worldoftui

Where Do You Live, And Do You Like It?

Fri May 14, 2004 9:16 am

Having just got back from traveling the world for 6 months, I have returned home to Reading, England. Although it will always be home to me as I was born here and grew up here, find myself feeling suffocated with this place. Same people, same routine. Can't stand it anymore - need to leave ASAP.

I have also moved back in with the parents as I am in debt now  Sad - not easy.

Is this just because I miss traveling and has only been a week since I have got back? Does everyone have a dislike for the place they live? Has anyone else who has taken a career break found it very hard to come back "home?"

I hope that I grow out of always having the desire for somewhere new. Do you long to up and move elsewhere?

Would be interested to hear what you think.

Mark

[Edited 2004-05-14 02:17:00]

ConcordeBoy

RE: Where Do You Live, And Do You Like It?

Fri May 14, 2004 9:23 am

New Orleans, LA, USA --- absolutely LOVE it  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

aa61hvy

Fri May 14, 2004 9:26 am

Dallas, Tx... Don't like it much.

I want to go to Socal, Southern Florida, or back up to Jersey (my old home)
I would not be opposed to living in Europe either. Lets see where my job takes me.
Go big or go home

COAB767

Fri May 14, 2004 9:30 am

I live in Guam. It's ok but there's never anything to do here.
Continental Micronesia: "Fly With The Warmth Of Paradise"

diamond

Fri May 14, 2004 9:41 am

I live in a Santa Monica, CA which is a part of Los Angeles. I love it here and plan to stay for a while. Oceans, mountains, and a city that never sleeps. What more could you want?

I used to live in Dallas. The city is really nice but the people are a little backwards, being in the heart of the bible-belt.
Blank.

worldoftui

Fri May 14, 2004 9:47 am

Was amazing trip (probably why I am sick to be back home)

All over for Thailand for about 5 weeks, then Malaysia and Singapore. Christmas and New Year in Sydney, then stayed in Oz for the next 3 months, saw all of the E Coast, Sydney all the way up to Cairns, cruised the Whitsundays and Barrier Reef, Tasmania (brilliant), Ayers Rock, Alice Springs, Adelaide and Perth. Then New Zealand (the best), Hawaii (wow), then San Fran, Los Angeles, San Diego (love that place), Vegas, Denver, New Orleans, Chicago and New York.

Mark

Biggles20

Fri May 14, 2004 10:17 am

Hello All,

I spend my time between Lancaster, UK (where i'm at University), and Singapore (where my parents live). I love Singapore as the weather is such an improvement from Northern England, but i'm glad I don't live out there full time as it would get a little boring (IMHO).
As for Lancaster, I enjoy University life and most of my mates are up here, but could definitely do with more sunshine and LESS rain/wind/cold, etc. That said, at the moment, we're getting really nice weather up here and it looks set to stay that way...hopefully.

On a side note, since I've moved around most of my life fairly regularly between the UK, Singapore and Hong-Kong, I am quite looking forward to staying in one place for some time to come, perhaps London Job/money permitting!

biggles

NoUFO

Fri May 14, 2004 10:38 am

Berlin, district of Prenzlauer Berg.
For some reason, the Royal Airforce missed this spot. The favorit district among many artists, actors, students and .com-people. The vast majority of people here are 20-30 somethings.

Ping-Pong at Kolle (Kollwitz Square, Prenzlauer Berg)
I support the right to arm bears

KYIPpilot

Fri May 14, 2004 11:23 am

I live in the suburbs outside of Detroit, Michigan. I like it here for the most part. I like having all of the seasons. Many people here complain about winter and the cold and snow, but it doesn't bother me. I wish that downtown Detroit was more like Chicago (or another city like it) though. It would be neat to have more things to do downtown.
"It starts when you're always afraid; You step out of line, the man come and take you away" -Buffalo Springfield

Aaron747

Fri May 14, 2004 11:40 am

Hayward, California, suburb of Oakland and San Francisco. I love the weather (though I wish we had some storms now and again), the scenery, and the diversity. I can't stand the far left wackos who want to tell me how to live while protecting every insect within flying distance of the bay --> go to hell you all! I also can't stand the insurmountably huge number of folks in the Bay Area on both sides of the spectrum who oppose development of all kinds for no rational reasons whatsoever (oh, the environment! oh, my home values!). Bullshit artists - all of them.

I've grown up by the bay, but I'm getting tired of being here. Can't wait to start my flying career and uproot.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

JBLUA320

Fri May 14, 2004 12:01 pm

Randolph, NJ
+35 minutes from EWR
+55 minutes from NYC

I think New Jersey is America's secret... there are some parts you want to stay away from, but there are some wonderful and exciting parts as well.

But I have been here all 15 years of my life... and its time for a change. Randolph, NJ is a sick sick place. We are currently among the top places to live in the country for our school system, which is being bogged down by the fact that our school is overcrowded by roughly 40%. My history class has 35 people in it when there is usually 20, my gym class has 86 when there are usually 44.

The builders keep on building, forcing the deer and other animals on to the streets with nowhere left to go....then drivers hit them. Its bad for both in the end.

How can you feel important in a town where you cant even walk down the street because there aren't sidewalks? Randolph's town council considers this place affluent... I've learned that for the few people here that really are quite wealthy (probably 20%), money doesnt equal brains.

This place is a drag. Town center is an Acme. And our school's nickname is Heroin High.

Welcome to Randolph, NJ.... the biggest little disappointment New Jersey has to offer.

Continental

Fri May 14, 2004 12:20 pm

AA61hvy, I'm also from Jersey, by why would you want to move back to there! It's ridiculously crowded, the weather is subpar, and the only thing that's good is NYC. Might as well live in CT or NY.

rjpieces

Fri May 14, 2004 12:26 pm

I live in Brooklyn, but go to school in Manhattan. I absolutely love NYC; there is no other place like it in the world.

I go to school in Battery Park City; just a few blocks North of Ground Zero. I wouldn't trade it in for anything in the world.

Ground Zero is the bottom right hand corner.

"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

Aaron747

Fri May 14, 2004 12:30 pm

^
You are so lucky. I wish I wasn't stuck in a place that celebrates faux urbanity.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

leviticus

Fri May 14, 2004 12:34 pm

Currently I am in Andorra for some time (research) and it is probably one of the most beautiful places on earth. But in a week or so I will be heading home to my regular place of residence, I live in the southern part of Swedens capital Stockholm. I hate everything about the place except that it is extremely clean and also pretty safe, can't wait to finish my university studies so I can move to some better place. In three weeks I am heading for North America for three months, looking very much forward to that, leaving Europe for a while.

jcs17

Fri May 14, 2004 2:31 pm

Dallas, Tx.

I like it, its not a bad place to live. The people are friendly, it has a culture all its own, the women are hot, and the traffic isn't too bad. I'll probably move once I finish college to a larger city like New York, L.A., Washington D.C., or Chicago.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Leskova

Fri May 14, 2004 2:52 pm

Currently I live in Munich, although I'm moving to Frankfurt tomorrow... Munich is OK, though I never really had a chance to see too much of it - I just moved there in February... before that I lived in Clausthal-Zellerfeld, a small town (I think it has a population of around 15000) in the Harz Mountains in the northern part of Germany: liked the area, but life there could get quite boring at times...
Smile - it confuses people!

jcs17

Fri May 14, 2004 2:55 pm

AA61hvy, why could I see you moving back to Jersey? A place where men shaving their entire bodies, driving guido cars, and lifting weights all day is commonplace.

N312RC

Fri May 14, 2004 3:11 pm

I live in the United States' most racially polarized area... Metropolitan Detroit.

I live about 30 minutes from the city center (on a good day with little traffic and no road construction) in a city of 50,000 called "Novi" (named such because it was No. VI or Number 6, the sixth stop on the train from Detroit to the Michigan capital, Lansing). When we first moved here (in 1987), most of
the roads were dirt and the town was.. well.. a town. Now its one of Oakland County's most booming areas and everyone wants to live here. We have some of the greatest shopping and attractions in the Metro area. I dont mind it but like KYIPpilot said, I wish downtown Detroit was more user friendly. Currently the only reasons I set foot into the City of Detroit is to either:

A) visit the Greektown area,
B) to pass through it on my way to Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
C) pick up my birth certificate or something with the government (I'll bet you all wish you had an official City of Detroit birth certificate that says "Coleman A. Young, MAYOR" on it!)

Just south of where I live there are two smaller towns, one named Northville, the other named Plymouth. They are also upmarket "booming" housing markets like Novi (where condominiums go for 500,000), but have retained their quaintness and beautiful little downtowns. Both are an excellent spot to spend weekend afternoons, especially Plymouth's town square park area, where theres always an open air concert or art fair going on.

The affulent western suburbs of Detroit in Northwestern Wayne and Southwestern Oakland counties are my stomping grounds and I like it here. It will always be home to me.

The only thing bad about Metro Detroit is the crappy roads!!! (potholes that can bend your rims if you hit them right)
N/A

QIguy24

Fri May 14, 2004 4:42 pm

At the moment I live in Basle, Switzerland.
I have been living here for 6 months now. And I must say that I rally love thos country. Even though many of the people here are pretty strange and some really caan't stand foreigners. Even if you are from Europe like I am they don't like you.
But It's a really nice country and I love the landscape.  Big thumbs up

wietse

Fri May 14, 2004 5:19 pm

I live in Amstelveen, but I go to school in Amsterdam.

This is my university building, about 400 meters from the Dam square.

Dam square

Zuiderkerk, a church next to my school

And I love it. It is a great city with lots of culture, great people, whatever you are in to, we've got it. I could see me living here in the future. Or Italy.

Wietse de Graaf

nonrevman

Fri May 14, 2004 6:01 pm

I live in Ft Worth and mainly tolerate it because I can fly to a lot of places from here. There is not really much to do in the area itself, so if my job were to go away, I would have to move somewhere else if the size of my world suddenly became that of the DFW area.

MSYtristar

Fri May 14, 2004 9:54 pm

I live in New Orleans,LA. It certainly isn't a place for everyone, but something about it captvates me. Most people generally say that it is a great place to visit, but not to live, but I couldn't imagine living anywhere else at this point in my life. It has everything that larger cities offer all with a more "carefree" attitude. If you visit the city you'll see what I mean. The great mistake many people make when visiting New Orleans is that they just spend all of their time in the French Quarter, when in actuality the city has a lot to offer in its numerous diverse neighborhoods. In any case, it's a unique place to call home. The people are friendly, the food is outstanding, there's always something to do, and the weather, for the most part, is bearable.

Steve/MSY

learpilot

Fri May 14, 2004 9:59 pm

Birmingham, AL. Absolutely HATE it. Not a good place for a heethan like myself, with all of the American Taliban...I mean the Southern Baptists.

Hopefully I'll get a job back home in St. Louis sometime in my lifetime.
Heed our warnings or your future will be underpant free!

Lan_Fanatic

Fri May 14, 2004 10:08 pm

I have lived all my life here, in Santiago de Chile. I like it very much, although the city has some identity problems. It does not get decided if it wants to look like Miami/LA or Europe, and I hate that.
Also, due to the geographical location, in the middle of a basin, and lack of winds in winter, Santiago gets quite polluted by smog. We have some issues with public transportation that soon will be solved. And the weather isn't very nice, as it doesn't rain too much, but temperatures are very steady.
But the good points are great nightlife, the worry of authorities to improve the city, the fact that beaches are 1 1/2 hours away and ski centres are 2 hours away. And I don't know, it's my home, therefore I love it.

Greg

Fri May 14, 2004 10:49 pm

Houston...right in the city--just west of downtown.
Love it.
The right size..and the right place to live very well.

Folks are in L.A...and I travel a lot to GB and SIN...so Texas is a great place to come home to.....

MYT332

Fri May 14, 2004 10:56 pm

Live near Chorley, Lancashire and it sucks....I wanna go, have done for ages but do i have the balls to do it, who knows? I hope i do one day.
One Life, Live it.

Pendrilsaint

Fri May 14, 2004 11:04 pm

Lear Pilot, I'm Holding my comments back on the American Taliban remark for the non-flaming nature of this thread thus far. =)

As for me, until tomorrow I live in Morningside Heights, in NYC. Eh, New York for me is just so-so. The best parts are that there's an endless stream of things to do in the city, and there are always stores open when you can't sleep at 3a.m. Unfortunately, that will be quite often with all the sirens and annoying traffic on the avenues. The subway is also very very VERY nasty, but you can get anywhere in the city. (But it is also expensive at $2 a pop, I know I know, its like $2.50 in London and Tokyo). I return to my home of Asheville, NC tomorrow, and I must say that I am very excited. New Yorks people are so rude and self-centred that it is sad. I've witnessed people fall on the streets and people walk around them. Saw a woman fall down stairs and not a person moved to help her. Waitresses regularly get blasted for minor mistakes. Also! Salespeople in New York are the rudest in the world, hands down. They act as if it's a huge difficulty to do anything for you (almost like it was their job or something!). Finally, Bloomberg has started to clean up the city, but for now it is disgustingly dirty and needs some work to fix up neighborhoods. So, for me, New York is not all it's cracked up to be...but Asheville, with its mountains, art deco downtown, art culture, and Southern culture (at least the American Taliban is friendly!) will always be home.

aa61hvy

Fri May 14, 2004 11:07 pm

Hey fatboy I mean JCS.. I think CiCi's just opened this morning, shouldn't you be there?
Go big or go home

jcs17

Fri May 14, 2004 11:28 pm

Hey, AA61hvy, originality called and unfortunately it said that it won't be any of your posts for a few weeks.

KLM777

Sat May 15, 2004 12:17 am

I live in a studenthouse in Delft, between Rotterdam and The Hague. It's a very old city, lots of tourist go here but I don't find it that exciting. Nightlife is very basic with just some bars, therefore I go out in Rotterdam most of the times.

Here's an overview of the center of Delft, with the cathedral where members of the Dutch royal family are interred.

Delft is known by most foreigners for it's pottery, painted in 'Delfts blue':

sucks even more...

I study in Rotterdam now, the second largest city of The Netherlands. It's a very modern city because there was not much left of it after WW2. I cannot see myself living there in the future, it's way too large and crowded for me.

Kind regards,

Jeroen
Every landing is a controlled crash

goingboeing

Sat May 15, 2004 12:45 am

Overland Park, Kansas (suburb of Kansas City, MO). Like it very much.

JUANR

Sat May 15, 2004 12:59 am

I live in Bogotá, Colombia, high altittude above sea level (8300ft) so it is not too hot, we have almost the same weather all the year with the highest temperatue by 22ºC and the lowest by 7ºC all the year. The mountains are great but I would like to stop watching that every year a lot of people from all over the country come to the city, now there are not as many "Bogotanos" as before, and most of the people who are not from here keep saying that their place is better to live in (and still they keep coming) We are a 8M people city, I wish some of them would leave. But I love my city.

Juan
A very proud citizen of BOG
SKBO
Bogotá: 2600 Metros Más Cerca De Las Estrellas; Vamos por los XVII Juegos Nacionales!!!!!!!!!

seb146

Sat May 15, 2004 3:31 am

I have lived all over the Pacific Northwest. I currently live in Portland. I don't think I could live in any other former 'home towns' just because they are too small. When I came back from San Diego, we drove through Medford. It looked as depressing as it did when I lived there for two years. I visit my mom in that little back-water and the best thing I can say about that is: It has fruit. My only regret is not staying in Seattle, but that could still happen.

Although, I will have to listen to '....but you hate Seattle....'

For the record, I was in San Diego only for three days, but it felt so right. I miss it.

*sigh*

GO CANUCKS!!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

worldoftui

Sat May 15, 2004 3:34 am

For the record, I was in San Diego only for three days, but it felt so right. I miss it.

I know just what you mean. Just seemed like a great place to live.

Need a visa. Will have to go out to the US and get pregnant. Ooops, can't do that. Damn.

Mark

CactusA319

Sat May 15, 2004 3:50 am

I live in a suburb west of Chicago, but have lived in the city on and off for 14 years. Gotta say I love it here altough the winters are a bit too long and the traffic has gotten to be quite horrendous. Still there aren't too many other places I'd rather be.

PJS800

Sat May 15, 2004 4:01 am

I live in Point Pleasant Beach, NJ I think it is a nice town but too small and quiet. The best thing about it is that it's on the ocean so you can go to the beach in the summer. Many people from NYC and northern NJ come here for vacation in the summer. Another good thing is we are only an hour away from NYC and Philadelphia.

PJ Smile

VSlover

Sat May 15, 2004 4:29 am

i just am in love with new york! moved here two years ago, and cant imagine leaving! i took a break and moved home to colorado for a few months, and while very lovely being at home, i was bored to tears. luckily i had the ability to just pick up and move right back into this wonderful city--i cant imagine a better place for a 23yo guy.

this is the view from my office taken right now (friday afternoon) yeah working in times square has its drawbacks, but from up here, its just cool.

mikesairways

Sat May 15, 2004 4:44 am

San Jose...there's no real way to describe it really. It's just here. I've been here all my life.
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

worldoftui

Sat May 15, 2004 5:33 am

VSLover

You lucky b*stard! NEW YORK BABY YEAH!  Wow!

Mark

SXFAN

Sat May 15, 2004 5:57 am

I currently live in Barking which is a borough of greater London.This place shucks. Thank god I am not from here and I am leaving next year to go back to Athens (the place where I live and love).

Espion007

Sat May 15, 2004 6:29 am

I love Potomac,MD.1 hour drive from skiing,3 hour drive to ocean city,and not too far from atlantic city.

Youve got IAD(udvar-hazy!),BWI,and DCA

10 miles from DC

The cicadas are here too (not all great,but cool)

and about 200m from a mini mall.

Oh,and were a pretty rich place.no rednecks or trailer parks here.
Snakes on a Plane!

rjpieces

Sun May 16, 2004 5:19 am

New Yorks people are so rude and self-centred that it is sad.

Awwww, if you can't handle the New York attitude, there is always North Carolina!

So, for me, New York is not all it's cracked up to be...but Asheville, with its mountains, art deco downtown, art culture, and Southern culture (at least the American Taliban is friendly!) will always be home.

It's ok. Not everyone can handle the fastest paced place in the world..........
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

Sun May 16, 2004 5:37 am

I live in the "Bold New City of the South"...... Jacksonville, Florida.

Leezyjet

Sun May 16, 2004 7:43 am

I live in Slough (where The Office was set), Berkshire. It's about 20 miles from Central London and it's a complete shyte hole, but at the time I moved here it was one of the only reasonably (but still bloody expensive then) affordable places to live near to LHR.

I'm from Leeds, West Yorkshire originally which is much better and cheaper and has loads more to do and a lot less traffic and I can be out in the middle of the countryside in about 10 mins from my folks place, or in the middle of the city centre !!!.

I'd love to move to Australia but they are so damn strict on who they will let in that I don't really have a chance unless I manages to get my ATPL in the next few years or meet and marry an Ozzy chick !!. I'd sell body parts on Ebay if I could go live out there  Laugh out loud

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

worldoftui

Sun May 16, 2004 7:54 am

You're in Slough? I'm in Reading. Now I am sure you would agree what a great place Berkshire is to live  Big grin

Agree with what you think about Slough (Reading not too much better), but you at least have a very famous resident in David Brent, and 2 famous, although quite different neighbours - The Queen (Windsor) and Ali G (Staines)

Smile

Mark

SWA TPA

Sun May 16, 2004 8:05 am

Tampa FL.

Lived here all my 31 years except for a brief 2 year stint in DFW.

I love my home city  Smile
I often dream of moving to Chicago as my husband and I LOVE it there. However when it comes down to it I cant imagine leaving Tampa for good.

There isnt alot to do here. Bookstore, beach. But hey, its home  Big thumbs up

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

Leezyjet

Sun May 16, 2004 8:09 am

Yeah, Berkshire is GR8.......Not.

Depending on who's asking where I live, I sometimes say North Windsor, as so many people turn their noses up when you say Slough - best thing they could do for this place is change the name I think.

The Crooked Billet in Iver Heath is about 2 miles from me, where Ali G first "Ughummed" his Julie behind the bins round the back !!!  Laugh out loud

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

worldoftui

Sun May 16, 2004 8:17 am

The Crooked Billet in Iver Heath is about 2 miles from me, where Ali G first "Ughummed" his Julie behind the bins round the back !!!

But have you been to the place where his Julie conceived? I hear he had decided to follow in the footsteps of the Beckhams and name his child after the place it was conceived....

Kentucky Fried Chicken Langley  Smile

Mark

Qantasclub

Sun May 16, 2004 9:21 am

Surprised there are no Aussies here yet.
I live in Melbourne, Australia which is Australia's second largest city with 3 million people. We used to live in Singapore but couldnt stand the rat-race, humidity and the idiotic government, amongst many other things. Melbourne is a great place to live, it has great weather, beautiful spaces, amazing restaurants of every kind, shops and a relaxed sophistication about it. I live just 5 mins west of downtown in a suburb called kensington-has a village-like feel to it but is still close to the city, where I work, in a cancer hospital called Peter Mac.
We tend to get overshadowed by our more glamourous neighbour, Sydney (who is also beautiful) but Melbourne is alot more liveable.

Cheers,

Qantasclub
Long Haul is the only way to go