B747-437B
Topic Author

UN Condemns Canada For Deporting Terrorist

Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:00 am

The United Nations Human Rights Committee has condemned Canada for deporting an Iranian assassin who was apprehended in the country after making a false claim for refugee status.

Although it took the Canadian government nine years to deport Iranian intelligence agent Mansour Ahani, the Geneva-based committee ruled that the Canadian Supreme Court was too quick to send him back to Tehran in 2002 and has instructed Canada to pay compensation to the terrorist.

http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=2e6ba1c7-8dfe-4f07-aada-ae43be9349ba
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

Duce50Boom

RE: UN Condemns Canada For Deporting Terrorist

Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:02 am

Just goes to show you how the US is COMPLETELY wrong for ignoring the UN on occasion......

Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:13 am

Well, Canada wasn't really condemned for deporting him, but rather for the way in which they deported him. I'm not gonna argue that it didn't take too long (9 years is more than enough I think), but the whole point is that, according to the UNHRC, the rules were not followed to the letter.

Actually, Canada is not even accused of being of bad faith, only of being a little too quick on one part of the process, even going as far as to partly blame the accused for those delays.

I know what you'll say: COMMON SENSE! I agree on that. But in a world such as the one we live in today, I'd rather have an overly nitpicky Commitee than a, let's say creative one. On the other hand, they could start addressing more pressing matters than this one.

And, yes, I do think that the UN should clean up its act and boot some countries out of the UNHRC.

b757300

Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:38 am

Some of the members of the United Nations Human Rights Committee:

China
Congo
Cuba
France
Indonesia
Mauritania
Nigeria
Sudan
Zimbabwe

The U.S. walked out in protest of Sudan and several other nations being on the committee.

UN=Terrorist Lovers INC.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

airplay

Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:59 am

"We're taking it seriously," said Huguette Shouldice, a spokeswoman for the Canada Border Services Agency. "We're looking at it, seeing if there's anything we can learn from it and use. However, we feel that the Canadian courts have ruled on this."

I think that says it all....

Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:01 pm

May we know what problem you have with France being in the committee? No quarrel over the others, as said before.

BTW, your signature rules, but who is Rindt?

aloges

Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:44 pm

"May we know what problem you have with France being in the committee?"

His problem is France itself, he can't live with the fact that some "chease-eating surrender monkeys" that ought to be forever thankful for being liberated in WW2 and thus do everything his beloved leader George Bush II supposes them to do dare to disagree with the politics of that beloved leader.

This is Rob Rindt's profile.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

artsyman

Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:31 pm

I think it is funny how the UN basically complain about this stuff, yet never issue commentary at all about any middle eastern rights abuses. I mean we are talking Canada for god sake, talk about a peaceful lovely country...

and they wonder why the US doesn't listen to their opinions...