"Was Abu Ghraib Standard CIA
everything indicates that this is indeed the case:
- there has been vast experience with prisoner/guard situations(zimbardo). if there had not been any supervision, rogue soldiers would indeed be a perfect explanation what went wrong.
when you do however consider that this part of the military was under intelligence service supervision, it is very very very doubtful that the superiors didnt support or encourage it. military intel people are ALWAYS very nosey and want to know everything going on in their sphere of influence, so i do believe that they knew it and actually encouraged them to do it because it made their interrogations easier or even ordered them to do it.
- the 30+ "natural dead" in u.s. custody of whom a bunch were already proven murder are a clear enough indication by itself
- "gloves are off now" announcements have been made by various administration officials post 9-11
- the cia has a long lasting history, especially in latin america, of torture and/or teaching local elements torture to support the "preferred regime"
- there are multiple leaked cia documents that in detail deal with all sorts of torture, usually related to latin america, and detailed instructions how to apply them for best results
- there have been statements by various third party nations that they have in fact interrogated u.s. prisoners in relation to 9-11 to achieve quicker results. this means that to get information faster about possible other attacks on the u.s., the cia has had other countries physically torture terrorist suspects when there was a case of urgency where they could not wait for the breakdown of a person due to the in the long run more effective psychological torture
- looking what all happened after 9-11 in the name of the war on terror, i think abu ghraib is one of the things that are practically of the least concern apart from its PR
power. the real problem with abu ghraib was in fact only iraqi and u.s. pr, hence not related to the war on terror, apart from the funny neo con justification that "saddam did worse", making the u.s. look like the new asshole of the world with saddam as the measure of moral standarts some people seem to apply to themselves now