ryanb741

England Vs Switzerland

Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:52 pm

OK guys, predictions for the game (no point posting GKirk - we know you will say England will lose regardless of their opponent).

Well, the Swiss are no pushovers and there have been shock results in the tournament so far but I am going for England to win by 2 goals. I reckon the Swiss will miss Vogel and whilst the English media have been saying England may suffer with the heat, Switzerland is hardly a nation of beach bums and surfers so they will feel the heat exactly the same.

I'm going for England 3 - Switzerland 1
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

MYT332

RE: England Vs Switzerland

Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:54 pm

England 4 - Switzerland 2

On a side note:

In order to assist other motorists in identifying potentially dangerous
drivers, it's now compulsory for anyone with a lower than average intellect
to display a warning flag, comprising of a red cross on a white background,
attached to the top of at least one door of their vehicle. For drivers of
exceptionally low intellect, additional flags are required.

One Life, Live it.

Banco

Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:58 pm

Well, as I've said elsewhere, I've got tickets for England - Croatia, and if England don't win, I'm not going.

Yes, England should win today, but that's not necessarily how it pans out. Nervous already.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

JGPH1A

Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:00 pm

Re: For drivers of exceptionally low intellect, additional flags are required.

There must be some exceptionally dense drivers in the High Wycombe area, then  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ryanb741

LOL! So true - in general anyone with a flag outside their house or especially on their car has intellectual problems, but when this is combined with a shaved head and tatoos the effects are exarcebated
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Alessandro

Draw 1-1, Beckham scores and dedicate it by tattoeing Victorias face on his buttocks....
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

JGPH1A

Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:02 pm

Re: by tattoeing Victorias face on his buttocks....

Should be a nice fit, seeing as Victoria' got a face like a smacked arse.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

alphafloor

Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:54 pm

The team of Switzerland is one of the weakest teams of this Euro. Marking a goal against England will be veeeery difficult. Rooney is really an impressive player and it is only 19 years old !! But… who knows…

England 3 : Switzerland 0
Whatever

alphafloor

Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:57 pm

I must add that Swiss football is a really good idea  Wink/being sarcastic
Whatever

FlyingColours

Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:10 pm

JGPH1A - I take it I am not the only one who dislikes her.

Flags on cars! - Here we have flags on BUSSES! - Not stuck out of a passenger window either, the Drivers have put them on the windscreen, we have stickers, cardboard flags and a variety of flags - Thats First Manchester Busses.

I'd say England 5 - Switzerland 2 (but I'll be in work so I won't get to see/hear it).

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

Pe@rson

Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:26 pm

Football is good because of its unpredictable nature.

Switzerland are not well-known for its football, so we should, in theory, win. But, as aforementioned, football is often unpredictable, so who knows what will happen?

I naturally support England - even though they are not continously good - so I do hope we win.

I'm guessing the result will be England 1 Switzerland 0.

The thing I find most funny is that Britain created so many sports but is bad to pretty bad at the majority of them!
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Banco

Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:31 pm

We're not that bad, Pe@rson. As a nation, we tend to spread ourselves quite thinly across a huge range of sports, which means we tend to be middling at a great many, rather than very good at a few.

But the rugby team are world champions, the cricket team are improving rapidly, and the football team at least have a collection of fine players, even if they don't seem to perform as a team very well.

Now tennis on the other hand...  Big grin

Pe@rson

Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:57 pm

Yeah, we're normally good at rugby, but we're quite inconsistent with cricket - sometimes we win, other times we lose by a long shot. It'd be far better if we concentrated on a few sports instead of participating - and generally under-performing - in many. I wonder how we're doing in bowls. LOL.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Banco

Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:01 pm

Cricket team have won six of their last seven tests! Not a bad record at all, recently.

Pe@rson

Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:04 pm

"Recently" being the key word. If we could perform very well all the time, instead of only sometimes, then my God we'd be good. Let's hope the trend of us winning continues!

Anyway, England 1 Switzerland 0.

[Edited 2004-06-17 16:09:13]

IwantaBBJ

Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:01 am

I'd say it's gonna be a draw... 1:1 I guess

Mike

9V-SPF

Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:33 am

My prediction is

England 2 Switzerland 1

although I would like to see a few more goals.
David Beckham will rehabilitate by scoring at least one goal per free-kick.

Andreas

Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:47 am

Ah yes the English Cricket boys won 6 out of their last 7 games...I'm pretty sure this will help Becky and his boys tremendously tonight Big grin Big grin Big grin

Banco you nervousness is virtually oozing out of your post...please calm down, we don't want you to suffer a stroke  Big grin
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

Horus

Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:24 am

We scored a goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!

England 1 Switzerland 0
EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

racko

Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:38 am

Where the hell did you find that Rooney? He doesn't just look like a hooligan, he also behaves like one. What a disgusting attack against Stiel, he would've deserved to be sent off.

Switzerland played well in the first 20 minutes, but failed to become dangerous in front of the goal. Best Chance by an almost own-goal by some English player.

Now they got what had to happen, nice assistance by Owen.

Oh, and what a damn fag Beckham is: Before the goal, when he was hit by a Swiss player, screams and goes down like he has been shot. As soon as he realizes that the referee didn't give them a free kick, he stands up and can run. Faggot, you want to be English?

And the English fans deserve to be mentioned as well: As long as Switzerland dominated the game, they were quiet as if they were in a chruch, no support at all. As soon as England scored, they were loud. And now they're booing Stiel - for what? For being brutally fouled by a hooligan?

The Swiss fans are still singing, that's how fans should be. And heck, they're outnumbered 1:4 by the English and still manage to sing louder.

And why is King out? He was the best player in the match vs. France, and now he's the only player from the France game who doesn't play.

Anyway, Switzerland won't come back. They didn't get their act together against Germany after the 1:0 and I doubt they will today. And the Referee and the linesmen are Russian, therefore this is a safe victory for England.

pilot kaz

Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:40 am

GOALLLLLLLLL!!!!!!

3:0 2 ENG-ER-LAND!!!

YAYERS!
-

MYT332

Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:52 am

WOOOOO WE WON!!!!

KISS OUR CHUDDIES SWITZERLAND!
One Life, Live it.

dc-10 levo

Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:58 am

Oh, and what a damn fag Beckham is: Before the goal, when he was hit by a Swiss player, screams and goes down like he has been shot. As soon as he realizes that the referee didn't give them a free kick, he stands up and can run. Faggot, you want to be English?

Who cares? WE WON! WE WON! WE WON! Big grin

DC-10

alphafloor

Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:09 am

Ok, next time ask me for predictions. I was right.
Congratulations to the england team to have won against this weak Switzerland team.

As I always said : Swiss football is definitively a great idea !!
Whatever

NoUFO

Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:18 am

The English team managed to get closer to the day when Germany will wipe them away. Big grin
I support the right to arm bears

EGGD

Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:23 am

Racko - get off your bitter high horse and stop being a prick. I can see a hint of jealousy as you've identified Rooney as being far superior to any German player at the moment. He's only 18 for fucks sake, and I'd like to see you grow up in Liverpool and not be roughed up a bit! He is a great talent and despite being young he plays intelligently and with no fear, which is just what England need. Stop ragging on Beckham as well, in comparison to the WHOLE of the Swiss team he barely dives, I counted 14 times where Frei was on the floor where there was marginal or even no contact on him (the best was when he ran into the area expecting someone to be tracking him, and when the ball was out of reach he dived only to find no defender behind him).

The England fans are more loyal and louder than pretty much any team in the tournement (except Banco Big grin) so don't rag on them either. Did the Germans make a noise when you played The Netherlands? Barely.

Nobody cares if you don't like England, but stop being such a baby about it.

Banco

Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:26 am

Where the hell did you find that Rooney? He doesn't just look like a hooligan, he also behaves like one. What a disgusting attack against Stiel, he would've deserved to be sent off.

What are you talking about? The ball was there to be won. The reason he got a yellow card was because his foot was raised, nothing more or less.

Look, I know you have a downer on Beckham, but at least get it right. That player was Gerrard, not Beckham.

The Swiss fans are still singing, that's how fans should be. And heck, they're outnumbered 1:4 by the English and still manage to sing louder.

Do you only have speakers at one end of the ground? All you could hear all game was the England fans.

And why is King out? He was the best player in the match vs. France, and now he's the only player from the France game who doesn't play.

He's a little unlucky, I agree. But Terry has done it for some time now, and King is just a kid.

Andreas: Banco you nervousness is virtually oozing out of your post...please calm down, we don't want you to suffer a stroke

That obvious eh?  Big grin Yes, indeed very nervous about it. Still, I think it fair to say that England won't have terrified anybody on today's display. Funny really, they played really well against France and lost, and played crap today and won 3-0.

One last thing, I thought the Swiss sending off was really harsh. I'm not sure either of the two tackles was a yellow, let alone getting a red for the two.

Arsenal@LHR

Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:27 am

Poor performance by England, no flow, no creativity, no drive, it will need a vast improvement if England are gonna get anywhere near winning it. But the performance was a secondary issue, what counted was the result, and 3-0 will do everyone fine.

But please, let's do ourselves some justice and start playing some decent football.
In Arsene we trust!!

ryanb741

Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:37 am

Firsty Rooney is 18, not 19. Secondly he had every right to go for the ball but his foot was raised (he made little contact with the goalie) a yellow card was about right. While the Swiss guy was unlucky to be sent off (and it changed the game as 3-0 was harsh on the Swiss) another Swiss player should have received a red card for the terrible foul on Hargreaves. And IMHO the Russian referee was biased against England - he game many fouls to the Swiss when there was no contact.

Racko, grow up. We know you are a member of the anti-England bigots club with GKirk but can't you just admit that Rooney is just an awesome talent? Sure he looks like a public park mugger but fact is that Germany haven't anyone near as talented as him at such a young age, and he is one of the finest 18 year olds in the World right now.

BTW I agree England were poor tonight - they kept giving the ball away and 3-0 was unfair on Switzerland who were equal to England in all areas except in attack. Whilst we were lucky to be 1-0 up, I'm pretty sure everyone will agree we deserved that luck after the bad luck against France. A draw against Croatia should see us qualify now, probably to play Greece in the quarter finals.

racko

Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:48 am

No, I'm not jealous of you having Rooney. I'd like to have Owen or Gerrard, but surely not someone like Rooney.

"The England fans are more loyal and louder than pretty much any team in the tournement"

So why were they so quiet? All you could hear in the first 20 minutes was Hopp Schwyz and Steht auf wenn ihr Schweizer seid. And even after the 2nd (funniest goal of the tournament) and the 3rd goal, it was very quiet.

"Did the Germans make a noise when you played The Netherlands? Barely."

The whole time except 2 or 3 minutes after the equalizer.

"What are you talking about? The ball was there to be won. The reason he got a yellow card was because his foot was raised, nothing more or less."

The ball was in the hands of Stiel, and he had no chance of getting it. Can you imagine what happens when he hits Stiel going full speed with his studs? Stiel treated for a few minutes even though he barely hit his hand, if you take off your England glasses that he would have seriously injured him if had hit him fully.

"Look, I know you have a downer on Beckham, but at least get it right. That player was Gerrard, not Beckham."

It was Beckham. That is, maybe Gerrard and Beckham secretly changed jerseys and Gerrard was playing with BECKHAM written on his back.

"One last thing, I thought the Swiss sending off was really harsh. I'm not sure either of the two tackles was a yellow, let alone getting a red for the two."

For both fouls a yellow was justified, even though a red indeed was a bit harsh. The two fouls together were not even close to the brutality of Rooney's tackle.
The tackle against Hargreaves during the last minutes was bad, too. Müller would've deserved at least a yellow.

Arsenal, even though you're right that it was not an entertaining game to watch, you shouldn't be that harsh on your team. England played smart today, they saved their energy for the games to come. Remember how hot it is during the 17:00 games in Portugal.

ryanb741

Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:55 am

Racko - Rooney is a much better player than Owen and it is difficult to compare him with Gerrard as they play in different positions. But at the moment Rooney is the first player on the England team sheet. Plus just imagine how awesome he will be when he is older and loses a bit more weight. He is the best striker based on performances I have seen at Euro 2004 so far - without him we may not have beaten the Swiss.

ryanb741

Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:58 am

Also Racko, sometimes I think you must watch a different match to the rest of us. Rooney, who is the youngest goalscorer in English football history, scores twice today to become the youngest EVER goalscorer in European Championship history, and yet he is supposedly a rubbish player that Germany wouldn't want. Because Germany are just blessed with awesome strikers like Klose and Bobic?  Big grin

Put it this way, I don't think Rudi Voller would agree with you.....

planespotterx

Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:09 am

I have to say England only got 1 true goal, the other 2 were Own Goals by the swiss goalie, but a good game otherwise, I thought England lacked motivation in some areas, notably midfield and defence, but a good result anyway.
Its not the fall that kills u, its the sudden stop at the end..

aviationmaster

Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:32 am

Rooney is a pig (just look at what he did against Stiel) He plays well but he should get his act together. If he doesn't, he'll have to learn the hard way. I think the red card against Haas was a little hard if you compare what Totti did to the Dane in the 90th minute. But in the end England won fairly.  Smile

racko

Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:39 am

Ryanb741,

I don't question his talent, but I just don't like players who play as if they were in a street fight, willingly accepting that they could badly injure other players. It's a sport for god's sake, and not war.

IwantaBBJ

Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:43 am

3 - 0... >game's finished... We're probably out! The French will probably beat us too, but I'm very proud of the Swiss team and the way they've played in the last two games... We're small but not that small, unlucky in the games but lucky to be there.... And I'm with England from the quarterlies on...

Mike

aviationmaster

Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:44 am

"And IMHO the Russian referee was biased against England - he game many fouls to the Swiss when there was no contact."

As if Beckham never dived... Compairing Haas' foul to Rooneys, I think England was lucky to end the game with 11 men.

aviationmaster

Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:02 am

Croatia 2-1 France

LoL! Who would've thought!!!

chrisdigo

Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:49 am

Croatia 2-2 France

Crying

pelican

First of all congratulation to England. Not the nicest game but in the end 3 important points. England has a decent chance to reach the final, now.

Did the Germans make a noise when you played The Netherlands? Barely.
Obviously you haven't watched this game (or you should consult an ear specialist). The German fans were outnumbered, but they drowned the Dutch fans by far.

Rooney's attack against Stiel was bad. Sure he is the best European player of his age and one of the best European players at all, but he would be even better if he learned how to play fair. He is young, hence he has enough time to do so and he should be still flexible enough.

pelican

RJ100

For the Swiss team it's already an honour to play at the Euro 2004. We played very well against England and 3-0 is a hard result.

England had 4 opportunities and scored 3 times while Switzerland had around ten but did not suceed.

Congratulations to England!

Regards,
RJ100
none

aviationmaster

Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:56 am

The German fans were by far the louder ones during the GER-NED match.

"Rooney's attack against Stiel was bad. Sure he is the best European player of his age and one of the best European players at all, but he would be even better if he learned how to play fair. He is young, hence he has enough time to do so and he should be still flexible enough."

Well put!

Banco

Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:14 am

You must have completely different standards in continental Europe you know.  Insane

Rooney was going for the ball. Simple as that. Yes, he caught the keeper, but that's not the same as aiming for the keeper. He got a yellow card because his foot was a little in the air, and that decision was fair enough. But the way you are carrying on anyone would have thought he'd taken out a gun and shot him.

By the way, Racko; the tackle on the England player that resulted in that player shouting out in pain was on Gerrard, not Beckham. Number 4, not number 7. I've watched it again to make sure.

Good news for you Swiss. You can qualify by beating France. That has to be something to play for - France weren't that impressive tonight, even though we know just how good they are. Where there's life, there's hope.

David_itl

Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:19 am

Perhaps you play the "non-contact, 5 metre exclusion zone round the goalkeeper" version in continental Europe? In England, a free kick perhaps, but a booking as well? Doubtful.

Look at the game objectively and you'll see most of the free kicks awarded to Switzerland around England's penalty area were for the most innocuous of challenges with minimal contact.

Hopefully England will approach the Croatia game properly (i.e. going for a win, playing 4-4-2) instead of playing the diamond shape (if that is what they were attempting to play tonight) and hoping to avoid defeat.

David

Arsenal@LHR

Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:26 am

Perhaps i was being too harsh, but display's like this hardly captures the imagination for the later stages. The 3 points were the most important thing, and now only a draw with Croatia will put England through. I say only, but Croatia have shown how dangerous they are against the French tonight. It won't be easy but England have a great opportunity to reach the next stage.
In Arsene we trust!!

ryanb741

Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:29 pm

Croatia's defence looked a mess and the French again were unimpressive apart from the awesome Zidane. France were lucky against England the 1st time but if we play France again and they keep playing as poorly then there is no way they will win a 2nd time.

Croatia are always capable of something brilliant but you saw against the Swiss that although England may be outplayed they are always capable of scoring a goal at any time and I think that will happen against Croatia.

Andreas

Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:09 pm

ROFLMFAO...just read the thread, great, just great! But y'all know that's the way it's supposed to be...just football (Voeller said before the NED game, when some totally moronic journalists tried to get a statement out of him on WW 2 and football and the old enemy Netherlands..Christ, such jerks!!)

As for Rooney, I think it's a situation similar to the one in the GER-NED game with Stam hitting the head of Kuranyi...there it was a clear penalty according to regulations, but I wouldn't have sent him off either.

Pelican: England has a decent chance to reach the final, now. *LOLOL*
You know, they have to play Croatia first, then it's quarter finals, the semi, THEN finals...3 more games to go!!

And maybe we'll meet again, dear old enemy...just admit it: You want to be sent home by nobody else than us, the Germans...getting nailed by the French, that's a shame really, but Germany, now that's a historical fact and even your hardcore fans could accept that  Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin

I should move to England to sell hearing aids...I'd be rich in 2 years just by advertising in sports pages..German fans not to be heard????? Good Lord, maybe some of you guys should learn a little Dutch and German, just to keep it apart  Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Yeah sure
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

gkirk

Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:30 pm

No wonder English fans act like thugs. It's because their players do also. You should all be ashamed of scum like Rooney.  Angry
Disgusting, truly disgusting. Lets hope Croatia give your lot the thrashing that you deserve.
Oh yeah, UEFA should be ashamed also. What did they say before the tournament? England would be kicked out if their fans rioted. and whats happened? Nothing.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

pelican

Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:47 pm

Andreas: Let them have a little bit of hope Big grin

pelican

Scotty

Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:56 pm

Never saw the game. I was in a pub getting quaffed at the time and it was a telly free zone. Anyway, well done Ingerland.

But I said from the start that Croatia are a difficult side and I stand by that. But you only need a draw so will probably go through.

btw in the Scottish FA Coaching Manual, Section D titled "Defeat and How to Snatch it from the Jaws of Victory", the advice given is

"When only requiring a draw to qualify, 40 minutes into the game, and when 2-0 up, fall back to a flat back four, totally nullifying any creative forward play. Take a total pounding for the rest of the game. You will be guaranteed to lose two daft goals from a penalty box stramash (one before half time) and get a player sent off"

I know, I was there, F..K Craig Brown. We could have qualified for the 2002 World Cup that day against Belgium.