Espion007
Topic Author

Je Ne Parles Pas Anglais!

Fri May 14, 2004 7:05 am

sorry if i got the french wrong-i can barley stay awake in french class!

anyway, je va voyage en avion a Nice a novembre,and the last thing i want to look like is a tourist. what can i do/wear to look the least like an american tourist as possible in france?
Snakes on a Plane!

Southamerica

RE: Je Ne Parles Pas Anglais!

Fri May 14, 2004 7:13 am

Almost in the same possition.

I'm traveling to Nice in January, and I know like 50% of French. Many things are heard about non-french speakers in France, but is it true that they are struct with people who don't speak the language very well?

Expecting replies also.

SOUTHAMERICA

MYT332

Fri May 14, 2004 7:15 am

Just dont comment on how small everything is over there and how you have it bigger in the states.
One Life, Live it.

aloges

Fri May 14, 2004 7:17 am

Be a friendly American and you'll be treated as one. It's not like the French are bad hosts!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Fri May 14, 2004 7:34 am

Just act normal. The niçois are excellent hosts, really kind people, and with a good sense of humor! Plus, you'll be more likely to find english-speakers down there (I used to live in Cannes, but now I live in Lille, to the north of France).

One problem though, many of them suffer from a bad case of southern accent. Charming (I've been trying to mimmick it since I came to France), but extremely difficult to understand for the non-initiated.

Don't try not to look as a tourist, because they'll find out as soon as you say a word... If you want to blend in with the masses, just dress normal. That means no baseball caps, of course Big grin (now that was a stereotype).

Oh, and BTW, as a friendly tip... it's "Je ne parle pas l'anglais".  Big grin

Hope it helped

deltaflyertoo

Fri May 14, 2004 7:36 am

SouthAmerica:

They prefer that you speak French but from what I've noticed, when forced to switch over to English, they ALL speak it ten times better than most Americans. Its insane...

Fri May 14, 2004 7:42 am

Sorry Southamerica, didn't see your post. Yes, in the past they were somewhat rude on people not speaking French, but that was ages ago. OK, there might still be some "irréductibles" but, what the hell, idiots are born in all countries.

My overall feeling is that most French people are uncomfortable with speaking in another language, particularly in English, because it's a somewhat "alien" language, it is not a latin tongue as Italian, for example. Hence what Delta pointed out, they will prefer you to speak in French, but if they have to resort to English, they will with absolutely no problems.

Don't worry, in the worst case you will always find a French english-speaker somewhere to help you out.

keno

Fri May 14, 2004 8:13 am

Hi there,
Allow me to correct your french :
Je vais voyager à Nice en avion en novembre.

... and allow me to correct your english too :  Smile
barley? I think you mean barely.

Luv767s

Fri May 14, 2004 8:23 am

I've gone to Nice for the past 2 summers and I know a few French phrases. Only twice I've had to use them, at a train station, and a restaurant. I love Nice and everyone there is so gracious. Someone around will speak English even if they don't want to. We had several meals in Nice where the waiter spoke no English and we did just fine. They are used to tourists there and they have menus in several languages.

I would say NOT to wear any American sports things. And do bring a French dictionary in case you need to read signs etc.

BTW: the French do wear jeans.
-"...never have I been a blue calm sea, I have always been a storm"

Espion007
Topic Author

Fri May 14, 2004 8:34 am

thats for the tip,but i heard a bit about shoes somewhere.I Mother told me in paris no one wore sneakers.

PS:thanks for everyone who corrected me,i have exams coming up.
Snakes on a Plane!

Zweed

Fri May 14, 2004 8:47 am

No matter what americans do. they DO look like tourists when they come to europe

Qb001

Fri May 14, 2004 9:59 am

Allow me to correct your french :
Je vais voyager à Nice en avion en novembre.

Hmmmm, not bad, but stylistically questionable. Should be something like
Je vais voyager par avion jusqu'à Nice en novembre.

Picky, but that's what French is, picky.

BTW, it's not "parles" but "parle".
Never let the facts get in the way of a good theory.

flpuck6

Fri May 14, 2004 12:39 pm

People in France do wear sneakers ... but in fashionable ways, if that makes sense ... and it's mostly the younger generations who do.

One thing the French do not wear much of are sandals/flip-flops like Americans do! As a general rule, try to dress neatly.

Just be discreet ... avoid talking with a loud voice ... Americans are usually much louder than the French.

The list can go on ...
Bonjour Chef!

Arcano

Fri May 14, 2004 1:37 pm

Hi

I've been in Paris. Before to get there, I had your same fear: French hate English (language).
Let me tell you, I can express myself in a reasonable clear French, but I had many troubles trying to get their answer.
French and Parisians were very friendly; when they got my face of "what!?!?!?" they asked me is I spoke English, and they made the effort to speak English (or even Spanish).
As already said, just be nice and, I don't know exactly why, but I also recommend to avoid tshirts of "I love LA" or "Knicks". I got the best impression of France and its people. I only remember 1 bad French that cared nothing about my language in a train station.

Saludos )( Arcano
in order: 721,146,732,763,722,343,733,320,772,319,752,321,88,83,744,332,100,738, 333, 318, 77W, 78, 773, 380, 73G, 788, 789, 346

LH423

Fri May 14, 2004 1:48 pm

The French don't wear sneakers?!?! WHAT?!?! Too bad no one told much of the French youth that. You most certainly can wear sneakers, however, if you do and you don't want to look American, don't tie them. Tuck your shoe laces inside your sneakers.

And if you want to say "anglais" instead of "français", you might want to try "je ne parle qu'anglais" or "je parle seulement anglais". At least that way...people will know you can't speak French  Big thumbs up

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

sebolino

Fri May 14, 2004 5:01 pm

If you don't want to be seen as a tourist, just don't wear a cap or T-shirt with an American flag or the name of a US university.

Now, if you do it, there will be no problem anyway.

As long as you don't wear Tennis shoes with a suit ...  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

sebolino

Fri May 14, 2004 5:15 pm

Hmmmm, not bad, but stylistically questionable. Should be something like
Je vais voyager par avion jusqu'à Nice en novembre.

Actually, that would be a little old fashioned.

A more realistic way:

"Je vais a Nice en avion en Novembre" or "Je prends l'avion pour Nice en Novembre" or "En novembre, je vais aller a Nice en avion".

To what somebody would answer: "For sure you won't go there by car"  Big grin  Big grin

gkirk

Fri May 14, 2004 8:02 pm

Dont shout Sacre Bleu at everyone  Wink/being sarcastic
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

QANTASforever

Fri May 14, 2004 8:56 pm

Simply dress in a sensible manner, swiming costume is appropriate only by the pool or at the beach, if you can only hear yourself talking in a loud place then you are probably too loud, at least try to speak French - it is appreciated. If you want a fix of english, come over the border to Monaco. The Grimaldis love tex-mex so there's plenty of that.

Just be open to the culture - and maybe pretend to be Canadian.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

kilavoud

Fri May 14, 2004 10:53 pm

Hi James Bond!!

Listen at this song which surely will help your to feel OK in France.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/les-nicois-du-canton/page48.html

Do not cheat yourself, just be natural and you will be happy.

Have a nice flight.

Cheers. Kilavoud.

Espion007
Topic Author

Sat May 15, 2004 5:18 am

if you do and you don't want to look American, don't tie them. Tuck your shoe laces inside your sneakers.

Perfect,I already do that  Smile
Snakes on a Plane!

LH423

Sun May 16, 2004 12:23 am

Actually, that would be a little old fashioned.

Sebolino: Look at where Qb001 is from! Therein lies the answer to old-fashioned French!  Smile

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry