galaxy5

New Vehicle For US Military "cougar"

Thu May 13, 2004 10:41 pm

New vehicle for use by the US military, its RPG proof, Landmine proof and on the way. Looks like it would be great on the highway as well, move over Hummer its the Cougar.

http://www.forceprotection.net/cougar_specs.html
"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

david b.

RE: New Vehicle For US Military "cougar"

Thu May 13, 2004 10:45 pm

ERA armor on a humvee-like vehicle?
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

galaxy5

Thu May 13, 2004 10:51 pm

we've already taken a few of these Buffalo over there, i got to drive it around the flightline after we took it off, it was cool.
http://www.forceprotection.net/buffalo_specs.html

Alessandro

Thu May 13, 2004 10:52 pm

Look like a Casspir ....
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

KROC

Thu May 13, 2004 11:03 pm

Come on Galaxy5 - No self-respecting member of the military past or present calls them "Hummers".  Big grin

captaingomes

Fri May 14, 2004 1:16 am

Maybe GM will buy the company and market a civilian version. Those Hummers are far too wimpy.  Big grin
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

NoUFO

Fri May 14, 2004 2:09 am

Bad news for Cadillac Gage / Krauss-Maffei Wegmann. They're hopefully looking forward to sell some Dingo 2.

I support the right to arm bears

galaxy5

Fri May 14, 2004 2:36 am

That dingo looks like a sweet ride as well.

L-188

Fri May 14, 2004 12:44 pm

Boy you say Cougar to me and I immediately picture that POS Canadian six wheel APC that was bought as a cheaper vehicle for the "reserves" and then ended up being transfered to the regular Forces Canada because Cretian was too cheap to get the Army the vehicles it actually needed.

These vehicles are dedicated mine warfare vehicles. They where developed by South Africa (Who says the US doesn't by non-US made vehicles, Even Cadillac-Gage does most of it's manufacturing in Canada  Wink/being sarcastic )

There was a thread over in military aviation that brought up the biggest weaknesses of the US Military.

I wish the miltary would learn that guage steel and .040 Aluminum is not going to stop a bullet, RPG or mine. Military vehicles need to be designed to either incoprate real protection or at least be able to be quickly improvised. Take the old 800 series 5 Ton trucks. The drive sat about 7 feet behind the front wheels, oddly enough the ones on the truck that are going to hit a mine first. On the M35 there is abot 7 feet between the cab and the front tire. The MTV that is replacing both of those trucks is a cabover so the driver sits on top of the front wheel. Well you run over a mine, where does that explosion go? Straight up. At least with the older fendered trucks there was a way to sandbag over the fenders for protection. On a cabover tht isn't a posiblity.

I wish the army had gained more lessons from the South African experience in Angola. They ended up developing a whole range of trucks that where armored and had undersides shaped to deflect blasts from mines.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/military/read.main/19592/
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.