SSTjumbo
Topic Author

Stupid Question For Chicagoans

Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:36 pm

I have a lead on a job that would be in Chicago at approximately Damon & Central. Does anyone know anything about this area as far as the general neighborhood, good or bad? This job will pay $20.00 an hour, so I'd like to take it if I can, I just don't want to get mugged or my truck stolen or shot out. Any knowledge of this area would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
I don't know, so this is my signature.

freshlove1

RE: Stupid Question For Chicagoans

Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:57 pm

It's near where , Cabrini Green???? It's been a long time since I was in ORD so times may have changed, I wouldnt say Damon & Central is good or bad till I go back and check the city out. There is always the chance ou may get mugged no matter where you are in ORD or in any other city. For $20 an hour I would go for it, you can always leave if it is not for you.

Illini_152

Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:19 pm

Well, IIRC, Damen and Central both run north-south. Do they have an address? The thing to remember about Chicago is that there are good areas, and bad neighborhoods interspersed together. You can be fine, but 3 blocks away is an area you wouldn't want to be in in broad daylight.

I went to school at 115th and Crawford, a fine area, but within one mile was Robbins, a quite rough area. Cabrini Green, one of the worst, most dangerous housing projects in the city, was walking distance from the Loop (ask me how I know!- BTW, not anywhere near Central.)

Give me an address, or at least a block number, and maybe I can be of more help.
Happy contrails - I support B747Skipper and Jetguy

SSTjumbo
Topic Author

Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:33 pm

Devon & Central, sorry guys. However, it seems like one of the good neighborhoods west of O'Hare. I have the opportunity to teach trumpet at a music & dance studio in that general area. I mapquested it, and it looks like a good place to teach, though it will be a hike from Palos Park.

CactusA319

Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:33 am

Devon and Central is pretty far up north...not too far from ORD. It's a pretty decent area so no worries there. I know there are quite a few ethnic neighboorhoods on Devon, including Indian, Pakistani, Arabic, etc. but I believe it is further east of Central. But indeed quite a hike from Palos.

haveric

Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:30 pm

Yeah, you'll be fine up there. Good ethnic food, too!

SSTjumbo
Topic Author

Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:59 am

lol, gonna need good chinese catering after teaching kids for six hours straight Big grin

flyingbronco05

Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:43 am

Save all your money. You will definitely need it on gas if you drive.

Expensive as hell.

Good luck. It's a pretty nice area. My sister lives kinda sorta near there.

FB05
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge