airmale

Spain Refused US To Go Offensive

Fri May 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Leader of the Spanish contingent in Iraq said he refused US orders to use his troops to launch as offensive against and capture Muqtada Al Sadr in April, he said Spanish troops were not there to go on the offensive but to help in other ways, he also stated that "his forces were like speechless, observers confused as to why they are here and what this war was all about".

Seems like a last ditch effort to involve Spain fully in their dirty plans as they quit the coalition next month, Muqtada already orderd his people not to harm them.

[Edited 2004-05-14 15:30:15]
.....up there with the best!

L-188

RE: Spanish Troops Refused US To Go Offensive

Fri May 14, 2004 10:29 pm

OK.

More proof that the US needs to have enough military strength to conduct operations on it's own.

Cutting the Army down to 10 divisions was way too large of a cut in the 1990's.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

RE: Spain Refused US To Go Offensive

Fri May 14, 2004 10:33 pm

L-188:

I read some time ago (can't remember where, but I think it was Time or Newsweek), that some pentagon planners felt that the need was not to add divisions, but rather to add Brigades, better deployable and more efficient. Could someone confirm that for me?

L-188

Fri May 14, 2004 10:38 pm

There is a push to convert divsions into smaller brigades.

Personally I think doing that is more of a shell game then anything else. Pretty much like when they decided to give each division and additional manuver brigade in their structure. To form the new brigades, they stole battalions out of the other already exisitng brigades, which caused a net increase of zero troops for the division.

But Rumsfeld is a big proponent of replacing manpower with technology. It is also one of the reasons why Clinton was able to get support to cut the army down to 10 divisions, when GH only was going to cut back to 14 after the cold war standard 19 divisions.

I think the past month in Iraq has shown that while technology is a useful tool, and a powerful force multiplier, it is simply no subsitute for manpower.

Klaus

L-188

Fri May 14, 2004 11:14 pm

The manpower needed obviously depends on the kinds of operations you´re attempting. An illegal invasion will always require much larger contingents than a peacekeeping effort with local popular support.

Rumsfeld didn´t get the reason for the invasion right and on top of that he underestimated what it would take after that. Pathetic.

vanessa

Sat May 15, 2004 2:45 am

"Chapeau Bas" Espagna.

Peace.

L-188

Sat May 15, 2004 8:11 am

Actually Klaus, The invasion went quite well.

It is the post-war environment that has proven to be the manpower sink.

We can debate if this action was actually "illegal" in a different thread.