gkirk

A World Without Religion...

Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:58 pm

I was daydreaming the other day and was thinking, what if the world had no religions, wouldnt it be such a better place?
I am not religous at all but wouldnt it be great if there was no religions so no Islam, Judaism, Christianity, Budhism etc. Just think of the lack of wars, bombings, no fighting over land, everybody could at least live in a more peaceful, if not completly peaceful world.
What do you think? Would the world be better without religion?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

prosa

RE: A World Without Religion...

Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:00 pm

People would find other things to fight about.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

AIR757200

Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:04 pm

I think about the same thing too, I'm not religious myself: then again PROSA is right - people would find other things to fight about.

gkirk

Yeah, probably, like things such as Why Rochester was built etc  Big grin

MYT332

But religion is a big player in peoples lives so the world would be totally different and not how we know it.

Even if there was no religion someone would probably create one or something like one, i guess people like to think there's someone out there covering your back and that's there's somewhere we go when we kick it.

Ahh i dunno,

-

Alex

*Edit: Need typing lessons! lol*

[Edited 2004-04-16 16:05:55]
One Life, Live it.

Scotty

Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:05 pm

Yes.

Rangers fans shaking hands with Celtic fans at the end of another severe 4-0 thumping and saying what a jolly good side the Celts are. Huns buying green clad supporters celebratory drinks to toast another successful League championship. Celtic fans praising Rangers fans for their sportsmanship and graciousness in defeat, whilst saying that they hope Rangers do it next year so that everyone can get a fair crack at winning the league.

Ian Paisley and the Pope boogying on down at the local Orange Lodge Fundraising Bash for St. Vincent de Paul and the Sisters of Mercy. Gerry Adams and Mad Dog Johnny Adair going off on holiday together to Lourdes or spending a weekend picnicking by the River Boyne.

Dream on Kirkie  Big thumbs up

YUL2010

Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:08 pm

I agree with MYT332.
People will start believing in a superpower of some sort. Others will believe in another power. And there you have it. I mean, conflict is unavoidable in all fields.

YUL2010
"Hotel November Oscar clear to land runway 24L"

gkirk

Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:11 pm

Yeah, as long as individual nationalities remained, I just couldnt imagine congratulating England at anything.

zak

Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:12 pm

"Topic: A World Without Religion..."

what a dream  Smile

i think that "religion" can be overcome with education. most people believe in that stuff because they were raised to believe certain things. i do have a positive estimate that religion will be a rare thing in 100 years or so. time works against their fairy tale constructs and education spreading does its job.
10=2

Scotty

Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:17 pm

Zak!!

Congrats. Your next post is your 1000th!!!

Big thumbs up

mt99

Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:20 pm

"You may say im a dreamer, but i am not the only one"
Step into my office, baby

zak

Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:21 pm

oh heh didnt even notice that, must be the poem thread one  Smile
thanks for pointing it out scotty!
10=2

KROC

Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:39 pm

Exactly GKirk. Rochester Minnesota is such a hole its not even funny. Why they even built it to begin with is beyond me.

SSTjumbo

Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:46 pm

We could start an East vs. West civil war over who should be NBA's rookie of the year, 'Melo or 'Bron  Big grin.
I don't know, so this is my signature.

FDXmech

Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:01 am

Was Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot religious?

Going by your logic, wouldn't the world be a better place without atheism.

Actually your logic is, wouldn't the world be a better place if no one disagreed with me.
You're only as good as your last departure.

777236ER

Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:45 am

Going by your logic, wouldn't the world be a better place without atheism.

Actually your logic is, wouldn't the world be a better place if no one disagreed with me.

Atheism isn't a religion, nor is it an "anti-religion" religion, nor is it even anti-religion.

It's merely the use of evidence to obtain theories about the universe.
Your bone's got a little machine

BN747

Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:47 am

Religion basically just gives a lot a people something to do...mainly the poor. They are biggest demographic of believers on a global scale. They're constantly craving something better than their current existence. With all religions offering something better afterwards...it's the easiest thing to latch onto..and it's free. It also gives power to centralized authority, basically keeping the people in line.

But being the animals we are..we certainly would find something to fight over. Without a central theme of control, law and order, we'd go berserk...the only exception..would be what Zak pointed out earlier. Education. It is the only thing that brings light into dark realm of ignorance. In the most edified circles, disagreements exist..but rarely does it sink to street level violence. With exception of wars of course, this is how the educated fight, they get someone to do it for them. Bring back the duels...if Bush and Saddam had a duel....thousands would be alive to day!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Qb001

Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:54 am

It's the unlearned lesson of 9/11: religions are bad. In my views, any kind of extreme adherence to any kind of utopic ideology is a religious process. Thus, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot were religious, in their own way.

Non-religious people always live in doubt; they don't believe in any absolute "truth"; they question all evidences. Learning to live in doubt is not easy to everyone, but I believe it's the way to go.

My only certainty: there are no certainties.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good theory.

rev3oh2

Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:06 am

Are you certain of that?
...let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

MD-90

Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:23 am

Thus, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot were religious, in their own way.

No they weren't. They were idealogues.

Non-religious people always live in doubt; they don't believe in any absolute "truth"; they question all evidences. Learning to live in doubt is not easy to everyone, but I believe it's the way to go.

Also known as moral relativism.

dan2002

Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:33 am

Well, if there were no religion, people would start worshipping inanimate objects, aka Planet Of The Apes style.

-Dan
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

Qb001

Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:37 am

And the difference is...

SSTjumbo

Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:43 am

Also known as moral relativism.

Moral relativism these days is a popular stance, and courtesy of Ethics 101 in college I can explain why it is inherently flawed:

1) Incoherency: Relativism states that cultures and religions are each morally right in their own traditions. It also states therefore that everyone must be tolerant, thereby everyone ought to be a relativist. Therefore, if a religion or culture doesn't practice tolerance, how can it be right in their own respect yet wrong at the same time? Simple, by logical reasoning you can't.

2) Decomposition: Relativism often decomposes into some other objective moral stance. For instance, a common stance in relativism is that there isn't any right or wrong. To hold right and wrong to their definitions, that means no universal right or wrong, which becomes moral nihilism. Another one is the one stated above:

This could easily be called moral relativism, but in reality it is moral skepticism. Which one Qb001 is, I'd have to ask.

3) Already stated in number two, but for relativists who believe in right and wrong, who therefore aren't nihilists, hold those terms "right" and "wrong" against their own definitions. The definitions of right and wrong both state universiality as qualities to them. Therefore, if one thinks a society is right in practicing abortion because it is in their beliefs, but yet another society is right in denying women the right to abortion because it's in their beliefs, they are stating two contradictory traditions are right, which holds right against its definition. Likewise, anyone who says something is right in its own respect is likely holding "right" against its definion. If someone is to argue against this, I'll likely refer them back to item #1.

Anyways, this is coming straight out of Ethics notes and text.
I don't know, so this is my signature.

FDXmech

Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:57 am

>>>Atheism isn't a religion, nor is it an "anti-religion" religion, nor is it even anti-religion.

It's merely the use of evidence to obtain theories about the universe.
<<<

OK, I'll accept that.

But when people espouse their agnostic or religous belief or anything in between as exclusively correct we've got intolerance and an excuse to hate and eventually persecute.

You want a world without religion, fine, don't go to a house of worship.

You want to be religious, fine, go to your house of worship.

Either way, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

I'm not a regular churchgoer, yet I get the impression anti-religion is becoming a politically correct prejudice. And though this might be okay by some, the worm could turn against, you.

Perhaps it's better to be tolerant, respectful and live and let live.

Klaus

Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:15 am

As I see it, humans have a spiritual capacity and interest.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for the hate- and violence-ridden perversions that have been created out of this capacity; But I think it´s still one of the more significant parts of what makes us human.

As for a specific incarnation of spiritual inspiration: Ever seen a buddhist trying to ram his faith down other people´s throats? Maybe there´s a way to go...  Big thumbs up

MITaero

Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:02 am

>i think that "religion" can be overcome with education. most people believe in that stuff because they were raised to believe certain things.

Then why am I a Muslim? Have you ever read the Quran?

I'm not reading this thread anymore, makes me sick.

Alpha 1

Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:07 am

, what if the world had no religions, wouldnt it be such a better place?

Actually, it wouldn't be. Religion-the thing which people put the tangible aspect of faith in God or a Supreme Being, has sustained and nurtured people for as long as man could comprehend himself.

What would be nice would be the absence of those who pervert and twist religion and faith for evil deeds, who use it not to spread good in the world, but who use it to foment and spread evil among man.

That is what the world needs to do without.

Qb001

Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:40 am

This could easily be called moral relativism, but in reality it is moral skepticism. Which one Qb001 is, I'd have to ask.

I don't advocate moral relativism, nor do I advocate cultural relativism, its close cousin. I believe in the notion of right and wrong. And I admit that religions have played a key role in establishing some of our moral standings. We, as human beings, are the result of many influences. Religion is one of them, no doubt.

Now, does it mean that I have to adhere to a religion because I admit and appreciate its contribution to moral and ethic ? Do I have to adhere to Marxism because I believe Marx was right in some of the critics he expressed ? Do I have to support GWB because I think the US leadership in Afghanistan is, by and large, quite positive ?

Moral skepticism, you'll have to explain. Skeptic I am. But moral skepticism, does it mean I'm skeptic about the necessity or morality ? Or does it mean that I refuse to blindly adhere to any form of predefined, ready to eat, moral system ? The latter is true. But it appears to some that this is moral relativism. I reject that simplistic view. I am a citizen because I like to think by myself: I think therefore I am.

Whether you want to admit it or not, it's a fact that religions have caused trouble, pain, suffering and wars. When I look at major conflicts in the world right now, most of them have a religious seed: Israel/Palestine, Kashmir, Iraq of course, Sudan, Northern Ireland, etc. How many men, women and children have been brutally murdered in the name of religion ? Wayyyyyyyy too many.

Anyway, we see that most modern societies are slowly, but surely, evolving toward more secularity. Think about abortion, which is considered highly immoral by almost all religions, yet is legal in most modern countries. Or, for example, here in Canada, we now have gay civil unions and the use of little quantity of marijuana is about to be legalized. Does it mean that Canada will fall in the abyss of abject immorality? Me don't think so. Morality is not cast in stone, it evolves. Call it moral relativism all you want. I call it modernity.

Alpha 1

Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:55 am

Morality is not cast in stone, it evolves

To me, that's just a crutch to make what is seen as abhorrent behavior acceptable.

Morality does NOT evolve. What is wrong, is wrong. Case closed.

Qb001

Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:56 pm

Get serious here. I mean think about it, how many behaviors that were considered "morally wrong" 50 years ago are now considered acceptable, even encouraged sometimes? Do you really need examples?

MD-90

Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:08 pm

Let's see.

Homosexuality
Sex before marriage
Greed running rampant among business leaders
Foul language has increased in acceptability
The moral rot of moral equivalence
Drug abuse has increased (alcoholism, I dunno)
Gluttony (look at the incredible rate of obesity in the US)
Abortion

rev3oh2

Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:55 pm

Acknowledging at the outset here that societies heavily influenced by religion will always have flaws, because humans will never be perfect, I think the evidence just over the last 50 years shows how morality "devolves" rather than evolves when Godly influence is cast aside by a culture.

When there is general agreement on moral absolutes, as in societies that recognize the authority of a Holy God, cultures function far more smoothly than when everyone determines his or her own morality. Sure things are more "acceptable" now than they were 50 years ago, but I think MD-90's list above shows that acceptability and morality do not always mean the same thing.
...let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

fspilot747

Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:27 pm

A world without religion and multiple races would be a peaceful world...that's for sure. We'll never figure out god's motive.

FSP

ctbarnes

Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:49 am

To use that kind of logic we would still be practicing slavery. Paul's admonition for slaves to obey their masters was long interpreted as divine justification for it.

And the difference is...

Idealogues are people who believe that their point of view is gospel. Period. Nothing good can be said for any other conflicting viewpoint.

Religion that does not enquire, dialogue, and listen is not religion. It is sectarianism. Islamic extremists such as Bin Ladin, the Ku Klux Klan, any person or group that thinks the only way to live is to impose their narrow view of God to the point that it becomes a form of oppression and hatred of others is not what religion is about. Religion is about love and peace, never hatred and war (though it is true a number of acts have been perpetrated by religious throughout history, the Catholic Church among them), and at various times a religion has drifted in and out of bouts of sectarianism. Perhaps a better question to start this thread should be "A world without ideology and extremism..."

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

FDXmech

Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:04 am

Very nice post, Charles.

MD-90

Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:12 am

Modern slavery has always been wrong.

Paul knew that what he wrote could not change the Roman system of slavery. It was entrenched. To actually be a citizen (as Paul was), was really something special. And rare. The empire didn't actually have all that many citizens.

You have to look at what Pual wrote in the context of his own time. Which was also a far bloodier world with a lot more warfare, pillaging, and captured slaves.

GC

Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:52 am

The truth is we're wired to worship, can't help it (even athiests). It's just a case of what you end up worshipping.

Can anyone prove to me that humans aren't built for worship?

Alpha 1

Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:56 am

Acknowledging at the outset here that societies heavily influenced by religion will always have flaws,

And societies that don't, don't have those flaws? ROTFL. What do you call Soviet Russia; China, North Korea? So much for that one.

To use that kind of logic we would still be practicing slavery.

Wrong. Becuase most of those who practiced slavery knew it was wrong, but did it anyway. They were in violation of morality, but they did it anyway.

MD-90

Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:58 am

The Jewish concept of slavery was not the same as modern slavery. Every seven years, all slaves were freed. If you were enslaved because you couldn't pay your debts, after no more than seven years you would be a free man, and of course, it was usually less than seven years.

ctbarnes

Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:48 am

Wrong. Becuase most of those who practiced slavery knew it was wrong, but did it anyway. They were in violation of morality, but they did it anyway.

How can you be so sure?

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

BN747

Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:59 pm

How can you be so sure?

Because the instantaneous human reaction when witnessing a shocking event or abnormal situation or one of great awe..you momentarily substitute your person in exchange of the subject or situation at hand..though vicariously.

For instance, we you see that bi-monthly Powerball winner holding a $200 million dollar check facsimile...your first thought is "...that's a lotta cash what would I do if that were me?"

2) A city bus loses control and hits by-standers at the bus bench..yuo wonder 'If it were you..would you have been able to react in time to avoid injury'

3) When you saw the helpless people jumping off the WTC on 9/11..'you asked yourself..'what would I have done...?'

4) Your 1st encounter even as a young as 3 or 4 upon seeing a homeless person..you wonder '...what's wrong with that adult, why doesn't he have a home or normal attire?'

5) If you witnessed a slave serving his/her master..the 1st time you are cognizant of that situation..you'd wonder '..just what facilitated this arrangement and just which side of this situation would you fair better?' Or how could you avoid or trump ending up with such antithetical existence. Viscerally, you know in such a context what is good and what is bad, what is right and what is wrong.
They knew all right. If they were that dumb they wouldn't have had slaves...the slaves would have seen how stupid they were and took off...

BN747

"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Qb001

Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:50 am

Let's see.

Homosexuality
Sex before marriage
Abortion

Let's look at them, in a slightly different order.
Undoubtedly immoral, I agree.

I agree. I don't really consider that immoral, but rather impolite. Anyway, I'm all for speaking well.

I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean that having slightly different moral views is rotten, then I guess I'm rotten. But, conversely, you're rotten too, from my point of view. In other words, I'm afraid this is leading nowhere.

I gather those together, because they are strangely linked, in more ways than you'd think. For instance, do you know that the US government subsidizes the corn farmers to the point that they can sell their corn 20% lower than the world market price? That creates two very negative impacts.

First, it drives out of the corn business many third world corn farmers - who cannot count of their poor government to subsidize them. So, what do you think those farmers do then? That's right, they start growing plants that are use to produce drugs such as cocaine. That's exactly what's happening in Peru, for example. And where does that drug end up? That's right, on the US market. In other words, the US government is subsidizing the coca producers of Peru.

Second, the subsidies create an overflow of corn. With the result that it becomes extremely cheap to extract the sugar from the corn and use it all the processed food that are flooding the US supermarkets. And process food consumption is one of the main cause of the obesity epidemic that is hurting the US so much. In other words, that's right, the US government subsidizes obesity.

So, according to your standards, the US government is highly guilty of immoralism.

Abortion
I'm not in favor of abortion, but I'm not in favor of banning it too. If my wife gets pregnant tomorrow, no way she'll get an abortion. But if a 15 years old girl in a ghetto somewhere gets pregnant and decides she'd be better off to get an abortion, well, that's her choice and I respect that.

Sex before marriage
Well, I'm highly immoral then. You know, I often refer to my wife. I use the word "wife" for sake of simplicity, but she's not really my wife, she's my "companion". We've been together 10 years, we have two kids, and I don't feel immoral one bit about it.

Homosexuality
The fact that you consider homosexuality immoral goes to the point. That's exactly why I don't like religions, in the sense they often time condemn people on the basis of what they are, and not on what they do.

Morality evolves all the time. A few centuries ago, women were considered intrinsically immoral, because they tempted men. And recently I learned, much to my dismay, that it's not until 1967 that some US states lifted the ban on interracial marriages, that were considered immoral...

BN747

Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:45 pm

I just read a story in the LA Times where a beautiful young woman participating in a clinical trial clinic 'noted in her diary a note to god reading 'Somehow, I have to... you must somehow help me get the money to pay my school tuition'.
It's crap like this that a too many people look to in religion at the most desperate hour...

More people than we'll ever know get caught up into this crap.
She committed suicide not much later.

BN747

Boeing Nut

Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:42 pm

I personally think one of the greatest contradictions of human history is fighting over religion. I just don't understand it.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

MD-90

Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:18 pm

they often time condemn people on the basis of what they are, and not on what they do.

By homosexuality, I mean the practice of it, not being gay. Being gay in and of itself isn't a sin.

BN47, they do so by calling 1-800-424-4357.

1-800-How Can Heaven-HELP
People pray more when they feel needy, of course.

L-188

Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:23 pm

I believe the soviets tried to set up a pure secular system.

It didn't work out too well.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Klaus

MD-90

Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:13 pm

MD-90: By homosexuality, I mean the practice of it, not being gay. Being gay in and of itself isn't a sin.

That´s a cheap cop-out, and you know it.

It´s simply the attempt to not look as embarrassingly backward as that really is; I´m "sorry" that the custom of burning "different" people at the stake has gone out of fashion, but this is only a lame attempt to save the old hypocrisy even though everybody knows it´s just wrong.

There is no justification for this weird position except ancient prejudices and traditional hypocrisy; And the sooner it vanishes, the better. People need to grow up, at last.

sleekjet

Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:21 am

It is the Judeo-Christian value system that is holding the world together at the moment.

Think about this: think of the people you know who have the elusive quality of "integrity". Think of the values that person possesses. Probably honesty, patience, trustworthiness, fidelity, honor, hospitality and the like. Well those are all qualities espoused by Jews and Christians - and are qualities that Christ wanted his believers to incorporate into their lives.

Are there those who dishonor the rest of us by doing goofy things in the name of religion? Of course. That will always be a reality.

But those following the biblical precepts represent the best stabilizing force in society today.
II Cor. 4:17-18

zak

Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:29 am

"It is the Judeo-Christian value system that is holding the world together at the moment."

you win the prize for most retarded statement ever on this site sleekjet.
10=2

sleekjet

Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:30 am

Zak: I take it you dispute my argument. Can you really deny the rest of my argument? BTW, have a nice day.
II Cor. 4:17-18