galaxy5

Bush's Speech.

Tue May 25, 2004 9:39 am

It really didn't outline much, or say much. I thought he really missed out on giving an explanation on what to do, and what's going on in Iraq. It didn't give a sense of direction. It could have done more. Also the venue on the War College was a very safe atmosphere, im sure he felt very safe among the military there. Cant blame him for that, but it gives the impression he is afraid of a more public venue.
"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

Superfly

RE: Bush's Speech.

Tue May 25, 2004 9:44 am

Galaxy5:
Cant blame him for that, but it gives the impression he is afraid of a more public venue.

Well has it occured to you that George W. Bush is probably the most hated man to ever occupy the White House?
Half the country hates him and most of the world hates him. You will never see Bush giving speeches outside in Manhattan, Chicago, San Francisco or even London. Clinton did and the people loved him. Reagan did and people greeted him with respect.
Bring back the Concorde

flyingbronco05

Tue May 25, 2004 9:49 am

I thought he really missed out on giving an explanation on what to do, and what's going on in Iraq.

I don't think ANYBODY knows what on earth is going on in Iraq, especially the President  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

galaxy5

Tue May 25, 2004 9:49 am

We know, you hate bush Blah Blah Blah. How about using a little critical thinking and actually analyze something instead of rhetoric.
"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

Superfly

Tue May 25, 2004 9:54 am

Galaxy5:
You already answered the question you had for me in your in your original post.

Bring back the Concorde

Mir

Tue May 25, 2004 9:56 am

I wasn't able to see the speech, and whitehouse.gov doesn't have any transcript of it. Does anyone know where I could find one?
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Aloha717200

Tue May 25, 2004 10:04 am

I watched it but had a very hard time hearing what he was saying. his speeches have become so predictable that all I heard was "terrorist" "dictator" "blah, blah, blah".

I was hoping he'd at least present a clear plan. If he did, I guess I'll have to read yahoo news to figure out what it was because I sure didn't hear it in his speech very well.

This gave me a headache, literally. I'm so tired of this. I can't wait till we get a new man in the white house.

which reminds me:

Anyone notice that Bush is beginning to adopt some of Kerry's ideas? Now Bush is going back to the UN? The same one that he scorned and Bush supporters despise? Now he's going back to it...that was Kerry's idea, and no doubt the Bushies will applaud him for it.

bush is moving left. And I can only think that he's doing it to make Kerry look more like a right-winger than himself, it's political chess. I'm tired of this game.

N766UA

Tue May 25, 2004 10:05 am

Well has it occured to you that George W. Bush is probably the most hated man to ever occupy the White House?

One word: Hoover.
This Website Censors Me

airplay

Tue May 25, 2004 10:05 am

Mir, I got it and offer the following paraphrase:

Blah blah blah blah blah, difficult days ahead, blah blah blah....ouch my chin hurts, blah blah blah, realm of liberty, stay the course, blah blah blah...

Superfly

Tue May 25, 2004 10:12 am

N766UA:
Hoover was disliked by many here in the United States but didn't have the world hating us Dubya has done.
Bring back the Concorde

dragon-wings

Tue May 25, 2004 10:22 am

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/05/20040524-10.html

I thought this part of the speech was interesting.

"I sent American troops to Iraq to defend our security, not to stay as an occupying power. I sent American troops to Iraq to make its people free, not to make them American"

He should look at some of his own speeches, he sent our troops to oust Saddam and get rid of the supposed WMD Iraq had.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

VSlover

Tue May 25, 2004 10:24 am

hmm, i must have watched a different speech.

first, this one wasnt in "public" it was infront of an entire audience of uniformed individuals. second, i heard "blah blah, dictator, blah, evil....blah blah blah" with about five different pronounciations of abu ghraib.

but seriously: as per usual, short of substance, long of foreign sounding names.

what else would one expect from a wholly unorganized, distrustful, scheming administration?

diamond

Tue May 25, 2004 11:07 am

Galaxy5,

I've seen you write some pretty ultra-conservative stuff in the past. But you started this thread with a very objective observation - and I'm impressed!

Everything political on here is SOOOO partisan. Glad to see someone who usually supports the Prez just make state an opinion that rises above partisan politics.

CBS news reports that the speech was filled with many "goals" but absolutely no "strategy" on how to achieve them.

If he would just level with us about a PLAN, his approval scores would jump 15% and stay there.

Kevin
Blank.

Klaus

Tue May 25, 2004 11:34 am

As far as I know, members of the armed forces are prohibited by law to publicly show dissent with the civilian leadership.

So speaking in front of military personnel may be his final refuge in terms of public speaking outside of republican party rallies...  Wink/being sarcastic

Haven´t watched the speech, however. It seems I haven´t missed much.

vafi88

Tue May 25, 2004 12:01 pm

I was actually wishing he'd give us more word on what's going on, but I guess we've seen everything... The plan wasn't clear, there were many mistakes that he could've done BEFORE the start of war (there's already a debate on whether or not it should've been started, leave that argument out) like Consult the UN or get monetary aid...

I loved his pronounciations of Abu Ghraib prison... That plan is just plain stupid, it's wasting money.
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

jutes85

Tue May 25, 2004 12:07 pm

All of his speeches are sounding the same, stay the course, we will succeed, yada yada yada.
nothing

MD11LuxuryLinr

Tue May 25, 2004 12:13 pm

Wow. I can't believe I missed another one of his speeches.. I didn't know he was even having one.

Don't they advertise these damn things anymore?

Then again, what's the point?  Insane
Caution wake turbulence, you are following a heavy jet.

WellHung

Tue May 25, 2004 12:14 pm

I didn't catch it... but did he tell us where the WMD's are?

Alpha 1

Tue May 25, 2004 12:16 pm

I didn't get to see the speech. I did read the transcript. I am encouraged by a little more specific information that the President laid out, but I think it still ignores the reality on the ground that there isn't anyone in reality to hand over the nation to. This provisional council is a joke, and Iraqi's don't take it seriously, seems to me.

A few observations:

" He and other terrorists know that Iraq is now the central front in the war on terror, and we must understand that as well."

The invasion of Iraq had no real link to the war on terror. None. Iraq did not participate in 9/11; Iraq had not threatened us in any way. It was fought on the PRETEXT of the war on terror, to settle old scores.

It's now central to the war on terror, in a sense, because our invasion has let in all kinds of terrorists. I thought that's what we're there to prevent?

"America fully supports Mr. Brahimi's efforts, and I have instructed the Coalition Provisional Authority to assist him in every way possible."

The President of the United States is instructing leaders of another nation on what to do. Doesn't that strike anyone else as absurd and hypocritical. And if this is the case, will Iraq really have any independence after June 30th, and this transfer of power? And how truly independent will Iraq be, with 150,000 foreign troops on her soil?

Bush mades some steps, but most Americans want to know one thing: when will OUR troops be coming home? What is the timetable for that?

I don't think this speech will bounce the President much in the polls. It's still to vague (a favorite word of his dad  Smile ), and there's still far too many open-ended questions ,and far too much combat still taking place to think that this thing is close to being over.

L-188

Tue May 25, 2004 12:48 pm

Nixon?
Taft?
Clinton?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Alpha 1

Tue May 25, 2004 12:59 pm

Nixon?
Taft?
Clinton?

Nixon. Hardly. He was more pitied than hated by the American people, and most of the world didn't give a shit about him?

Taft? Huh?

Clinton? YOU hated him. Conservatives hated him, so bad that for 8 1/2 years, they hounded the man. But most of the world liked Bill Clinton. And the American people overall didn't hate him, else he wouldn't have gotten elected twice.

Now, Bush has more than half the American people loathing him, and 90% of the world. Quite an achievement for a man who had all the goodwill the world could give him after 9/11.

Probably the most loathed U.S. President was Hoover, because of the perception that he wasn't to do much to fight off the Great Depression. Next to him, the most hated may have been Lincoln, since a whole region of the nation hated him, simply because of his policy on slavery.

vafi88

Tue May 25, 2004 1:10 pm

Nixon?
Taft?
Clinton?

Nixon was to go down in the top 15 best if it weren't for Watergate...

Taft wasn't a bad president, not many hated him, he pushed for equal rights, the only group I can think of that were against him, were feminists...

Clinton wasn't the best president but he was a good one, many loved him because he cared about the American people, and he also pushed very hard for the middle eastern peace. Before The Monica scandal, he would've gone as one of the top 10 best as well... You had the Dot Com boom, the peace talks as well as the VERY LOW 3% unemployement...

Hoover wasn't the worst of the worst either. He was caught in the bad part of the Depression, he didn't take nearly as many risks as FDR did, so the rise from the depression was slow, everyone hated him because of Hoovervilles... Plus, he wasn't hated NEARLY as much around the world as our current president... I know, I had to write essays on these topics just a few short weeks ago...
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

STT757

Tue May 25, 2004 1:14 pm

Superfly

"Well has it occured to you that George W. Bush is probably the most hated man to ever occupy the White House?"

The November election will decide that, I would say that inside the US after the scandals that plagued Clinton that he is still less popular amongst American's than GW Bush.

." You will never see Bush giving speeches outside in Manhattan, Chicago, San Francisco or even London. Clinton did and the people loved him. Reagan did and people greeted him with respect "

Senator Hilary Clinton got booed of the Stage at the Concert for Heroes held at Madison Square Garden right after 9-11, her counter part Senator Chuck Schumer (also a Democrat) was cheered. Former President Bill Clinton also spoke at that concert and was showered with boos.

They now only make "safe" speeches even in their "Home State" of New York.

Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

QIguy24

Tue May 25, 2004 1:24 pm

I can tell you that Clinton was much more popular than Bush Jr. is right now.
Most europeans really liked that man. He really listened to what the rest of the world has to say. Bush doesn't give a shit about what the rest of the world has to say.
And Bush is more a cowboy than a president. That is for sure. He should have stayed home on his ranch doing his shit. I must admit that I was qite interested when Bush became prez. I thought he would do a good job. But I was wrong..

Clinton wasn't very smart when he lied about Lewinsky. That was pretty stupid, but that man did a hell of a good job when he was the president.

Man I wish that McCain were running for president. He would be much better than both Kerry and Bush together.

NoUFO

Tue May 25, 2004 1:44 pm

The way how Galaxy started this thread shows one more time that even though he supports Mr Bush, he is willing to maintain a critical distance to the Administration, and I appreciate that.

I haven't read the transcript yet, but I'm curious if he announced a closer cooperation with allied nations in the Middle East, such as Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Kuwait. It's not unlikely that those countries have some ideas how to calm the situation in Iraq.
It's hardly imaginable that the momentary lack of responses suggest a lack of enthusiasm.
I support the right to arm bears

cba

Tue May 25, 2004 2:03 pm

The speech was hollow, like all of his other speeches. He stands up, reads the rhetoric from the teleprompter, his supporters applaud. Nothing special. If you've seen one Bush speech, you've seen them all.

JGPH1A

Tue May 25, 2004 4:36 pm

Re: If you've seen one Bush speech, you've seen them all...

Curiously true - and the audience ALWAYS seem to be dressed in uniform. Does the man never speak to non-military people ? I guess it would explain a great deal.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

sabenapilot

Tue May 25, 2004 5:46 pm

Yes, he does, JPGH1A!
Don't you remember that speech where there was a teenage boy standing behind him looking very bored?

Anyay, a very uninspiring speech once again: has the man ever thought about this? It is better to be considered a fool and shut up, than to speak out loudly and thus remove all doubt?

Anyway, really funny to hear him pronounce Abu Graib in so many different ways... Boy, if you listen to him, you'd think their are at least 10 prison scandals right now!  Laugh out loud

Oh, for those who missed it:
apparently they are going to pull down this Abu Graib prison, probably because he is afraid the place might turn into a sanctuary... Apparently he wants to eliminate all physical evidence of the US abuses as soon as possible. And he is going to spend millions on building a new prison to replace it! As a shining example of the new Iraq! Funny the man doesn't see the irony of this: The US 'liberators' of Iraq will give the newly independent Iraq a new very large and modern prison which should stand for all the good the US has done to this country!?!  Nuts He truly is insane...

Anyway, for the rest: no hint of an exit plan, no strategy, no nothing.

I wonder what will be in that UN resolution he want to rush through the Security Counsel? I have just heard the French aren't very pleased with it....

mdsh00

Tue May 25, 2004 5:52 pm

I haven't listened to the speech but I'm sure it was the same drivel that Bush always delivers.

"The US 'liberators' of Iraq will give the newly independent Iraq a new very large and modern prison which should stand for all the good the US has done to this country!?!"

Would you prefer that no new prisons were built? But then that would be arrogant for us to assume that we won't need them right?
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

sabenapilot

Tue May 25, 2004 6:00 pm

It's the irony of it that is striking, Mdsh00.

Don't you see the US has a catch 22 situation with Abu Graib?

Keep it as it is and it will become a very symbolic sanctuary of all those who want to remember US abuses after the handover and for a very long time in an area where the US are not really liked already;
Tear it down just like that and they will claim you want to physically alter history and eliminate the horror of truth simply because it doesn't suit you.
Replace it by a new prison and people will just not know what they hear; irony at it best: those who claim to bring freedom are building us a prison?

[Edited 2004-05-25 11:01:25]

mdsh00

Tue May 25, 2004 6:09 pm

Oh I defnitely think it's a great call to tear it down, for posterity's sake. But, being realistic, you need some type of prison. My point is that it's easy to criticize putting up a new prison...but thinking logically, a prison is necessary for the future of a free Iraq...whenever that is  Insane. Maybe a better idea would be to build it somewhere else in Baghdad.

As for the catch 22...yes it's there. But it already is damned if you do and damned if you don't when it comes to the Arab world and the US.

[Edited 2004-05-25 11:14:16]
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

sabenapilot

Tue May 25, 2004 6:20 pm

Yes, you are 100 correct of course: Iraq (like any country) needs prisons too, but the whole situation at Abu Graib, the way it was handled and now this somewhat ironic link between 'bringing freedom' and building prisons as most noticeable landmarks gave the US another catch 22 for which there is nobody else to blame but the man delivering the speech last night.

The fact you have so many catch 22s right now (this one being just a small one in fact) is because this man and his administration failed to set out a long time strategy when invading Iraq.

Things in Iraq just didn't go as they hoped and they clearly failed to plan ahead for the worst case scenario, which is really bad, because that's what a president should always do! Everybody can be a leader if things go well, it is only in difficult times you will see who is a real leader and who's not.
Bush has proved he's definitely NOT.

mdsh00

Tue May 25, 2004 6:28 pm

I agree. I didn't vote for him last time and I'm not planning on it in November either.

As for Iraq, it is just one big rhetoric filled mess on ALL sides.

With that being said...I think it's time for some sleep on my side of the Western Hemisphere.

[Edited 2004-05-25 11:30:21]

QANTAS077

Tue May 25, 2004 7:24 pm

just read his speech, same shit just a different location!

i am not to farmiliar with US politics but i know you are voting this year.

Question-Will Bush be voted in for a 2nd term?

one thing i found disturbing, he mentions the beheading of Nick Berg yet he has had no personal contact with the Berg family.  Nuts

SUPRAZACHAIR

Tue May 25, 2004 7:52 pm

Man I wish that McCain were running for president. He would be much better than both Kerry and Bush together.

That was weird... Just before I read your post this same thought (almost word for word) scrolled across my mind.

JGPH1A

Tue May 25, 2004 8:21 pm

Judging from his last run at the Presidency in 2000, I was very impressed with John McCain - if he were running against Kerry, I'd vote McCain (if I was allowed to vote, that is). He is the shining hope that not all Republicans are fascist dribbling morons.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Boeing Nut

Tue May 25, 2004 9:04 pm

Seems like he said the same damn thing a year ago.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

Alpha 1

Wed May 26, 2004 12:43 am

Wrong, Boeing nut, a year ago, he was telling us the war was all but over. And, in his mind, it was.

I watched some of the highlights on the news last night, and he didn't sound like the same confident, self-assured George W. Bush. He sounded hesitant, unsure and stumbled a bit. That's not normally like him.

He's in deep doo doo right now.

Shawn Patrick

Wed May 26, 2004 7:54 am

A Kerry + McCain ticket would be an awesome combination, unfortunately McCain doesn't want it.  Sad

JeffM

Wed May 26, 2004 8:08 am

McCain was a prisoner once, I'm hopeful he is not dumb enough to step into a sinking ship as well... LOL  Big grin

jaysit

Wed May 26, 2004 8:11 am

Does anyone pay any attention to what this bumbling bumpkin liar of a President reads any more of his ridiculously scripted speeches? Other than the usual bunch of self-deluded a.net users who use Bush's speeches as masturbatory material?
Atheism is Myth Understood.

JeffM

Wed May 26, 2004 8:13 am

What's the matter Jay? Looking for something new to jack off to?  Big grin

Shawn Patrick

Wed May 26, 2004 8:18 am

I'm very pleased with the political shift I've seen here in the past months/years. Most of the American members posting to these political topics used to support Bush heavily. Now, taking this topic for example, it seems JeffM is the only one still with the blinders on, still hard-headed in his support for this crazy man in office. It especially pleases me to see objective analyses from traditionally republican people like Galaxy. I'm glad that some are able to see through what they traditionally believe, and not let party lines get in the way of judging the president.

I'm glad that we're finally seeing this political shift. I'm glad people are finally starting to see the reality of Bush's true value (which is very negative) to this country and the world.

[Edited 2004-05-26 01:20:48]

JeffM

Wed May 26, 2004 8:32 am

Shawn, you have not a clue what you are talking about.

Your perspective is just as biased as anyone's. Saying what you think is a shift is nothing more then opinion. Don't try to make it out as fact.

Yes, I support the current president, as I did Clinton on certain things, and on down the line. After the election, I will support who ever wins, when it comes to things important to me. So get off your little soap box boy. O.K.?

diamond

Wed May 26, 2004 8:36 am

I am not the original author of this letter (and it is NOT copyrighted), but I do know the guy who wrote it. It is what I would write to anyone who is still clinging onto Bush's version of honesty and democracy:

An Open Letter to My Pro-Bush Brother-in-Law
by Jimmy Lohman

Dear John:

For two years I have struggled to write this letter. Indeed, nary a morning has passed when I have not sat at my desk and labored over the right words to express my sorrow that anyone I know could support the cruel, misguided and hopelessly immoral wars being waged in our names.

During this period, as each sordid chapter has unfolded, as each new lie has been exposed and each new horror has stared us in the face, I have longed for the day when your eyes will finally see the truth. I have dreamed of the moment I can put my arms around you, cry with you and embrace your painful recognition that, in the immortal words of Pogo, "we have met the enemy and he is us." Your steadfast loyalty to an administration steeped in archaic concepts of world domination is a source of daily anguish, as you have come to represent, in my microcosm, that other half of our nation that will always believe "my country right or wrong" – no matter how horrific our government’s actions.

At the beginning of this global nightmare, you typified the patronizing attitude of those in power who claimed to know what is best. "You just don’t understand," you told your dear peace-loving sister, my gentle wife, one who could not possibly understand what drives men to kill each other. "Can’t you see that it is Saddam or us?" you reasoned. You told her she was naive, while you believed every word out of the mouth of Dick Cheney, who graduated in 2000 from CEO of the moribund Halliburton to Vice-President of the United States. As the months passed and the deceptions unfolded and Halliburton reaped untold billions from this despicable venture, I resisted the urge day-by-day to ask you, "Who is the naive one here?"

Occasionally, I would email you articles that exposed the lies or succinctly and eloquently reflected my agony over the murderous and self-defeating policies to which you continued to cling. I ceased and desisted, however, when Rebecca conveyed to me how much it annoyed you. "Leave him alone," she implored. "It will only cause a rift between you that I will have to live with."

But I can keep my peace no longer. Today the camel’s back broke. As the story emerges that the torture and abuse and genocide have been condoned and sanctioned at the highest levels of this corrupt administration, I am once again compelled to reach out to you and ask, "Is there no limit to your acceptance of these dreadful policies? Are you not big enough to admit when your president is wrong?"

I have wondered many times during this escalating ordeal what you would have done had you lived in Germany in the 1930's. Would you have been a good Nazi in the same way that you are a good American? Would you ever have possessed the objectivity or detachment, even after the war and the liberation of the death camps, to step back and say, "My God. How did I let that happen?" I knew you would scoff at a comparison that today seems less and less remote.

A week or so ago, on her Air America Radio show, Janeane Garofalo mused: "To continue to support this administration at this point you’ve got to have a serious character flaw." I have to agree, which is why I hope and pray that by now, you have joined the many well-intended Republicans, conservative columnists and pundits, generals, career intelligence officials, and many others who can longer countenance what is being done in their names. How many more American boys and girls must die and lose limbs for Halliburton? How many thousands more Iraqis must die defending their own country from those who claim to be liberating it? How much more anti-Americanism must be sown across this shrinking globe before those who put the perpetrators in power say "Stop!" How much longer will it take to "connect the dots" that link the litany of anti-human policies that are transforming the relatively peaceful forward-looking world Bush inherited into one that resembles more the Age of Attila?

I have repelled the urge to ask you whether this war is worth donating the lives and limbs of your own sons. If this combat is so important, would you sacrifice Johnny’s legs for Dick Cheney’s war? Would you donate Jacob’s sanity? Would you support Brad joining the National Guard and ending up in Iraq? If not, how are you so willing to donate the bodies and minds of other peoples’ sons and daughters? Thankfully, your boys are still too young to serve in this abominable and disgraceful endeavor. Give Bush four more years, however, and they will be old enough. Is that what you want?

In love and friendship,
Jimmy

Blank.

jaysit

Wed May 26, 2004 8:42 am

No one with any intelligence believes the man on Iraq any more.

He lied on WMDs, he lied about the "end of the war," he lied about his wretched Secretary of Defense having no hand in prisoner scandals. When you see him on the boob tube fumbling and bumbling between concepts and pronunciations and syntax and grammar, you don't know whether you should laugh or cry. Its a bit like watching the road runner cartoon - you know that the coyote's gonna make a dumb ass of himself, but you watch anyways.

The only people who do believe him are the usual geographic and historical dullards who couldn't find Iraq - or Washington, DC - on a map if you let them: the collective Idiots United posse from Texas among others.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

sabenapilot

Wed May 26, 2004 8:54 am

Very impressive lettre that was, Diamond...

The man writing that lettre has more talent in his right finger, than a whole team of Bush' speech writers.

This is the quote of the day for me!

How much longer will it take 'to connect the dots' that link the litany of anti-human policies that are transforming the relatively peaceful forward-looking world Bush inherited into one that resembles more the Age of Attila?

VectorVictor

Wed May 26, 2004 9:22 am

I always say - any letter without a Janeane Garofalo quote is a letter that shouldn't be mailed.

Insane

Alpha 1

Wed May 26, 2004 12:03 pm

Great VectorVictor. A one liner to explain away what a lot of Americans feel. What a strok of intellectual genius on your part.

Shows again how intellectually bankrupt those who blindly follow Bush have become.

NWA742

Wed May 26, 2004 12:22 pm

Shows again how intellectually bankrupt those who blindly follow Bush have become.

Speaking of intelligence, maybe you should realize the fact that not all Bush followers follow the man blindly.

I see far more on here who blindy hate and insult the man rather than follow him, that's because we have a large group of loud hardcore liberals on here who will never change their views, let alone shut the hell up.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs