N6376M

Just How Gay Are Canadians?

Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:24 am

According to their census bureau, just 1%

We know that's got to be wrong.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040616/GAY16/TPNational/Canada

B747-437B

RE: Just How Gay Are Canadians?

Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:40 am

[Edited 2004-06-16 23:42:29]

[Edited 2004-06-17 02:26:03]
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

LHMark

Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:41 am

And to think I saw the entire 1% on my last trip to Toronto. What a coincidence!
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

b757300

Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:42 am

When the plaintiffs filed briefs in Lawrence v. Texas, they admitted that the 10% number so often quoted is totally bogus. The actual percent in the U.S. is probably less than 3% and even that uses a very liberal classification of what is a homosexual is.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:45 am

Aint no Gays up here, Honey! Uh uuuuuh. Watch the hand, bitch, watch the hand. Givin ya serious attitude. Listen, Why the hell do you think the goddamned Beaver is our official national animal, Eh? We LOVE Beaver, baby,
even lots of Canadian women.......uh.......er..... Why the hell do you think record numbers of Canucks travel to Busch Gardens, Florida, year in, year out, day in, day out, in....out.....in....out......yes.....y e s.........YES!!!

MaverickM11

Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:46 am

"The actual percent in the U.S. is probably less than 3% and even that uses a very liberal classification of what is a homosexual is."

It's just about impossible to get an accurate count since probably the majority are loathe to admit it to themselves, let alone anyone else.
E pur si muove -Galileo

jutes85

Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:48 am

We are one of the Gayest countries in the world, but I'm not so sure about homosexuality.
nothing

ArgInMIA

Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:08 am

I'm shure its much higher.. such a big country with so little people living in it? You guys need to F*ck more !!
Alto.. Mucho mas alto.. hasta la cumbre

L-188

Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:17 am

Maybe south of 60, but the Candians in the west and the north, generally aren't.

But I do note that there is a Canadian Forces unit called the, "Princess pats"
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Horus

Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:44 am

Canadi>nboy, that's great!  Big thumbs up

I was pissing myself laughing while reading your post, especially the Beaver part  Big thumbs up

[Edited 2004-06-17 01:45:43]
EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

vaporlock

Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:08 am

Canadi>nboy, your too much!!! LOL!! But hey some of us Canadian ladies are proud to have a "Real Canadian Beaver"!! Why not!

Phyllis  Wink/being sarcastic

[Edited 2004-06-17 02:11:15]

Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:41 am

He said Beaver... Huh Huh... Huh Huh

airplay

Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:23 am

I'm shure its much higher.. such a big country with so little people living in it? You guys need to F*ck more !!

Umm...and what does that have to do with being gay?

jaysit

Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:06 am

"even that uses a very liberal classification of what is a homosexual is"

Well, what is the "real" definition? I'm sure you must know how to define a real homosexual given all your experience in this matter.

But what difference does it make if there are 1 million 'mos or 1000 'mos?

Sorry, I guess it does. Toronto is nowhere nearly as drop-dead fabu-frickin-lous as New York !
Atheism is Myth Understood.

L-188

Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:13 am

You guys need to F*ck more !!

I think they do plenty of that south of the border, down Alberta way.

My grandmother was the youngest of 10 or 12...I forget.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

RT514

Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:50 am

Interesting topic and I was bored, so I did some research.

How gay is Canada?
Apparently not as gay as our US neighbors, perhaps...

According to http://www.gaydemographics.org, Canada has 0.48% same-sex couples and the USA has 0.99% same-sex couples. Apparently DC is highest at 5.14% and North Dakota is lowest, at 0.47%

Granted, these are statistics of same sex couples, not a percentage of people who admit to being gay. However, it would have at least some value at getting a sense of the percentage of homosexual population. I'm not overly familiar with gay culture, but I wouldn't see any reason why homosexuals in either country would be significantly more willing or reluctant to admitting that they are in a same-sex relationship.

Incidentally, in case anyone is wondering why I provided percentages for Canada and the USA, it's because they are the only two countries that had percentages listed on that site.

N6376M

Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:56 am

Based on RT514's post, who can now doubt that life inside the beltway is different than that outside? 5.14% means that more than 1 in every 20 couples in DC are same sex. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

ConcordeBoy

Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:55 am

According to http://www.gaydemographics.org, Canada has 0.48% same-sex couples and the USA has 0.99% same-sex couples.

That's an even weaker and more intangible "method" of measure than percentages...

...particularly if you'll consider the enormous frequency with which gay males enter/exist "relationships"
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

kevi747

Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:39 am

You guys sure know (and care) a lot about gay people. Maybe you could teach me a thing or two.

I think the number of gays is much higher than most people think. Straight guys and some straight girls just don't know how to tell who's gay and who's not. (Unless someone's an obvious flaming queen or a butch diesel-dyke, of course.) When I was younger I felt like there were so few gays in the world. But now that I've been out for a while I see them everywhere. Sometimes its a little hard to tell though, because straight guys are emulating us so much.

It's very interesting for me to read responses on here, because I've lived in NYC for 6 years and I forget how common Americans feel about gay people. Having said that, I'm so glad I got hired as a flight attendant and was able to escape life in Fort Worth, Texas. The world I live in now is so different. Everyone I meet (gay, straight, bi, whatever) is so cool!! Now I only stick to the big cities (New York, Miami, Los Angeles, DC, etc) where I can be amongst open-minded people.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

LY4XELD

Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:23 am

Everyone I meet (gay, straight, bi, whatever) is so cool!! Now I only stick to the big cities (New York, Miami, Los Angeles, DC, etc) where I can be amongst open-minded people.

You gotta know where to go to find the open minded people. Being originally from New York, I can tell you that there are plenty of people there who are not open minded. Now I live in Dallas/Fort Worth and know that there are plenty of open minded people here too...you just have to know where to be!

And speaking of Canadians...my experience in Toronto and Vancouver have been that there are gays everywhere! Or maybe its that they know how to dress...I can't tell...my 'dar is always off when I'm in Canada. I am a fan of those Canadians, though!
That's why we're here.

CXA330300

Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:57 am

I'm reporting this disgustingly stupid post to a moderator.
AC/AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/US*/CO*/FI/BA/IB/AF/SK/LX/Sabena*/TK/LY/SA/MN/SW/AM/CE*/CX/CA/MU/JL/SQ/TG/MH/KA/5J

N6376M

Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:37 am

CXA330300 is the nerdy hall monitor. Grow up you wuss. If you don't like the thread don't read it.

CXA330300

Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:28 am

Too bad...action taken. Maybe you should watch your mouth in the first place.
I don't like racists.
AC/AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/US*/CO*/FI/BA/IB/AF/SK/LX/Sabena*/TK/LY/SA/MN/SW/AM/CE*/CX/CA/MU/JL/SQ/TG/MH/KA/5J

RT514

Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:13 am

That's an even weaker and more intangible "method" of measure than percentages...

Don't be presumptuous, ConcordeBoy. I did not attempt to measure anything and neither promoted nor discounted any "method" of anything. I merely pointed out some statistics that I came across. I also pointed out in my post that I am not overly familiar with homosexual culture and therefore I did not intend to interpret anything from my findings. Interesting nonetheless, considering the significant difference (greater than twice as many, 0.48% vs. 0.99%) between 2 countries that share so many similarities.

I'm reporting this disgustingly stupid post to a moderator.

Interesting that this thread stirs up emotion within you, CXA330300. N6376m is right. If you don't like the thread, don't read it.

[Edited 2004-06-18 03:22:17]

ConcordeBoy

Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:53 am

I don't like racists.

Bully for you;
though I challenge you to cite an example of "racism", perhaps the most misused term in the English language, on this thread.

I did not attempt to measure anything and neither promoted nor discounted any "method" of anything.

Get a grip: who says you did?  Laugh out loud
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

RT514

Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:43 am

Get a grip: who says you did?

Just wanted to make sure that the information I shared was interpreted as just that -- information.  Smile

Further to North Dakota being the lowest state in terms of number of declared same-sex couples...
I lived there for almost 5 years and I learned that it is still illegal for straight couples to cohabitate there. Good thing I got married when I did!  Laugh out loud

Just thought that might be interesting. Bearing that in mind, I could see why same sex couples would be even more reluctant to declare their relationship, hence the percentage there is most probably underepresented.

N6376M

Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:01 pm

CXA330300

Who the hell is being racist?

Grow some hair on your balls and develop a thicker skin otherwise go back to your girl scout meeting.

gigneil

Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:19 pm

The actual percent in the U.S. is probably less than 3% and even that uses a very liberal classification of what is a homosexual is.

Its actually widely held that the 10% is low, and is skewed low by the unwillingness of middle America to self identify.

If you include bisexuality most cultures will plot a perfect bell curve in percentages of population that fall into the categories accorded by the Kinsey scale only slightly offset to favor heterosexuality, with most people being clustered around the numbers 2 and 3.

N

yyz717

Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:28 pm

I agree with Gigneil. When something like 1/3 of men are brought to orgasm at some point in their lives by another male, and something like 1/2 of all men dabble in m2m fun (again, at least once in their lives), it suggests that perhaps many people are bi-sexual or bi-curious (pan-sexual or omni-sexual, if you will), rather than strictly straight or gay. I argue sexuality is a spectrum, or continuum, rather than a binary toggle. Few things in life are black & white.

For the record, I have a gf and am straight.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Dash8King

Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:02 pm

CXA330300

Who the hell is being racist?

Grow some hair on your balls and develop a thicker skin otherwise go back to your girl scout meeting.

LMAO!!

Yyz717 where do you get those stats? They seem quite high.

CXA330300

Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:09 pm

Some people have got to learn how to keep their toes in line.

Racist-well, sort of. You're implying all Canadians are bad, which they are not. I think I will go and talk with people with brains.

As for you:

Kosamek (ask an Arab member to translate for you, I might have written it wrong, anyhow)

JGPH1A

Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:30 pm

CXA330300 re - You're implying all Canadians are bad.

No - he's implying that SOME Canadians are homosexual. If, to your mind, homosexuality is a Bad Thing, that is your opinion. Taunting other contributors with poorly transliterated Arabic insults is not helpful.

Vat kalm, kind !
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

MD-90

Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:50 pm

Its actually widely held that the 10% is low, and is skewed low by the unwillingness of middle America to self identify.

I believe it is widely held that 10% is high, and that nationally (in the US) it's more like 2-3%. That's for practicing homosexuals.

But I have also heard of stats like 1/3 of all guys have had some kind of sexual contact of sorts with other guys. When I think of frat initiations and the stupid things people do when they get drunk, it wouldn't really surprise me. That doesn't mean they're gay, though, or fit into any bell curve.

CXA330300, perhaps you meant sexist?

N6376M

Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:49 pm

It seems to me that CXA330300 couldn't find his balls with both hands and a flashlight.

Wa wa wa! Somebody said something unpleasant on a message board. I'm telling.

I'll bet ten dollars thatCXA330300 regularly gets his ass kicked in school for being the class tattle tale.

airplay

Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:37 pm

I agree with Gigneil. When something like 1/3 of men are brought to orgasm at some point in their lives by another male, and something like 1/2 of all men dabble in m2m fun (again, at least once in their lives), it suggests that perhaps many people are bi-sexual or bi-curious (pan-sexual or omni-sexual, if you will), rather than strictly straight or gay.

What planet do you live on? What is the source of your wisdom YYZ717?

I argue sexuality is a spectrum, or continuum, rather than a binary toggle. Few things in life are black & white.

You can “argue” all you want. The census didn’t ask if you were vegisexual. It clearly deals with homosexuality versus bisexuality versus heterosexuality and not “other” sexual alignments.

For the record, I have a gf and am straight.

GF? Good friend? Gay Friend? Gargantuan Foreskin? It appears that acronyms are also not a binary toggle….

Smile

Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:40 pm

"I agree with Gigneil. When something like 1/3 of men are brought to orgasm at some point in their lives by another male, and something like 1/2 of all men dabble in m2m fun (again, at least once in their lives), it suggests that perhaps many people are bi-sexual or bi-curious (pan-sexual or omni-sexual, if you will), rather than strictly straight or gay. I argue sexuality is a spectrum, or continuum, rather than a binary toggle. Few things in life are black & white."

LOL! Hey, Neil! You sound like the Professor on "Gilligan's Island" giving one of his lectures to the castaways!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Skipper: "That was great, Professor, but can you translate that into English?"

"Few things in life are black & white."

Beg to differ! Why, today, I am wearing a GORGEOUS Mexx white cotton
button up casual shirt, with a high collar.....it's stunning. My dress pants are midnight black, straight legged. My shoes are Italian black hard leather, and
let me tell YOU, the look is F A B U L O U S! So summery casual, yet tres
masculine sexy. *Big Wink*

Besides that, the first season of "Gilligan's Island" (CBS 1964-1967) was filmed in B & W.

*SIGH* Well, it's time for my second morning Cafe Americano and my biscotti.

And by the way, why do you feel it's so imperative you get across the fact you're straight? I thought you were a much more secure guy than that.
I mean, really, why would you give, pardon my language, a rats ass how people perceive you.

I posted my I don't understand why Gay/Not Gay remains an issue for many people.

yyz717

Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:21 am

What planet do you live on? What is the source of your wisdom YYZ717?

I read it in the Toronto Shopping News I think (or was it the Hiedelberg Shopping News?). Why? What are you worried about Airplay? Feeling left out?

It clearly deals with homosexuality versus bisexuality versus heterosexuality and not “other” sexual alignments.

Well, I think many people float around which makes them not strictly bi, straight, or gay.

Why, today, I am wearing a GORGEOUS Mexx white cotton button up casual shirt, with a high collar.....it's stunning. My dress pants are midnight black, straight legged. My shoes are Italian black hard leather, and let me tell YOU, the look is F A B U L O U S! So summery casual, yet tres masculine sexy. *Big Wink*

You're such a metrosexual John. Sickening. I'm in a Hugo Boss black suit, white dress shirt, red tie, flat toe lace-up dress shoes. Very Bay Street.

And by the way, why do you feel it's so imperative you get across the fact you're straight?

In case anyone interpreted my stats as some sort of "coming out". It was not. I simply believe that up to 50% of the population is bi-sexual or bi-curious. I've been hit on by as many married men as women in the past 10 years -- it's gotta be true.

Besides that, the first season of "Gilligan's Island" (CBS 1964-1967) was filmed in B & W.

I remember at the age of 10 dreaming of a 3-some (with MA and Ginger, for the record).

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

jaysit

Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:45 am

Can't speak for the fashion sense of Canadians, but Europeans certainly dress better than we do in the United States. Case in point: Munich. Beautiful city, beautiful people all togged out to the nines, who would set off a gaydar set to an American set point virtually all the time.

Frankly, having walked by the recent gay "pride" parade this past Sunday in Washington, DC, I wondered just where exactly was this so-called heightened fashion sense among gay Americans that the media keep blabbering about. There was none to be seen. Well, it could be that they're all government bureaucrats (but thats a different story).

Straight Germans have more gay fashionista sense than most gay Americans do. Gosh, even the men in Dubrovnik do. Whatever the numbers. 2-3% (thats still over 8 million gays in the US of A) or 10% (which in all probability is an inflated number).

gigneil

Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:48 am

I'm wearing Abercrombie shorts, Diesel underwear, and a Banana Republic polo.

So while my ensemble may not be fabulous, I assure you it speaks my mind.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

N

jaysit

Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:49 am

Diesel underwear alone makes you more uber-fabulous than any German metrosexual !

Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:58 am

"You're such a metrosexual John. Sickening. I'm in a Hugo Boss black suit, white dress shirt, red tie, flat toe lace-up dress shoes. Very Bay Street."

Yeah Baby, that's me, and I'm gonna scream it from the rooftops. Hugo Boss, ya say? You have excellent taste. I have both a black and an olive green Boss 2 piece suit, but my favourite designer (for suits) is Valentino......I have a black Valentino, and the cut on that suit is superlative.

"In case anyone interpreted my stats as some sort of "coming out". It was not. I simply believe that up to 50% of the population is bi-sexual or bi-curious.

Do you know how many people assume I'm gay simply because I was a flight attendant? I get a kick out of it, actually.

Personally, I believe far more than 50% of the population is bi-sexual or bi-curious, there are a lot of men and women who absolutely fear expressing who they are. In my life experience, I'd even say there are far far more gays and lesbians than we know (1% in Canada? Give me a break). I say live and let live, screw the hang-ups and the organized religious bullshit pressure and just be who you are. One of my 3 brothers is gay, I have a gay male cousin, one of my best buddies is gay, and next door to us is a great gay male couple who throw the most awesome parties with a great mix of gays and straights who all get along and respect one another. It makes NO difference to me what someones sexual orientation is. If I was gay, I'd say it and not hide it.

"I've been hit on by as many married men as women in the past 10 years -- it's gotta be true."

LOL, yeah, so have I, and ya know what? I find it flattering, I really do. I used to get hit on by male & female passengers in my FA days. I can't tell you how many times straight guys I know are insulted (they'll never admit it, but I can read it in their eyes) when a gay guy does not consider them their type.
We get a kick out of that.

It's too bad many "straight" men are so bloody homophobic and insecure about their own masculinity. I have read some pretty ignorant comments on this site by straight guys who need to grow up, mature and respect the differences in others. They're missing out on meeting many many great gay men and women and cultivating wonderful friendships.

Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:59 am

Ahh gayness and straightness is a sliding scale, there is a half way point in between bi and straight and bi and gay. There is no way only 1% of Canadians are gay, Id say its around 7%-10% depending on how strictly you define gayness. And anyway who gives fuck.

gigneil

Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:00 am

Diesel underwear alone makes you more uber-fabulous than any German metrosexual !

I'm wearing Diesel sandals, too.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

N

airplay

Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:03 am

I read it in the Toronto Shopping News I think (or was it the Hiedelberg Shopping News?).

Ahhh...both great sources. Of kindling...

Smile

Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:03 am

Gay, bi, bi-curious, straight, what the hell people, what does it matter? Live and let live and love one another.

yyz717

Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:47 am

Gay, bi, bi-curious, straight, what the hell people, what does it matter?

Not one iota.

Diesel underwear

I also wear diesel underwear. Not all the time of course.

I am wearing a GORGEOUS Mexx white cotton button up casual shirt, with a high collar.....it's stunning. My dress pants are midnight black, straight legged. My shoes are Italian black hard leather

Going to a funeral? Hehehe.

Dash8King

Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:03 am

Well you fooled me Canadi>nBoy, to be honest I thought you were as gay as they come. Also you and Neil are losing me with this fashion stuff.

Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:22 am

"As gay as they come"........hmmm.......aw, never mind, it's too easy.

Dash8, I have a pretty wacked/wicked sense of humour and love to express it. I also find it wryly amusing how people here can be so quick to judge others based what they read only, and also based on non-personal contact. It goes to show you the power of the written word, and how the human brain assimilates text. So, if people think I'm gay without the benefit of meeting me in person, then that's their perrogative. We may think we "know" people on this site, but until we have the opportunity to physically meet and enhance communication via body and facial language, then we truly don't "know" the other person. I find it rather difficult to get a grasp on some individuals character/personality here. For instance, YYZ717 would no doubt be a very different person in my eyes should I ever meet him. The same goes for others on here I have communicated with, via the internet.

It really doesn't matter to me one bit how anyone perceives me. I know who and what I am.

So, be VERY careful how you perceive someone on the net; chances are they're not at all what your mind has formulated.

Cheers!

PS: We're losing you with the fashion stuff, eh? Heavens to Betsy! Girl,
get your ass to a fashion guru.

Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:30 am

"I am wearing a GORGEOUS Mexx white cotton button up casual shirt, with a high collar.....it's stunning. My dress pants are midnight black, straight legged. My shoes are Italian black hard leather."

"Going to a funeral? Hehehe."

Why you.........you........Bay Street Bitch! My claws are out and sharpened, honey. Heheheheh. Naw, what are ya talking about? This outfit is classy and chic, it's not funereal at all. Besides, the Mexx top is tight cut short-sleeved.

You wear Diesel Uber underwear? Man, I can't wear Diesel at all, I find the sizes and cuts too damn tight.

yyz717

Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:52 am

Besides, the Mexx top is tight cut short-sleeved.

That's very last year. You walk around Bloor West Village in this garb? Yikes.

I can't wear Diesel at all, I find the sizes and cuts too damn tight.

Well, it's summer. Good time to go commando anyway.