"...
They did not ask if I had a college degree.
And I made a good living, paid by the word... 5 cents per word.
xxx
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

MD11Engineer

Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:38 am

Skipper,

When I was living in Ireland I too earned some money by translating technical manuals from English into German,mostly stuff from a manufacturer of laboratory equipment. My years spent in college studying physics and chemistry helped me as well, since I understood what the manufacturer was talking about and on several occasions I could find ways to translate something into German which are not mentioned in dictionaries.

Jan

LFutia

Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:25 am

Dutch.. I've been totally immersed in Dutch for the last 1.5 years... Currently learning it on my free time... Im currently learning through lots of programs... Audio/video. people. mIRC ....
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

AvianceGirlUK

Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:19 am

I would love to improve my French skills.. am trying..
My main one would be Persian though or Farsi as it is called. My other half is from Iran and he is teaching me little bits but i would love to have a conversation with him in his language, it sounds fascinating..

anxebla

Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:32 am

alcregular,LHR340 and Skytrain....
I can teach spanish... If you come to Spain,I can help with yours Spanish.In the past I gave some lessons,just like a hobby and like and change of languages.

Zak:Spanish and Castilian (castellano) is THE SAME thing.Spain have 4 official languages:
*Spanish
*Catalan
*Galician
*Basque
This last 3 are spoken in Catalonia,Galicia and Basque Country in addition to the Spanish,which is spoken in all over Spain.
AIRBUS 320 The world's most advanced single-aisle aircraft

fly727

Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:33 am

Italian and French.

RM  Smile
There are no stupid questions... just stupid people!

JAL777

Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:34 am

I speak fluent English, Spanish, French, & Portuguese. A little Italian.

I would like to learn Japanese.

KYIPpilot

Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:46 am

I would like to learn German. It is a very interesting language. Although Spanish would be more pratical, I still think German is more intersting.
"It starts when you're always afraid; You step out of line, the man come and take you away" -Buffalo Springfield

prosa

Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:34 pm

This is going to sound strange, but I'd like to learn a language that's known by few people other than native speakers. I don't necessarily mean anything super-obscure, such as the language of some 100-person tribe deep in the Amazon. It could be a language with several million speakers, possibly a nation's official language, so long as few outsiders learn it. Examples might be things like Estonian, Malagasy, Lao or Mongolian. It's hard to explain why I would be interested in learning such a language, surely there'd be little practical value in doing so, I guess it's just because I'd get a feeling of exclusivity.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

redngold

Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:16 pm

It would be great if I could remember how to speak Spanish again.

But I would love to be able to speak "American Sign Language." It is a beautiful ballet of motion with the hands and arms, and you use facial expression to accentuate the words as you sign them, just as if you were speaking with your mouth.

redngold
Up, up and away!

zak

Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:38 pm

"Spanish and Castilian (castellano) is THE SAME thing."

im sorry i dont buy into the castillian imperialism onto the other parts of the iberian peninsula. it is very similar to, in many parts of the world, prevalent association of america and the u.s.a..
10=2

IL76

Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:53 pm

I'd like to be able to speak Mandarin or Hokkien Chinese and then be able to understand what my inlaws are saying behind my back!!!
So far "Ta ge ren hen fay" (That guy's really fat) is as far as I can go (and some Hokkien swear-words). Big grin

scottysair

Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:59 am

I don't use with these speak languages into the countries at all. I used speak with the english for myself. Sometime, that I did speak with the spanish and when I was visit in Mexico.

Christian

Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:09 am

I speak: Swedish, Norwegian, English and some German, only studied it for a year or so, didn't really get the hang of it.

I would like to first of all improve my English, I understand it very good when I hear it, but I cannot express myself the way I like it.

And I would like to be able to speak Italian. When I was doing my military service, I had a friend who had Italian parents. And I thought it sounded so cool, so I want to learn it.

[Edited 2004-04-05 18:31:01]

[Edited 2004-04-05 18:36:30]
If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough

seb146

Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:15 am

English is what I grew up with but I try to speak Spanish (Mexican) as much as possible. I can also pronouce words written in Russian but I don't understand what they mean. For all I know, I am telling someone to go f**k themselves. I have found I can understand written Portugese more also but I like Spanish.

GO CANUCKS!!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal