EA CO AS
Topic Author

AZ Cardinals' Pat Tillman Killed In Afghanistan

Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:26 pm

Breaking News - NBC News has just reported that the Arizona Cardinals (and former Arizona State University star) Pat Tillman, who turned down a multimillion dollar contract extension to join the Army Rangers after 9/11, has been killed in action in Afghanistan.  Sad

More to come.

Edited to correct location, initially reported as Iraq.

[Edited 2004-04-23 16:34:38]
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Alpha 1

RE: AZ Cardinals' Pat Tillman Killed In Iraq

Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:28 pm

NO!!!

Not to belittle the deaths of any other soldier, but Pat was as inspiration to a lot of people, for leaving the life of a millionaire, and serving his nation.

He was one who did it for country. He was a true hero.

God rest his soul, and those of all our soldiers.

b757300

Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:28 pm

It was Afghanistan, not Iraq.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4815441
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

Alpha 1

Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:32 pm

I was just going to point that out, B757300. I thought it was in Afghanistan. Thanks for correcting that for us.

4holer

RE: AZ Cardinals' Pat Tillman Killed In Afghanistan

Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:46 pm

Copied from my duplicate thread...

I can't tell you how much I admired this man's sacrifice to leave the NFL to serve his country.
Now, he has made the ultimate sacrifice for it.

Rest in peace, Mr. Tillman.
God Bless your family.

Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:56 pm

This man was a friend to all who knew him.

This is the man who rode the same beat-up old bike to practice at ASU each day, and even for the first few weeks of his NFL career.

This is the man who wanted to elevate those around him, not be a "star."

This is the man who answered his nation's call instead of seeking fame and fortune.

This is the man who I'm proud to call a fellow Sun Devil.

May God bless you Pat. We'll all miss you.  Sad
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Alpha 1

Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:05 am

I would like to see people write to Commissioner Tagliebu and suggest the NFL name a Courage Award after Pat Tillman.

Also, I think the NFL should have a moment of of silence in his honor before the NFL Draft tomorrow.

Truly sad news.

North County

Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:00 am

Now that was one man who had his head screwed on right...

God must have had needed him in heaven....sometimes the best and the brightest are called home so soon....

His family must be so saddened but they will gain strength from his memory.

HOMER71

Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:07 am

Condolences to the family, not many people would do what he did in that situation.

I heard he also turned down $9 million (5 yrs) with St. Louis because he was loyal to Arizona (he also went to ASU).
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

learpilot

Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:14 am

IMHO, the word hero gets thrown around way too much. But if anyone deserves to be called a hero, however, it was Pat Tillman. Godspeed. Dude had a brass pair of balls.

And then you've got that scrawny little idiot Ely Manning crying because he doesn't want to play for the Chargers. Maybe he, along with some other pro athletes will learn something from this. It's called Character.
Heed our warnings or your future will be underpant free!

N6376M

Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:48 am

The NFL is holding a 1 PM press conference today.

-76M

flyboy36y

Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:10 am

Well, it just goes to put a face on all this death, a face we all knew BEFORE the war....

jcs17

Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:18 am

Pat Tillman is a true hero in every sense of the word. Leaving millions on the table to serve your country? How many people out of a million would do that?! He was an unbelieveable story and its really sad that it had to end up this way. The courage and discipline that Tillman showed was unmatched. God Bless You, Pat.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

nwa man

Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:39 am

The moment of silence before the NFL draft would be a nice touch, but...

I would like to see people write to Commissioner Tagliabue and suggest the NFL name a Courage Award after Pat Tillman.

That's a truly great idea. No one in the NFL exemplified honor, courage, and dedication like Pat Tillman. Name the award after him already (although, would there really be anyone in the NFL worthy of such an award? Nothing even comes close to what he's done).

God rest his soul.

Regards,

N-Dub
Create your own luck.

USAFHummer

Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:01 am

This man is without a doubt the most courageous, honorable person in recent memory...My deepest condolences go out to the Tillman family - Pat was without a doubt a hero and demonstrated that without a doubt.

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

ConcordeBoy

Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:17 am

This thread is bullshit!

ANYONE who willingly goes to conflict and dies is a hero. Because this individual chose to give up a higher-paying occupation than the next soldier makes him no better in any way whatsoever.

Screw this horsecrap, and the fact that it's polluting every single news outlet accessible!  Angry  Yeah sure
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

CactusA319

Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:36 am

Screw this horsecrap, and the fact that it's polluting every single news outlet accessible

I was wondering when that would happen.  Insane

ushermittwoch

Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:37 am

Concordeboy, you are very much on my side today.
Good job.
 Big thumbs up

Anyway, I can just say that it is not any worse that this guy got killed then Joe Minority, who didn't have a choice in life to get a career, without joining up and I am sure there are a LOT of those people out there dying.
It was his own choice, so he did not sacrifice any more than anybody else who signs up out of free will.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

ConcordeBoy

Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:45 am

I was wondering when that would happen.

When what would? My comment, or every news source in the entire gawddamn hemisphere focusing on this drivel above all else?

MaverickM11

Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:48 am

"ANYONE who willingly goes to conflict and dies is a hero. Because this individual chose to give up a higher-paying occupation than the next soldier makes him no better in any way whatsoever."

How on EARTH did you survive post 9/11 when everyone and their mother was a hero. Flight attendants were heros simply for continuing to offer coke and diet coke at 32,000 feet.
E pur si muove -Galileo

N79969

Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:54 am

Actually ConcordeBoy, being obsessed with GE90 and B777 variants is complete bullshit.

I was greatly saddened to read about his death. Clearly no one intends to trivialize the death of any other US service member by posting here. However, Pat Tillman was a celebrity and knowingly walked away from vast amounts of money, a relatively easy life, and celebrity because of his deep personal convictions. We can be sure that Pat Tillman would have wanted no special attention on this day compared to other soldies and that is why he we should honor his sacrifice and that of his family.

In a time when so many professional atheletes are a bunch of crybabies and threaten to go on strike because they are not quite satisfied with some multi-million dollar salary or how they are treated in the press, Tillman will be an inspiration for years to come. How many pro-athletes are willing to walk away from millions, big houses, fancy cars, and fame to risk his life for the salary of an Army Ranger?

Not many at all.

Like I said, Tillman went to great lengths to be treated as an ordinary solider--shunning interviews after his enlistment. He did not expect the attention but he and has family deserve this country's full support. That he is a celebrity is happenstance. We just happend to remember this soldier's name.

I wish to express my profound gratitude for his service and condolences for his loss. RIP Pat Tillman.

ConcordeBoy

Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:58 am

...reaching are we N79969?  Laugh out loud

CactusA319

Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:00 am

It was your comment....

Altough I don't agree with the large amount of attention this is getting, I was wondering when someone would come in here and piss on the parade. He is no more a hero than any of the other servicemen out there. However I have to say he's a better man than I. I would have taken the millions and kept playing football. The fact that he did the opposite of what most people would do in his situation makes him a special human being. And that deserves to be noted.

N79969

Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:06 am

Concordeboy,

I am not reaching in the slightest. If you have nothing of value to say about the loss of one of this country's finest individuals, I suggest not saying anything at all.

"I would have taken the millions and kept playing football."

So would most of the rest of us.

Tillman will be remembered for his strength of moral character and not because he was a casualty of war.

[Edited 2004-04-23 21:09:31]

[Edited 2004-04-23 21:10:35]

ConcordeBoy

Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:10 am

Sorry bub, but I got plenty o' value to spew: and right now, I have no qualm about pointing out that someone with a few more career options than his barrack buddies getting offed in a conflict deserves no more laud whatsoever than they would have...... and the fact that he's getting it, and plenty of it, only adds my point.

N79969

Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:18 am

Concordeboy,

For someone that has and maintains an encyclopedic knowledge of things as ultra-trivial of what comes after the hypen following GE90 or B777, you seem to be missing a very obvious point.

Tillman shunned attention while he served and certainly had no expectation of any in the event he was killed. He was a class act all around and made the ultimate sacrifice.

So if you do not mourn his loss like some us do, then go post somewhere else.

Frankly I am not surprised that you consider calling him "retarded" is somehow contribution.

backfire

Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:18 am

I wonder what other people have given up in order to go and fight in another country? Of course, we'll probably never know because they weren't fortunate enough to be famous before they left.

USAFHummer

Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:34 am

Well said CactusA319, my thoughts exactly!

Greg

ushermittwoch

Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:42 am

Y'all wanna know what's really sad? The number of people that are writing "Pat Tillman - All-Pro Hero" script/book at the moment just to make a quick buck.

ConcordeBoy

Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:48 am

I wonder what other people have given up in order to go and fight in another country?

Sh'yeah, like their children perhaps...?  Yeah sure

Of course, we'll probably never know because they weren't fortunate enough to be famous before they left

Y'all wanna know what's really sad? The number of people that are writing "Pat Tillman - All-Pro Hero" script/book at the moment just to make a quick buck.

Great points all around

USAFHummer

Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:57 am

"Y'all wanna know what's really sad? The number of people that are writing "Pat Tillman - All-Pro Hero" script/book at the moment just to make a quick buck."

I typically dont agree with what you post Usher, but I do agree with you here...Pat would not want that to happen, he was not doing this for attention and theres no reason why after his death it should change...sadly many people won't respect that...in a few months I imagine the first made-for-TV movie will be out, and I hope it tanks in the ratings when it does come...

Greg

jcs17

Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:12 am

Hey ConcordeBoy, why don't you take your negative comments elsewhere or pull your pud to the Boeing website for the tenth time today.

This man made a great sacrifice to go fight for his country and he died for your freedom.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

ConcordeBoy

Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:19 am

Hey ConcordeBoy, why don't you take your negative comments elsewhere or pull your pud to the Boeing website for the tenth time today.

Pot... kettle... black, my Gorgonesque little friend  Big grin

This man made a great sacrifice to go fight for his country

...as opposed to the hundreds of others before (and no doubt) after him? Where's their [obnoxiously incessant] news coverage?

and he died for your freedom.

Paging Alpha1, paging Alpha1...  Laugh out loud

[Edited 2004-04-23 22:28:49]

CactusA319

Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:24 am

ConcordeBoi:

Dude seriously, who took a dump in your cornflakes this morning?

ConcordeBoy

Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:27 am

No one... just that the "OMG look, a celebrity is making a sacrifice" inanity happens to be one of my most triggerhappy hotbuttons  Big grin

Not that I have anything against the guy... see any Princess Diana post I've responded to on the forum  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Cadet985

Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:33 am

I agree with an article in Yahoo! Sports that calls him a hero....not because of how he died, but how he lived. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpbmdmam0wBF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0bQ--?slug=dw-tillman&prov=yhoo&type=lgns.

May he rest in peace.

Marc

4holer

Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:35 am

ConcordeBoy,

You can't be serious....

Sen. John McCain put it this way,

"The tragic loss loss of this extraordinary young man will seem a heavy blow to our nation's morale, as it is surely a grievous injury to his loved ones.

"Many American families have suffered the same terrible sacrifice that Pat's family must now bear, and the patriotism that their loved ones exemplified is as fine and compelling as Pat's.

"But there is in Pat Tillman's example, in his unexpected choice of duty to his country over the riches and other comforts of celebrity, and in his humility, such an inspiration to all of us to reclaim the essential public-spiritness of Americans that many of us, in low moments, had worried was no longer our common distinguishing trait."

Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

ConcordeBoy

Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:42 am

Embarrassment ~yawn

N79969

Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:50 am

ConcordeBoy,

I do not understand why you feel the need to continue to post at all.

Apparently you believe his death is a non-event and are here only to criticize those of us who admire what Tillman stood for. You have made your opinion known, now be done with it.

srbmod

Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:50 am

Imagine if during WWII or the Korean War, Ted Williams had been killed in combat? During WWII and to lesser extent, the Korean War, quite a few professional athletes gave up their careers to fight for their country. They could have stayed behind and kept playing, or joined the military and been put in a Stateside unit like many celebrity soldiers did during WWII. They could have just put the uniform on as a morale booster to the war effort, but no, they actually wanted to be where the action was. Pat Tillman was the modern day version of that, shunning the money and fame to serve his country the best way he saw fit, by joining the Army. He knew that as an Army Ranger he stood a great chance of being killed in action, but he did not let that deter him. While any combat death is sad, this one hits a larger sector of the population because it was someone people were familiar with.

ushermittwoch

Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:56 am

Earth to Srbmod, Ted Williams was a SUPER STAR. One of the sport's greatest icons. There is a SLIGHT difference.

ConcordeBoy

Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:01 am

You have made your opinion known

...so what else is new?

now be done with it

...don't like what I have to say? Two options: don't read it, or deal  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

CactusA319

Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:14 am

Earth to Srbmod, Ted Williams was a SUPER STAR. One of the sport's greatest icons. There is a SLIGHT difference

But considering the way our society is now, you're not going to see Kobe Bryant or Barry Bonds drop everything and enlist. Just because Tillman wasn't a SUPER STAR doesn't make his case any less significant.

[Edited 2004-04-23 23:14:58]

ushermittwoch

Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:18 am

I am not questioning his case in any way, as I have posted above.
He might have been the most famous person in the war, but his status in his real profession was not as great as our fellow member portrays it.

N79969

Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:46 am

From Sports Illustrated:

Remembering Pat Tillman
Strong-willed and humble, former Cardinals star was indescribably rare
Posted: Friday April 23, 2004 2:35PM; Updated: Friday April 23, 2004 2:35PM

Our office called this morning with the news that Pat Tillman had been killed in action in Afghanistan. I pulled open a drawer in my desk and took out a manila folder in which I keep letters sent to me by story subjects. It's a thin file. In 10 years at Sports Illustrated, I've written more than 300 stories and I can count the personal responses on both hands. (Not including agents, PR people, wives and girlfriends.)

This was an ordinary greeting card with a gray wolf on the front cover. Inside the card was blank -- no mass-manufactured poetry -- except for a note written in meticulous blue printing. The card was dated "12/8,'' which was Dec. 8, 1997, five days after a 2,000-word profile that I had written on Tillman appeared in Sports Illustrated.

At the time, Tillman was a senior at Arizona State, the Pac-10 conference's Defensive Player of the Year as a ferocious, 5-foot-11, 195-pound linebacker. I had spent two days with Tillman and his teammates -- and his brother Kevin, who remains in the military -- in Tempe, Ariz., reporting this story.

It was a remarkable experience. Customarily, both the writer and subject understand the mechanics that exist between them. Writer asks questions and tags along with subject. Subject reveals only as much of himself as he wants the writer to know and lets the writer see only as much as he's comfortable with. Somebody forgot to tell Pat Tillman the rules.

He answered questions frankly and without concern for the repercussions.

Question: Have you ever been arrested? (A routine query in this day).

Answer: "Yes.'' (What's more, it was a minor juvenile arrest that was expunged from Tillman's record. He didn't have to tell anybody). Honesty, again.

Question: Can you play in the NFL?

Answer: "Beats me.'' (The usual college stud response is: "Hell, yes.'' Tillman had no idea, so he said so.)

It went on like this for two days. I learned that Tillman was the type of football player who performed fully without regard for his body. He played at 100 percent of his speed, power and passion 100 percent of the time. That quality is indescribably rare. He was also able to use his brain as effectively as his body. Coaches who told him something had to do so only once.

He was also a a strong student who graduated summa cum laude in three and a half years with a 3.82 grade-point average. He bragged about none of this. Why? "Dude, I'm proud of the things I've done, my schoolwork -- because I'm not smart, I just worked hard -- and this award (the Pac-10 defensive honor)," he told me. "But it doesn't do me any good to be proud. It'd be better to just force myself to be naïve about things, because otherwise I'll start being happy with myself and then I'll stand still. And then I'm old news.''

He is terrible news today, because two years ago he left a career in the NFL -- a career that scouts and personnel experts thought he never could achieve -- to enlist in the Army. He didn't give any interviews then, because he didn't want attention called to his decision. No surprise there. He is the kind of guy who probably would have preferred playing football in a parking lot, rather than in stadiums full of fans. There was a rare purity about him. I've not seen it since. I don't expect to soon see it again.

Back in 1997 we ate dinner together with his brother at a cheap spaghetti joint near the ASU campus. Pat was astounded -- and oddly honored -- that I let him pick the restaurant.

I thought about all these things when I opened his card this morning. Here is what he wrote:

Mr. Layden,

Thank you for the time you put into the article, my family and I really enjoyed the way it turned out. Perhaps our paths will cross again someday and you, Kevin and I can have another dinner. This time you pick the place. Until then, take care and tell your kids I said hello.

A few minutes ago my 12-year-old son walked into my home office to check on me. I turned to him, and all I could think to say was, "Pat Tillman says hello.''

Sports Illustrated senior writer Tim Layden weighs in with a Viewpoint every Friday on SI.com.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/tim_layden/04/23/remembering.tillman/index.html

N79969

Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:53 am

"...don't like what I have to say? Two options: don't read it, or deal "

Concordeboy,

Take your own advice. You straight away condemned the entire thread as BS and yet you cannot seem to stay away.

[Edited 2004-04-23 23:54:10]

leviticus

Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:45 am

ConcordeBoy is having his PMS today...

AvObserver

Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:07 am

Pat Tillman was a true hero but so is every other soldier who dies in the line of duty. Just because they didn't give up a multi-million dollar career as Tillman did, doesn't make them any less noteworthy than he, though it apparently makes them less newsworthy. They all made sacrifices to commit to this duty, even if the financial magnitude was not nearly as imposing as Pat's. Not to belittle Tillman because he was truly a great American but so were they all. When we remember his "ultimate sacrifice", we must remember everyone's because they all made the same committment. Just another sad reminder that this is still often a cruel and dangerous world. R.I.P. - Pat Tillman and every other dedicated soldier killed in action.  Crying

Hamfist

Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:47 am

Just let Concordebaby get his jollies.

If he needs to spend 50% of his 20+ posts today bemoaning the fact that somebody else is getting our attention, then it should be obvious where his problem lies! If only we could replace a few of our apathetic, attention-starved carbon-wasters with a few more Pat Tillman's...