greatansett

Why Fox News Is Terrible!

Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:49 am

What do you people out there think of Fox news. I watched it the other day and found it to be absolute Cr@#. I was shocked to hear that it is the most watched news in USA. Does anyone agree with me?
Ron Paul 2012

b757300

RE: Why Fox News Is Terrible!

Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:01 am

I just love how kids from the other side of the planet tell us in the U.S. how we should think. It is even worse when it is the same three things over and over ad nauseam.

Oh, and how about tell use why it is so "terrible". Don't be like Kerry and spout out statements without giving any details or reasons.

[Edited 2004-06-06 04:03:21]
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

DodgeCharger

Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:07 am

This has become a once a week topic

greatansett

Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:16 am

B757300

I found that it bashed the French to much especially on the O'Riley factor not giving all the right facts and in some cases making up stories like the fact they said a Chemical bomb factory was found in Iraq with weapons of mass destruction. No factory was found. Can you explain how that is good reporting.
Ron Paul 2012

BH346

Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:05 pm

It's not my favorite although I don't really think it's as bad as many say it is. While it does offer a lot of conservative-oriented programming, at least in some of it, such as in Hannity and Colmes, there is a liberal voice (ie Alan Colmes). I think it gets to become a little cheesy..they always have some self-promoting bit going on or some flashy intro for everything. I usually go for MSNBC or maybe CNN, at least they're a bit more to the point and deliver the news in a more professional manner.
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

L.1011

Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:07 pm

Well Greatansett,

What FOX presents are facts, just as every other news network on the planet. There are only 3 major wire services, and those "untruths" are exactly what was presented to every other news network. Whether or not they present it is their integrity, not my problem.

greatansett

Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:10 pm

Well L.1011 I don't agree with you and I don't see FOX present its facts that well but I guess everyone has there favorites.
Ron Paul 2012

Alpha 1

Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:11 pm

What FOX presents are facts

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Kid, you are good for a laugh, that's for sure. If you call Hannity and O'Reilly into "facts", you're more naive than I ever suspected.  Laugh out loud

sleekjet

Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:18 pm

Well, I don't like Fox's over-the-top energy and POW-POW-POW graphics. But they do a great service simply by NOT throwing a liberal slant on everything, a la CNN or ABC.

No wonder it's our leading news source.
II Cor. 4:17-18

greatansett

Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:22 pm

Sleekjet I find that they use those images to make the news more sensational in an attempt to hardsell the news while CNN is more conservative.
Ron Paul 2012

sleekjet

Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:26 pm

CNN's "approach" is conservative, but their political sway is definitely liberal. I wish Fox would cut the high-tech stuff and say everything softly.
II Cor. 4:17-18

NWA742

Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:28 pm

What FOX presents are facts

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Kid, you are good for a laugh, that's for sure. If you call Hannity and O'Reilly into "facts", you're more naive than I ever suspected.

Come on Alpha 1, be mature. Just because Fox News doesn't throw an enormous liberal slant on everything, doesn't mean they don't present facts.

I know you hate them, but saying that they, as a news source, don't present facts is ridiculous. They have a different slant than CNN, but they present the same facts.

Prove me wrong, please.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

Alpha 1

Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:32 pm

Come on Alpha 1, be mature. Just because Fox News doesn't throw an enormous liberal slant on everything, doesn't mean they don't present facts.

Oh, give me a break, man. Don't patronize me. Fox is the most biases network out there, and you want me to admit the opposite is true? What are you smoking?

greatansett

Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:36 pm

I agree with you Alpha 1 when the war had just begun FOX did not show any anti-war demonstrations while ABC/CNN did. They are bias
Ron Paul 2012

NWA742

Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:39 pm

Fox is the most biases network out there, and you want me to admit the opposite is true? What are you smoking?

Come on, what are you saying? First you say Fox doesn't present facts, now you say they are the most biased. Which one is it?

Fox is biased, but just the opposite way from stations like CNN. Why do you have to have a double standard here, if CNN is biased towards the liberals, you are fine with that, but you hate FOX because they're biased for conservatives.

Get over yourself, don't complain just because not every single media source is biased for liberals. Not everyone is a liberal, hate to tell ya.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:56 pm

Cable news? *barf* Please tell me that isn't the most interesting way that you guys can think of to spend your time.

I don't watch FNC. I don't watch CNN. I don't watch MSNBC. I don't watch network news. I don't read newspapers. I don't care. If the world is going to hell, it's going to have to do it without me...

In other words, the eternal prognostications (especially the ones based on incomplete information--which is to say most) so characteristic of news sources are more than I can stomach. I have enough worry in my life as it is.

'Speed

jcs17

Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:58 pm

I agree with you Alpha 1 when the war had just begun FOX did not show any anti-war demonstrations while ABC/CNN did. They are bias

Are you biased against good grammar skills? By the way, you said that you just said you watched the channel, then how the hell do you know if FOX showed the war demonstrations or not (which they did) .

FOXNews presents the news with a centrist-right slant, there is nothing extreme about the channel. It mainly has conservative hosts while CNN, PMSNBC, and the major networks have mainly liberal hosts. The reason why liberals hate FOX News Channel is so hated by liberals is because it gives a different view on things--no longer does television news just have to be presented by liberal point-of-view.

As for the reason for its success? Statistics show that conservatives watch far more news programs than their liberal counterparts. When FOX News became more widely availible all the conservatives switched to a channel that represented their views--thus sucking the conservative audience away from CNN and PMSNBC.

And yes, FOX News is the most successful news network. Nary a day goes by when four of the top rated shows aren't from FOX News.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Hamfist

Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:15 pm

If we didn't have CNN, we wouldn't need FOX!

MaverickM11

Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:17 pm

"Fox is the most biases network out there"

Yawn. Why don't you take a look at www.foxnews.com right now and list everything that is so biased.
E pur si muove -Galileo

VectorVictor

Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:26 pm

Alpha Oh, give me a break, man. Don't patronize me.

This coming from someone who calls nearly everyone he disagrees with "son", "partner" and "kid"...ad nauseum. Who's patronizing whom?

bravo45

Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:26 pm

As I always say, FOX is running because it reports what a lot of people WANT to hear. End of topic!!!!!!!!

jcs17

Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:30 pm

As I always say, FOX is running because it reports what a lot of people WANT to hear.

Sounds more like Al-Jazeera than Fox News.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

greatansett

Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:47 pm

Jcs17, Im sorry if English is not my first language!!!!!!! Wake up to yourself. I have watched FOX news before and quite often. You cannot deny that fox news has made up stories in the past. ALL the news sources owned by NEWS are nothing but sensational cr@#.

[Edited 2004-06-06 06:54:06]
Ron Paul 2012

dahawaiian

Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:23 pm

I tried to post a topic concerning the fact that Fox was at one time selling a George W. Bush action figure on foxnews.com, however it was apparently deleted. It is terrible of them to masquerade as "Fair and Balanced" even when Mr. Nospin O'Reilly said himself that they slant "a little" to the right.

kevi747

Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:23 pm

I've learned to take everything I see on the Fox News channel with a grain of salt. They're sort of the cheerleaders of the ultra-right.

But I have to admit I like to watch it sometimes. There's always lots of screaming, name-calling, and blaring rock and roll music. It's a real spectacle! It kind of draws you in. Americans, for the most part, have a very short attention span. I think that's why Fox News is so popular here. There's lots of drama to keep it interesting.

Oh yeah, and everyone's very, very angry. I always wonder how they are able to find guests brave enough to appear on a Fox News talk show. Whether you agree with what they're attempting to say or not, its always fun to watch enraged "news anchors" and talk show hosts cut them off midsentence and scream insults at them while they sit frozen and doe-eyed, unable to speak. Classic.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

bravo45

Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:32 pm

Sounds more like Al-Jazeera than Fox News.
I am not very familiar with Al-Jazeera but if your view of Al-Jazeera is assumed right, then I would say they are a mirror image of each other. Sane people agree.

Russophile

Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:49 pm

Feral Fox, as it is apparently the most watch cable news network in the US, just adds credence to the commonly held argument that Americans are ignorant and totally insulated from what is happening in the world at large. It wouldn't be too far off the mark, considering the amount of viewers they receive, and the amount of viewers who get their 'news' exclusively from Feral Fox.

Just look at their international news reporting -- the only things which get reported are from countries where the US has invaded (Afghanistan and Iraq), or where an event has a direct correlation to US policy.

The nature of their 'world' news is "Around the world in 60 seconds", where Americans get to learn about a mass wedding in South Korea, or a cockroach race in the Australian outback. Rivetting, thought provoking and totally relevant stuff right there.

With apologies to those Americans who aren't in the insulated minority, and who do actually have a passport  Big grin

kevi747

Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:19 pm

"The nature of their 'world' news is "Around the world in 60 seconds", where Americans get to learn about a mass wedding in South Korea, or a cockroach race in the Australian outback. "

That's hilarious!! It's so true! I really can't decide who to be more annoyed with: the morons who devour this crap they call "news", or the media who feeds it to them. I do have to say that Fox News isn't solely to blame though. (Although they're by far the worst.)

But watch any local news channel in any US city and its as though the legitimate world stops at our borders. Many Americans have no concept of a larger world to the north, south, or across the oceans. Journalistic television is an oxymoron in America. The only way to get a broader view of things is to watch BBC Worldnews on Public Television.

PS: But don't forget about all the excellent, indepth, hard-hitting entertainment and celebrity news we get.  Insane

zak

Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:30 pm

fox is a pretty impressive network. everything on fox is so carefully selected that i can only have, technically speaking, the utmost respect for whoever is responsible for it.
with technically i do mean by the perfection that has been achieved in feeding a certain target audience with a certain agenda while still making them think that they are presented facts and actually make up their mind on their own. there must be a bunch of rather bright psychologically trained people calling the shots at fox, everything is so perfectly matched sometimes it seems surreal how fox always manages to find the thin line between presenting carefully selected topics in a matter that will fit their agenda in a such propagandistic way that you would think noone would fall for it, to just spice it up with the bit of token "left wing dribble" to give the viewers the fair and balanced feeling.

fox often reminds me of the KKK member that says he isnt racist because he has this black friend aka "token n."
this typical euphemism based behaviour is very typical for the conservative part of the north american population these days though. reality is being skewed in a fashin that makes people actually say the most racist things yet actually manage to sell it as moderate view by using euphemisms while in the same shot appeasing lower instincts and feelings. something fox really mastered, and something mr murdoch tries to influence world politics with. one can only hope that this old sick bastard joins one of his buddies soon.
10=2

VectorVictor

Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:38 pm

Well, one thing is certain, Fox's detractors on this board sure must spend a lot time watching the network to be so ready to "rapid-fire" their critiques of its programming. Admit you watch, or shut the heck up.

...just adds credence to the commonly held argument that Americans are ignorant and totally insulated from what is happening in the world at large...

Posting generalizations seems to be the tact of those who have no credible argument in the first place. But, don't let me deter you from letting the world know you are a dolt.

ushermittwoch

Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:02 am

Fox "News" most certainly is very entertaining. At least for people that know that their "news" are totally biased and full of assumptions.

I am still waiting for the material that Bill O'Reilly claimed to have found that showed that Saddam bought politicians in France, Russia and Germany to oppose the immoral and criminal war and invasion in Iraq.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

BREmer

Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:46 am

I think Fox News is pretty much the tabloid channel of the US. MSNBC and CNN try to be a bit more serious, while Fox is trying to broadcast what the average Joe on the street wants to hear.
I can't stand Fox News at all, but I have to admit I love the Fox network for hosting the Simpsons.  Big grin
Does anybody remember the episode where Krusty becomes a Republican congressman? They show a candidate debate on Fox News. While Krusty sits in front of a giant American flag, the democrat is in front of a grey wall, with the image constantly turning over and somebody drawing devil's horns to his forehead. Big grin I was surprised they allowed this to be aired on Fox.

Best regards
Lukas

Russophile

Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:56 am

Posting generalizations seems to be the tact of those who have no credible argument in the first place. But, don't let me deter you from letting the world know you are a dolt.

It is no generalisation. It is undeniable that the average American Joe Schmoe is ignorant and insulated from the world at large. Want proof of this? Look no further than the airliners.net forums Big grin

I am still waiting for the material that Bill O'Reilly claimed to have found that showed that Saddam bought politicians in France, Russia and Germany to oppose the immoral and criminal war and invasion in Iraq.

Keep on waiting. O'Reilly is the type of person who participates in hit and run 'journalism', and whom realises that his average viewer has a 10 second attention span, and doesn't remember such things -- unless it is a damned liberal who is responsible.

I think Fox News is pretty much the tabloid channel of the US. MSNBC and CNN try to be a bit more serious, while Fox is trying to broadcast what the average Joe on the street wants to hear.

It's the National Enquirer of the TV news. Sure it's eyecatching, and somewhat entertaining, but no-one in their right mind would take anything it says seriously.

Alpha 1

Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:01 am

I have to laugh when those Fox Fans say they're just like any other network. When you have one of their anchors, after the results of the '02 Midterm elections saying that Fox could take a lot of credit for the GOP suceesses, and when one of their talking heads yesterday (as related to me by someone else on this board) says that the greatest way for the American people to honor Ronald Reagan is to vote for George W. Bush in November, can you SERIOUSLY tell me, with a straight face, that this is an unbiased network?

It's not. It's there for one reason: to be a PR arm for the conservative and ultra-conservative cause. When I turn on other news, like ABC or CNN, the only other one, lately, that seems to have slanted openly against Bush, in watching them, is ABC. I don't see the kind of partisanship that exists at Fox in any other network, to the extreme I see it any time I flip on Fox. And I don't watch Fox often, but God as my witness, it never takes more than 5 minutes to see them taking open sides on issues. I don't see that anywhere else.

So those who say it's just a "center-left" network, that tellls news just like everyone else, they're not being honest with themselves. They're not. They're a PR wing of conservatives, in the same way Rush is.

COAB767

Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:52 am

I hate Fox. I think they try too hard to be the best news station.
Continental Micronesia: "Fly With The Warmth Of Paradise"

FDXmech

Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:55 am

>>>It is no generalisation. It is undeniable that the average American Joe Schmoe is ignorant and insulated from the world at large. Want proof of this? Look no further than the airliners.net forums. <<<

As undeniable as the average wannabe Russian (actually a frustrated croc Dundee) is insulated and ignorant of the U.S.
Oops I forgot, you're a world renown expert on applying the double standard Smile
You're only as good as your last departure.

Continental

Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:45 am

Perhaps L.1011 should read "Lies, and the Lying Liars who Tell Them."

And yes, Al knows more than you do, so don't even try!

ConcordeBoy

Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:31 am

I found that it bashed the French to much

...is such a thing possible?! I've been trying to achieve that status for years  Laugh out loud
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

N6376M

Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:43 am

Part of the problem stems from the fact that people are perceiving and therefore judging THE FACTOR and similar Fox programing as news. Even the people who run those shows admit that they are commentary and not news.

kevi747

Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:50 am

"Admit you watch, or shut the heck up."

Vector, we've admitted that already. (My comment from above: "But I have to admit I like to watch it sometimes.")

Otherwise, how could we have formed an opinion about their programming, much less be able to comment on it?

nicedream

Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:04 am

How something like this could even be considered newsworthy, or anything short of a big Republican rah-rah session, is beyond me.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,84747,00.html

VS340

Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:52 am

How something like this could even be considered newsworthy, or anything short of a big Republican rah-rah session, is beyond me.

Yikes......I dont know what else to say

Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:56 am

"How something like this could even be considered newsworthy, or anything short of a big Republican rah-rah session, is beyond me.

Now that explains why he was replaced... he ran away with his groupies! Big grin

L.1011

Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:10 am

Continental,

Al Franken is the lying liar. He said he would leave America if Bush was elected. He's unfortuntely still here. I'm dissapointed.

Alpha 1

Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:04 pm

Yes everyone, listen to L.1011. I mean, he's such a old-handed sage at world and national events. His whole 15 years of life experience should put the rest of us to shame, and we should never question his outlook. Just nod your heads in agreement at his infinate wisdom on all things.

NWA742

Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:08 pm

Yes everyone, listen to L.1011. I mean, he's such a old-handed sage at world and national events. His whole 15 years of life experience should put the rest of us to shame, and we should never question his outlook. Just nod your heads in agreement at his infinate wisdom on all things.

Yeah but at least he's smart enough to know that Al Franken is just as much of an idiot scumbag as Michael Moore

Big thumbs up

Big grin

-NWA742

[Edited 2004-06-08 05:09:24]

dl021

Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:15 pm

Alpha 1 Do you really thinkthat FNC all that conservative? I know they hire announcers who are probably more middle of the road, and a greater percentage of conservatives than CNN or some of the other news outlets, but are COlmes, or Van Susteren, or Chris Wallace, or Rivera conservative? Maybe the difference is that there really is an effort to show all the news. The news seems to be presented and then time is allowed for personal opinions, and on the shows that are out and out view point show, both sides seem to get time. I notice on CNN that if there is a panel of guest analysts, columnists, etc. that CNN seems to have three, two lib and one con. You know, FOx usually does thge same thing.

ConcordeBoy, Dogging the French is like dogging a liberal, they assume their moral and intellectual superiority over you and tell everyone that you are too uneducated to be able to offer any kind of intelligent thought, so it would be best ot ignore you until you go away. I am so happy that there are people like that who are also willing ot decide what is best for my money, children and future, heck they even want to tell me what to think..isn't that considerate?
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Continental

Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:06 pm

L.1011, perhaps the next lesson in school is when to recognize a joke from reality.

Nice try, but no dice.

L.1011

Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:30 am

I'm glad that he is indeed stupid enough to be serious. Unfortuntely he didn't keep his promise.

Continental

Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:33 am

"Unfortuntely he didn't keep his promise"

Are you talking about Al saying he'd leave the USA if Bush got elected?? What's with you and not being able to comprehend what I wrote. Another thing common amongst republicans, they disregard anything against them and continue on or try to cover it up...  Insane