United Airline
Topic Author

Continental/American/English Breakfast

Sat May 08, 2004 3:31 am

I know most Europeans have Continental Breakfast for their breakfast. But why? Do they eat less than Americans? I know you get croissants, cereals, orange juice/milk as well as tea for Continental Breakfast.

As for American Breakfast you get eggs, ham and bacon in addition to what you get at Continental Breakfast right?

What about English Breakfast? What is that? Guess its more full right?

Can anyone define these three? Thanks!

Haven't had a full breakfast for a long time.  Smile

Biggles20

RE: Continental/American/English Breakfast

Sat May 08, 2004 3:50 am

Hello,

The last really good English breakfast was at the Durrants Hotel in London, UK when my Dad was in country!

Plate had all the usual - egg (of your choice - I prefer scrambled), back-bacon, field mushroom, black-pudding, baked-beans, sausages, fried bread...absolutely gorgeous!
Meal also came with toast & spreads, tea, fresh-fruit juice, croissant and bowl of cereal before it all!

mmmmmmmm,

biggles

United Airline
Topic Author

Sat May 08, 2004 4:14 am

Potato and tomato?

I like Scrambled eggs too.  Smile

So what's the difference between American and English Breakfast?

desertjets

Sat May 08, 2004 8:20 am

Is there such a thing as an American Breakfast????

I've never heard such a term and there is a lot of different ways that breakfast is set up in the states based on where you are eating it. Such as bacon vs. country sausage. Grits vs. oatmeal vs. hash browns. Pancakes are usually are part of it as well.

Personally I just think English Breakfast is just vile.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

zak

Sat May 08, 2004 8:33 am

can you please elaborate what a "continental", "american" and "english" breakfast is?
10=2

scottysair

Sat May 08, 2004 8:35 am

Well, I ate with some of breakfast in the morning and it's was okay for me.

United Airline
Topic Author

Sat May 08, 2004 4:53 pm

Yes please can anyone define ALL THREE OF THEM???? Thanks!

LHMark

Sat May 08, 2004 8:49 pm

The American breakfast is usually a couple of eggs (any style) possibly pancakes, meat (usually bacon, ham, or corned beef hash), and potato (home fries or hash browns). It's unhealthy and gluttonous, like the ignorant fatsos who arrogantly try to order it in all parts of the world.

Signed, the Euros

The continental breakfast is a roll, a yogurt, and a coffee. it's unsatisfying and joyless, the breakfast equivalent of the attitudes coming out of Berlin, Paris, and Madrid these days. A smug breakfast for the self-rightoeus.

Signed, the American neocons

The English breakfast is like the American breakfast, except less refined and fried in goose fat, then served on the wrong side of the table. Look what it does to your teeth.

Signed, everyone.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

United Airline
Topic Author

Sat May 08, 2004 9:42 pm

I thought you get the most at ENGLISH BREAKFAST!

srbmod

Sat May 08, 2004 11:44 pm

The English Breakfast and American Breakfast are actually very similar. While you won't get the Puddings like you would in a typical English (or even Irish) Breakfast, you usually have some form of fatty meat, eggs, potatoes, and bread. Now there's also a variant of the American Breakfast as well, the Southern Breakfast. Eggs, sausage, bacon, or ham (sometimes all three), grits (Coarsely ground dried corn that is boiled in water. I like mine with butter and cheese.), and biscuits and gravy (usually made from the pan drippings left from the meat). The Southern Breakfast may contain potatoes, but it depends on where in the South you are; resturants like Waffle House and Cracker Barrel have potatoes as part of their breakfasts, but the typical Southerner doesn't usually cook potatoes unless they're not having grits. I've had a version of the English Breakfast at a local English pub here in Atlanta, and I just about always get it when I go there. Two eggs (any style), choice of sausage (or soysage for those vegetarians) or bacon, some chips, a crock of baked beans, and some toast. Wash that down with a few pints and you've got quite filling meal anytime of the day.

EGGD

Sun May 09, 2004 12:17 am

Usually our english breakfast consists of: Sausages, Bacon, Fried egg (or scrambled), beans, hash browns or potatocake, mushrooms and fried tomato.

You can also have gammon and if you go to a restaurant for a full english breakfast you'll probably get croissants, ham, yoghurt etc as well.

United Airline
Topic Author

Sun May 09, 2004 1:11 am

Heard that you get more for English Breakfast........  Smile

Why do Europeans eat so little during breakfast time? I mean Continental Breakfast

santosdumont

Sun May 09, 2004 1:21 am

I'm one of those people that can't function without a hearty breakfast. I tried it, but a roll and a cup of coffee just don't do it for me.

Bring on some scrambled eggs and waffles!
"Pursuit Of Truth No Matter Where It Lies" -- Metallica

United Airline
Topic Author

Sun May 09, 2004 4:41 am

I don't eat that much either during breakfast.

United Airline
Topic Author

Sun May 09, 2004 2:38 pm

BTW, hotels usually serve Continental Breakfast only, unless you pay more.

So does anyone have a more clear definition? And which one is more full? American and English?

Anyone had Chinese breakfast before? Its pretty nice. You get noodles, congee etc

Jaspike

Sun May 09, 2004 7:28 pm

And which one is more full? American and English?
In San Francisco I had what I think was an American breakfast. Comparing it with an English breakfast, the English is definitely more filling - and tastier Big grin

Tom

United Airline
Topic Author

Sun May 09, 2004 8:05 pm

So what's the definition between all three???? What do you get for each of them?????

Do Europeans eat less during breakfast? Why Continental Breakfast for them?

The best breakfast I had was in Amsterdam........ Forgot the name of the hotel but it was a 5 star one.

Banco

Sun May 09, 2004 9:48 pm

English and American are pretty much interchangeable. The biggest thing about them is that you tend not to hear an English breakfast called English in England, or an American breakfast called American in America. At least to a degree.  Big grin

The differences such as they are tend to be more in line with what you would get in each country, so you would never get a steak in an English breakfast, but you might in an American, and you'd never get a black pudding in an American one, but you might in an English one. Other than, no real difference.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

L-188

Sun May 09, 2004 9:50 pm

American style Breakfasts?

I thought that consited of Cold Pizza and a beer Saturday morning.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Banco

Mon May 10, 2004 3:42 am

Ah well, L-188, if we're talking true national breakfasts, then ours is a reheated takeaway curry and a can of Special Brew.  Big grin
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

United Airline
Topic Author

Mon May 10, 2004 3:48 am

So why is Continental Breakfast so little??????? HAHA!

And why do Europeans eat so little during Continental Breakfast?

worldoftui

Mon May 10, 2004 4:35 am

Isn't a traditional English breakfast a cup of tea and a cigarette?  Smile

Mark

United Airline
Topic Author

Mon May 10, 2004 4:38 am

Do British people smoke that much????

worldoftui

Mon May 10, 2004 4:44 am

Not sure of the figures. I don't, except when a little drunk.
To be honest, I hate tea and the thought of smoking first thing in the morning makes me want to puke.

United Airline
Topic Author

Mon May 10, 2004 5:14 am

Any comment on Continental Breakfast?

worldoftui

Mon May 10, 2004 9:01 am

Not big on breakfast.
Continental breakfast in hotels seems such a rip off.
Stayed at a Holiday Inn a few days ago.
16USD ro whatever it was for a croissant, a yog and a bit of fruit. Jeez.
At least a couple of dollars more and you can have a meal for breakfast - an American breakfast. Still not as good as a full english.

And anyway, they aren't accurate names for breakfast. Don't people everywhere just have cornflakes?

Personally, can't cope with eating much in the morning. Thought of going to work is so traumatic that it puts me off my food!  Smile A museli bar or something is about all I can stomach.

Mark

L.1011

Mon May 10, 2004 9:17 am

I'll take a stab.

Continental: All cold, can be pre-prepared, that's why hotels like it. Consists of bread of some sort (a pastry, roll etc) yougurt, cereal.

American: Eggs how you like them, Bacon or sausage, toast, and hash browns aka home fries. NOTE: Following states add grits: Alabama Arkansas Florida Georgia Kentucky Louisiana Mississippi North Carolina Oklahoma South Carolina Tennessee Texas Virginia West Virginia

British: Like American, but usually scalloped potatoes instead of hash browns, and with a tomato or a few, and a small portion of mushrooms.

Why did it come out this way? Well, the American economy was based on agriculture and heavy industry and the British on heavy industry longer than the continental European economy, which developed into services sooner. If you work on a farm, or at a steel factory, you need a big helping of calories to start off the day, and the big breakfast was born. Working a desk doesn't nessecitate so much energy, and continentals cut it down to something that allowed them less work and mess in the morning. The traditions have stuck, and so it went. Also, Americans have more of a tendency to take long road trips, which propogated the existance of Waffle House and IHOP. A big breakfast is really a great thing on long-haul driving like Northeast-Florida.

United Airline
Topic Author

Mon May 10, 2004 2:16 pm

Cool! Ever had Hong Kong/Chinese breakfast???? They are nice too. Oh trust me the food in HONG KONG is AMAZING. Agree? Miss the food so much!

MD11Engineer

Mon May 10, 2004 8:54 pm

There is no thing as a "Continental breakfast". In Germany e.g., a typiocal breakfast (if you are not in a rush to go to work) consistst of a soft boiled egg, rolls with jam, cheese or sausage, acc. to the person´s taste and a mug of coffee, plus often cereals.
In Italy the typical breakfast I got when I was working there was a cup of milk coffee plus a croissant or a similar piece of semi sweet cake, not very filling. In Spain it was usualy "Churros y Chocolate", a kind of donut like cake served with hot, creamy cocoa, this was sometimes substituted with a strong coffee, similar to Italian espresso.
In Ireland the typical breakfast served as an "Irish" breakfast in hotels, is more or less the same as an "English" breakfast, but without the baked beans. Most Irish I know don´t eat it anyway, they prefer cereals or some rolls.

In the Philippines a typical breakfast consists of the leftover rice of last evening, fried in a pan with some eggs and garlic, eaten with some piece of fish or meat. Alternatively people eat "Pan de leche", sweet bread rolls and drink coffee with it.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Andreas

Mon May 10, 2004 9:13 pm

Berlin is the breakfast capital of the world, trust me on that one, Berliners just love to get a breakfast that takes 2 hours minimum! Nobody does call it American breakfast or English...(what a joke  Big grin).

In France though the above described version of "continental" can be found, but their lunch is somewhat different from the English version Big grin

btw: I love the Marriott version Big grin
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

CHRISBA777ER

Mon May 10, 2004 10:32 pm

You've obviously never had the full British - its like an English but with Celtic influences. You'd have this early in the morning before going out on the beer all day, or to a football match. Probably not have it more than once a month, but look forward to it anyway! This is normal brekkie for me before i go to the football. This is how its done in my family - pretty normal really, for average Brits.

Potato Waffles (2 of)
Hash Browns (3 of)
Cumberland Sausages (2 of)
Pork and Beef Lincolnshire Sausages (2 of)
Bacon (three rashers of)
8oz Rump Steak
Black Pudding
White Pudding
Scrambled Eggs
Fried Eggs (2 of)
Fried Mushrooms (lots of)
Baked Beans
Fried Tomato (two halves of)
Buttered Toast (two slices of)
Fried Bread (two slices of)
Diced Fried Onion
Mug of tea.
Glass of OJ.
HP Sauce
Heinz Tomato Ketchup
Honey for the toast if required.

That will sort you out. Big grin

CM
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

United Airline
Topic Author

Mon May 10, 2004 11:50 pm

Then why do hotels say CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST? Do Europeans eat that little during breakfast?

Lan_Fanatic

Mon May 10, 2004 11:56 pm

Does anybody know if the "Brazilian breakfast" term really exists? Here in Chile it is very popula, as it is always announced in the brazilian tourist brochures...they always offer "un exquisito desayuno brasileño" or "an exquisit brazilian breakfast". As far as I know, the main part of this brazilian breakfast is that it has a lot of fruits, and everything comes with a slice of fruit in it.

BTW, I love those giant breakfasts that I've had in the US. Where verything is fried and you leave the place rolling like a football. Nothing beats it.

MD11Engineer

Mon May 10, 2004 11:58 pm

For myself, if I´ve got to get up early in the morning (work starts here between 6 am and 7 am in factories and 8 to 9 am in shops and offices), I can hardly get anything down. Usualy I drink a mug of tea and eat what´s left over from lasi night´s supper. Then at first break at work, around 9 to 10 o´clock I´ll eat something serious.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

tbar220

Tue May 11, 2004 12:04 am

UNITED AIRLINE,

HI THERE!! Man, I just can't GO without a breakfast IN THE MORNING!!!!!! I prefer to eat something, NOT TOO BIG in the morning and then eat a DECENT sized lunch, finishing MY DAY off with something SMALL!!!! Don't you think that's AMAZING????? ALL this talk about breakfast is SO EXCITING!?!?!?!!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist  Big thumbs up
NO URLS in signature

Andreas

Tue May 11, 2004 12:04 am

Sounds nice, but we do get that in Germany, too, but we gave it a different name  Big grin Big grin

United: I suppose some people think this is a standing expression, that is, everybody does understand..they are wrong!! It's a bit like that hilarious 6 or 7 star hotel...to make clear they are sooooo good, in fact, there is no such thing as a 6-star hotel, scale ends at 5-star plus, and that's it!

LHMark

Tue May 11, 2004 1:28 am

Potato Waffles (2 of)
Hash Browns (3 of)
Bacon (three rashers of)
8oz Rump Steak
Black Pudding
White Pudding
Scrambled Eggs
Fried Eggs (2 of)
Baked Beans
Diced Fried Onion
Mug of tea.
Glass of OJ.
HP Sauce
Heinz Tomato Ketchup

That will sort you out.

Jeez, how did WE become the obese ones???
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

CHRISBA777ER

Tue May 11, 2004 1:41 am

LHMark-

...Because we have more sex than you lot do, and dont play stuff like baseball or golf - we play Rugby and soccer all day, and us Welsh have a pastime that involves fighting and running from pub to pub - we are therefore muscly and thin but with appalling teeth from all the coffee and HP Sauce. Will probably throw up the breakfast anyway if we drink enough.  Big grin

Dont knock it till youve tried it.

CM
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

tbar220

Tue May 11, 2004 1:45 am

CHRIS,

That is brilliant. Have more sex, drink more beer, and all the obesity problems will go away!  Big thumbs up

All those people who harp about diets on and on don't know what they're talking about. The answer is more sex...yea...  Laugh out loud
NO URLS in signature

Andreas

Tue May 11, 2004 1:46 am

The Brits???? More sex than any people in the world?? ROFLMFAO!!!!

My clear vote for the funniest statement in this Forum on this Monday Big grin Big grin Big grin

CHRISBA777ER

Tue May 11, 2004 2:02 am

No, Andreas, i said we have more sex than the Americans.

Which is clearly true.

CM

garnetpalmetto

Tue May 11, 2004 4:55 am

Potato Waffles (2 of)
Hash Browns (3 of)
Bacon (three rashers of)
8oz Rump Steak
Black Pudding
White Pudding
Scrambled Eggs
Fried Eggs (2 of)
Baked Beans
Diced Fried Onion
Mug of tea.
Glass of OJ.
HP Sauce
Heinz Tomato Ketchup

My God, I can feel my arteries siezing up just reading that list.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

Jaspike

Tue May 11, 2004 5:08 am

This is how its done in my family - pretty normal really, for average Brits.
 Wow! ....Normal!? Nah!  Laugh out loud
...I've never seen an English breakfast that size!  Laugh out loud

Tom

worldoftui

Tue May 11, 2004 5:18 am

I have to agree with you Jaspike.

Thats not a breakfast, thats an ordeal!

How the hell can you eat all of that? More importantly ChrisBa777ER, how would you have any room for beer?

Mark

United Airline
Topic Author

Tue May 11, 2004 5:27 am

I agree 100%!

So Continental Breakfast is just a name to rip people off?

United Airline
Topic Author

Tue May 11, 2004 5:28 am

You get free continental breakfast at most hotels though

worldoftui

Tue May 11, 2004 5:34 am

My opinion is if you have to pay for Continental, its a rip off.

Holiday Inn Express do a free Continental breakfast - not bad, not worth paying for a croissant, an apple and juice, but nice thats its offered. Certainly not worth 15USD or whatever you could get charged.

Mark

United Airline
Topic Author

Wed May 12, 2004 7:50 pm

Yes! I stayed at the EXPRESS BY HOLIDAY INN at OLD STREET London and it was GREAT!