Banco
Topic Author

Football: Draws Should Be Scrapped

Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:05 am

According to FIFA President Sepp Blatter. I've said it before, and no doubt I'll say it again. What a twat.  Insane

http://football.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/story/0,1273,-4026529,00.html

[Edited 2004-04-27 17:06:55]
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

scbriml

RE: Football: Draws Should Be Scrapped

Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:20 am

Hmm, tend to agree with you banco.

A quote from the article - "As long as I live...." Someone should splatter Blatter  Smile

Have to disagree with the principle for league games. A battling draw against stronger opposition is often as good as a win as far as the fans are concerned. We've all seen games where a team has come back from a big deficit to grab a draw - it would be a travesty to lose that in a shoot out. The best example I've actually watched was a few years ago (OK, a lot of years ago), QPR were losing 1-4 to Newcastle at half-time. Final score was 5-5 and we all felt like we'd won the bloody FA Cup Big grin (OK, bring it on, I know - How would we know what it feels like to win the FA Cup?)

At the moment you have a situation with 3 points for a win, where teams are still prepared to go for a win towards the end of a game. If penalties came in, I'm sure the attitude would become one of "we'll hold on for the last 15, and take our chances in the shoot-out"

Don't like it.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

racko

Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:57 am

Blatter is in the same class of dumbness as Max Mosley & Bernie Ecclestone.

Why do the best sports have to be controlled by the biggest morons ?

yanksn4

Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:02 am

Great, you Europeans can make soccer even longer and boring for us Americans. No wonder soccer is a big stinker here in the states.
2013 Airports: EWR, JFK, LGA, LIS, AGP, DEN, GIG, RGN, BKK, LHR, FRA, LAX, SYD, PER, MEL, MCO, MIA, PEK, IAH

saintsman

Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:24 am

Banco,

You will be saying it again, he's going to be there until 2007.

A draw has been okay for the last hundred years or so, so why change it? After all everybody is happy with it (besides those light blues wouldn't get any points otherwise  Big grin ). No, the man and his organisation is the worst thing happening in football and his tinkering doesn't do us much good. There's a lot to be said for a new organisation to run the game. Maybe soon.

PS. Hope you stay up.

Soku39

Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:40 am

"Great, you Europeans can make soccer even longer and boring for us Americans. No wonder soccer is a big stinker here in the states."

-This coming from some kid who watches baseball, where the games are 2 and a half to 3 hours, plus extra inning if needed, where in soccer they are a dictated to be at 90 minutes.
The Ohio Player

EGGD

Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:46 am

Scbriml - what about the time when QPR were 0-4 down at Port Vale at half time, were 1-4 down in the 83rd minute and came back to draw 4-4 in injury time. Would've been funny if it went to pens and Vale won!

USAFHummer

Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:25 am

Come to American football, where a tie as the final score happens, oh, maybe once every 5 years or so, and then you all will be happy  Smile

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

saslover

Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:32 am

What is he trying to do what about if a team needs 1 point to stay in the Premier league or something and they lose on penalty shoot-out
Pilot how soon can you land this plane. I can't tell. Yes you can tell me I am a doctor

racko

Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:38 am

American Football and Baseball...are these those strange "sports" that break the commercials from time to time?

Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:17 am

Scrapping draws!?!?! I think thats one of the stupidest things i've ever heard.

if they want to scrap something they should f***ing well scap the away goal rule, i just dont understand that rule. If its a draw its a draw, no-body wins!!!

Also instead of penalties a new system should be developed.

2 players start on the centre spot. They have to run to the goal and attempt to score. Two defenders and the keeper have to kick the ball into touch behind the goal or into the other half to stop the attackers scoring. best of 5, every outfeild player defends and attacks once.

also they should scrap extra time on two legged fixtures

FLYtoEGCC

Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:25 am

Don't see what's wrong with having draws, personally. Sounds like Blatter, being the pillock we know he is, trying to change a formula that has worked for over a hundred years for no good reason. Looking at the Premiership table, City could have been a lot worse off if we'd not got all those points from draws that we have got.

Banco - who do you support?
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away...

David_itl

Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:03 am

Banco is another City fan (unfortunately  Big grin); just think of the kind donation to City by Utd this season, showing them to being very magmanimous to their neighbours in their hour (season?) of need.

I see Banco and Racko are both fence-sitting - you must learn to say what you mean  Big grin

David

Arsenal@LHR

Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:07 am

The man should be awarded the Jackass-of-the-week award, he deserves it. Win, lose or draw has always been the way and should remain so. It makes perfect sense, you win you get 3 points, you draw and you get 1 point, you lose and you get nothing, sounds fair to me. Introducing penalties will only add more time to matches and it's hardly the most skillful way of settling a match is it?
In Arsene we trust!!

Usairwys757

Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:56 am

"Football" or Soccer as we call it here in the US, should be scrapped all together.  Laugh out loud
Inactive.....

gkirk

Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:39 pm

Just like you then Usairwys757?  Big grin
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!