This is the problem: there's ALWAYS someone who wants it on a different date! LOL. I'll stick with 17th/18th July, as some people I know can't attend the weekend after.
I am in the process of trying to arrange a BBQ - with a range of food - at the Airport Hotel (excellently located very near the runways) for the 17th. Also trying to get special visits to the stored aircraft (Concorde, 146, so-to-be Trident, etc.) at the MAN
viewing area, plus an airport ramp tour. Full details ASAP.
I will obviously enquire into getting bulk-buying, group discounts at the SAS Rad - a hotel which is normally extremely expensive. I will also look into other conveniently-located places. The Airport Hotel has some rooms, so perhaps we can get a discount on them by booking all of them. Will see.
Here's the rough plan of action for the 17th and 18th July:
1) Meet at 9-10am (or later if necessary) at the car park and proceed to the excellent spotting area near the runways. Spend the day there watching the movements, while sunning ourselves;
2) Go to the seemingly excellently-located pub in the early evening (perhaps around 6pm). Hopefully have a BBQ (G'day mate! Yeah, when you're 'out bush' and a bit crook for some fair dinkum tucker, grab a chook out the dunny bag, put it on the rock and fry. Bonza!) outside while watching the planes and drinking copious amounts of alcoholic beverages (or not so much, eh MYT?
3) Proceed to the hotel (perhaps SAS Rad. if we can secure a good bulk-buying discount). Pe@rson will be having sex with some fine lass (i.e. my fiancee), but enough about that;
4) Meet up for breakfast the next morning (perhaps 8 O'Clock - not sure yet) and then go back to the viewing area near the runways. Spend the day there (or part thereof, if necessary); and
5) Bid farewell and go our seperate ways, hopefully with smilies on our faces and memories in our hearts (God, that sounds sloppy).
I will fully organise it this time so there will be no problems but rather lots of laughs and bloody good times.
If I get someone to smile sweetly (like this --->
) I am hoping that the A.nutter people will enable me to put an 'ad' on the front page and in other noticeable places, in order to generate more interest. I don't know if they will (they generally seem a bit, umm, 'conservative' and, umm, moody), but then it would not be happening but for being a part of this community.
[Edited 2004-04-05 16:09:25]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."