racko

Japanese & South Koreans Taken As Hostages In Iraq

Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:37 pm

Apparently the situation gets worse and worse.

Al-Jazeera reports that the "Anti-occupation fighters" have kidnapped 3 Japanese citizens and German n-tv reports that they also have a few South Koreans.

"Anti-occupation fighters warn Japan to withdraw in 3 days or Japanese will be killed."

Do you think Japan will withdraw their troops ? And how will the completly messed up situation there be solved ?

mt99

RE: Japanese & South Koreans Taken As Hostages In Iraq

Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:39 pm

threatened Thursday to burn the Japanese alive if Tokyo did not withdraw from the U.S.-led coalition

This is getting worse and worse.  Sad

What have we as human race become? Here we are watching "American Idol" while stuff like this happens. Why is it that our top priority as humans is not to make sure that everyone is treated with respect and to help each other out.

Sh*t, that is what ants do!, Are we not better than ants?

[Edited 2004-04-08 16:52:25]
Step into my office, baby

Horus

Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:43 pm

It's a very sad situation, but I can't see it getting any better
EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

Alpha 1

Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:51 pm

These people are scumbags, but these scumbags have been given an openining by this ill-conceived war.

zak

Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:15 am

i dont think japan will withdraw their troops under any circumstance except a joint coalition withdrawal.

and those people, well i honestly think they should enjoy the last few days of their life because i think they will get killed by the insurgents.
there might be a remote chance that special forces will try to rescue them, considering the attitude of the insurgents, i doubt the hostages would survice the second their defenders would have realized what is going on.

sad but true, there are more victims to the war that never should have happened.
10=2

JeffM

Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:19 am

I agree ZAK, Saddam and Osama should have given up a long time ago and none of this would have been necessary.

Shame...

Bofredrik

Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:21 am

Leave Iraq to the Iraq:i people!!!
It is a disaster that US are there
and their "friends" from other countries.
US government is the biggest problem
in the question about war & peace.
Kick out Bush in november. A good start...

MidnightMike

Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:08 am

Well this clearly demostrates that it them against the world, they do not care who they attack, US, Spanish, Japanese, Koreans, Polish, hell even their own people.

They want to control their country and are already against the ruling party that was set to take control in June/2004.
NO URLS in signature

cba

Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:20 am

"These people are scumbags, but these scumbags have been given an openining by this ill-conceived war."

I completely agree. If the west had simply ignored and isolated those such as Bin Laden, we wouldn't have such a problem with them now. Unfortunately, dealing with them was like poking a hornet's nest. We opened pandora's box.

donder10

Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:29 am

Didn't we ignore him to a large extent pre-Nairobi/Dar es Salaam?

L-188

Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:59 pm

Al-Jazeera reports that the "Anti-occupation fighters"

Don't you just love how they try to find the least offensive to muslim names for those guys.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

pacificjourney

Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:50 pm

Peoples confidence that the Jap. govt. willl stand firm is touching but misplaced.

Such an event only confirms what all Japanese already think, everything outside Japan is dangerous and unpredictable and best avoided.

Public opinion here won't see it as cutting and running, rather a logical return to the safety of Japan. I predict they will fold !
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

Sabena 690

Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:20 pm

All this was predicted months before Bush went into Iraq.

Even on this forum, a lot of us warned the Bush-supporters that a democracy NEVER can be forced.

Bush unilaterally went into Iraq, without an International backing.

As said so much before the war, Bush only had a plann for the war itself, but not for what was going to happen after the war.

That even the Americans would not be able to control the situation after the war was predicted, and here we have the prove...

As much as those people are scumbags, like Alpha1 correctly pointed out, also Bush has blood on his hands for everyone that will die, because Bush used a totally wrong strategy.

The only thing that will MAYBE calm down Iraq is an INTERNATIONAL coalition, including the UN, and why not with the NATO participating.

Nice situation: leave Iraq allone, and you get a civil war. Stay in Iraq, and you are attacked + you lose control (something that Rumsfeld did not want to admit yesterday, is he connected to the Iraqi minister of information?).

Oh sorry, it's all Clinton's fault  Nuts

Frederic

tbar220

Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:30 pm

They also kidnapped two Arab Israeli citizens, one of whom was working on an aid project to help provide resources to physically disabled children for school (i.e. wheelchairs) in Iraq. Lovely isn't it...
NO URLS in signature

aviationmaster

Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:57 pm

If they want the troops out of there, then fine, why not retreat the troops. If a civil war is what they want, then fine, let them have a civil war, but they shouldn't come back and cry for International help when the situation gets even worse and they start killing eachother. I think only the Iraqi people themselves can and need to solve this problem, the UN (which will probably become a target again) or NATO won't be able to help much.

Christian

manni

Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:47 pm

MidnightMike,

It's not them against the world. It's them against the illegal invaders. Spain, the US, Italy, Poland and now Japan have all lost citizens in Iraq. The one thing that all these countrys have in common is a governement that supports and contributes to the illegal invasion. I'm very saddened that civilians lives, especially innocent ones like these Japanese are put into jeopardize, and the real jerks are talking rough language from the comfort of their office. I hope the japanese governement will choose to save the lives of their people... and the japanese people will follow Spain's example in getting rid of their governement.
SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

airworthy

Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:52 pm

Manni,

So is Syria helping the coalition? The last time I checked they weren't, and some of their citizens were still taken hostage.

To the terrorists it doesn't matter which country you're from or what your intent is, if they are able to use you for the advancement of their cause then they will do so.

tbar220

Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:34 pm

Manni,

I'll add, does Israel have any troops in the region? These terrorists also captured two Israeli aid workers, they don't seem to care.
NO URLS in signature

zak

Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:42 pm

two u.s. citizens and five italians have just been captured according to reports.
10=2

manni

Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:45 am

Airworthy,

'if they are able to use you for the advancement of their cause they will do so'

You mean like lying about weapons of mass destruction and evidence of weapons of mass destruction in order to justify an invasion and build up an international coalition?

VonRichtofen

Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:29 pm

"They also kidnapped two Arab Israeli citizens, one of whom was working on an aid project to help provide resources to physically disabled children for school (i.e. wheelchairs) in Iraq. Lovely isn't it..."

The gentlemen that was working with the children is actually a Syrian born Canadian. It's all over the news up here. His family is here, and they've been here for years. Nobody is sure why in that video of him he says he's Israeli. The Department of Foreign Affairs Canada has made contact with the militants and negotiations are underway for his release.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/04/10/canada/fadel040410

I just saw the video of the captured Japanese and South Koreans. They are in civilian clothing, I was under the impression they had captured military personnel. Anybody have info on what Japanese civilians were doing in Iraq?

wn700driver

Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:51 am

You mean like lying about weapons of mass destruction and evidence of weapons of mass destruction in order to justify an invasion and build up an international coalition?

Hate to be the one to inform you, but that really didn't matter to begin with. Saddam knew damned well that his days were numbered the second Bush was sworn in. If he were as smart as he thinks he is, he should have packed it up & skipped town when Bush gave him the opportunity. At least then he'd be living it up switzerland or somewhere nice like that.

As for these vermin in Iraq. . . I don't see American and coalition forces taking and incinerating hostages and innocent civilians. In fact, we have taken great strides to step around these people when attacking our targets. This scum on the otherhand, deliberately seek out soft targets. All that and they don't even have a real or worthwhile agenda. Just more terror & chaos. At least we have a plan that involves civilisation and profit on some level.
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

777236ER

Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:30 am

As for these vermin in Iraq. . . I don't see American and coalition forces taking and incinerating hostages and innocent civilians.

Though Iraqis and American forces have one thing in common: their governments have both started pre-emptive wars for stupid reasons.
Your bone's got a little machine

Wally236ER

Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:06 am

"Though Iraqis and American forces have one thing in common: their governments have both started pre-emptive wars for stupid reasons."

Whats your source?

ConcordeBoy

Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:42 am

Bush unilaterally went into Iraq, without an International backing.

Now there's a ~*BLATANTLY FALSE statement *~ if ever I saw one  Insane  Insane

The only thing that will MAYBE calm down Iraq is an INTERNATIONAL coalition

SIXTY ONE [61, LXI, 六十一] nations backed the Iraq war, more than half of them actively.

While I realize that uberlibs cannot accept that fact, seeing as the number of supportive nations wasn't 64............... but for the life of me, I still cannot figure out why some of you continually resort to this provenly utter hogwash  Yeah sure
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

Alpha 1

Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:46 am

At least we have a plan that involves civilisation and profit on some level.

We do? We may have had a plan up to getting a Constitution in place, but we certainly had no plan how to exit Iraq, and that's so apparent now.

Bush went into Iraq to allegedly fight terrorism. All he's done is increase the likelihood of terrorism against the west, and has introduced terrorism to the people of Iraq. And some of you think he's actually done a GOOD think in Iraq?

zak

Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:54 am

@concordeboy

since you are certainly a pro democracy(after all the war was for democracy in iraq wasnt it), i have a few questions:

- how many of those 61 nations and banana republics did actually have the majority of their population back the politics?
- considering that the majority of those countries that supported the war did support the war without any democratic support (as we recall the government is just the tool of the citizens to serve them and do what the people want), isnt it a bit hypocritical waging a war for democracy, while ignoring what the majority of the people in the nations attacking want?
- considering only three countries on earth (usa israel and kuwait) had the majority of the population support the war, wouldnt you call it very undemocratic what the governments in the 57 other countries supporting the war did? if so isnt it a very doubtful claim that these countries wanted to help in freeing the iraq people, if they can not even respect basic democratic principles in their own country?
- considering that the u.s.a did bully and threaten smaller countries into supporting them (something the mexican government has made public and was suprisingly able to resist since they seem to value democracy), wouldnt it help democracy in the world alot more if the u.s. government would stop supporting other countries in undemocratic decisionmaking just because it suits u.s. interest?

the "uberlibs" are mostly people who think twice before buying propaganda. and that is ALL you get out of the white house.

you should really be worried about the fact that the current u.s. administration spends more time finding ways to hide their real agenda from the american people and cover up their lies instead of making politics FOR the american people. all these guys break their oath dozens of times a day and are one of the worst thugs the planet has seen in decades.
10=2

777236ER

Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:06 am

Whats your source?

It's personal opinion. Do you have any evidence that I'm wrong?
Your bone's got a little machine

ConcordeBoy

Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:24 am

- how many of those 61 nations and banana republics did actually have the majority of their population back the politics?

Now that that lesson in spin is complete... allow me to ask what on Earth did it have to do with reply #24? A decent question yes, but also a completely irrelevant one.

The question therein was never "why did they support the war", but rather "did they".

The answer is indisputably "yes".

Yet so many attempt to deny that plain and simple fact. WHY? That's my question. THEN we can talk about how fair/right/legal etc it was for them to support.

MaverickM11

Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:40 am

"You mean like lying about weapons of mass destruction and evidence of weapons of mass destruction in order to justify an invasion and build up an international coalition?
"

Please document said "lies".
E pur si muove -Galileo

ConcordeBoy

Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:48 am

Please document said "lies".

And while you're at it, please elaborate on how said "lies" differed from the exact same information made public by Bill Clinton (whom no one-- particularly in the media-- questioned), Tony Blair... even Kerry.

MaverickM11

Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:53 am

"And while you're at it, please elaborate on how said "lies" differed from the exact same information made public by Bill Clinton (whom no one-- particularly in the media-- questioned), Tony Blair... even Kerry."

AND how all that information led everyone and their mother (even France & Co.) to draw the same exact conclusion re: Iraq. The only reason we're having this discussion is because two groups differed on how to deal with that conclusion.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Sabena 690

Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:37 am

Zak: you took the words right out of my mouth.

Concordeboy: me an uberlib? Thanks for the laugh...

ConcordeBoy

Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:49 am

The only reason we're having this discussion is because two groups differed on how to deal with that conclusion.

Correction: the groups differed WHETHER to deal with that conclusion

Thanks for the laugh...

After all the laughs your [political] contributions have given me over the years, I figured it was the least I could do  Big grin

manni

Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:13 am

Bush and his muppets ensured the world that Iraq could strike with WMD's within a certain (relatively short) period of time. Bush's prime reason to take out Saddam, was to prevent this happening. Bush also linked Al Qaida with Saddam. More than one year after the brutal invasion of Iraq, none of those 'threats' have been proved, no WMD have been found. What more do you need to come to the conclusion that Bush and the rest of the circus have been lying there asses of in order to take revenge for what they did to daddy.

And yes Wn700driver, either have I heard about americans taking Iraqi civilians hostage. They don't bother with that, American soldiers have been killing hundreds of innocent Iraqi civilians since the beginning of the war. why taking hostage, if you can get away with killing and call it "We have taken great strides to step around these people".

Back to the topic now, apparently the Japanese civilians would be released today. Good to see that they and their familys will have a happy Easter after all.

MaverickM11

Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:36 am

"Bush and his muppets ensured the world that Iraq could strike with WMD's within a certain (relatively short) period of time. Bush's prime reason to take out Saddam, was to prevent this happening. Bush also linked Al Qaida with Saddam. More than one year after the brutal invasion of Iraq, none of those 'threats' have been proved, no WMD have been found. What more do you need to come to the conclusion that Bush and the rest of the circus have been lying there asses of in order to take revenge for what they did to daddy.
"

EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE agreed that Saddam was bad and had WMDs. The US decided to do something about it while the rest of the world took their typical wait-and-see-its-not-my-problem attitude that has worked wonders in the Sudan, Rwanda, Bosnia, Chechnya, North Korea.
E pur si muove -Galileo

manni

Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:16 am

Everyone agreed that Saddam was bad, far from everyone agreed that Saddam had WMD's. Hans Blix and his inspectors were send to Iraq to search for them. No WMD found, conclusion (for Bush and Blair): Saddam has been hiding them very well.

disclaimer, this reply only holds true if you do not recognize the US governement as everyone.

ConcordeBoy

Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:15 am

disclaimer, this reply only holds true if you do not recognize the US governement as everyone

...or if you're a complete and utter idiot who chooses to ignore the fact that the UK, Australia, Kuwait, Italy, Israel, Germany, Russia, Japan, Jordan, Turkey, Spain, France, etc--- all reached the exact same conclusion.  Nuts

Klaus

Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:48 am

Incorrect.

Almost all countries assumed Iraq could possibly have had WMDs, so Blix should go and check (which he did).

The Bush administration plus "the willing" were certain Iraq had WMDs to the point of starting a war on these grounds and preempting the inspections.

Big difference!

ConcordeBoy

Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:35 am

Almost all countries assumed Iraq could possibly have had WMDs

There's no "could possibly have had" as the despot USED THEM for all the world to see.

Klaus

ConcordeBoy

Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:46 am

A series of intensive inspections/disarmaments and ten years later, some people actually thought it was time for a re-evaluation.

As it turned out, they were right and the Bush administration and its followers were wrong. It´s all out in the open. Difficult to even argue any more.

manni

Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:25 pm

Concordeboy,

If you want to involve some mudslinging, go ahead. I wont follow your example and call you an idiot just because your either misinformed or super ignorant towards the rest of the world. There's close to 200 countries on this planet, you named 12.

America should be ashamed for what they did to the Iraqi people and how they tried to fool the whole world. The fact that they are the only country that have ever used the A-bomb makes it even worse.

Klaus

Manni

Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:36 pm

Come on, Manni, no need to go overboard on the other side!  Wink/being sarcastic

solarix

RE: Japanese & South Koreans Taken As Hostages In

Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:57 pm

America should be ashamed for what they did to the Iraqi people

While you may enjoy the fact that thousands of Iraqis were being slaughtered every year by their former leader, I don't think America should be ashamed for what they did. Far less Iraqis will die under American control than when Saddam was running the show. The only person who should be ashamed is Hussein himself.

But that's just my opinion.
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

ConcordeBoy

Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:31 am

The fact that they are the only country that have ever used the A-bomb makes it even worse.

Considering that the politics of Seychelles, Andorra, Zambia, Liechtenstein, Malta, Tonga, Palau, Barbados, Zimbabwe, Tuvalu, Djibouti, Bangladesh, or just about any other group of 12 contributes so much to world occurences....

The fact that they are the only country that have ever used the A-bomb makes it even worse.

I'm sure you'd rather Japan had carried that distinction instead, considering that it was the only other plausible alternative  Insane

Unbelievable.

MaverickM11

Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:02 am

"America should be ashamed for what they did to the Iraqi people and how they tried to fool the whole world. The fact that they are the only country that have ever used the A-bomb makes it even worse."

That's pretty brazen double speak coming from a Belgian of all people, especially in regards to Belgium's former colonies and participation in WWII.
E pur si muove -Galileo

L-188

Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:14 am

I am sure that the 1 to 2 million Americans where were not killed invading Japan don't agree.

Not sure how many Japanese who would have been killed in such and event agree either, but maybe quite a few do.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

LoneStarMike

Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:58 am

Memo to all Foreign Countries:

If you don't want your civilian citizens kidnapped and killed in Iraq, then don't send them over there to do work that the Iraqis could just as easily do themselves and probably for a lot cheaper.

Why is Halliburton paying contractors $80,000 per year (tax free) to go over there and work, when there are millions of Iraqi's out of work who could do the same jobs for a lot less?

LoneStarMike

MaverickM11

Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:03 am

"Why is Halliburton paying contractors $80,000 per year (tax free) to go over there and work, when there are millions of Iraqi's out of work who could do the same jobs for a lot less?"

Probably because they're all on the UN's "payroll" but oddly aren't getting paid, but the money is still disappearing =P.
E pur si muove -Galileo

LoneStarMike

Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:05 pm

No. They're Halliburton employees on Halliburton's payroll and the money to pay them is coming from the 10 year 4.5 billion dollar contract that the Pentagon awarded Halliburton.

Halliburton employees coping with tedium, terror
April 5, 2004

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/167719_iraqhalliburton05.html

LoneStarMike