MaverickM11
Topic Author

Walmart: How Bad Is It Really?

Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:38 am

Next to the US, the liberals favorite target is Walmart, and while I've heard all the arguments as to why it's the devil's spawn, I've never been convinced. Anybody care to try?
E pur si muove -Galileo

WellHung

RE: Walmart: How Bad Is It Really?

Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:43 am

No, their second favorite target next to the US is ice cream. With sprinkles, of course. Rotary dial phones, non-ballpoint pens and computer mouse balls are all up there on the list, as well.

I think you just earned yourself a new nickname, Sprinkles.

seb146

Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:31 am

This is only me personally:

I never shop at Wal-Mart because, while everything there is low priced, the quality is poor. The mall is less crowded but also sells higher quality merchandise and actually has more of a selection even though one pays a little more. I think some people just simply look at price and have forgotten that quality is important as well. Example: I paid $10 for a high quality sweater from Meier & Frank. $10 is mid-priced and mid-quality at Wal-Mart.

One other reason I never shop there is the service. I love my stores: Meier & Frank, ExpressMen, Fossil, Anchor Blue, Ross.... the list goes on. The clerks there actually try to help. The last time I was in Wal-Mart and asked where something was the clerk was either on break and ignored me or, with the waive of a hand, said "Over there somewhere...." and walked away. I know they are busy stocking and breaks are manditory, but two seconds to answer a question is all I ask.

Plus, those narrow aisles and the families of 20.......

No, the mall is way better for me.

GO CANUCKS!!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

sushka

Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:54 am

I go to Walmart for groceries mainly, but also sometimes for other things too. They are the cheapest around so I like it. If other stores are mad about the low prices they should do something about like lower their prices too and not just complain.
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

Go3Team

Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:01 am

Speaking of Wal Mart, how did they fare in the referendum yesterday?
Yay Pudding!

ProSimTec

Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:07 am

Speaking of Wal Mart, how did they fare in the referendum yesterday?

They crashed and burned...Somewhere around 60% against

Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:33 am

They only exist to run small business out of a market then jack prices back up to disgusting levels. They can do this because they are so large and can buy in quantity smaller stores never see. Personally I do a fair portion of my grocery shopping there unless I can avoid it but their meat and produce is low quality so I happily pay a few cents more at HEB for stuff that is decent.

As for other household items, I do get some it at wally world simply because it is so cheap. I am too poor to have principles.

doug_or

Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:24 am

how exactly does wal*mart do any more damage to small buisness than target or K-mart? I used to avoid the place, but I've met a few employees recently, none of whom hate their job as much as one would expect at that sort of place. I do know they are militantly anti-union, though some on this board might consider that good thing...
When in doubt, one B pump off

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:34 am

"They only exist to run small business out of a market then jack prices back up to disgusting levels"

I have never seen any valid proof of this. Can you verify what you've said? I understand all the charges that have been leveled against Walmart but the proof I've seen thus far is breathtakingly thin. In this case, Walmart still sells (and competes with) the same items on the internet, so it can't raise prices back to "disgusting levels". What is a "disgusting level" for a bottle of shampoo anyhow?

[Edited 2004-04-07 23:36:42]
E pur si muove -Galileo

DodgeCharger

Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:45 am

I try an avoid the super Wal-Mart where I live because it is just flat out one of the dirtiest places to go, and the kids that are there usually need to be restrained on a leash of some sort.

Also, is it me or do rednecks and thugs go to wal-mart and just "hang out" at Wal-mart. I don't think they buy anything, they just "hang out."

I prefer the Target in my town which although little pricier is much much cleaner, the employees dont smell, and they actually seem to help you if you have a question.

diesel1

Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:12 am

Walmart...bad really bad

Anti union, and exploitation of overseas workers are 2 very good reasons to spend your money elsewhere
I don't like signatures...

bhill

Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:22 am

..see the post on "White Trash Furniture"..Wal-Mart..just say no!!
Carpe Pices

North County

Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:27 am

Seb146,

Walmart has a great selection of sporting goods, BBQ's, hardware and gardening items. Great prices.

Who goes to Walmart for clothes?

Malls are for clothing.

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:19 am

"Anti union, and exploitation of overseas workers are 2 very good reasons to spend your money elsewhere"

I'm anti-union so that's not a problem, and I don't believe their overseas employment is any better or worse than Target, Kmart, Gap, etc, etc.
E pur si muove -Galileo

deltairlines

Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:29 am

I have nothing against Walmart...the ones in the Boston area, from my personal experiences, are pretty decent and attract a pretty well-to-do crowd. I will admit I don't buy my clothes from there, but their electronics department is pretty good, as I have bought digital cameras, FS2004, joysticks, and many other things from there.

Jeff

Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:45 am

Surprise to you - we have Wal*Mart in Argentina.
Looks very much like the ones in the USA.
xxx
The other large chain is Carrefour (France) in Argentina.
The two hyper-market chains are about equivalent.
I definitely prefer Carrefour, better foods, meats, wines...
Other than that, Wal*Mart and Carrefour are about equal.
xxx
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

diesel1

Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:47 am

Maverick M11

Proves you're a **** (everyone, choose your favourite insult here), but then again we all knew that as soon as we read your post

Hey no worries, you'll grow up some day.
Then you'll understand the stupidity and short sightedness of what you've written

L-188

Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:09 am

Like anything, it really depends on the store.

The one close to my house is actually pretty nice, it is a smaller one.

There is one in town however that we refer to as the "Ghetto Wal-mart".

Deisel one, you don't have enough seniority on this site to call anybody anything.

Besides all unions are good for is to shake me down for another $75 a month for nothing.

What ever happened to just doing a good job?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

EA CO AS

Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:36 am

While I don't always agree with union propaganda, this stands out, particularly the part in boldface.

Behind the door of every Wal-Mart superstore lies a global empire of sweatshops where basic human rights are ignored and managers compete to exploit workers to the greatest extent possible.

No cliche or description can do adequate justice to the economic misery spawned my thousands of Wal-Mart stores metastasizing across the U.S. and Canada. Good paying manufacturing jobs in North America are disappearing faster than rain forests in Brazil as entire industries decamp for low wage locations to preserve their contracts with the price-squeezing retailer.

China is now home to more than 80% of the 6,000 factories suppyling goods to Wal-Mart. Labor and human rights groups routinely point to starvation wages and government indifference to horrific working conditions among reasons why Wal-Mart favors the world's most underdeveloped nations.

Using its vast purchasing power, Wal-Mart demands deep cost cutting from suppliers - a strategy that rewards companies with the lowest wages and the least benefits while encouraging even more companies to move production overseas.

Teaming up for what is being called "the ultimate joint venture," China and Wal-Mart are threatening to set benchmarks for wages and working conditions around the world. From health care and pensions to workplace safety and consumer protection, Wal-Mart is leading the way in the race to the bottom.

The high cost of Wal-Mart's low prices should be reason enough for most community-conscious consumers to think twice before patronizing the megastores. For union menbers, the toll in lost jobs alone is reason to do everything possible to make their homes and communities "Wal-Mart Free."

I've said it before and I'll say it again - we, the consumers, are the ones to blame for this latest bit of evolution in the economic cycle. We've voted with our wallets for low prices, and the manufacturers have realized that they can't cut quality, so they must cut production costs, namely wages and benefits. Many times, they simply close up shop and move the manufacturing jobs overseas, where foreign workers will gladly take the job for a fraction of the cost of an American worker - with no benefits whatsoever.

It's not illegal or even immoral - but we're the ones to blame for what's going on here.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

WellHung

Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:40 am

I have a hard time blaming myself when the owners of WalMart are something like #4-8 on the richest people in the world list. Obviously they're in it to make a profit, but that's not the point. I also have a hard time blaming myself when the executives outsource and congratulate themselves on their cost-cutting by increasing their bonuses.

What they realize is, they can't cut THEIR salaries.

[Edited 2004-04-08 02:42:25]

yyz717

Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:42 am

I never shop at Wal-Mart because, while everything there is low priced, the quality is poor.

I agree. It's only worthwhile for some disposables that you can buy en masse. Cases of diet coke or laundry detergent.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:01 am

"Maverick M11

Proves you're a **** (everyone, choose your favourite insult here), but then again we all knew that as soon as we read your post

Hey no worries, you'll grow up some day.
Then you'll understand the stupidity and short sightedness of what you've written
"

Good argument! The name calling really packed the punch in your argument. *eyeroll* A)I'm open to seeing any rational argument against Walmart. B) I personally feel that unions are antideluvian Luddites who would have campaigned against things like the printing press, the car, and even airplanes because it would put manuscript writers, horse and buggy drivers, and the train employees out on the street. Trade protection has failed each and every time it's been put in place, and unions are a form of trade protection. Instead of protecting goods, you're protecting jobs, which in the end, result in higher prices, higher taxes, and less competition, and that hurts everyone. I'm sorry as a Briton you feel so French. But here's a newsflash, the world's best economies with the highest per capita income didn't get that way because they protected their goods and services products and jobs.
E pur si muove -Galileo

JetChaser

Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:03 am

Diesel1;

Anti union, and exploitation of overseas workers are 2 very good reasons to spend your money elsewhere

What evidence do you have to support "exploitation of overseas workers"?

JetChaser

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:09 am

EA CO AS,

Could you provide some background? Where did that article come from? While I believe that there are sweatshops and shady manufacturing plants all over the place, the products that Walmart buys from them are mostly name brand products that are sold everywhere from Target to Bob's General store. Also, what were these employees doing before they started working for these sweatshops? I'm guessing it was either subsistence farming or something less rewarding. While they may not be in a great position right now, their wealth will increase, and so will their demands for better labor practices in concert with the outside world's demands. Sweatshops, in essence, aren't a good thing, but they are far better than subsistence farming especially when they provide the basis from which to garner better labor practices and higher wages for such a large sector of society.
E pur si muove -Galileo

EA CO AS

Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:10 am

What evidence do you have to support "exploitation of overseas workers"?

Just my $0.02 worth, but I think "exploitation" is a subjective term here.

If you tell a U.S. factory worker that the Chinese factory worker is earning just $20.00 a day, with no paid vacation, health care, or retirement plan he'd say the worker was being exploited.

However, if that Chinese factory worker has never earned more than $20.00 a MONTH before, and previously worked in the fields all day under the hot sun, I'm sure he'd tell you his new employer is wonderful and benevolent and he's happy as a clam.

It all depends on whose point of view you happen to look at.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

EA CO AS

Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:13 am

Could you provide some background? Where did that article come from?

It was a print article I'd seen, published by the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers.

As I said before, I don't really buy into union propaganda - but they raise some interesting points.

Either way, as much as some people don't like it, outsourcing jobs is part of the natural evolution of a market economy. It's not right or wrong - it just is.

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:19 am

"If you tell a U.S. factory worker that the Chinese factory worker is earning just $20.00 a day, with no paid vacation, health care, or retirement plan he'd say the worker was being exploited.

However, if that Chinese factory worker has never earned more than $20.00 a MONTH before, and previously worked in the fields all day under the hot sun, I'm sure he'd tell you his new employer is wonderful and benevolent and he's happy as a clam."

THANK YOU! Circle gets a square!

Moreover I find it somewhat hard to believe that a company as big and visible as Walmart would employ such sweatshops when multitudes of unions and NGOs are more than happy to draw attention to such a practice. If ever a NGO or union accuses a company (or personality, Ms Gifford) of using sweatshops, you're dead! It's like being accused of pedophilia in that it's a tremendously difficult accusation to wipe away. I don't doubt that sweatshops exist but it's incredibly tough for a large, transparent organization to use them.
E pur si muove -Galileo

IHadAPheo

Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:29 am

I use Wal-Mart for what it is in my mind...a place to save some cash on selected items. I however would much rather shop at Target if a was in the department store mood. As strangeas it may seem I use my local wholesale club (BJ's) for everything I can, if you kno your prices you can save a bundle and still get name brands.

I would not however purchase big ticket items (TV's etc) at Wal-Mart but for some items I will shop there
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

AA7771stClass

Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:38 am

Disclaimer: I have and do shop at Walmart and am quite hypocritical in my statement, but admitting stupidity is the first step to gaining knowledge...

EA CO AS is exactly right. I can't make you change your mind nor will I likely be able to get my point across in font because we may not carry out dialogue to clear up discrepancies. Let us first look around and note some things about Walmart. Walmart is prevelant in the South (though it is moving as quickly as it can to every other area of the globe than it may). You will also notice that Walmart has not made the big jump into the true cities; they abound in suburbs and small towns across the U.S. So in a very broad sense the wealthy, living in cities, have not taken to Walmart yet because they are the ones smart enough to realize that it doesn't really benefit them. So you save 10 cents on a can of soup from what your old grocer charged, but where is your grocer now? We, by supporting Walmart, have run small-town self-owned businesses into the ground. You cannot compare Target and Kmart in this because they are no better, they just have less market share. See in cities such as Chicago and especially New York, you can walk by tons of self-owned shops and restaurants, but not any longer in the suburbs and small towns especially. Like I said though, it's not just Walmart; it's every chain restaurant etc. So we, yes WellHung, we have created this monster that keeps growing, and will continue to grow because nobody, including myself, will a) admit that we did it b) stop shopping there. You cannot blame the Welton family for this because basically they outsmarted every consumer in America by convincing them to buy from them instead of local places or even smaller chains... And as business grew, so did their power. Someday perhaps they will become the next AT&T with a required break-up but not soon enough...

doug_or

Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:49 pm

I almost always avoid shopping there unless I'm with someone whos going, but at some point i itnhk it needs to be explained why we're so afraid of loosing small/ independant shops. Are we pissed our hard earned money ends up in Alabmam or Arkansas or wherever? do we really miss the small shops (if so, why aren't we shopping at them?).
When in doubt, one B pump off

NKP S2

Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:47 pm

How bad? Depends.

I hate "shopping center" traffic.

I strongly dislike wandering stores larger than Luxembourg

I don't particularly care for sullen/evasive "asscoiates" and slow moving checkout lines

I like the feeling of relative superiority of comparing myself to boorish fat bastards ( and bastardettes, replete with dirty, ill-behaved offspring ) lacking social graces that seem to pass for a signifigant percent of the clientele I happen upon in my very infrequent visits there.

That the operation are basically scumbags that toss stewardship into the wind is just the cherry on the cake.......

CLEfan

Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:01 pm

Here is why I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart: http://www.forbes.com/newswire/2004/01/13/rtr1208409.html

Wal-Mart violates child labor laws and break and meal laws. Who makes that claim? An internal Wal-Mart audit.

phxairfan

Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:09 pm

Walmart is good for groceries, when you are in college. Beer when you want a 24 pack for under 10$. Present's for large amounts of people, and stuff to fix your car when it decides to break at 11:00pm on your way home from your girlfriends. While the quality may not be great, when you have a very limited budget, that is further limited by saving for plane tickets. Walmart is a nice thing to have around. I happened to shop for an outfit to a dance at my girlfriends school at Walmart, and it is a quite decent pants/shirt/tie combo. If you want quality go to the mall. If you shop on a budget, go to Walmart.

L-188, You must have been to Baton Rouge, the home of the original ghetto Walmart.

Conversation with ghetto Walmart employee. "My Friend: where can I find distilled water? Employee: huh? Friend: Distilled water. Employee: you mean like drinkin water?" We went to Albertsons for the distilled water.

diesel1

Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:09 pm

The following links make interesting reading, and give some details on the kind of practices that make Walmart the company they are today...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2496357.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/1397943.stm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,1020693,00.html

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,6903,882102,00.html

There's also http://www.walmartsucks.org/

Good reading...

BestWestern

Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:49 pm

Interesting article... WalMart is the US's largest employeer. In the UK, Asda (walmart has 100% ownership) is voted the best place to work.

The staff at my local Asda are consistently more friendly than at the more expensive food stores, and the groceries are a good 10% cheaper than Sainsbury's for similar brand products.

You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

LHMark

Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:58 pm

I have a buy-from-the little-guy ethos. I feel that the community is healthier when smaller businesses are nurtured. Therefore, I usually make a decision not to pay a little more and search a little harder for what I want.

When it comes to large corporate chains: Wal-Mart, Applebees, etc., I can't help but feel like I'm being "farmed," that a few are growing obscenely wealthy off the backs of many who will never get that chance, and that my choice as a consumer is the only power I have. So I stay away.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

N6376M

Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:10 pm

What I don't get is that everyone seems to hate Walmart yet they continue to grow. I see a lot of parallels to LCC.

I think that Walmart has redefined the value proposition. The advertise everyday low prices and that's what you get. A dirty store with poor customer service and employees who help you very little but very low prices.

As for any talk of the quality, well that may be true on clothing, but everything else that is made by third parties (i.e. Rubbermaid, P&G, Stanley, Black & Decker, etc . . .) is exactly the same product that is sold in any other store. Therefore, if you have a quality problem, it's with the manufacturer.

American have demonstrated that price is the leading factor in their spending behavior, both at Walmart and the LCC.

Like Walmart, Southwest provides very little amenities yet continues to grow. So notwithstanding all the call for PTV and 38" of pitch in each coach seat people continue to fly them and do so happily. They've redefined the value proposition in air travel the same way Walmart did it in stores.

BestWestern

Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:33 pm

Why buy from multinational supermarket A when you can buy the exact same branded product from B cheaper.

Especially when the B experience is better than A?

You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

Boeing757/767

Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:39 am

I avoid WalMart at all costs. My reasons:

-- Poor quality merchandise. My wife shops there (to my chagrin) and some of the stuff (luggage in one case) was poorly made and broke soon after.

-- Too big. "Toothpaste? Aisle 93." I want to go in, find what I want and leave. That's only possible in smaller places.

-- Low-quality work force. As much as I despise unions, employees there are paid too low, and it shows.

-- Killing the local stores. This to me is the biggest issue. As stated above, WalMart is driving locally-owned stores (with better merchandise and better staff) away. Which brings us to ...

-- The homogonizing of American shopping. While WalMart is not alone, it contributes to the sameness you see everywhere -- the same chains, same architecture, the same products. Unfortunately, this is now spreading to other companies.
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

diesel1

Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:09 am

Best Western - you're right about Asda being a good employer - I know a number of people who work there from shop floor to area management and they all speak positively about it.

This is of course at odds with Wal-mart in the US and how they 'look after' their people.

I suspect the answer to why this is to be simple - the Asda people here still benefit from the Asda ethos (even 5 years after the Wal-mart takeover), and as yet the company has not been polluted by Wal-mart's crude and exploitative standards. I suspect too that Asda workers have always had trade union representation ?

MaverickM11.. pleased the name calling hurt...anyway as you're wounded, I'll do it again...you're still a ****  Wink/being sarcastic

You're taking a very one dimensional viewpoint of the role of unions - as does Wal-mart - basically the Union is bad.

Wal-mart have taken this a step further and says our employees don't need unions because we look after them...

What if there is a problem though? - there is no substitute for having the union help you through issues with pay or working conditions.

When dealing with huge organisations (like Wal-mart) the individual really does need that help!

The following is some of what the shopworkers Union in the UK stands for...

*To recruit, organise and represent workers in the retail, distributive, manufacturing and service sectors for the purpose of securing the best possible terms and conditions and providing support and protection at work.

- To achieve this goal we commit to:

*To maintain effective administration, financial and organisational systems to achieve efficiency and value or money in the delivery of systems to members.
*To establish negotiations and effective industrial relations with employers to achieve the best possible terms amd conditions for our members
*To develop a union profile that is responsive and relevant to the specific needs of members and potential members.
*To promote and campaign for the policies and interests of our members in the workplace,the politcal arena and the broader community
*To promote and strive for equality and to oppose all forms of discrimination that divide,weaken and undermine.
*To develop an effective network of workplace representatives and to provide effective encouragment,training and resources to enable them to recruit,assist and support members in their place of work.

All of the above is perfectly reasonable. And what's more achieved in partnership with some of the companies where they represent workers.

Problem is, a company like Wal-mart doesn't want partnership...

seb146

Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:00 am

The only reason to shop at Wal-Mart around here is in case you want to buy electronics, furniture, clothes, or pet supplies at 3AM. I find it way more convenient to go across the river to Target during normal hours and buy the exact same things. Living in the Portland/Vancouver area we have an advantage: Oregon residents show ID and do not pay the Washington sales tax of 7.6% (more in Seattle) on dry goods but Washington residents need only to drive across the river.

Back to the point: Yes, their camping equipment, electronics, CDs, etc. are cheap: mom bought me a $79 dollar futon but it is bending and creaking way too much after only six months of normal use! Could I ask for it to be fixed or get a new one at no cost? Heck no! It's Wal-Mart! I know from my little futon incident (there is a whole other story involved too) that next time, I will go to the indie futon store run by a sweet but gruff lesbian and pay $150 more for the lifetime guarantee.

Another point: I don't care for unions either. I have never belonged to a union but after living in the Seattle area and having Boeing go on strike again and again because they want more money and benefits, I have little sympathy for them. If my co-workers and I were union, do you know how much a taco would cost? I do shop for food at a non-union market called WinCo. They have EXACTLY what Safeway, Albertsons, Zupans, and Fred Meyer have but the prices are cheaper. Employees are friendly and helpful too. When I worked at Meier & Frank, we were not union but we were still glad to be there. I always did my best to show how much I enjoyed my job. Just because Wal-Mart is not union does not make it the scum of the Earth: I think the employees are just fed up with the clientele. I know I could not deal with that all day long....

My partner and I go to Target all the time. I worked at a recieving warehouse in Seattle that processed stock from China heading for Target. Yes, it seemed everything Target sells is from China. Should we boycott Target? Well, if you want. I would rather have good service even though there is 'exploitation' of labor going on (see previous post about $20 a day) than have bad service.

GO CANUCKS!!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

777236ER

Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:38 am

On the union issue: bad employers leads to unions, and usually bad unions. While the concept of unions is nobel, more often than not the unions themselves are out for money and benefits - whether their members deserve it or not.

That being said, there ARE genuine employee problems, and certain unions do help in certain situations.

I can't stand the constant strikes by certain unions (the RMT - the train union here in the UK, for example), for pay and benefit the union - but NO one else, especially the train passengers - believe its members deserve.

The best employers don't need unions. If employees are happy then they don't feel the need to form a union to push for more benefits. Take McDonald's for example: I don't think any of its employees belong to unions. While no one can say a simple McDonald's crew members is well paid, they work in a place with a good atmosphere, in teams and have very good career oportunities (manager, franchisee, whatever).
Your bone's got a little machine

diesel1

Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:40 am

There are Good employers & Bad employers
There are Good Unions & Bad Unions

Most Employers would probably say there is no need for unions - their employees may say different.

I work for a company considered a good employer - having said that I belong to my union - why? It's like an insurance policy.

copaair737

Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:19 am

I always stay clear of WalMart. I find it horribly dirty, and the rednecks who frequent there make me want to lose my lunch. Their kids are terribly misbehaved, and when I leave, I let out a sigh of relief. I mean, if I wanted to go to a freak show, I'd go to the circus.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

texan

Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:25 am

I've never seen evidence of WalMart coming into a town, driving the local stores out of business and then raising the prices astronomically high. They do come into towns and drive local stores out of business, but they usually do not raise their prices astronomically. What gets me is when they drive the local stores out then close down their store to force people to drive to the next town, effectively killing the first town. This has happened in a couple of places in Louisiana I know, and probably other places, but I cannot verify that completely.
And their attempt to open up shop in Inglewood in what would have been an illegal "agreement" anway shows just how far WalMart will go to try and get their way. The California AG stated that no action could be taken until after the outcome of the vote, but it appeared that aspects of WalMart's plans violated state laws (evading environmental and local planning regulations specifically). The voters of Inglewood voted down the measure by a 2-1 margin (apprx. 67%-33%).
I do shop at WalMart when up in the Colorado mountains because there are no small stores that I can find in Salida to buy hardly anything anymore. 10 years ago it was different, but, as EA CO AS said, it is our own fault for what is happening. I knew there was a reason I respected you even though I disagree with you a lot Smile
See y'all on down the road

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

TYSGoVols

Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:37 am

i love shopping at Wally World. The place is amazing, it has everything.

<>< Garen
Rocky Top You'll Always be home sweet home to me, Good ole' Rocky Top WOOOOO

DfwRevolution

Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:01 pm

I don't see what everyone has against WalMart. When I learned my neighborhood was getting one, I wasnt happy. They put the damn thing in the middle of a perferctly good field. It's Texas for chrissakes... couldn't they find another field?

Anyway.. I started shopping there and I was amazed. I L-O-V-E it. It's a little bit of every store you need in one place. Like a convience store on steroids. Sure I don't buy fancy clothing there, but maybe socks. Plus mine has a grocery store  Big thumbs up

Regards,
DFW

767Lover

Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:04 am

I have to challenge A7771stclass. He said, you will also notice that Walmart has not made the big jump into the true cities; they abound in suburbs and small towns across the U.S. So in a very broad sense the wealthy, living in cities, have not taken to Walmart yet because they are the ones smart enough to realize that it doesn't really benefit them.

Actually, as the following data points out, Wal-Mart is located in some of Atlanta's wealthiest areas. Consider the following:

Data from http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/profiles/zips/30338.html

Note that residents of zip code 30338 (where Wal-Mart Store #2360 is located: Dunwoody, Georgia) have median household income of $101,570 and median financial assets of $243,000 (compared to $43,596 and $60,283, respectively, for Atlanta proper.)

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/profiles/zips/30097.html
Residents of zip code 30097 (Wal-Mart Store # 3949; Duluth, Ga)
have median household income $111,788 and median financial assets of $270,000 compared to Atlanta numbers above.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/profiles/zips/30076.html

Residents of zip 30076 (Wal-Mart #1578; Roswell, GA)
Median HH income: $71,619, median financial assets $121,000 compared to Atlanta, above

This is just 3 examples of how Wal-Mart is strategically locating itself within wealthier communities in addition to more rural areas.

I'm neither "pro" nor "against" Wal-Mart, but in a capitalist society, he who gets the most customers wins...and enough people are shopping at Wal-Mart to keep them in business.

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:34 am

"http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2496357.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/1397943.stm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,1020693,00.html

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,6903,882102,00.html"

All these articles prove is that Walmart is accused of a lot of things, just like any other company. The sweatshops have been closed down and they make hundreds of visits per week to make sure that they are complying with higher standards. The company also faces lawsuits because it didn't promote the right people at the right time. Just about every company faces that kind of action at one point or another, or on a continual basis if you're a Fortune 500 company. Again, where is all the proof that it goes into a town, drives out the competition, and raises prices?
E pur si muove -Galileo