Moolies
Topic Author

What Can No Sleep And Lots Of Coffee Really Do?

Tue May 18, 2004 12:50 am

Hi all, im sitting here with eyes like road maps. Exams start at university in like 2-3 weeks. I have a 2000 word sociology essay due for tomorrow. I have a 1500 word history essay due for Friday. I need to do two economics assignments for tomorrow. Write an geography essay for next week Friday, 2000 words. Have over 700 pages of readings to complete by Friday. Have an economic essay for next week Wednesday also 2000 words. Also this weekend from Friday midday to Sunday night I have a geography field trip.

So far I have had 4 hours of sleep since waking up on Sunday morning. I am kinda tired and IM feeling sick and fluey.

So life is going so so "well" at the moment. Plus I have to baby-sit and attend tutorials and think of a way in order to explain why I missed a sociology test (I was busy flying a C172) but they wont like that excuse, so I can write my sociology exam. I need a doctors letter saying I was sick is basically all that will work.

Any suggestions on things that might help?

aa61hvy

RE: What Can No Sleep And Lots Of Coffee Really Do?

Tue May 18, 2004 12:51 am

I know you can eventually have hallucinations.
Go big or go home

Moolies
Topic Author

Tue May 18, 2004 12:54 am

do you have experience?

aa61hvy

Tue May 18, 2004 12:55 am

Not personally, but my father told me a story of when he tried a similar experience.
Go big or go home

goboeing

Sounds like you're totally screwed from that opening paragraph.

I do know that my roomate last year experienced heart palpitations for 3 hours during the night after drinking 48 ounces of coffee; he could not sleep until 7AM and it destroyed his schedule! I'd lay off of the coffee as much as possible and maybe resort to a healthier energy booster (fruit or sleep?).

Nick

rabenschlag

it will temporarily cost you some IQ-points. memory is also disturbed without proper nightsleep. even worse, lots of caffeine will distort your sleep profile during the few hours of sleep you get.

i once read a study showing that one night without sleep leads to cognitive deficits as worse as 0.8 promille blood alcohol.

Moolies
Topic Author

Tue May 18, 2004 12:59 am

oh well sleep isnt an option. my body clock is already screwd so that doesnt matter. oh well i will keep you guys posted on how i go and if i dont post for a while know that i have a. died or b.passed out.

aa61hvy

Tue May 18, 2004 1:02 am

Here is a thought, stop posting on Anet and do the damn papers!!
Go big or go home

Klaus

Tue May 18, 2004 1:06 am

Getting enough sleep can be more important than staying up and ramming more information into your brain...

Generally, though:

- Stay away from coffee; Drink tea instead. Green tea is again better than black tea to stay concentrated without getting too nervous.

- Don´t forget to eat enough! Low blood sugar is extremely bad for concentration, and it´s quite easy to "overlook" being hungry when you´re under stress.

- At least for me, good music helps.

- Stay away from airliners.net!!!  Wink/being sarcastic

Anyway... good luck, and try to relax.

Klaus

Moolies

Tue May 18, 2004 1:13 am

Moolies: oh well sleep isnt an option. my body clock is already screwd so that doesnt matter.

That is absolutely and definitely false.

I´ve pulled many, many "all-nighters" under all kinds of circumstances and believe me, sleep is and always stays important and cannot be replaced with anything else! You can only "stretch" time to an extent; But you´ll definitely pay for it afterwards.

Chronic sleep deprivation can even cause serious health problems, so please be careful!

azo

Tue May 18, 2004 1:55 am

My sleep schedule generally keeps me up by 8 or 9 if I do not have to wake up earlier, so when I have to work overnight shifts it can get kind of hairy. However I have not had any lasting effects from getting up somewhat early then staying up all night, and working no less so not just having fun or relaxing or anything. After working an overnight, I usually go home and sleep a bit and then just go to bed at my normal time at night and that puts me back into my usual pattern.

If you think you can handle it, staying up all night is not necessarily that bad. However as mentioned above, do not do it often unless you plan on changing your body schedule altogether.

Also DO NOT try and drive after staying up that long. It can be as bad as driving drunk, if not more dangerous.
Kalamazoozoozoozoozoozoozoo

NoUFO

RE: What Can No Sleep And Lots Of Coffee Really Do

Tue May 18, 2004 2:16 am

Take Klaus serious, he is absolutely right.
Worst thing I personally witnessed after staying awake (way) too long were halucinations. I do not plan to bringing myself into a similar situation again. It's not very professional, nor healthy.
I support the right to arm bears

Moolies
Topic Author

Tue May 18, 2004 5:31 am

Im still here and alive and kicking.

aloges

Tue May 18, 2004 5:55 am

Moolies, get the hell away from airliners.net.

Had I not been away from home before my final exams at school, I would have ended up in front of my computer instead of learning. As a result, I would not have known squat in those exams.

Don't let that happen to you.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Tue May 18, 2004 6:00 am

A little bit of advance planning, proper time budgeting, and enough self-motivation to not procrastinate on everything may be the solution to your problems.

777236ER

Tue May 18, 2004 6:08 am

If you'd done the work when it was set, you'd be fine.
Your bone's got a little machine

N6376M

Tue May 18, 2004 7:00 am

Suggestions --- stop fu_king around on a.net and get to work!

lehpron

Tue May 18, 2004 7:06 am

>> "Chronic sleep deprivation can even cause serious health problems, so please be careful!" <<

Too late. 4 hours everyday, why, cuz i cant help it most of the time. Even today I went 37 hours withotu speel, mainly cuz I could hear roaches crawling evrywhere (I have hyper-sensitive hearing) and now iam yaowning like mad an i have a class in half an our. and I have to bike hiome and i'm all sleppy ans hit.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

Klaus

Lehpron

Tue May 18, 2004 7:26 am

Lehpron: Too late. 4 hours everyday, why, cuz i cant help it most of the time. Even today I went 37 hours withotu speel, mainly cuz I could hear roaches crawling evrywhere (I have hyper-sensitive hearing) and now iam yaowning like mad an i have a class in half an our. and I have to bike hiome and i'm all sleppy ans hit.

Sounds pretty bad. Not a good idea to get into traffic in that state. It´s one of the "best" ways to get yourself killed.  Sad

I´d look for medical assistance if you can´t get to sleep regularly...

IMissPiedmont

Tue May 18, 2004 1:34 pm

It seems that a few people on board do not know what temporary psychosis is. It's not such a big deal really as the most likely outcome is that you'll turn in a paper full of gibberish and fail every final. But hell, McDonalds is always hiring.

You will be able to do more work in 3 hours after a good sleep than you'll ever dream (hint) of doing staying up all night.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

keno

Tue May 18, 2004 2:21 pm

I think the worst that could happen is that you severe lack of sleep would finally takes it toll during your exam week. You might get sick then. God forbid !!! While there's still time, you better come up with something.

fritzi

Tue May 18, 2004 4:39 pm

Me thinks he fell asleep!

zak

Tue May 18, 2004 4:54 pm

" It's not such a big deal really as the most likely outcome is that you'll turn in a paper full of gibberish and fail every final. But hell, McDonalds is always hiring."

as 777236ER said, if he had done the work when he was supposed to do it, he wouldnt have to worry as much. when you fail to organize your schedule properly, the point of the whole selection process of the college he attends might be to ensure that such people do end up at mickey d's.
10=2

planespotterx

Tue May 18, 2004 10:42 pm

Lephron, u ever heard of things called sleeping pills, they send you to sleep lol, you can get herbal ones too if you dont want to have the drug ones, i should know I worked at a pharmacy for 2 years, and seriously, not having any sleep for any time over 20hrs can really screw things up with your brain and body, try sleeping for 2hrs at a time (if you dont want to sleep for 8 hrs on end), I find this often works when im busy.
Its not the fall that kills u, its the sudden stop at the end..

Moolies
Topic Author

Wed May 19, 2004 4:53 am

Well I party hard and then cram for a week, why me the insolant fool. I have had 7 hours of sleep since sunday morning. Tonight is gonna be another wanker night and tomorrow is a good friends birthday and they wont let me leave till like 1-3am. So see me thursday morning. DEATH.

Klaus

Moolies

Wed May 19, 2004 4:58 am

YOUR NUMBER IS NOT UP YET. GET ENOUGH SLEEP!

signed, DEATH

Moolies
Topic Author

Wed May 19, 2004 6:29 am

I have decided to write off my sociology essay which is already 48 hours late and 10% down. I will go and sleep, rise early. read the course pack, do the essay in rough and then hand it in thursday before 12 and loose 15%. Wonderful hey.

Espion007

Wed May 19, 2004 6:55 am

bummer.Honestly i cant imagine what your going through right now,but for now try to skip alot of events.Most of all,procrastination is like masterbation.Its a good idea at first,but in the end your just f**king yourself  Big grin

What Can No Sleep And Lots Of Coffee Really Do?

im about to find out.an hour ago i finnished drinking a venti vanilla latte and a can of redbull.Funny,redbull tasted horrible in Amsterdam but i find it good over here...
Snakes on a Plane!

Biggles20

Wed May 19, 2004 8:47 am

Hello All (yawn),

I was up for over 30 hours in a row a couple of weeks back because I had two 2000 word history essays to finish. While I would strongly suggest 4-6 hours of sleep (as mentioned by others) minimum, tea is still a better alternative than coffee.
As it was, I got the essays in on time and fell asleep like a brick - slept for about 11 hours and felt refreshed after that!

As it happens, I'm now gonna skim through my final revision notes for half an hour before getting 6 hours sleep before my exam tomorrow morning (09.30 hrs). My philosophy for cramming is its better to be dog tired and know something, than to sleep well, wake up refreshed and have nothing to write. Besides, I've passed many an exam through cramming at the 13th hour, so dont listen to anyone who says it doesnt work, because it does!!!

Wish me luck, (the exams 3 hours and is on Early-modern Europe and the Art of War)!

biggles

Moolies
Topic Author

Thu May 20, 2004 8:22 am

I slept and am fine only to be stabbed in the back. I wonder how many people out there are actually "real" and nice people. I cant stand this, i have been screwd over so many times.

Arcano

Thu May 20, 2004 1:15 pm

Hey Moolies:

I remember when I was in college one of those stressed days. I was just like you, and you know what happened?

I had a final exam at 11:00. I was at my parent's home studying, and after a pretty busy night, I woke up. When I watched the clock, I realized it was 10:55 and the alarm didn't work! Then I got dress as quick as I could, no time for shower of course, and run to the door, where I saw my mother looking at me weirdly. I told her desperately: "I fell asleep!". Then my mom look at me with all the sweetness of a mother's face and told me: "Honey, today is Sunday. Your exam is tomorrow"...

So take your time. In a couple years you'll laugh of moments like this.

Regards and good luck)( Arcano
in order: 721,146,732,763,722,343,733,320,772,319,752,321,88,83,744,332,100,738, 333, 318, 77W, 78, 773, 380, 73G, 788, 789, 346

seb146

Thu May 20, 2004 2:23 pm

I work graveyard now. I sleep like 3 hours a day. About 5AM I start hearing things. Oh, yeah. Can't wait to get out of this. I feel for you.

GO CANUCKS!!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

ZSSNC

Thu May 20, 2004 5:28 pm

Moolies,

just a couple of quick stats about your activity on a.net since starting this thread:

you have posted in five different topics and two different forums a total of 914 words.

If you had put this effort in writing your essays you might have finished one of them in the time you spent on a.net. So I would follow the many others in this thread and say stay away from a.net (as a matter of fact from the internet as such, as long as you don't need it to research for your papers).

About the sleep issue. You are still young, but if you do this all through college there might be a time in 20 or 30 years or so when you bitterly regret it. My father died of a stroke. His problem was, he worked too much, didn't get enough sleep, didn't drink enough and the wrong things (coffee only dehydrates your body, just like tea and should be avoided under any circumstances. Pure water is the way to go). So, as I said, your lifestyle won't affect you much now. You'll get over it. But in the future it might all come back to you.

Try to discipline yourself. Do it for you.

ZSSNC
Airbus A340-600 - the longest temptation in the sky

lehpron

Thu May 20, 2004 5:52 pm

No way I'm talking pills of any strength, since I've been diagnosed with Bi-Polar as well as being depressed, the last thing I'm gonna do is give my other half an unecessary opportunity!

I don't wanna hijack Moolies thread, but my sleep issue is really getting in the way of my life, been late to class so much, I usually need 13-15 hours of sleep, I donno how, I guess it's backed up fom all the time I don't sleep. I hate it, I hope it ends. I don't mean it like that...
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.