flyingbronco05

Outrageous Gas Prices

Wed May 05, 2004 3:12 am

Today at 9am on the way to the airport, gas was $1.81 for unleaded.

On the way home from the airport at 1:45pm, gas at that same station was now at $2.02.

WTF is this all about?>:-( Why are prices so high? Confused Of course I want to blame Bush cause I hate that guy, but this time I'm not gonna blame him cause he is already being blamed for everything else.  Laugh out loud
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

RE: Outrageous Gas Prices

Wed May 05, 2004 3:13 am

Prepare to be flamed by the entire rest of the world, who for the most part has much higher gas prices than the highest in the United States.

Boeing757/767

Wed May 05, 2004 3:14 am

Before you fret some more, check out prices in Canada and Europe, or the rest of the world for that matter. Two bucks a gallon is cheap by comparison.

However, I do see your point -- why the big swing in one day?
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

scbriml

Wed May 05, 2004 3:17 am

Prepare to be flamed by the entire rest of the world, who for the most part has much higher gas prices than the highest in the United States.

Too damned right! If Americans had to pay what most Europeans pay for petrol, you'd all be driving compact cars instead of SUVs  Smile

Not that I'm complaining, I'm working in Qatar at the moment where petrol costs £0.10 per litre (about 1/8th the price in the UK) Big grin
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

Leskova

Wed May 05, 2004 3:18 am

Without flaming... but, nonetheless: I'll just say that the gallon of fuel costs around $5.25 here in Germany at the moment...  Big grin

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

Airplanepics

Wed May 05, 2004 3:20 am

You have it so easy, come over to England and fill your car up, you'll most probably have a heart attack!

Simon
Simon - London-Aviation.com

b757300

Wed May 05, 2004 3:26 am

The two biggest problems are lack of refining capacity and the necessity for the refineries we do have to produce multiple formulas of gasoline since the requirements vary state to state and even city to city.

Maybe if we could get the environmental whackos to STFU and allow the building of new refineries, expansion of existing ones, and drilling in ANWR, we could bring down the price of gas.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

desertjets

Wed May 05, 2004 3:32 am

Admittedly a 20 cent hike in the course of a day is a pretty significant jump. But I would be willing to speculate that a new supply of gas had come in, with a markedly higher cost.

Read this article from today's Washington Post and you will get a better idea as to what makes up gasoline costs. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A64180-2004May3.html

One of the more interesting points is that we complain so much about the cost of gasoline, even though we always know how much it costs. You know the price per gallon of gas, but how much is a gallon of milk this week at your grocery store??? I bet you the gas is still cheaper.

The beauty of the free market is that we do have choice. You can drive less, you can carpool, you can take advantage of public transit where it exists, you can buy a more fuel efficient vehicle.

And in the grand scheme of things gasoline, when kept in constant dollars adjusted for inflation, still remains pretty damn cheap in the US.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

aloges

Wed May 05, 2004 3:41 am

"Maybe if we could get the environmental whackos to STFU and allow the building of new refineries, expansion of existing ones, and drilling in ANWR, we could bring down the price of gas."

Maybe if you could get the macho "dork"heads to buy soemthing else than SUVs and heavy trucks for daily commuting and stimulate the manufacturing of efficient engines, expansion of public transport, and improving the overall use of petroluem products in the United States, you could bring down the price of gas.

It's not about "environmental whackos" (read conservationists), it's about a free market: You folks want your Excursions and Hummers to get to work, you end up needing much more gas, so you end up paying the price for a vastly increased demand opposed to a decreasing or steady supply. It's the economy, stupid!

On a side note, gas prices in the US are still heaven for any European.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

MEA310

Wed May 05, 2004 3:56 am

Same thing here in Lebanon,the gas prices are reaching staggering numbers,it's 16$/tank(tank=20litres) for 98Octane!Now that is damn high!

MEA310
M5 Fastest Sedan On Earth

dazultra

Wed May 05, 2004 3:56 am

In the UK, if my calculations are correct, the equivalent price per gallon in dollars is about $6.50... (of which about 80% is tax  Sad)

Daz.

sebolino

RE: Happy New Muslim Year 1425

Wed May 05, 2004 4:00 am

Oh dear Americans, the gas is high ?

Don't you think if the demand was lower the prices would be lower too ? And why is the demand so high ?

I'll tell you: because so many very smart Americans decided to drive SUVs and other horrible and inefficient vehicles.

I'm actually very happy that these guys have to pay now, and I hope the prices will continue to climb to reach the same level as in Europe. Then we'll see if it was so smart to buy a ridiculous big block for small dicked guys.  Big grin

portcolumbus

Wed May 05, 2004 4:08 am

Was down at $1.61 here in Columbus last night. I'd only used a quarter tank, which is less than 4 gallons for me, so it wasn't worth going out.

solarix

Wed May 05, 2004 4:12 am

I wish gas was $1.81 here. I filled up this morning at $2.13, and thats a lot cheaper than its been in the past few weeks  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

CactusA319

Wed May 05, 2004 4:25 am

Gas is in the $2.00 range in the Chicago area, altough there are a couple of stations that are selling it at $1.66 in the suburb I live in. Granted the place was packed last night when I went to fuel up my car. It wasn't fun having to circle three times in a car running on fumes.

Sebolino:

Thanks for the kind sentiments. However if only "small dick guys" buy big trucks, wouldn't France be littered with them?

RJ100

Wed May 05, 2004 4:27 am

To answer the question why gas prices are increasing:

The worldwide economy is improving, which results in higher demand for energy. US refineries do not have enough capacity, therefore they buy gas from Europe.

Hope this helps,

RJ100
none

flyingbronco05

Wed May 05, 2004 4:41 am

I guess I am lucky for the relatively "cheap" gas compared to other countries. I was just "complaining" about the 20 cent hike in less than 8 hours.

FB05
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

Espion007

Wed May 05, 2004 5:18 am

I was at the Exxon just 20 min ago buying a coke.Price for regular: $2.06

why?crude oil prices are pretty high now,and theres a high demand.Its all about supply and demand.And when the gas prices are high,i like to hop into this.

why?well it looks better than those SUVs the size of small countries Big grin even better,its growing popularity in Maryland,or at least the hotel newspaper said so  Smile
Snakes on a Plane!

SK901

Wed May 05, 2004 5:19 am

Hmmm, what's the problem. You americans shouldn't
comlpain about your gas prices. I filled my care up
yesterday it cost me $4,79 a gallon.
Traveling is living

wn700driver

Wed May 05, 2004 5:19 am

I'm actually very happy that these guys have to pay now, and I hope the prices will continue to climb to reach the same level as in Europe.

For the record, I do not drive an SUV or other type of fuel inefficient vehicle. So I should pay for those who do? What an f'in communist logic. Now I remember why I moved away from you our god-forsakened piss-hole continent. Get it through your thick heads. My money is not yours!

We'll remember your sentiments the next time you get taken over by the fascisti, pal.
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

FlyVirgin744

Wed May 05, 2004 5:26 am

I hope gas prices get a lot higher! I've been noticing a tad less traffic and people taking their cars out instead of their SUVs.

Higher gas, solution to traffic congestion? Or maybe just people going slower to consume less gas (even worse).

As long as the speed limit doesn't go back to 55.
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

aerobalance

Wed May 05, 2004 5:53 am

Yes, as an American I have been 'conditioned' to our relatively low price of gasoline as compared to the rest of the world .

But what chaps my A$$ is the percentage increase that has been 'passed along' to me, the consumer.... from $1.49 in January '04 to $2.19 (today, unleaded), that's a 47% increase in price! Yikes!! I'm interested to know what percentage increases in gas prices have been experienced by other countries as compared to us here in USA.

Edited to note that the price of unleaded petrol in Corona, Ca. went from $2.05/gal on 5/2/04 to $2.19/gal on 5/03/04. Only because the price of crude oil hit an alltime high of $38/barrel. Just got news today that it jumped to $38.75/barrel!! Price of gas should jump to $2.29 by the time I get home tonight!!!!!! This is so f**ked.

[Edited 2004-05-04 23:11:15]
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

radarbeam

Wed May 05, 2004 6:03 am

Same hike here in Montreal, it jumped from 84.4 (already too high) to a whooping 94.4 per litre. I wonder what the hell justifies that hike? Did the barel of oil went up this much in 24 hours?

Danny

Wed May 05, 2004 6:03 am

Gas prices in Europe are higher not only due to taxes but also because of better quality. In the US the cheapest is usually 87 octans (but I saw 85 as well) and the best 93-94. In Europe its usually 95 for the worst and 99 for the best.

prebennorholm

Wed May 05, 2004 6:13 am

The reason is the terror activity in Saudi Arabia.

The trans-national oil companies are pulling out their technical experts leaving the facilities at an uncertain fate.

It makes the international oil market very nervous. All oil traders all over the world are trying to build up stocks in order to ride over an eventual supply crises. It drives up prices.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

EA CO AS

Wed May 05, 2004 6:14 am

In the UK, if my calculations are correct, the equivalent price per gallon in dollars is about $6.50... (of which about 80% is tax )

We in the U.S. already think gasoline is taxed too highly - but the oppressive taxation European nations impose on their citizens' gasoline is an outrage.

IMHO, you folks in Europe shouldn't be giving Americans lectures on your costs, but rallying against your governments for putting the screws to you so badly!

Your time would be better spent trying to improve your situation than whining about how we're "lucky" to only get screwed a little bit.  Insane

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Cactus739

Wed May 05, 2004 6:17 am

Gas in Phoenix has been relatively stable as of late... today I paid $1.97 at the QuikTrip... then got a 99 cent hot dog too.

You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

aerobalance

Wed May 05, 2004 6:24 am

Hey Sebolino,

This 'Smart American' drives an SUV that gets 10.629 km/liter. It happens to be a very efficient machine. I'm sure you can never guess what type it is. It seems as if your arrogance clouds your mind....I'm so sorry that you have to pay soooooooooo much for gasoline and it all goes to pad the pockets of your government 'officials'.

Sorry to disappoint you.

sebolino

Wed May 05, 2004 7:25 am

Aerobalance,

I'm not disappointed, not at all.
If you drive an efficient car, that's wonderful (which anyway I doubt).

But for having had some "discussions" here with big cars fan, I can tell you that's not the case for many.

And the fact is that the high prices are related to a high demand, so there's nothing to deny anyway.

Now, speaking about politicians is rather funny, as taxes on gas are not more for politicians than any other tax (at least in Europe), and I personnaly like that gas taxes are high, it prevents my country to be full of Chevrolets.
But I wonder how many Bush friends and relatives are having a good time with your money as they have shares and big interests in oil companies.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

JAL777

Wed May 05, 2004 7:29 am

I personnaly like that gas taxes are high, it prevents my country to be full of Chevrolets.

So what you're saying is that with the exception of you and a few other French loonies... the normal Frenchman would choose a nice big V8 Chevrolet over a crap Renault?

JeffM

Wed May 05, 2004 7:30 am

Without "Big Oil" companies.... you would likely triple the cost of your fuel.

FREE MARKET

"And the fact is that the high prices are related to a high demand, .. you said it yourself...

now...why is there such a demand? uh........

Superfly

Wed May 05, 2004 7:46 am

Sebolino:
I partially agree with your post but a lot of our obnoxious gas guzzling SUVs come from Japan and Germany.
In fact, Chevrolet's average fleet gas economy (CAFE standards) are higher than Mercedes, BMW and Lexus.
Chevrolet does have economy cars in there fleet and are just as reliable as French cars.  Smile

It's unfair to single out American automanufactures for gas guzzling SUVs when the worst one's are imports. Yes there are a few Suburban and Excursion owners that tow boats, haul heavy equipment and possible some off-roading. The worse have to be the SUVs made by Lexus, Mercedes, BMW and Infinity because that is nothing but status vehicles that you will NEVER see functioning as a truck.

To everyone else, STOP BITCHING!  Pissed
Here in San Francisco it's $2.50 a gallon!
I am glad we have a good public transportaion system in place.

[Edited 2004-05-05 00:53:46]
Bring back the Concorde

EA CO AS

Wed May 05, 2004 7:48 am

I personnaly like that gas taxes are high

Taxes lessen your purchasing power and deprive you of enjoying the fruits of your labor.

Anyone who claims to like high taxes is a fool.

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

aerobalance

Wed May 05, 2004 7:51 am

Sebolino,

A doubter is a pouter.

I'm sorry to see you strike down my mileage figures. I'm very happy with my efficient SUV. I know, you can't understand what an efficient SUV is.

Don't worry, I do have my '87 Ford Mustang GT to take to the race track to get my kicks. It only has 271,000 km on it without anything going wrong with it (stock clutch still in it). That big old Ford V-8 gas guzzler sure is fun to drive really fast, and to waste all that fuel with - 9.36km/l........ yeee-haaaaw

'Smart American'
Aerobalance

L-188

Wed May 05, 2004 7:55 am

Guys, you want to partially blame somebody for these prices, you need to go back 10 years and blame Clinton and his lack of foresight and wanting to cater to terrrorist evironmnetalists that would support him in his reelection.

In 1994 a bill was put on desk authorizing the exploration of the 1002 area of the North Slope of Alaska to oil develpment. This area was excepted by statute signed by president Carter as part of his bid to turn my home state into a giant national park for the lower 48. It was required that Carter do this to get his creation of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge created. All Clinton had to do was sign the bill.

He vetoed it to secure the support of those terrorist organzations that where supporting him.

It takes 10 years to get a new oilfield on line, so if he had authroized it we would just be seeing oil from that field entering the market now. The field is predicted to double the oil production in Alaska. Alaska currently productes 1/4 of it a day.

Needless to say this would have had a significant influence on domestic supply and price
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Superfly

Wed May 05, 2004 8:08 am

L-188:
Oh come on now, don't you think this whole Clinton-bashing is a bit old especially 3 1/2 years in to the Dubya administration?

Clinton supported by terrorist?
That's a new one.
What did Ronald Reagan and Papa Bush do make sure Alaska didn't become "a giant national park for the lower 48"?*
They had 12 years to do it.

How much oil does ANWR have to sustain our rate of consumption anyway?

Oh what do I know, I am just 'lower 48 scum'.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

*By the way, you'd make a great Forest Ranger!  Laugh out loud
Bring back the Concorde

L-188

Wed May 05, 2004 8:45 am

Nope, your even worse, "California Scum"  Laugh out loud

As far as Clinton and Carter, Yes I will bash them, They are the ones that where making the decisions at the time the 1002 area was created and that bill vetoed.

It isn't a "bush thing"

Superfly

Wed May 05, 2004 8:51 am

L-188:
So your implying that 'The Last Frontier' is intended for big business to tap out the last remaining resources?
Bring back the Concorde

L-188

Wed May 05, 2004 8:53 am

What I am implying is that it is up to Alaskans to decide what resources they wish to have developed. Not some granola Cruncher who is paid to bribe senators in Washington.

Superfly

Wed May 05, 2004 9:01 am

L-188:
How do most Alaskans feel about this issue?
I had a roomate from Homer, Alaska who was an outdoors type but not a granola cruncher. She was very much against drilling up in ANWR.
Bring back the Concorde

L-188

Wed May 05, 2004 9:05 am

Superfly.
E-Mail me, I might know her.

But when I graduated high school in Homer in 1991, I couldn't wait to get out of that town.

Very much a hideout for those that don't realize the 1960's haven't died. There are still parts of that town where you can find your way home from the glow lights in the neighbors windows. Lots of granola crunchers in that town.

B2707SST

Wed May 05, 2004 9:16 am

By far the biggest cause: the price of crude oil is up more than 60% from a year ago.

The price of an average gallon of gas in the US has only gone up 26% in the past year, from $1.41 to $1.81. Despite widespread scapegoating, the refineries and gas dealors are being squeezed: the cost of inputs has risen by much more than the cost of outputs.

(See http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/wrgp/mogas_history.html for historical gas price data.)

Second, the summer driving season is beginning and the economy is recovering, which both increase demand for gasoline. Gas is an inelastic good, meaning small changes in demand produce large changes in price.

Third, environmental and NIMBY lobbyists have successfully slowed refinery constructon in the US and have closed many existing facilities. California, which is experiencing some of the highest gas prices in the country, hasn't built a new refinery in decades. This supply bottleneck keeps prices artificially high.

Fourth, the EPA and state authorities require dozens of different gasoline formulations for sale in specific zones. Each blend must be manufactured and transported separately, pushing up costs. Gasoline supplies often can't migrate from low-cost regions (rural areas) to high-cost regions (typically cities and suburbs) due to different formulations. This hampers the market's natural adjustment to price disparities.

--B2707SST
Keynes is dead and we are living in his long run.

airplanetire

Wed May 05, 2004 9:22 am

The raising gas prices in this country are only such a big deal, I believe, because people drive such big cars in general. Nowadays, I observe about half of the cars on the road, maybe more, are SUVs, minivans, or vans, many of which are not "compact" versions to say the least. At the moment I am paying about $1.70/gallon for gas. I realize that is cheap compared to much of the United States, but it is still $0.55 more than I was paying a few months ago. I don't really care though. I drive a small fuel efficient car. When I fill up, it is usually a little less than 10 gallons, so even though the gas price has gone up by about 1/3, it only changes what I pay for gas by a couple of dollars. If I was driving a huge SUV that only got 13mpg and had a 40 gallon tank, like a good percentage of SUVs on the road these days, this would increase my fill up costs by about $20.

Next time anyone who complains about gas prices is buying a car, if you do not already have one, buy a fuel efficient car. You'll be doing everyone a service. Your family of two adults and two kids does not need a ten seat SUV to give you the space you need.

Also Americans, feel fortunate!  Smile The gas is SO much more expensive in the rest of the world. I remember being in Greece a few years ago and seeing at the gas stations a price of about 400 drachma. I thought to myself that that is only about one dollar, so they have good prices, but then I realized that Europe is, of course, on metric, so that was the price per liter. With close to four liters in a gallon, that makes their gas quite expensive, yet according to some of the users here, that would still be a good price in Europe.

-Airplanetire

Superfly

Wed May 05, 2004 10:01 am

Airplanetire:
Next time anyone who complains about gas prices is buying a car, if you do not already have one, buy a fuel efficient car. You'll be doing everyone a service. Your family of two adults and two kids does not need a ten seat SUV to give you the space you need.

Good points raised.
Better yet, try to buy property near public transit (subways, major bus lines) instead of being lured by the large cardboard boxes 70 miles away from there job. Stop voting against 1 cent sales tax to improve or bring in lightrail, subway or infrastructure upgrades.

Northern Virginia and Orange & San Diego Counties in Southern California did just that. They voted against a half-cent tax to improve there infrastructure and look at the mess they are in now. Some of the worse commutes in the nation.
Bring back the Concorde

JeffM

Wed May 05, 2004 10:33 am

You can thank Gov. Davis for the mess in California. Man am I glad I left.

Turtle

Wed May 05, 2004 11:38 am

I know, it's the quality oil that we went for when going in the war in Iraq!
It's so good we must charge more for it... Yeah sure (war for oil...please!)

jcs17

Wed May 05, 2004 1:34 pm

I was pretty shocked when I went to a gas station today and 93 octane was $1.92 a gallon--it was $1.81 last time I filled up. Not that the majority of Americans really care though, no one is about to throw their SUV away to buy a Metro---and that is a good thing.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

IMissPiedmont

Wed May 05, 2004 1:48 pm

The price of crude has very little to do with the price of gasoline, 26 years ago it was pushing $60.00 per bbl.

And ya'll might just acknowlwdge the fact that gaoline was right at the $1.00 per gallon price 20 years ago in the US. Adjust that for 20 years inflation at 5% and you'll see that we pay less now in the US.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

sebolino

Wed May 05, 2004 5:26 pm

Wn700driver:
I do not drive an SUV or other type of fuel inefficient vehicle. So I should pay for those who do? What an f'in communist logic.

It's actually the opposite of communism. It's called market prices.

JAL777:
So what you're saying is that with the exception of you and a few other French loonies... the normal Frenchman would choose a nice big V8 Chevrolet over a crap Renault?

It happens that we have also in France our load of small sized boys, and many of them would love to buy an ugly car like yours.
Fortunately, gas prices are high and they don't make a smart choice, but pay a lot in gas, which is a small compensation.
Now, about "crap", Renault is far better than your shitty Chevrolet, but not as good as German cars though.

L-188

Wed May 05, 2004 5:29 pm

Does Chevy even make a car, outside of the Corvette with a V-8 anymore???

Milage doesn't strike me as the reason why anybody would buy a vette.