AeroAussie
Topic Author

EU New Members And Immigration

Thu May 27, 2004 2:17 am

How are the new EU members going to handle immigration now? Will they all join the Schengen treaty? If I were to have taken the train from Austria to Hungary back in April, I would have had my passport checked at the border. Is that true now as well? Is a flight from Frankfurt to Riga still treated as a flight from London to Riga would be, or is it now treated as a flight from Frankfurt to Munich or Rome would be? (ie: no immigration controls upon arrival/departure.)
Thanks!

-Nick

scottysair

RE: EU New Members And Immigration

Thu May 27, 2004 2:20 am

I am not sure about what is going on with immigration.

pelican

Thu May 27, 2004 2:25 am

The new members haven't joined the Schengen treaty yet. This will not change until the next 1 or 2 years.

pelican

sebolino

Thu May 27, 2004 4:00 am

Anyway, Schengen is not fully applied as long as some members are considered "unsafe".

Thu May 27, 2004 6:49 am

Slovenia is expected to join the Schengen treaty sometime in 2006. That's when the Schengen border will move from Slovenia's borders with Italy, Austria, and Hungary to its border with Croatia. The other three borders will then become internal EU borders, with no routine controls (but may still be subject to occasional temporary checkpoints). Slovenia's border with Croatia will then become the EU's external (Schengen) border, which may mean somewhat more thorough inspections for people passing through there. That situation will last until Croatia joins the EU (parhaps by the end of the decade) and later signs the Schengen treaty.

The same principle applies for the other seven non-island new members.