mirrodie

One Question About Smoking In General?

Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:05 am

Hey, it's your prerogative whether you want to smoke or not.

But, you have an ashtray in your car for a reason. Why don't you guys just put the friggin thing out in the ashtray?

I just don't get it, I see idiots driving and for some reason I just can't understand, they HAVE to roll down the window and throw the butt out. Why?

Laziness? Arrogance? Apathy? What is the reason? Explain it to me?
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

airxliban

RE: One Question About Smoking In General?

Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:09 am

simple...then you don't have to clean out the ashtray.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

United4everDEN

Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:30 am

I yell to the people I see doing that, "PIG!!!" That really ticks me off when I see that, it raises my blood pressure. So, know that you people doing that is going to cause me an early death.  Big grin

WellHung

Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:51 am

I don't know where you've been for the past few years, but ashtrays are no longer standard in many automobiles. Why would smokers pay extra when they can just as easily toss them out the window?

BOEING747-700

Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:50 pm

I think if the law is going to ban talking on your cell phone while driving, they should do the same for Smoking. I agree with what's been said, if you litter your trash you get fined, so why is it acceptable for a person to toss their smoke out the window, is it not the same thing?

IMissPiedmont

Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:08 pm

It is not acceptable, BOEING747-700, a person would get the same ticket as the one who throws out the hamburger wrapper. Much more if a fire develops.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

goingboeing

Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:55 am

I think if the law is going to ban talking on your cell phone while driving, they should do the same for Smoking.

In the USA I wouldn't be surprised to see a ban on smoking while driving before a ban on cell phone calls while driving. Heck, California even banned smoking outdoors on the beach.

LoneStarMike

Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:16 am

I think it's due to laziness. They don't want to have to clean out their ashtrays, so they just throw it out the window.

My dad smokes and doesn't use his ashtray, but to his credit he keeps a styrofoam cup with a little water in it and puts them out in that.

I smoke (but don't have a car) so this isn't an issue for me. Last weekend I was in Salt Lake City visiting a friend who prefers that people smoke outside and of course I respect those wishes. Whenever I was done, I would put it out, but then pick up the butt and take it into the kitchen and run water from the sink over it to make sure it was out and then throw it in the trash.

If I'm hiking along the Barton Creek Greenbelt here in Austin and stop for a cigarette, I put it out and then put the butt in an empty pack of cigarettes that I use as my "ashtray".

LoneStarMike

iflyatldl

Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:38 am

As a former smoker, I can tell you that when you leave cigarette butt in the ashtray, it stinks. Especially in a car. A lot of people think if there are no butts in the ashtray, the car won't stink. Also, laziness is another reason.  Big grin
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

Hole_Courtney

Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:46 am

Well, from a smoker's perspective, here's my reason.

WE already have our window rolled down so we're not hot-boxing the car with tobacco, so when the thing is out, it's the easiest thing to do. much safer for us than bending over, taking our eyes off the road to put it in an ashtray.

Yes, I know it's not good for the environment and it's not biodegradeable, etc. But if I threw them away it'd end up in a landfill not-biodegrading anyway. Call me a pig if you want, but i'm still going to do it. It's not any more harm to the environment than a car-friendly urban planning policy or companies dumping toxins into rivers.

And quit treating smokers like second-class citizens. I bet some of you whose blood pressure rises when they see a cigarette being flicked from a car have thrown a piece of paper on the ground or thrown away batteries or bagged your grass.
"[He] knew everything about literature, except how to enjoy it." - Yossarian, Catch 22

MD11LuxuryLinr

Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:58 am

..."I agree with what's been said, if you litter your trash you get fined, so why is it acceptable for a person to toss their smoke out the window, is it not the same thing?"...

Yes it is the same thing. At least in New Jersey, you can get fined if a police officer sees you toss a butt out the window. I have a coworker that was pulled over and ticketed for "littering" after he flicked his cigarette out the window, while a police officer was driving behind him.

It does get on my nerves too. I was almost in a fit of rage about a year ago when a person I was driving behind flicked his butt out his window. The thing actually bounced off my hood and windshield.. Why did it make me so mad? I had just purchased the car, brand new, two days before.  Pissed
Caution wake turbulence, you are following a heavy jet.