UTA_flyinghigh

Official MAN Airliners.net Meeting!

Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:13 pm

Sorry for making that thread so hot on the heels of the LHR meet, but
1) I have an FR voucher that I have to book quickly  Smile
2) This shall (les Eaux) be my 2000th post.

Is June too early for you people ? (the ones still paying off the LHR one Big grin)

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

707CMF

RE: Official MAN Airliners.net Meeting!

Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:17 pm

June is definately too early for me.
July would prolly be more appropriate (I'll even have more choice of aircrafts to fly there, without having to look at the hanger)

As for you're 200th post, U've earned the well desservered minou dans le moteur :

gkirk

Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:20 pm

He said 2000th post  Big grin
Im a maybe if its in July.
In June, I shall (les eaux) be flying Excel Airways MAN-DLM-MAN  Big grin
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Pe@rson

Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:21 pm

Umm I thought I was fully organsing this one, as I can definitely attend? If you look, my proposal is in Ben's thread about the LHR meet. I recommend 14-15th August. But feel free to organise it yourselves.

I was going to give full details in about a week's time, to enable everyone to 'recover' from the LHR meet and enable them to properly plan ahead.

[Edited 2004-04-05 15:22:40]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

EGGD

Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:24 pm

Woah woah, 14-15th August is a little late isn't it?

I think the end of July is good, we don't want to be waiting forever! I should almost be a cert for this one if everything goes to plan.

Airplanepics

Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:26 pm

I wont be able to go in August, already away - family holiday!

July sounds ok to me.

Simon
Simon - London-Aviation.com

gkirk

Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:30 pm

August sounds ok.

The message you were about to post is too short and probably not of any higher value to the topic at hand. You should think long and hard before posting a message in this forum and make it detailed and a valuable addition to the topic discussed.

Avoid posting "Me Too" messages. These are messages that are posted by people who agree to a point being discussed and post a one liner, "me too!", "Good post Jim!", "I disagree" or similar message. This takes up time as readers must sort through these messages which have no real value to the group at large. Any message containing nothing more than a line or two of text is probably not worth posting.

If you have an opinion on a topic, you should in detail express why you have the opinion and what made you come to that conclusion.

Your post should be relevant to the topic discussed

UTA_flyinghigh

Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:30 pm

Pe@rson I'm not hijacking your meeting, I think it is pretty clear to everyone who shall (-----) be organising that one.
I just realised that my FR voucher has to be booked (note : not flown) before th end of this month, after that, it shall (what do you say after that occurence?) be lost.
Henceforth my need to get a date before 01/05 Big grin

I would definately prefer July to shoot aircrafts (coming out of the hanger), the weather will prolly be better than this WE  Smile

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

MYT332

Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:34 pm

UTA, give me your voucher if you cant use it  Big grin
One Life, Live it.

Pe@rson

Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:36 pm

LOL. I understand UTA. I am a bit stressed, as I'm in the process of moving. Oh the joy! Sadly it will be repeated in September.

Anyway, I'm flexible about the main MAN meet, so 17-18th July? Should be slightly warmer, too, I hope.

In the next week I'll be making definite plans, so look out for the proper thread. It'll probably be called the 'Mega MAN Meet' or something similarly silly.

Have a look in Ben's thread for an outline of the MAN meet.

"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Shamrock_747

Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:38 pm

17th-18th July is good for me!

gordonsmall

Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:43 pm

I'm easy as long as we can get it sorted well in advance - I need to get my days off booked at work to make sure I don't have a fuck-up like this time!

Regards,
Gordon.
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

Pe@rson

Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:49 pm

OK, the dates are sorted - there's no more compromising or changing now. The Mega MAN Meet will be held over the weekend of the 17th and 18th July. Full details will be posted in a new thread - and hopefully in 'important' places, like on the front page - in a week.

gordonsmall

Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:55 pm

Good news Pe@rson,

Any idea what hotel we will be occupying - I looked at the SAS one on expedia the other day but the rooms worked out at nearly £100 a night with the VAT added - dunno what price they are directly through the hotel though.

Regards,
Gordon.

teahan

Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:56 pm

What about the weekend after so those of us coming from far could combine it with the Fanborough Air Show in London?

(Public days are Saturday the 24th and Sunday the 25th of July)

Jeremiah
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

mhodgson

Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:59 pm

17/18th good for me too.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

UTA_flyinghigh

Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:59 pm

Well done Pe@rson !!!
Let's hope we have a large turnout and nice weather  Big thumbs up

UTA

Shamrock_747

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:01 pm

I think combining MAN and Farnborough could be a little tricky... I think the MAN meet ought to be two days and July 17th/18th would be a good weekend for it.

Perhaps we could have a smaller meet at LHR or LGW on Friday 23rd July, the day before Farnborough.

gkirk

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:02 pm

Gordon, do you drive? Maybe you could pick us up on your way past Dumfries if you do  Big grin  Laugh out loud

RJ100

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:04 pm

Sounds good. My last exam is on July 16th  Big thumbs up

If I attend I will fly EasyJet into LPL. Inbound fare on the 17th is CHF19.95 at the moment  Smile while the outbound flight is already at CHF51.95  Sad I'd better hurry up with my decision wether to come or not...

RJ100
none

Pe@rson

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:05 pm

This is the problem: there's ALWAYS someone who wants it on a different date! LOL. I'll stick with 17th/18th July, as some people I know can't attend the weekend after.

I am in the process of trying to arrange a BBQ - with a range of food - at the Airport Hotel (excellently located very near the runways) for the 17th. Also trying to get special visits to the stored aircraft (Concorde, 146, so-to-be Trident, etc.) at the MAN viewing area, plus an airport ramp tour. Full details ASAP.

I will obviously enquire into getting bulk-buying, group discounts at the SAS Rad - a hotel which is normally extremely expensive. I will also look into other conveniently-located places. The Airport Hotel has some rooms, so perhaps we can get a discount on them by booking all of them. Will see.

Here's the rough plan of action for the 17th and 18th July:

1) Meet at 9-10am (or later if necessary) at the car park and proceed to the excellent spotting area near the runways. Spend the day there watching the movements, while sunning ourselves;

2) Go to the seemingly excellently-located pub in the early evening (perhaps around 6pm). Hopefully have a BBQ (G'day mate! Yeah, when you're 'out bush' and a bit crook for some fair dinkum tucker, grab a chook out the dunny bag, put it on the rock and fry. Bonza!) outside while watching the planes and drinking copious amounts of alcoholic beverages (or not so much, eh MYT?  Wink/being sarcastic );

3) Proceed to the hotel (perhaps SAS Rad. if we can secure a good bulk-buying discount). Pe@rson will be having sex with some fine lass (i.e. my fiancee), but enough about that;

4) Meet up for breakfast the next morning (perhaps 8 O'Clock - not sure yet) and then go back to the viewing area near the runways. Spend the day there (or part thereof, if necessary); and

5) Bid farewell and go our seperate ways, hopefully with smilies on our faces and memories in our hearts (God, that sounds sloppy).

I will fully organise it this time so there will be no problems but rather lots of laughs and bloody good times.

If I get someone to smile sweetly (like this ---> Big grin ) I am hoping that the A.nutter people will enable me to put an 'ad' on the front page and in other noticeable places, in order to generate more interest. I don't know if they will (they generally seem a bit, umm, 'conservative' and, umm, moody), but then it would not be happening but for being a part of this community.

[Edited 2004-04-05 16:09:25]

gkirk

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:08 pm

Sounds good.
Pe@rson, some bad news though. I think Ryanair only have 3 or 4 daily flights into MAN nowadays  Wink/being sarcastic  Laugh out loud

aviationfreak

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:10 pm

Waaaaaaaaaah nooooooo! How can you guys pick that weekend! That's the only weekend in Juli and August I can't.  Crying
I love both Airbus and Boeing as much as I love aviation!

Pe@rson

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:15 pm

Looks like you'll be changing your plans, eh Freak?  Wink/being sarcastic Sorry mate, but it'd be impossible to find a date which suits everyone.  Sad

gordonsmall

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:16 pm

GKirk,

Yes, I'll probably be driving down since it's only a couple of hundred miles - and yes there would be no problem in me picking you and anyone else fairly local up, as it would only be a 15 minute diversion at most.

Even if you were still in Glasgow/Paisley at the time there wouldn't be a problem as the time could easily be made up by taking the M74 instead of the Dumfries road on the way down.

But yes, the chances are almost 100% that I'll be driving, it's only about 3 - 3 1/2 hours at most, and if we leave fairly early we'll miss most of the traffic on the way down.

I'll keep you informed.

Regards,
Gordon.

aviationfreak

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:23 pm

I can understand that Pe@rson. But I still don't like it and it's almost impossible to change my plans.

gkirk

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:25 pm

3) Proceed to the hotel
Or if some people cant afford a hotel, some of the seats in T1 are pretty comfy  Wink/being sarcastic

dc-10 levo

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:28 pm

That is the date for the RAF Fairford Air Tattoo!

DC-10

ben

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:31 pm

oh no.... well I can do any time but would be good to see Aviationfreak there.

Pe@rson

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:32 pm

Yes, but then we'll find someone who can't do that date... it's a no-win situation. As much as I'd like to see Freak there, we will might have to go with the majority, especially as I've already contacted several people about tours and meals. Still, I'll see what I can do.  Smile

UTA_flyinghigh

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:34 pm

I think Aviationfreak should arrange an AMS meeting after the MAN one  Big thumbs up

UTA

Pe@rson

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:40 pm

OK, I GIVE IN TO PUBLIC OUTCRY - THE MEGA MAN MEET WILL BE ON THE 10th-11th JULY. THIS MEANS THAT FREAK AND THOSE GOING TO FARN. AND FAIRFORD ON DIFFERENT DATES CAN ATTEND. THIS DATE IS FINAL; IT WON'T BE CHANGED.

RJ100

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:44 pm

I shall (les Eaux Big grin ) not attend then as I have an exam the next day.

But I will attend Aviationfreak's AMS meeting if he is organizing one  Big thumbs up

Have fun in MAN!

RJ100
none

UTA_flyinghigh

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:46 pm

I have a better idea - set up webcams and we'll have a virtual a.net meeting  Laugh out loud

UTA

Pe@rson

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:49 pm

LOL. See, this is the problem with organising a get-together: someone will be unable to attend. Unfortunately it would be impossible to arrange a large meet on a date when everyone can attend. Accordingly, we'll have to go with the majority.

I've contacted the people to let them know it's now 10th-11th July, so there can be no more changes.

RJ100 mate - don't worry. I'll come to BSL soon and we can have a beer or two.

RJ100

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:56 pm

Hey Pe@rson

As you know all dates after July 16th are ok for your BSL visit.
Damn, I need to find a new reason now to fly on EasyJet's new BSL-LPL service  Sad  Smile  Big grin

RJ100

none

MYT332

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:58 pm

Yea i'll be attending, im sure my auntie will get over the fact i'm gonna miss her birthday lol.
One Life, Live it.

Pe@rson

Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:02 am

"Damn, I need to find a new reason now to fly on EasyJet's new BSL-LPL service"

Can visit me - we can go out drinking in Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds... wherever.  Laugh out loud

RJ100

Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:07 am

Would be cool Pe@rson. Sooner or later I will be somewhere in the North...

none

alcregular

Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:26 am

Lets not forget who suggested the MAN meet, was it not moi??? Im definately there. It's usually the weekend I work, but will book my hols off first thing tomorrow. If anyone needs a lift in the North-East, let me know and I will try to accommodate.
Why drive when you can fly?

707CMF

Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:39 am

I've looked at the schedules, I can have a flight with Air France for not too much, so ou can expect me as well

LYS-ORY-CDG-MAN (the infamous ORY-LYS connection)
MAN-CDG-LYS

4 flights, 4 jumpseats ?

aviationfreak

Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:29 am

Oh no. It wasn't my intention to spoil the party for others. I'm sorry RJ100.
I guess this statement applies to me: "Please God help me to keep my mouth shut until I know what I'm talking about" Embarrassment

I think Aviationfreak should arrange an AMS meeting after the MAN one

I guess I owe you guys that. In fact I was thinking about that quite a while. I'll be happy to arrange one for September or early October because the weather really sucks after that. Although it would be fun to spot planes at the north-south runways when there are heavy cross winds. And MYT332 can experience the rain in the Netherlands then.  Big grin
I'll open a thread about this soon but I shall (be at the MAN meet) write my trip report about last week first.
You can e-mail me from now on the data you prefer and which weekend you absolutely cannot attend. Also let me know whether September / October is too soon after the MAN meet or not. If that is the case the meet will be in spring next year. I'm open for any other suggestions. Please e-mail me first until I open an AMS meet thread since this one is only for the MAN meet.

RJ100, I hope EZY is flying BSL-AMS by then.  Big grin

If it was possible to add a user more then once some of you would appear twice on my respected users list.

Wouldn't it be a good idea too use our signatures to generate interest for the MAN meet.

Aviationfreak

RJ100

Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:40 am

No problem at all Aviationfreak. As Pe@rson said before, there is no date where all of us can attend.
Have fun there and yes I hope Easy is adding BSL-AMS. Or KLM Cityhopper  Smile

Best regards,
RJ100
none

MYT332

Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:48 am

And MYT332 can experience the rain in the Netherlands then.

Haha, well im sure you'd lend me your leather jacket again! I would have died if it wasnt for that! Honestly my hands went blue and started cracking,whats that all about!!

One Life, Live it.

aviationfreak

Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:04 am

RJ100, yes I know but I feel guilty that the date changed due to my wining and therefore you can't attend. What a relief you're not pissed at all.  Laugh out loud

MYT, I'll bring a lot of spare coats and other warm clothes.  Laugh out loud

Aviationfreak