ussherd

Question About The Mennonites

Mon May 10, 2004 1:38 am

Quite recently one of my friends married a Mennonite girl. She left the Mennonite church and joined my friend's church and the upshot is that she's now under The Ban. My question is… what exactly is this ban? Also, I always assumed the Mennonites were a slightly more liberal version of the Amish. Is this the case?
Cada loco con su tema...

ZSSNC

RE: Question About The Mennonites

Mon May 10, 2004 1:51 am

Ussherd,

yes, the Mennonites are more liberal than the Amish, but then again there are Amish which are more liberal than others. The Old Order Amish are the most conservative ones, which do not use any electricity whatsoever. However, other Amish people may use electricity at work. I'm surprised to hear that this girl is banned (from whatever) by the Mennonites. E.g. the Amish christen their children at an adult age at which they are able to make up their minds on whether they want to be Amish or not. If they decide against a life as Amish they are, however, not banned. It would surprise me, if this was the case with the more liberal Mennonites.

ZSSNC
Airbus A340-600 - the longest temptation in the sky

concord977

RE: Question About The Mennonites

Mon May 10, 2004 5:43 am

We have a large Amish market near our home. It is managed by 9 families who commute from Lancaster, PA to our DC suburb every week. Because the Amish do not drive cars (or own them) they have an agreement with some PA Mennonites to drive them and their produce down each week.

My point: Amish people do not drive, Mennonite people do drive. One indication of being slightly less conservative.
No info