Kay
Topic Author

Learning Spanish!

Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:00 pm

due to work requirements and self development goals I am now taking a second-level course in.. Spanish. one of the most spoken languages, yet I don't speak it.

an incredibly effective method I found is this (that I recommend to any computer techie out there wanting to learn a language), I converted all the software I use, operating systems and the websites I visit to Spanish. It's terribly effective!!!

I installed WinXP Pro in Spanish at home, and guess what, before I even finish setting it up I was infected with the blaster worm. This warm takes hours of work to be removed, and I already feel more confident in the language after tyring to decypher the be-zillion messages I got from installing patches, service packs, antivirus software and tools in Spanish. I thought I wasn't going to gain much since I know all windows messages by heart, but this virus was a good help!  Big thumbs up
by the way, I still couldn't get rid of it.

As for the websites, well, my yahoo, sports and others are all converted to Spanish. Finally, all software I use, games and everything were either converted or re-donwloaded and re-installed in their Spanish version.

perfecto!

:D

zak

RE: Learning Spanish!

Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:11 pm

one thing to keep in mind though:
you will learn the systematic aspects of language that way, but the only way to learn a language is in the country.
this applies to any language, and is quite a convenient excuse to go to some of the great places spain has to offer.
10=2

alcregular

Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:15 pm

Im currently learning Spanish at evening classes at my local college. It was supposed to be a 10 week course, but because most people want to continue, they have extended the course to 20 weeks, so we start back after Easter break. I can't wait to get back, Im really enjoying it. got a really good book as well from the local book shop, called Breakthrough spanish, you can buy it on Amazon, and there are a pack for casettes to go with the book as well it you want to. It's a very good buy. Good luck with learning!!
Why drive when you can fly?

tranceport

Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:54 pm

I studied Spanish for over 10 years. Although I got the grammar and vocabulary down well, I found out you have to be immersed in a language to learn it. After all those years, I spent 30 days working in the Yucatan and learned more about Spanish in those thirty days than I did in years of studying.

MEA310

Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:55 pm

Kay

We have a lot of centers that offer Spanish courses in Lebanon,besides other languages.My sister attended Spanish courses for about 5 years,now she speaks the language as if it is her native language.

MEA310
M5 Fastest Sedan On Earth

lanperu

Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:05 pm

Tienen que ir a un pais en SudAmerica! All right, I am sure that some of you understood that...maybe I should offer "Online Courses" and charge you guys lol, well anyways good luck...it's nice to know more people are learning it.

dc-10 levo

Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:14 pm

I've been learning Spanish for the last 5 years at school and have become pretty good at it. We even have a proper Spanish teacher. I have my speaking exam on the 7th May.

DC-10

cannibalz3

Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:20 am

Si, tienen que is a un pais SudAmericano. Yo estaba casi seis meses en Bolivia y fue mejor que todos los clases de espanol. Para aprender una lengua, tienes que ir a un pais donde le hablan. Ok my Spanish is slipping some but the point is valid, I learned more in 6 months in-country than 8 years of classes.

Kay
Topic Author

Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:01 pm

yo quiero ir a España en un or dos años porque esta un pais muy guapo.

bullpitt

Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:59 am

One good way to get a feel for the language is to buy a DVD and watch the movies in Spanish, If you live in Europe you can buy them for Zone two and you'll find them both in the O.V and dubbed into Spanish. I do it the other way, I make my son listen to the movie in English and let him follow it with the subtitles in Spanish. Hope this idea helps you. And by all means try to come to Spain I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience. Un saludo a todos.
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others