aa777flyer

97 Year Old Grandmothe Arrested In TX

Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:10 am

A 97 year old grandmother and retired school teacher was arrested in Fort Worth Texas Sunday afternoon on her way home from bible study. The 97 year old grandmother had received a citation several months earlier for an expired registration, which she forgot to pay. The officer began tailing the grandmother as she drove her 1991 Honda Accord, the officer ran the plates for warrents and came back with an arrest warrent. The officer pulled the grandmother over and arrested her hand cuffs and all.
She was taken to Tarrant County Jail where she was finger printed, photographed and booked. The judge and police said they were consistant with policy of arresting peolple who do not pay their tickets.
The grandmother was very concerned that this arrest would be on her permanent record. (At 97 years old I dont think it matters to much).

I am not a native Texan, and this just supports my view that TEXAS SUCKS!!!
This is the most backwards ass state I have ever lived in.....
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

prosa

RE: 97 Year Old Grandmothe Arrested In TX

Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:14 am

At what age do you draw the line as to who gets taken into custody and who doesn't? 90? 80? 75?
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

aa61hvy

Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:15 am

"I am not a native Texan, and this just supports my view that TEXAS SUCKS!!!
This is the most backwards ass state I have ever lived in....."

Ah do you smell it? Yup thats right, its ignorance...Get a life pal.
Go big or go home

aa61hvy

Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:16 am

Good call PROSA, the law is the law, no one is exempt. NO MATTER WHAT STATE YOU'RE IN.
Go big or go home

Alpha 1

Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:21 am

The law IS the law, although I think handcuffing her was a little overboard, even for a Texas trooper.

....but Texas still sucks anyway.  Big grin

HOMER71

Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:41 am

Alpha1, have you started your petition to move Continental's HQ from Houston to Cleveland yet?  Big grin
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

aloges

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:18 am

You get that treatment for not paying a ticket?

Jeez, talk about overkill!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

KBOS

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:25 am

It's not nice to deny the Man his revenue......
I don't care if the sun don't shine, I do my drinkin in the evening time when I'm in Rhode Island

prosa

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:50 am

Jeez, talk bout overkill!

Failure to pay a ticket in most states results in license suspension. This case might have been more serious because it also involved an unregistered vehicle.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

NWA742

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:54 am

This has nothing to do with Texas you idiots. She most likely would've been arrested in any other state as well.  Insane

I see nothing wrong with what happened. Officers have to do their jobs by the book, or else they won't have one.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

VectorVictor

Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:02 am

The important question is...why is a 97 year old person operating a motor vehicle?

MidnightMike

Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:18 am

From what I understand, it is standard procedure when a citation is issued, that handcuffs and booking are called for, & not that Grandma was a threat. Rules are rules.
NO URLS in signature

scottysair

Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:28 am

They can't do that with the grandmother not need get arrested her either. She is very old lady, ok?

aa61hvy

Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:45 am

Scotty- they can and did do it. Its procedure, sorry bro.
Go big or go home

prebennorholm

Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:00 am

It is really appalling that there are some Americans here who try to defend that this whole case should be something on which the police should waste their time.

Doesn't the state of Texas employ one single social welfare service assistant who could help the old lady?

Very primitive society if you ask me.

The only positive thing is that after all this hit the press, so obviously there must be some Texans who see how absurd it is.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

DC10GUY

Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:41 am

She should feel lucky they didn't shoot her boney ass ....
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

Sabena332

Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:49 am

I know that the practices of the American police is quite "rude" compared to their European colleagues. I experienced that by myself: A few years ago I got arrested in Sacramento, for "drinking in public and discussing with the officer", it was not funny. A buddy, his cousin, myself and a few friends of my buddy's cousin were on the way to a party, but unfortunately we never arrived there because we got arrested on the way for drinking in public. I became quite scared on the way to the police station, I knew that it will become "displeasing", but I couldn't show fear because of the girls next to me  Big thumbs up.

The important question is...why is a 97 year old person operating a motor vehicle?

I am asking myself the same!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

L-188

Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:07 am

Well, I have to ask, why policy should be different for somebody that is 97 bs. somebody that is 27?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

DC10GUY

Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:30 am

If it was a 97 year black person would they have bet the shit out of her ??? That seems to be "policy" for black people.
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

jcs17

Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:09 am

....but Texas still sucks anyway.

Its better than living in a rustbelt city that gets about 30 feet of snow between the months of August and June.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

aloges

Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:11 am

Perhaps "policy" should sometimes adapt to the circumstances: handcuffs and searches for everyone who poses a possible threat or is deemed dangerous, but not for everyone.

A "possible threat" is neither posed by a 97-year old lady nor by a cooperating 27-year old black man with tattoos. It is posed by drunk people, for example. Why use handcuffs all the time, even when the people that are arrested are not seen as a threat by the policemen who arrest them? I'm quite certain that policemen are able to distinguish between dangerous and peaceable people.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Alpha 1

Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:25 pm

Rules are rules.

I doubt Kenneth Lay will get hauled in in handcuffs. Rules are rules, eh?

What a hypocrisy that is.

Its better than living in a rustbelt city that gets about 30 feet of snow between the months of August and June.

If it keeps a nut like you out of here, Jcs, then I'm happy with it.

Southern redneck to the end, eh?  Laugh out loud

desertjets

Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:01 am

Well the lady was on the Today Show this morning with Matt Lauer. She was in quite good humor about the entire situation and the police treated her very kindly.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

jhooper

Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:12 am

She looks pretty good for 97. Anyway, the bottom line is that if you don't pay your tickets, you get a warrant out for your arrest. And then when you're stopped by the police, you get arrested! At least the cop put the handcuffs in front.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

iflyatldl

Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:15 am

I saw her on the Today show too. She seemed alot more alert and astute than some twenty five year old drivers. And not cranky!  Big grin
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

redraider

Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:55 am

"Doesn't the state of Texas employ one single social welfare service assistant who could help the old lady?"

What would a social welfare service assistant have done? Walked her across the street? Pay her ticket for her? Does every 97-yr old lady get a social welfare assistant?
My wife can't wrestle, but you should see her box.

David_itl

Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:37 am

"Only" 97 years old? Just recently, the local media around MAN have reported that a 99 year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murdering his 87 year old wife at a nursing home. The story is linked here.

David

prebennorholm

Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:01 am

Does every 97-yr old lady get a social welfare assistant?

In my town and in (for sure at least most of) my country any person above 80 (plus a lot under 80) have an assigned social welfare service assistant.

In case of no problems, then they may just call once every month and check that everything is OK. And yes, they may assist getting tickets paid, fill in tax receipts and such.

When police discovers a problem with an old person, then police reports that to the social welfare service assistant.

It it so natural and obvious that I thought that it was so in all developed countries.

But the social welfare service assistants don't get them across the street. That's of course what we all do when needed or appropriate.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

iflyatldl

Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:54 am

One of her sons is a judge, and she called him to get her out of jail. She was just treated no differently than any other suspect, and she didn't demand or expect it. She had a ticket and forgot about it. You don't have to be ninety-seven to forget about a ticket.  Big grin
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

ushermittwoch

Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:39 am

Preben, your country is SOOOOOOOO Communist! Don't you just hate it?!

I hope this woman has to work off her ticket in a chain gang!!!

.....NOT!
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

Espion007

Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:04 am

The grandmother was very concerned that this arrest would be on her permanent record.

jeez you really dont have much to worry about AFTER retiring and after living like 20 years longer than normal life expectancy.well maybe one thing  Smile
Snakes on a Plane!

saxman66

Sun May 02, 2004 9:20 am

Whats with all the Texas sucks stuff? So the whole state of Texas sucks because one trooper arrested a woman. That has nothing to do with each other. The law is the law. Do you think the FAA would slide if it were an aviation mishap. I don't think so.

Next time when posting a fact, keep your degrading opionions to yourself, especially when it has nothing to do with the matter.

I think I'll express my opinion now though:

God Bless Texas!!

Chris "Tex" Wyatt
Ride Amtrak!

jcs17

Sun May 02, 2004 9:37 am

http://www.ktvu.com/news/3245574/detail.html

First of all, this didn't happen in Ft. Worth, if it was Ft. Worth--the woman would be a crack addict too, the arrest happened in my 'hood--Highland Park (it is actually just a neighborhood, our mailing address is Dallas, but we have our own schools/police/sanitation). A little background, there is very little crime in our neighborhood, what does happen is usually just car break-ins. The cops around the Park Cities are draconian, to say the least. Its not uncommon to hear of people getting speeding tickets for going 3-5mph over the speed limit. That being said, I've gotten a parking ticket from these guys (thanks alternate-side parking), I never paid my fine, and sure enough a warrant showed up to my house. Most cops in the metro areas of Texas cities won't bother arresting you if you are pulled over and have a warrant for an unpaid traffic ticket. Reason being is that it costs more to process the person than the ticket is actually worth. However, since the Park Cities don't have the same amount of crime as other municipalities, they can do things like that. I have mixed feelings about her being arrested, if she had just been a few blocks away in Dallas, they would've let her go, no doubt about it. On the other hand, she didn't pay it, and if I was in the same spot I would be arrested too.

The great thing about this was this morning I cracked open my Dallas Morning News only to read about ten letters from South Dallas and Fair Park residents about how since the woman was "rich and white" was the only reason this story got reported.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

flyboy36y

Sun May 02, 2004 10:56 am

I actually agree with the police on this one, in fact I commend them for their work. It is HIGHLY IRREGULAR for police to handcuff anyone in the front. Doing so exposes the officers to great danger should the suspect reach for one of the officer's guns (and even an old granny can be deranged...). The fact that she was cuffed in the front shows the police were considerate of her situation. The woman did have an outstanding warrant and I don't think her age should have precluded her from arrest. Is it fair to anyone if she can just break all the laws that she wants and a younger person is held accountabe??

aa777flyer

Mon May 03, 2004 12:32 am

Saxman66-

No this just highlights why Texas SUCKS. Texas SUCKS because it is UGLY, HOT, FLAT, the whole state smells like a sewer. The damn BIBLE thumpers control everything. I mean come on -- it is aginst the law to buy a car on a Sunday. Cant buy beer before noon on a Sunday? They are living 20 years behind the rest of the country. Texas is overly conservative. I say burn all the damn bibles and liberate Texas!

KYIPpilot

Mon May 03, 2004 12:54 am

AA777--you can't buy beer in Michigan before noon on a Sunday either. I think most if not all states have that rule.
"It starts when you're always afraid; You step out of line, the man come and take you away" -Buffalo Springfield

wn700driver

Mon May 03, 2004 2:14 am

Prebeldenamarkguy,

The reason we don't have social workers for everyone over a certain age here in America has nothing to with being "primative" or not. It has everything to with the fact that in America, it is okay to keep some of the money you earn and not hand it all over to the government.
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

saxman66

Mon May 03, 2004 3:31 am

Aa777flyer

I don't know where you get your facts, but where did you hear you can't buy a car on Sunday? I don't know about the alcohol rule but I know Minnesota has that also, and I'm sure other states do to. You're being a little stereotypical I think. How can you say we're 20 years behind. 20 years behind what?! We have very modern cities. Texas is NOT flat (well except Amarillo and Lubbock) See thats what makes Texas great. It is beautiful state from the piney woods to the Gulf Coast to the High Plains, to the mountains in Big Bend. Texas is no hotter than other states in the south. It easily gets cold in the winter. And no, I will keep my Bible thank you very much! This post isn't even about Texas!

Chris
Ride Amtrak!

redraider

Mon May 03, 2004 3:45 am

In Bergan County, NJ, you can't buy ANYTHING on Sunday except food.

How primitive.
My wife can't wrestle, but you should see her box.

aa777flyer

Mon May 03, 2004 4:49 am

Saxman66-
Well that is the primitive mind that all Texans have. They think Texas is the greatest thing in the world. I have lived in CA, NV, and HI. And I can assure you I can go but a beer at 7am any day of the week. ALL car dealers are open 7 days a week in those states as well. And those little mole hills you call mountains still make the state FLAT in my book. Go check out the sierra mountains, 10000 feet high. Your lakes in TX are nothing but mudpuddles. Texas does SUCK. I dont know what we were thinking to fight for it.

Jetsgo

Mon May 03, 2004 5:17 am

Aa777flyer: Dude, I don't know what your problem is, but you definitely need to take it down a notch. So what if Texas doesn't have mountains or lakes, does that really make it "suck?" I highly doubt it. Makes it boring, but doesn't make it "suck." I live in CA and a change in scenery, like in Texas, would be quite nice in my opinion.

With regards to the story, just because your 97 does not make you exempt from the law. You don't pay your ticket, you get f*cked. Period. At least she wasn't sentenced to a great deal of time in jail otherwise that might have made this whole issue questionable.

Chris
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

aa777flyer

Mon May 03, 2004 5:50 am

JetsGo-

California is waaaayyy better than TX. TX does suck. Try living there. AA did me a favour in laying me off. It was the only way to escape that hill billy hell hole. There is NOTHING beautiful or nice about TX!

saxman66

Mon May 03, 2004 8:24 am

Aa777

Man you just don't quit. But I like the friendly debate.

Car dealerships are open 7 days a week. So what if you can't buy alcohol before noon on Sundays?! Can you not go the twelve hours without alcohol?The reason is, Texas is true to it's heritage. We know where our roots are and we like to keep it that way. It seems like you're just bitter about being laid off by AA, and AA happens to be here. We have lakes too! Remember:

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas."

-Gov. Sam Houston

One of my favorite quotes  Smile

Chris
Ride Amtrak!

Jetsgo

Mon May 03, 2004 8:35 am

Aa777flyer: I agree, California is better. But, you still haven't explained to me why Texas sucks. You gave reasons as to why it's boring, but not as to why it sucks so much.

Chris
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

KAUSpilot

Mon May 03, 2004 11:44 am

Texas isn't flat....east coasties don't like to admit it, but Guadalupe Peak at 8,749 ft MSL is taller than any mountain in the appalachian chain. Some parts are ugly, like any state, but Texas has it's scenic areas. Big Bend, Caddo Lake, Davy Crockette national forest, South Padre Island, the Davis Mountains, and The Hill country are all fine natural areas. I bet you never vistited these places, did you Aa777? Texas is a fine state and a great place to live. And why is not being able to buy beer on sunday morning such an inconvenience? geeze, just stock up on saturday night.

You say it smelled like a sewer? You must've lived close to the oklahoma border...that odor wafts to the south every so often. If you don't like Texas, stay away....we've got plenty of people dying to get here without you. Stay in Kalifornia and pay $3.00/gallon for gas and give half your income to pay off the state budget defecit. I'll trade that for no beer on sunday morning anytime.

sccutler

Mon May 03, 2004 12:33 pm

This guy's cracking me up.

I still recall with misty eyes that beautiful night in 1990, when my wife, dog and I crossed the border from New Meico back into Texas, as we moved back home from Southern California. California was fun, but it was not the place I wanted to spend the rest of my life.

The range of scenery, culture and opportunity that is Texas is unmatched. if it cannot be done here, it cannot be done (OK, one exception- snow skiing. But you can do that in those parts of New Mexico and Colorado which used to be in Texas).

If our wide-bodied friend is bitter at having been laid off, well, accept my condolences; you're hardly alone. But ease up on the rhetoric, because if you're wanting to compare states, buddy, take a long, hard look at Blythe. Or Fontana. Or my personal favorite, Hawthorne, the only place I have ever been to where the KFC passed your food to you through bulletproof barriers.

I loved California when I was there, loved my neighborhood in Fullerton (though people from NB or Irvine turned up their noses and sniffed about it- one actually said, "Isn't is DIRTY there"?). Love SFO, love Napa Valley, stared in awe at the sequoiahs, will surely visit again and have fun all over again.

Then go back home to Texas, and say, "Ahh."
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

saxman66

Mon May 03, 2004 12:41 pm

To my fellow Texans, thanks for the backup. I was hoping for some. Since this forum has gotten way off subject, I think I'll start just a Texas in general thread. Then we can have a real anti/pro Texas debate.
Ride Amtrak!