This is the official thread for the Mega MAN Meet.
Accordingly, please respond to this thread only with things concerning it, including confirming your attendance, confirming your participation in tours, any queries you may have, and so forth.
The Mega MAN Meet
will be held over the weekend of 10th and 11th July.
It is being held during this month because it should be nice and warm and thus more conducive to an outdoor get-together. It is being held on these dates so that people can still attend Fairford and Farnborough, if they wish to.
Please note that the planning is currently ongoing – I am awaiting replies from people and businesses – so I cannot yet confirm what will and what will not be happening. Nevertheless, the following is a plan which should come to fruition (I will obviously inform you of any changes).
1) Meet at 0930 (if not possible, please state your ETA in this thread) at the car park spectators' area (where there’s a good view of the movements) and proceed to the excellent visitors’ area (visit http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/web.nsf/Content/ViewingPark) near the runways (by public bus). Spend the day there watching the movements, while sunning ourselves;
2) Hopefully have a tour sometime between noon and 1500 of the aircraft (hopefully including the Avro, the MON
DC-10, and hopefully both the Trident and the Concorde) present in the visitors’ area. There will be an entrance fee to all of these, the cost of which I will let you know ASAP (as soon as I know; please note that these will have to be specially opened for us). If you do or do not wish to go inside the aircraft, please let me know.
2) Go to the seemingly excellently-located pub (The Airport Hotel; visit www.airporthotel.freeserve.co.uk) about 1700 (5pm). I am hoping to arrange an outdoor BBQ, so that we can continue watching the movements and take advantage of the evening sun and warmth. If you require vegetarian food, please let me know. If a BBQ is not possible, we shall hopefully have a sit-down meal indoors, before and after which we can watch the movements. Naturally we can drink copious amounts of alcoholic beverages (or as little as you want (good idea, MYT
) or none) during the evening. If you do or do not want a meal, please reply to this thread.
3) Proceed to the hotel for the night. I am currently awaiting replies from a few hotels concerning a group discount. At the moment, the SAS Radisson (connected to the airport terminal by a walkway; visit www.sasradisson.com) is probably the best choice, but it’s also expensive. I’ll let you know the prices ASAP. If you do or do not require accommodation, please reply to this thread.
4) Meet up in reception (of whichever hotel) for breakfast the next morning (perhaps 0800; this will be confirmed);
5) At about 0930, hopefully have a tour of tour of Northern Executive Aviation situated in the cargo area, which offers superb close-up views of both the runways and taxiways. There will be a charge for this, of which I will know soon. If you wish to go on this tour or if you don’t, please reply to this thread.
6) Return to the excellent visitors’ area and spend the rest of the day there, until you must bid farewell and go your separate way.
Please do note that the above is subject to both confirmation and change. I am confident that I can confirm tours and the hotel within a week or so – so I will obviously let you know when I know. Naturally you can provisionally add your name and change if necessary later.
Please reply adding your username to the relevant sections.
This is really important. Please copy and paste the heading, like '1) I will be coming:' and then add your username. I will update the list every day or two, so we know who is coming and who’s doing what.
1) I will be coming:
2) I will try my hardest to arrive at the car park spectators’ area by 0930:
3) I will not be there by 0930. I will hopefully arrive at:
4) I would like to go on the tours (if you only want to go on certain aircraft, please say which. If you don’t, I will assume you want to go on all of them):
5) I do not want to go on any of the tours:
6) I would like to have a sit-down meal or BBQ, whichever can be arranged:
7) I would not like to have a sit-down meal or BBQ:
8) I will be requiring accommodation:
9) I will not be requiring accommodation:
10) I would like to go on the tour of the Northern Executive Aviation ramp:
11) I would not like to go on the tour of the Northern Executive Aviation ramp:
Again, please do note that the above itinerary is subject to both confirmation and change. I am confident that I can confirm tours and the hotel within a week or so – so I will obviously let you know when I know. Naturally you can provisionally add your name and change if necessary later.
I am very confident that the weekend will be both excellent and memorable, so why miss out on it? COME ALONG AND ENJOY!
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."