futterman

Showing A Comparison With A Standard Curve

Wed May 12, 2004 7:39 am

Hey All

Yet another bump in the road I have come to know as 'Science Project.' To the chase, can standard curves be used for comparative purposes?

I understand how they can be used to determine, for instance, the size of an unidentified protein, but can I put two curves (two separate data series) on the same graph, and use it to merely compare things?

Perhaps, since I have six graphs, simply comparing the curves or plots between the graphs is one way. Did I just answer my own question?

I'm trying to get a photo up so maybe you can get the jist of what I'm trying to ask.

YES, I googled...

Thanks Again,
Brian
What the FUTT?

vafi88

RE: Showing A Comparison With A Standard Curve

Wed May 12, 2004 8:10 am

Brian, I thinik you need to explain to these folks exactly what you're doing, I don't think anyone understood you.

ME knowing what you're doing, I'd have to say you have to compare the 2 (remember the chicken/shrimp ordeal) graphs possibly on one graph.

If you get a standard, what would you get a standard of? Like you said the tissues are different as you go from species to species such as beef and pork might be the same but chicken and shrimp might be totally different.
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

WellHung

Wed May 12, 2004 8:32 am

Is this the kind of curve you're talking about?  Big grin

mrniji

Wed May 12, 2004 8:40 am

It is possible if you specify in detail what you ar doing. when I understand correctly you only want to sketch two developments.

Be careful how you do it and give clear expressions, evtl concert one curve in the dimension of the other in order to have a valid comparison
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

futterman

Wed May 12, 2004 9:02 am

"Using Protein Electrophoresis to Determine Protein Similarities Among Different Organisms" is the title of my experiment. Here's a shot of one of the graphs (Beef...there's also Chicken, Pork, Octopus, Chicken, and Fish, plus kaleidoscope and actin/myosin standards).

Vitaly: The standard is something called a Kaleidoscope Standard (refer to link for definition). In electrophoresis, you run that as well as the samples (each in separate lanes). All of the banding patterns (refer to link again) that appear from the Kaleidoscope Standard have 'pre-determined', or known molecular weights. This is another way to identify unknown proteins in my project.
http://www.bio-rad.com/LifeScience/pdf/Bulletin_2123.pdf

No, WellHung...like THIS:

Right Click>Save Picture As... for full size

-Brian

[Edited 2004-05-12 02:03:55]
What the FUTT?

EA CO AS

Wed May 12, 2004 9:22 am

Brian-

You do know the site's called AIRLINERS.net, right?  Big grin
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

futterman

Wed May 12, 2004 9:33 am

Yeah, but it's not called www.elephantvsass-liners.net, now is it?  Wink/being sarcastic

The forum's NON-Aviation, and that's exactly what this thread is. I think Well-"I Failed Bio"-Hung begs to differ, though. lol
What the FUTT?

WellHung

Wed May 12, 2004 9:46 am

I was just saying this thread sucks.  Big grin I had another post that explained my qualifications in biology, but it was deleted for "discussed to death."  Confused I can assure you, it was far from failing. Big grin