jcs17

US Athletes Told To Cool It At Olympics

Tue May 18, 2004 7:08 am

U.S. athletes told to cool it at Olympics
By Simon Hart
LONDON SUNDAY TELEGRAPH
http://washingtontimes.com/national/20040516-121028-9603r.htm

Who cares. I hope that we are humble in our victories and proudly wave our flag. At the same time if the crowd starts booing them, I hope US athletes just rub in the face of the crowd even more. Its funny how Americans are called "classless" and yet you will never find an Olympic crowd in the US boo a foreign competitor--no matter what country or dictatorship they hail from. I'm sure the crowds at Athens will boo Americans, I have no doubt in that, I just hope that the US athletes are proud enough to be Americans to stand tall and not back down from celebrating their accomplishments.

America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

777236ER

RE: US Athletes Told To Cool It At Olympics

Tue May 18, 2004 7:10 am

The fact that waving a US flag in a foreign country could provoke "crowd hostility" doesn't somehow hint to you that your foreign policy isn't that great...?
Your bone's got a little machine

JAL777

Tue May 18, 2004 7:13 am

The fact that waving a US flag at a international non-partisan non-political sporting event could provoke "crowd hostility" doesn't somehow hint to you that some people will find a reason to bitch and complain about everything?

777236ER

Tue May 18, 2004 7:16 am

The fact that waving a US flag at a international non-partisan non-political sporting event could provoke "crowd hostility" doesn't somehow hint to you that some people will find a reason to bitch and complain about everything?

Well...no. Considering this is a recent phenomenon...

JAL777

Tue May 18, 2004 7:19 am

What does a country's foreign policy have to do with an athletes times in running the 100 meter hurdles?

jcs17

Tue May 18, 2004 7:19 am

The fact that waving a US flag in a foreign country could provoke "crowd hostility" doesn't somehow hint to you that your foreign policy isn't that great...?

No, it actually tells me that most of the world might be jealous of America and simply hate us because of our position in the world. Don't fool yourself, people hated America before we liberated Iraq, Iraq is just a convenient excuse for non-Americans to act like heathens and act upon their long-standing dislike of America.

777236ER

Tue May 18, 2004 7:22 am

What does a country's foreign policy have to do with an athletes times in running the 100 meter hurdles?

Nothing at all. Hence when people get booed for doing it, you must be doing SOMETHING wrong.

No, it actually tells me that most of the world might be jealous of America and simply hate us because of our position in the world

Based on what? This is a MODERN PHENOMENON genius. Which means something must have happened recently. Jealously would be long-standing, no? Now what else has happened recently...?

non-Americans to act like heathens and act upon their long-standing dislike of America.

Heathens?!

hea·then ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hthn)
n. pl. hea·thens or heathen

One who adheres to the religion of a people or nation that does not acknowledge the God of Judaism, Christianity, or Islam.
Such persons considered as a group; the unconverted.

One who is regarded as irreligious, uncivilized, or unenlightened.
Such persons considered as a group.

Sure you meant 'heathens'...?

What evidence do you have that there is long-standing dislike of America, at least here in Europe?

If you are hated, you are hated because of your foreign policies - not because people are jealous.

[Edited 2004-05-18 00:30:03]

WellHung

Tue May 18, 2004 7:23 am

Jeez... I hate to think about the foreign policies of all those countries whose fans get into soccer brawls.

JAL777

Tue May 18, 2004 7:25 am

Nothing at all. Hence when people get booed for doing it, you must be doing SOMETHING wrong.

So let me get this straight... you condone booing and dissing an individual for the actions of their home country's government?

777236ER

Tue May 18, 2004 7:27 am

So let me get this straight... you condone booing and dissing an individual for the actions of their home country's government?

Nope, not at all. I personally think sporting events should be completly free of all politics.

Unfortunatly that's not the case. The US is disliked around the entire world - not because people are jealous - but because people don't like the US's foreign policy. If protesting at sporting events makes an impact, so be it.

JAL777

Tue May 18, 2004 7:29 am

If protesting at sporting events makes an impact, so be it.

OK... I will protest as Muslim mosques from now on. Those damn Muslims are all baby-killing suicide bombers.  Insane

777236ER

Tue May 18, 2004 7:30 am

Go on then. I'm not stopping you...

I'm all for the freedom to protest.

aloges

Tue May 18, 2004 7:31 am

Let them wave their flag all they want, that's what every winner from every country can do.

"I'm sure the crowds at Athens will boo Americans, I have no doubt in that"

And why? Because you're paranoid?

"No, it actually tells me that most of the world might be jealous of America and simply hate us because of our position in the world. Don't fool yourself, people hated America before we liberated Iraq, Iraq is just a convenient excuse for non-Americans to act like heathens and act upon their long-standing dislike of America."

Factually wrong. The US received lots of support after 9/11, it's just that your current administration managed to transform that into mistrust and anger against its own actions. I do have a favourable overall opinion of the United States of America, it's just the fact that its foreign policy is one big mess that I dread.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

jcs17

Tue May 18, 2004 7:33 am

If protesting at sporting events makes an impact, so be it.?

No, it won't make an impact, other than giving Americans the impression that Europeans are classless, whiney, anti-American lunatics. It just gives you guys a bad name. Go protest in front of an American embassy, do it in the main streets of your favorite city, but don't make yourselves look worse than you already do by booing athletes.

mrniji

Tue May 18, 2004 7:33 am

No, it actually tells me that most of the world might be jealous of America and simply hate us because of our position in the world. Don't fool yourself, people hated America before we liberated Iraq, Iraq is just a convenient excuse for non-Americans to act like heathens and act upon their long-standing dislike of America.

:D  Big grin  Big grin

Quote of the week!

:D  Big grin D:

Espacially the part of being jealous of America! Big grin Yes, I am jealous that you have more McDonalds than we! And espacially that you "produce the best Americans in the world" (quote by George Bush).  Big grin

[Edited 2004-05-18 00:35:12]
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

Klaus

Tue May 18, 2004 7:35 am

The base level of hostility and resentment has been pushed to unprecedented heights by the conduct of the Bush administration; Bush is "in everybody´s face" all the time anyway.

It´s certainly unfair, but the american athletes currently just don´t have as much leeway as the others who nobody has a serious beef with (or as the americans had before Bush´s Iraq adventure). It´s not a justification, just an indication of how pissed most of the world is at this time.

With a new administration and a new attitude towards foreign policy things will normalize pretty quickly again.

jcs17

Tue May 18, 2004 7:36 am

Take this into consideration real fast. If it wasn't for the forefathers of those evil American and British athletes liberating European countries during WWII, most of Europe could all be marching into the stadium in Athens under one flag.

aloges

Tue May 18, 2004 7:37 am

I guess it must have been the unlucky number... reply 13! Would you please just cool it yourself? The one who's giving the impression of being "classless, whiney, lunatic" is right here among us.

Edit: And what the bloody hell does WW2 have to do with it? Seems like every time you're not convincing anyone (which seems to be quite often), you dig up WW2 to justify your opinion that everyone has to kiss Bush's arse. I don't even dare to think what would have happened had Bush been President in Roosevelt's place.

[Edited 2004-05-18 00:41:16]

777236ER

Tue May 18, 2004 7:37 am

No, it won't make an impact, other than giving Americans the impression that Europeans are classless, whiney, anti-American lunatics

Really? I'd like to think that some Americans at least are capable of understanding when they've made a mistake.

It just gives you guys a bad name

Just like pre-emptive war, based on lies or grossly incorrect intelligence gives your - and unfortunately my - country a bad name.

but don't make yourselves look worse than you already do by booing athletes.

Pointless name-calling now Jcs...

Are you ever going to reply to my other thread? When am I ever against the American populace?

jcs17

Tue May 18, 2004 7:39 am

Boo, Klaus, do your Euro-style catcalls when an American wins a gold medal. Next time you have a question as to why Americans aren't too fond of Europeans, you can think of that time that you just had to boo a guy who won a race because of "political" reasons. Europe will just make itself look stupid and give themselves a bad name.

JAL777

Tue May 18, 2004 7:39 am

Really? I'd like to think that some Americans at least are capable of understanding when they've made a mistake.

I'd also like to think that some people are at least capable of understanding that athletes don't determine foreign policy.

777236ER

Tue May 18, 2004 7:41 am

I'd also like to think that some people are at least capable of understanding that athletes don't determine foreign policy.

The idea (obviously, for crying out loud) is to protest the nation - not the athlete. Isn't the athlete a representative of the nation?

Next time you have a question as to why Americans aren't too fond of Europeans, you can think of that time that you just had to boo a guy who won a race because of "political" reasons

Please note this actually hasn't happened yet...

Are you ever going to answer any of my questions?

aloges

Tue May 18, 2004 7:45 am

And what is this "Europe is going to do this, Europe is going to do that" crap all about? Since when does Europe equal a few booers at the Olympic Games? How on earth does a sporting event show all the attitudes of several hundreds of millions of people?

Staffan

Tue May 18, 2004 7:45 am

"Take this into consideration real fast. If it wasn't for the forefathers of those evil American and British athletes liberating European countries during WWII, most of Europe could all be marching into the stadium in Athens under one flag."

And the American's and Brits would probably also be joining us under that flag.

Staffan

mrniji

Tue May 18, 2004 7:46 am

I'd also like to think that some people are at least capable of understanding that athletes don't determine foreign policy

I think we can agree on that. When I was an American athlet, I would participate for the states but deny to march under the banner, and in case I win a medal deny to go on the podest and give a disclaimer. I would not liked to be associated with the flag

Booing at the athletes would indeed be unfair, but one should consider it as booing at the flag, it gives a momentum how opposed world society is to what is happening. Athletes who know what is happening on the world would approve the booing or not even appear at the opening ceremony and rather partcipate as individuals at the game (which is officially not possible)

Just compare: OK, the athletes are booed out, which is a little unfair. But why are sanctions imposed on countries, as Iraq before the war?? Here, the people and not the Iraq regime suffered, and more than athletes while booed out.
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

Klaus

Jcs17

Tue May 18, 2004 7:46 am

Jcs17, you´re asking for everyone to absolve you from the gigantic blunder your beloved leader has committed. And this absolution is simply not to be had without correcting this mistake.

Spitting into everybody´s face will never make you popular - no matter how much you´re bitching and complaining;

And as much as I hope that the athletes and the audience will put fairness above everything else, your asinine ravings certainly don´t set the right tone for the event.  Nuts

mrniji

Tue May 18, 2004 7:50 am

Jcs17, are you really a student?? Doesn't seem like

JAL777

Tue May 18, 2004 7:54 am

When I was an American athlet, I would participate for the states but deny to march under the banner, and in case I win a medal deny to go on the podest and give a disclaimer. I would not liked to be associated with the flag

You were never an American athlete.

aa61hvy

Tue May 18, 2004 7:55 am

The crowds can be poor sports if they so choose. But if the US wins a medal, I hope the other competitors will outclass the crowd. If not, then shove the medals in their faces.
Go big or go home

777236ER

Tue May 18, 2004 7:56 am

Surely he was an American citizen...and an American?

Simply because his way to protest is to peacefully refuse to march with the flag he feels misrepresents him, that's his choice? In fact, isn't that ENCOURAGED in the self-proclaimed Land Of The Free?

mrniji

Tue May 18, 2004 8:01 am

Reply to When I was an American athlet, I would participate for the states but deny to march under the banner

Lesson in English grammar (basic knowledge of conjunctions)

When - conditional
When - temporal

the first was meant - implied with the conditional form 'would' in the main sentence. Possible Substitute: if

[Edited 2004-05-18 01:10:39]

Tue May 18, 2004 8:20 am

I find it pathetic that many people feel the need to harrass or put down all citizens of a country for policies its government puts forward. I don't hate the French because I may not agree with their government policy. Of course some I have encountered in France were openly hostile to Americans, most were not.

mrniji

Tue May 18, 2004 8:21 am

you have been making some pretty anti American comments, and quite frankly it's been getting on my nerves

That's because I feel ashamed for being an American, keeping in mind all the recent victims in Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam

For all I care, you can kiss my big fat American ass,

That's too disgusting

Just because these crack heads booed Americans, I'm not instantly going to take the stance that Europe is all against us

I wouldn't be that sure if I were you...  Smile

B747-437B

Tue May 18, 2004 8:28 am

you can kiss my big fat American ass, (which aint really fat) then go back to that dump, India, which you call home and keep your mouth shut

You'd probably find it very interesting that even though Mrniji shows India in his location to recognize his ethnic heritage, he was born in the US and is just as much an American citizen as you. He's probably just so ashamed of what the US flag represents right now that he'd rather not be associated with it. Just an FYI from someone who knows him personally and thinks you just stuck your foot in your mouth bigtime.  Smile
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

worldoftui

Tue May 18, 2004 8:30 am

Booing the winners is terrible. But surely the manner of the victory has something to do with it.

I remember Agassi winning the Gold in Atlanta. Massive home support which is understandable. But the manner of his victory was disgusting. He threw his racket about and swore at the umpire (basically a tantrum) all of which was picked up on the mics and broadcast to millions of viewers (including young, idolising fans) across the world. The sad thing was that the umpire did nothing.

Poor umpiring - probably. He was likely terrified! And when Agassi won he got a standing ovation. He played well and deserved it. But in any other country, had he behaved like that, he would have been booed and would have deserved it.

I don't know what your problem is man, but in the past few threads, you have been making some pretty anti American comments, and quite frankly it's been getting on my nerves. For all I care, you can kiss my big fat American ass, (which aint really fat) then go back to that dump, India, which you call home and keep your mouth shut.

That's what I like to see. A highly intelligent and articulate post. Soon you are going to tell him that his mum is a bi*ch. Jeez. He is just expressing his opinion. You might not like it, or agree, but such is life. Grow up.

Mark

Tue May 18, 2004 8:37 am

I don't know what your problem is man, but in the past few threads, you have been making some pretty anti American comments, and quite frankly it's been getting on my nerves. For all I care, you can kiss my big fat American ass, (which aint really fat) then go back to that dump, India, which you call home and keep your mouth shut.

Wow, in one almighty paragraph you have just demonstrated to us (and hopefully yourself) why the world hates the US so much. Especially in that last comment about India.

[Edited 2004-05-18 01:40:37]

Jetsgo

Tue May 18, 2004 8:45 am

Just an FYI from someone who knows him personally and thinks you just stuck your foot in your mouth bigtime.

Whether or not he has Indian heritage, citizenship, or whatever, that's fine. That part doesn't bother me or change my opinion the least bit. But when he is going to sit here and bash the U.S. for its problems, why cant I bash the country for which he wants to stand for?

Chris
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

B747-437B

Tue May 18, 2004 8:47 am

why cant I bash the country for which he wants to stand for?

Nobody's stopping you from doing just that. We're just letting you know that you look like a big idiot for doing it. Thanks for an afternoon of amusement. Thats all.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

jcs17

Tue May 18, 2004 8:57 am

That's because I feel ashamed for being an American, keeping in mind all the recent victims in Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam

I don't know what kind of chemicals they allow in the raw sewage in the streets of India, but I imagine they are relatively noxious judging by this post. The poor victims in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Vietnam? You have to be kidding me. You mean the same "victims" that perpetrated acts of terrorism, the same "victims" who tortured and killed those who went against the government. Oh, those poor victims, my fault. I'd rather stand under a flag of a country that fought against these injustices than stand under flag where my country stood idely by and watched them happen.

I remember Agassi winning the Gold in Atlanta. Massive home support which is understandable. But the manner of his victory was disgusting. He threw his racket about and swore at the umpire (basically a tantrum) all of which was picked up on the mics and broadcast to millions of viewers (including young, idolising fans) across the world. The sad thing was that the umpire did nothing.

Thats right, people outside America are always so gracious in victory. I mean, American athletes are the only ones who might get out of hand. Nothing tasteless ever occurs outside America.

WellHung

Tue May 18, 2004 8:59 am

Wow, in one almighty paragraph you have just demonstrated to us (and hopefully yourself) why the world hates the US so much. Especially in that last comment about India.

In the above posts, people claim that the US is hated because of its foreign policy. Now you're extending those reasons to include the statements of individual citizens. Well folks, which one is it?

Tue May 18, 2004 9:01 am

The poor victims in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Vietnam? You have to be kidding me. You mean the same "victims" that perpetrated acts of terrorism, the same "victims" who tortured and killed those who went against the government.

yes, those guilty civillians.

In the above posts, people claim that the US is hated because of its foreign policy. Now you're extending those reasons to include the statements of individual citizens. Well folks, which one is it?

Both, by the looks of things.

[Edited 2004-05-18 02:04:02]

mrniji

Tue May 18, 2004 9:06 am

I don't know what kind of chemicals they allow in the raw sewage in the streets of India

You ought to know... many of them are imported from you guys

You mean the same "victims" that perpetrated acts of terrorism, the same "victims" who tortured and killed those who went against the government.

No, I mean civilians, or how you call (degrade) them collateral damage

Advice:

Read

Think
Think again, consider
- is my statement accurate
- do I embarass myself publicly and look like a fool?

write

click" Send Post"

read what appears on the screen, think again (the thinking process must be difficult for you, ya?

Then, go ahead. Bingo, It is not that difficult  Smile

worldoftui

Tue May 18, 2004 9:08 am

Jcs17

Not going to disagree with you. Could give examples about many other expamples of unacceptable behaviour. I just raised that because that is what the article, and this post are about.

Mark

SXFAN

Tue May 18, 2004 9:17 am

Guys why all that fuss? The Greeks and the other fans will not boo anybody.
It is the Olympic spirit that will make these games a celebration and I hope that many lads from this forum will make it to come to the games.
We can arrange and an Olympic A.netters meeting if you agree.
All the Greeks are expecting these games to be a celebration and a cause for a global sease of fire (if possible). So let it start from this forum.
See you in Athens. Smile

Mexicana757

Tue May 18, 2004 10:40 am

The U.S. government should be more worried about their actions than what athletes might do at the Olympics. The government shouldn't stick their nose in an international event as the Olympics. If an Athlete wins a medal and wants to parade with the flag, let them do it. After all it's their hard work that got them there. It's The athlete's victory NOT the U.S. government.

It look's like the U.S. is trying to use the athletes as their own public relations to clean up their image. The government is just taking advantage of the Olympics because it's an international even that will be seen by millions around the world.

Let the Athletes celebrate in whichever way they want, as long as its not disturbing or bothering anyone else.

Spaceman

Tue May 18, 2004 10:55 am

I think the real winners are those who are humble.

Russophile

Tue May 18, 2004 11:29 am

Guys, cut the shit. On both sides.

This has nothing to do with who saved who's butt in WWII, who's jealous of whom, or who is the biggest arse.

It has to do with athletes acting like pompous idiots. And this goes for athletes from any country.

What strikes me in recent games, in regards to this, is the US mens 4 x 100m (or 4 x 400m) relay team winning the gold.

Yes, they did their victory run, yes, they draped themselves in the US flag. All well and good -- all athletes should do this.

But what distinguished these guys from other athletes, is the pompous frat-boy playing to the cameras which they partook in. It made them look ridiculous.

It instantly gave people a negative opinion of these guys -- and because they were covered in the American flag it was all too easy for people to associate this with all Americans.

Not exactly the type of image Americans should want -- although I know there are many Americans who would encourage such arrogant public displays.

Oh and Jcs17, you talk about Euro-bitching. Well, let me tell you, the Americans bitch just as much, if not more, than the Euros. In one of the baseball games at Sydney the US was playing another country (can't remember now which country), and the majority Australian crowd was barracking for the other team. Several US reporters wrote opinion pieces on this, and basically wrote the same rubbish that you wrote -- i.e. we should be supporting the US because, apparently (it isn't proven), the Americans saved our arses during World War II. It's a totally pathetic argument to make, particularly, as it is the Aussie pasttime to support the underdog -- if it was the US who was the underdog, they would have found the crowd barracking for them. Furthermore, these reporters also made the same stupid comments as yourself, in equating this baseball crowd to the Australian population in general. In fact, this is precisely the same attitude which you portray when you talk about Europeans. It is no different.

[Edited 2004-05-18 04:36:17]

Russophile

Tue May 18, 2004 11:37 am

Just went and read the article which was linked in the OP -- and how funny is it, that the most memorable moment in this regard is also the exact example the article uses. Except, these guys weren't criticised for their draping themselves in the American flag (as the article proclaims), but because of the way that their actions made them (and Americans in general) look like pompous arses.

This is the truth and it cannot be denied. Why?

Marion Jones also draped herself in the American flag, and there were no comments in the media at all on this. Why? Because she conducted herself with grace, style and decorum. Not like a drunken frat boy.

DC10GUY

Tue May 18, 2004 11:55 am

These countries citizens that "BOO" the Americans at the Olympics should be careful. We may make up stories about them having "WMD's" and invade their country, then wave our flag in their faces in their home town ..... And there is nothing that anyone can do about it .... USA USA USA USA USA.
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

JAL777

Tue May 18, 2004 12:00 pm

Well what can I say... Russophile hit the hammer on nail.