British767
Topic Author

Deep Impact

Sun May 30, 2004 7:07 am

On BBC1 tonight was Deep Impact. I have seen it loads of times now but every time I watch it, it still strikes me as a powerful and very emotional film. Does anybody else think this? Does it still make you feel different compared to watching other films? It does to me, don't know why, but it just does. Anyone else?

RE: Deep Impact

Sun May 30, 2004 7:10 am

Personally i thought it was one of the shitest films around.

I cant stand that actor either, the one who found the comet.

trekster

Sun May 30, 2004 7:13 am

bugger, i missed it, my fav film, well one of em, though i like all films where a part of the earth is gettin wiped out.

im a strange person
Where does the time go???

British767
Topic Author

Sun May 30, 2004 7:14 am

Same here. I haven't seen The Day After Tomorrow but I have read that it's an excellent film.

[Edited 2004-05-30 00:19:44]

Sun May 30, 2004 7:24 am

Yes,

I like the film.. it's a very emotional film..

To actually think that could happen.. F***!

It made me cry in certain parts.. especially when people died and when that astronaut cant see his new born baby because he's gone blind  Sad

Arghhhh!

BTW, the person that finds the comet is called Elijah Wood - better known as FRODO from LOTR

Regards,

CM

[Edited 2004-05-30 00:27:26]

B747-437B

Sun May 30, 2004 7:30 am

It made me cry in certain parts.. especially when people died

Sorry for seeming uncaring, but this just cracks me up.

Crying at "Deep Impact". Jeez dude, grow a pair!
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

trekster

Sun May 30, 2004 7:36 am

the only bit where a tear came out of my eye was the bit where the wave hit the beach with the two standing on it, and where she gave her seatup to the kid and her mum (dr weaver from er)
Where does the time go???

Sun May 30, 2004 7:43 am

Sorry for seeming uncaring, but this just cracks me up.

Crying at "Deep Impact". Jeez dude, grow a pair!

I know..

I cry at all films with death in  Sad

Regards,

CM

Horus

Sun May 30, 2004 9:00 am

Personally i thought it was one of the shitest films around.

I second that all the way!
EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

Leezyjet

Sun May 30, 2004 9:18 am

The US spends all that money on defense from attack by other countries, but only spends about 1% or something rediculously low like that on searching space for objects that could collide with us and wipe the lot of us out.

Nuts
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

Tubbyboeing

Sun May 30, 2004 9:30 am

I felt that it was a crappy movie. The science in the movie is absolute shit and nowhere close to what will actually happen if an asteroid strikes the Earth.

GDB

Sun May 30, 2004 9:30 am

Pure drivel, I saw this crap on a LHR-HKG flight in 1998, (before PTV in cattle class).
Badly named too, this film is neither deep nor has any impact.
But this weeks Time Out TV review said it best, "so lame you'll be rooting for the asteroid".

They hit the nail on the head for 'Titanic' too, "after an hour you'll be yelling 'sink you bastard' at the TV".

Derico

Sun May 30, 2004 10:41 am

Mediocre, although some of the subplots were descent.

Slightly better than Armaggeddon in the 'space-rock-hits-third-rock-crapping-the-earthling's-day' genre...

By the looks of 'Day after Tomorrow', it is even worse than those two, specially those LA twisters miraculously honing on the "Hollywood sign"...

If only US cruise missiles were that effective...
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

A330Fan1

Sun May 30, 2004 6:26 pm

Deep Impact from what I remember was a really good film in the sense that it combined emotion, and romance with action and adventure. Although very unrealistic, like Day After Tomorrow, still a good movie to watch - quite a captivating movie.

-A330Fan1

Shamrock_747

Mon May 31, 2004 1:51 am

I thought it was mildly entertaining, but on the whole a load of rubbish.

MYT332

Mon May 31, 2004 3:09 am

Whoaa! I was just reading above and some weird sound came on saying 'I feel like an orphan' and kept repeating.

Anyone care to explain what that was!! It stopped when i minimized the window? Freaky

Oh yea craptastic film....Anyone who cried at it needs bitch slapping.

One Life, Live it.

sovietjet

Mon May 31, 2004 4:17 am

Armageddon was much better. Deep impact didn't have anough action. Armageddon had constant action and it was more sad than Deep Impact. The only part I liked was when the asteroid hit. I still dont get how that kid in the motorcycle went like 1000 miles in half a day to avoid the wave.

ushermittwoch

Mon May 31, 2004 5:24 am

One of the movies that just sucks major ass from the first to the last minute.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

mikedlayer

Mon May 31, 2004 5:36 am

I know it is a pretty crappy movie....but yeah I think there is something at the end that just makes you think, makes me think at the end christ what if this did actually happen....then it ends and you turn over the channel and don't ever think about it again lol  Big grin

Mike

BO__einG

Mon May 31, 2004 6:17 am

Crappy movie..

I didn't like any of the characters especially the young Elijah Woods.
John Glen on the other hand was better. The action part as usual was pretty neat to watch but I don't agree with skyscrapers in New York toppling over like dominoes when the tidal wave hits.

Armageddon was better, some bigger name actors and Liv Tyler..  Smile
The action in that movie plus the special effects were pretty sweet.

Day After Tomorrow from the looks of it, sounds like a ridiculous and predictable plot but none the less the effects and action are unbelivable..
So I am going to see that movie. Maybe the cheesy plot line may somehow work with the whole disaster concept.
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

Arcano

Mon May 31, 2004 6:23 am

I loved it!
It's a special effects movie, but for making a difference also cares for drama, lines and conflict. Armageddon follows the typical ID4 argument: the world is in danger, the only one to note it is USA and USA saves the world... so deja vu! I mean, it has some of it, but more sophisticated, not ridiculous as ID4

DI finally recognizes the fact that "there's nothing to do" and this gives a different sight, a different way the characters interact with each other. The scene of the beach, the way the girl farewells her parents, the fear in the face of Morgan Freeman... just a better taste movie!

"Independence and Freedom for all mankind"... come on, so cheap! The only good about Armageddon is Liv Tyler  Love. And that joke character of "the stupid clumsy Russian", just matched by Jar Jar Binks. No, pure icon.
Also, you have to admit that the crash of the comet in the ocean, the wave over Manhattan and the atmosphere reaction is perfect. Armageddon again: "oh yes, lets get rid of Paris although if we remove the sequence the movie does not change at all!"

BTW, anybody liked "The Core"? a very good movie again, with a kind of black humor that makes it a very interesting proposal in this gender.

)( Arcano
in order: 721,146,732,763,722,343,733,320,772,319,752,321,88,83,744,332,100,738, 333, 318, 77W, 78, 773, 380, 73G, 788, 789, 346

lehpron

Mon May 31, 2004 3:45 pm

I really wished I did not read all the replies...

My initial take on the movie was that it was a really sad movie. Or at least I felt disturbed coming off of it -- definitely NOT crappy, more like way too realistic, like I was forced to watch the events of 9/11 again. Life sucks and with every attempt most of Hollywood makes to mimic that, they blow everything way out of proportion. We have all been programmed by most of Hollywood to accept pure action, special FX, big names, lots of sexuality and less plot or the reality of it all -- ever hear of ratings?

Armageddon was unrealistic and oddly alike with this movie, didn't the production team actually start afterwards and finish before Deep Impact was out? There should be a law to prevent real-time emulation of movies. The only reason it became a big deal was with Liv Tyler and that Aerosmith song her daddy sang. Big whoopty fucking do...  Insane

>> "I cant stand that actor either, the one who found the comet" <<

Considering how much you included, how much of hating the actor in question was a part of the way the movie was to you, i.e. what are the chances you weren't being objective? Who the hell judges a movie by who is acting in it?! Ever heard of a plot, a genre perhaps? If you didn't like it say so, don't make unsubstantiateable excuses!

>> "The only part I liked was when the asteroid hit. I still dont get how that kid in the motorcycle went like 1000 miles in half a day to avoid the wave. " <<

All movies and documentries extend time for prespective's sake, you don't honestly think that comet would take the 2 hours during the moive to hit the Earth from when it was discovered in real life, do you?? Besides, in Virginia (where the kid lived), there are large hills and mountains within 200 miles of the coast, I think that can be done in half a day. At least this made Deep Impact real cuz they showed us that it would take 2 years to hit, unlike Armageddon that assumed (like ID4) we don't see it til the last minute.

>> "The science in the movie is absolute shit and nowhere close to what will actually happen if an asteroid strikes the Earth." <<

Okay smart ass, what will actually happen, hmm? In real life nobody gives a damn (this thread proves that) for the likelihood (as if it will never happen cuz it hasn't in recorded human history) so why look for the killer asteroid. This has got to be the most arrogant stance on the planet. Though that doesn't mean we should pour money into it otherwise, just stop acting like it won't happen [sooner than later]. In the movie, the only mistake I found was that the first chunk hit at an extremely low angle, most of the wave energy should have gone towards Europe. But it was a minor detail.

>> "I don't agree with skyscrapers in New York toppling over like dominoes when the tidal wave hits. " <<

Do you know the power of water at all? A 6-inch deep flood can lift an automobile; many drivers don't know this and get into trouble (unless you have an SUV or truck). At it's density of 62.5 lbs per cubic foot, you only have to go underwater about 30 feet before you have 1000 pounds pressure up against your body per square foot. Let's say the average skyscraper is 50 stories high, and then it would be 500 feet up and sits on a 100x100 foot block of land. That is 50,000 total square foot on one side. Most buildings are designed to take up to 60 mph winds or higher, but the difference of air and seawater is 816 times as dense, which would translate to a wave of water 500 x 100 feet high moving at less than 1.6 miles per hour, which is less than the speed of a river. I can assure you that even a half-mile impact occurred in the middle of the Atlantic, the energy would result in a Tsunami moving at 300 miles per hour and much wider than a few hundred feet by the time it hits the coast. You're right, they won't fall like dominos, more like houses under tornados, and for those who have died this weekend, may they rest in peace.  Sad

From reading the pathetic posts above, it seems you folks fell for the Hollywood enterprise, and because of your expectations due to this, somehow Deep Impact sucks? Try thinking a little, put yourself in their shoes, I'll bet all of you here would be like those fools in the movie who lived on the Coastlines did not move til the last minute cuz even you still believed it was not going to happen.

I'm in no way cheering up and down for this movie, it was a sad movie, and just it isn’t crappy by a long shot. If any of you did not like this movie, say so and shut up; you know you don't have to give any excuses or reasons why.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

Dasa

Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:27 pm

^and here I was thinking it was just a movie...

For the record, I thought it sucked, I'm not a big movie buff anyway, so it takes an exceptional film to captivate me.

paulc

Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:46 pm

much prefer Deep Impact over Armageddon - one has Bruce Wills - the other does not - rest my case  Big grin
English First, British Second, european Never!

JGPH1A

Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:59 pm

I was kind of hoping the asteroid would land on the weepy stupid bloody girlfriend "I'm not going without my parents" dozy cow. The tidal wave is cool, and I'd vote for Morgan Freeman for Prez any day. And of course, as a European I shall demand a refund from the ESA for not spotting the damn thing at all ! Hellooooo - there are actually telescopes and things outside the US, stunning as that may seem.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Tubbyboeing

Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:29 pm

Lehpron, Hmmm...nice long post.

Anyways, with regards to my earlier quote "The science in the movie is absolute shit and nowhere close to what will actually happen if an asteroid strikes the Earth." I stick to it.

I suggest that you read the book titled "TARGET EARTH". It is written by Arthur C. Clarke (the guy who wrote 2001: A Space Odyssey), and it is published by Readers Digest UK. It is an excellent book, and there is even a section titled "Movies and Reality". The author specifically discusses two movies - Armageddon and Deep Impact, and carefully compares what we see in those movies to what might actually happen if an asteroid strikes the Earth, and believe me the real scenario is wayyyy more scary, lets hope it never happens anytime soon.

I liked Tea Leoni though..she looked nice Big grin

QIguy24

Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:44 pm

Well... It wasn't the best catastrophic ever made but it wasn't the worst either. I have seen it several times now my self.

But the best catastrophic movie IMO is Twister... Man I love that movie Big grin

Leezyjet

Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:41 am

Made a change that a movie made in the US actually showed the US getting destroyed and not some other "little" country, like Europe for example.  Big grin

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

sovietjet

Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:45 am

Yea that girlfriend and that dude were seriously retarded. First she wants to go then she stays but then he goes and doesnt want to and then he changes his mind and goes back and somehow finds her in the middle of all those cars and then she changes her mind and goes and then magically they both make it to the mountains. And he was still not that far down the road when he saw it fly overhead. The parents got completely buried but he wasnt touched yet they were on the same road same place not two hours ago. I feel tha last scenes were just too rushed.

JGPH1A

Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:47 am

Re: not some other "little" country, like Europe

If it had been Europe, nobody in the US would go see the movie - after all, what happens outside the US is irrelevant, right ?
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

EA CO AS

Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:00 am

specially those LA twisters miraculously honing on the "Hollywood sign"...

One thing is constant in all disaster movies - your odds of getting hit by (insert force of nature or falling space object here) increase exponentially based on your proximity to any famous landmark.  Big thumbs up

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Alpha 1

Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:19 am

One thing is constant in all disaster movies - your odds of getting hit by (insert force of nature or falling space object here) increase exponentially based on your proximity to any famous landmark.

That IS amazing, isn't it?  Laugh out loud

Tubbyboeing

Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:10 am

But the best catastrophic movie IMO is Twister... Man I love that movie

Qlguy24, gotta agree with you there  Big thumbs up
Twister was a great movie, I liked it a lot..hehe, but it was sad to see the bad guys get sucked up by the twister at the end.

lehpron

Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:20 am

>> "One thing is constant in all disaster movies - your odds of getting hit by (insert force of nature or falling space object here) increase exponentially based on your proximity to any famous landmark." <<

That is because the average person would not recognize big and powerful unless what was happening was near something that held both.

Ever notice is all action movies, SOMETHING collides with a food/flower cart with stuff going everywhere for no damned reason?  Smile
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

cptkrell

Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:06 am

Kinda trying to avoid this (dated?) thread and somewhat similar comments in reference to the other disaster movie(s) genre, I just couldn't help but search for an old Larry Niven/Jerry Pournelle book entitled "Lucifer's Hammer", (copyright 1977 - ISBN: 0-449-23599-8).

If there is a basically 'complete script' pre-written for any of the many hollywood entertainment presentations that is better, I don't know of it (them?). "Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent". Anyone else remember SGT Friday?

Moving right along, as a desgner, I have a particular interest in special effects and convincing dioramas; I will see "Day" on the big screen and judge for myself, however, I have the distinct impression from reading many of the previous posts that I should certainly remove my 'political hat'.

That drivelled, the old novel I mentioned before isn't all that bad (it even includes the obligatory social-synopsi and personal histories of individuals that screen-writers seem so compelled to highlight above the main thrust of the ending of the world). My ramblings only, but if you want a read, find the old Neville/Pournelle book. You might even find what is currently considered an educated and scientific somewhat parallel analysis by accessing the NASA site in reference to 'deep impacts'. Regards..Jack
all best; jack