Boeing4ever
Topic Author

Summary Of Farenheit 9/11

Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:58 am

I found this little interesting tidbit from Christopher Hitchens on Slate.

It proves what everybody from the left and right knows, that Michael Moore is nothing more than a liberal Rush Limbaugh clone who twists facts, spins topics for his own goal, and is generally nothing more than a bag of hot air.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2102723/

I think his film will hurt the effort to get our troops home more than it will help.

B4e-Forever New Frontiers

RE: Summary Of Farenheit 9/11

Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:07 am

Here's a better summary...

"It's all bullshit".

airplay

Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:14 am

Kind of like an "anti-Rush"? Restoring balance to political extremism?

By the way, I would like to offer comment on Christopher Hitchens' opinion. However, he is such a terrible writer, I couldn't make it through his maze of words in the article.

galaxy5

Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:23 am

And what a great looking guy to boot.

Geez his smug face is worse than Bush's smirk could ever be.
"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

WellHung

Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:29 am

Question: how does this "prove" anything?

tristarenvy

Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:36 am

Regardless of how I feel about this movie, or my own political view, I think it'll have a big effect on how ANY politician handles himself when cameras are around.

After seeing some of the clips, I'll wager that the accessibility to ANY President, present or future, gets a wee bit harder.
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

RT514

Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:44 am

It proves what everybody from the left and right knows, that Michael Moore is nothing more than a liberal Rush Limbaugh clone who twists facts, spins topics for his own goal, and is generally nothing more than a bag of hot air.

LOL! Well said, Airplay.

Regardless of opinions at this point, I am looking forward to checking this movie out.

Boeing4ever
Topic Author

RE: Summary Of Fahrenheit 9/11

Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:44 am

Question: how does this "prove" anything?

Well let's see, by presenting facts about Moore maybe?

Seriously, do you actually believe the likes of Moore, Franken, Limbaugh, Coulter and the rest of their ilk?

The fact that Moore refuses to do any hard hitting interviews (he looked like a deer in the headlights on Dateline so I could understand that), has hired lawyers, "fact-checking" people. These strategies are of the likes of Limbaugh. And pretty damn sad.

Yes, just what we need...more polarization in this country. What is the real victim when that happens? I'll tell you...the FACTS. It's all spin now...

By the way, I would like to offer comment on Christopher Hitchens' opinion. However, he is such a terrible writer, I couldn't make it through his maze of words in the article.

Then pour yourself some coffee, "struggle" through it, and post your opinion...or does the truth hurt too much? *edit* I'm not defending his writing, but he makes some good points... *edit*

Look, I'm not pro-war...recent news of the beheading of yet another civilian as well as gruesome images of those murdered Marines only create more questions as to why the hell we're there. However, I don't think Bush is the next Hitler as some would have you believe...

[Edited 2004-06-22 19:47:24]

DC10GUY

Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:07 am

GOD BLESS MIKEY MOORE !!! And most of all thank you dude. I can't wait to see the movie.
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

diamond

Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:15 am

Galaxy5, please post your picture.

This is not the first time you've taken a crack at someone's appearance. So please share with us what you look like. I'm sure we'll all be humbled.

[Edited 2004-06-23 03:41:21]
Blank.

L-188

Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:32 am

Dimond, what are you taking about.

Until now I haven't posted to this topic  Confused
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

diamond

Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:43 am

L-188 ... you are right. I meant Galaxy5. I have corrected my post.

(I wonder why I got the two of you confused?)  Smile

Sorry for the confusion.
Blank.

MaverickM11

Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:35 am

"Regardless of opinions at this point"

Mr. Hitchens was not stating his opinion; he was pointing out the inconsistencies and flat out falsehoods that are strung together into a fallacious movie.
E pur si muove -Galileo

N766UA

Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:10 pm

Galaxy5 has posted his picture before. He was in his flightsuit. Why don't you go scrounge it up?

Besides, who cares what the person giving the opinion looks like. It's his opinion he can say whatever the hell he wants.
This Website Censors Me

RT514

Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:23 pm

Mr. Hitchens was not stating his opinion...

It was not Mr. Hitchens' opinion I was referring to. Regardless, his writings as cited here are editorial in nature and taking it as the absolute truth, suggesting that he is simply pointing out "inconsistencies" and "flat out falsehoods" would be a premature and questionable conclusion.

Let's face it, we can debate until we're blue in the face. The reality is that there are truths here that none of us (unless we're in the inner-most circles of government... and even then it's debatable) will never be able to know without uncertainty what is truth, what is fiction and what falls somewhere in between.

We're merely stating opinions here. My opinion is that I think that Fahrenheit 9/11 sounds interesting and I look forward to seeing it.

MaverickM11

Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:23 pm

"Besides, who cares what the person giving the opinion looks like. It's his opinion he can say whatever the hell he wants."

And as far as men go, Michael Moore is one of the least attractive in the universe, in the same league as Richard Reid, the Osborne son, and Howard Stern.
E pur si muove -Galileo

diamond

Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:02 pm

N766UA,

" ... Besides, who cares what the person giving the opinion looks like ... "

Michael Moore is a "person giving an opinion" (in his movie), and Galaxy5 seemed to care what HE looked like. Yet, you didn't tell Galaxy5 that he was out of line for bringing up the subject of looks ... right?

You're pretty anxious to speak up against anyone who isn't a member of Bush's fan club.

Limbaugh, Robertson, Falwell, Reed, Buckley, FOXNews, Imus, . . . you haven't commented on their biased views and

As for your other comment: " ... Why don't you go scrounge it up?
... why don't YOU jump off the nearest bridge.

PS - My original comment was between myself and Galaxy5. No one asked you to butt in. You are like one of those people who annoyingly force their way into a conversation at a party, when they aren't welcome. Take this as an invitation to mind your own business and go back to your neo-nazi studies.
Blank.

N766UA

Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:06 pm

Michael Moore is a "person giving an opinion" (in his movie), and Galaxy5 seemed to care what HE looked like. Yet, you didn't tell Galaxy5 that he was out of line for bringing up the subject of looks ... right?

Yet Michael Moore's picture is much more readily available. Thus, since we already know what he looks like, you can't compare him to Galaxy5, who you don't know what he looks like. My point is who cares what someone looks like if you don't know what they look like. It won't change anything. However, since we all know Moore looks like a fat slob, then why not have at him.

You're pretty anxious to speak up against anyone who isn't a member of Bush's fan club.

So because I happen to dislike Michael Moore I'm a big fan of Bush? The line is that clearly drawn, huh?

My original comment was between myself and Galaxy5. No one asked you to butt in

Don't you know this is a public forum? If you want something to be just between you and him, email him.

[Edited 2004-06-23 07:12:06]
This Website Censors Me

solarix

Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:25 pm

Summary Of Farenheit 9/11

A film made by an ultra-left-winged extremist that exploits the death of 3,000 people so he can make a quick buck and express his own political views.
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

N766UA

Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:26 pm

A film made by an ultra-left-winged extremist that exploits the death of 3,000 people so he can make a quick buck and express his own political views.

And nothing more. People buy into this crap way too much... both sides.
This Website Censors Me

Boeing4ever
Topic Author

Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:04 pm

Just being a little picky with myself here...it's spelled F-A-H-R-E-N-H-E-I-T. My goof.  Big grin

pacificjourney

Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:20 am

I must agree with Diamond and ask people to leave appearance out of their arguements.

It is one thing to dislike MM but if you want to go down the 'fat slob' road then you are either too lazy to actually state your reasons or you had better stick your own beautiful face up there as well for comparison. I hear Galaxy5 is spotty AND chinless .....

Judging people by their appearance is a very childish act which I gave up once I stopped being a child.

Does it need to be stated YET AGAIN that no one here has seen the film ?
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

Espion007

Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:26 am

oh yea thats breaking news  Yeah sure
Snakes on a Plane!

MaverickM11

Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:29 am

"Does it need to be stated YET AGAIN that no one here has seen the film ?"

Except for the guy that reviewed it Insane.
E pur si muove -Galileo

WellHung

Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:40 am

Well, MaverickM11... the people who gave it the Palme D'Or at Cannes saw it. As did Roger Ebert, who gave it a 3.5/4. And the people here:

http://www.mrqe.com/lookup?^Fahrenheit+9/11+(2004)

who generally gave it favorable reviews.

jaysit

Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:51 am

Its very interesting that the generally conservative Boston Herald has given the film a very favorable review.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

diamond

Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:52 am

I have seen the film, at a preview session in DC.

Have you ever been in a situation where someone near you was making a total fool of themselves and you were overwhelmed with embarrassment for them - to the point where you just wanted to get away as quickly as possible? I found it hard to sit through the entire film because I was so embarrassed for him (the President).

Yes, it is indeed one-sided. But it is NOT composed of "twisted facts". And it has NOT taken certain remarks and images "out of context" to mislead the audience.

As Moore has said recently, he didn't vote for Clinton in '92 or '96 ... and he didn't vote for Gore in '00.

It is possible for even a non-Democrat to take a look at events over the past 3 years and actually have a problem with what they've observed. You don't have to be a bleeding-heart liberal to be annoyed with the current administration.

Furthermore, our President struggles daily with his ongoing problem of "not looking Presidential". In year 1 and 2 of his presidency, this was even MORE of a problem - and this is where many of the clips came from. I admit that these clips were not selected to help him look good. But NEVER has a President looked so awkward or ill-prepared to lead the world's last superpower.

And for those of you who think he is a "good and decent man", that really shouldn't be your reason for voting for ANYONE. I know a LOT of good and decent men, and they are not qualified to be President.

" ... now watch this drive ... "
Blank.

concord977

Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:11 am

I was also at this preview with Kevin (diamond) and two other guys, and I agree with most of what he said. Moore wasn't trying to make anyone look good - but he was careful not to be dishonest in the way he put things together.

Curt / concord977
Washington, DC
No info

MaverickM11

Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:34 am

"Well, MaverickM11... the people who gave it the Palme D'Or at Cannes saw it. As did Roger Ebert, who gave it a 3.5/4. And the people here: "

Preaching to the choir... I've read that it's a great piece of movie making; it just happens to be more like E.T. than anything.
E pur si muove -Galileo

WellHung

Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:48 am

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,122680,00.html

Roger Friedman of FoxNews doesn't agree with that...

It turns out to be a really brilliant piece of work, and a film that members of all political parties should see without fail.

As much as some might try to marginalize this film as a screed against President George Bush, "F9/11" — as we saw last night — is a tribute to patriotism, to the American sense of duty — and at the same time a indictment of stupidity and avarice.

More than even "The Passion of the Christ," "F9/11" is going to be a "see it for yourself" movie when it hits theaters on June 25. It simply cannot be missed

trijetfan1

Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:35 pm

Hey Moore, if you're going to take on Bush drop a couple lbs'.
Earned PPL June 26, 2007

Schoenorama

Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:27 pm

I admit it, I haven’t seen this latests movie (yet) nor have I seen Bowling for Columbine. However, I have read a few of his books and I believe that Michael Moore isn’t just the typical left-wing anti Republican many people in this thread portray him to be, as he has always also be very critical of the ‘established Democratical Party’. In his book ‘Stupid White Men’ he clearly critisizes the Democrats for being too close to the Right and not to defend those principles the majority of the American people have, which are far mor to the Left than many would like to admit.

Those who, despite not seeing the movie, believe Moore is telling nothing but lies should be aware of the fact that, according to the reviews, many of the claims Moore makes have in fact been reached by the 9/11 Panel recently. I also find it very interesting to see that even outspoken Moore critics (like Roger Friedman of Fox News; see Wellhung’s link above) say this film is “is a tribute to patriotism, to the American sense of duty — and at the same time a indictment of stupidity and avarice.. Now when a man, who works for Faux News and is known Moore critic, has seen the movie and tells his Faux News audience all these things, surely the movie can’t be that bad....
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

Cessnapimp

Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:39 pm

Sideshow Bob: "Your guilty consciences may make you vote Democratic, but secretly you all yearn for a Republican president to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king!"

It was all in the Simpsons years ago...

Best... Sideshow Bob quote... ever!

In my opinion, it doesn't really matter how much of a spin Moore puts on his movies. The great thing, and I mean GREAT thing, about a movie like this is that it gets people talking, communicating and arguing. Dare I even say it stimulates interest in politics where people under normal circumstances would just shrug their shoulders. Is he full of crap? Well then, discuss dammit! Discuss! If what it takes is to drag the people into theaters, face stuffed full of popcorn in order to stimulate a greater turnout in voting, then right on!

Pause
I'm not saying here that this movie will make a difference, although I hope it will.
Unpause

I hope voter turnout is better this time around. The upcoming November ballot affects all of us. God knows a American Presidential election is not a national concern, it's a global one.

Haven't seen the movie. Looking forward to it.

CPDC10-30

Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:08 am

This is the first movie in a long time that I will be seeing on the first day of major distribution (9:40 tonight EST). I will be going in with an open mind - I don't usually agree with Michael Moore but I think it is important to at least listen...

YUL2010

Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:54 am

I went to see the movie today. I thought it was brilliant.
I just don't understand how some people can just brush away all of these facts and say "it's all lies...".

Ignorant people... like that woman said at the end of the movie who lost her son while fighting in Iraq...
"Hotel November Oscar clear to land runway 24L"

B2707SST

RE: Summary Of Fahrenheit 9/11

Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:46 am

I just don't understand how some people can just brush away all of these facts and say "it's all lies...".

Because many of Moore's "facts" are, if not lies, then so distorted as to be completely misleading. NBC News, hardly a bastion of conservatism, even ran a "Reality Check" piece tonight pointing out four gaping holes in the movie. One particularly sloppy example:

CLAIM: Moore accuses Bush of letting bin Laden family members and other Saudis out of the country scot-free right after 9/11.

FACT: First, the 9/11 Commission has stated that no one left the country without being cleared by the CIA. Second, according to the 9/11 Commission, the flights occurred on 9/14, after commercial airspace had reopened. Third, Bush didn't make the decision to fly the Saudis out - it was, by his own testimony, one Richard Clarke, the recently canonized hero of the American left.

Fahrenheit 9/11 is not a documentary, it's an opinion piece; Moore himself has admitted this. It's a collection of stylized video clips and sound bytes carefully edited together to imply connections that the real facts don't support. But then, 90% of those attending Fahrenheit 9/11 will hear what they want to hear. Facts are merely inconvenient obstacles to their partisan agenda.

--B2707SST
Keynes is dead and we are living in his long run.

j_hallgren

Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:26 pm

Only way I'd see it would be if it was free...don't want ANY of my money to support that A-H...even the commercials show a distorted view of reality...he's the type of guy who would take a statement from Bush of the type "I did not do xy or z" and snip the NOT out...the remainder of statement was said but without all the words, it's not accurate...
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

fspilot747

Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:44 pm

Wow some of you are die-hard ass kissers till the last drop. You haven't even seen the movie and you're calling it "taken out of context" and "lies." Luckily for you, Moore actually left his major points (especially) in all their context.

And FYI, I didn't agree with Moore's tactics in Bowling for Columbine because a lot of it was out of context, and some of it was just plain crap. But this movie was far more impressive. So I was definitely not bias going into the theatre.

FSP

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:00 pm

Oh such open mindedness on all fronts.

How about going to see the movie before judging it?
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

L-188

Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:02 pm

Well Singapore Air, if there was a way I could pirate a copy, so that he doesn't get any of my hard earned money, I might consider it.

But until that happens I am going to have to rely on the commentaries of others who decided to waste those two hours of their lives.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

jwenting

Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:32 pm

summary: Lies, darn lies, and Michael Moore
I wish I were flying

EAL1011500

Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:34 pm

This film is more than a documentary...it is political activism.

Many call it "propaganda," yet the definition of propaganda is simply any information that supports a particular point of view. Damn near everything we encounter in our society could be seen as such.

While Moore does leave some holes (such as his claim that Iraq never killed a single American citizen), his broader point remains valid. America is a country run by an elite minority that continuously undermines democracy.

Its mo[o]re than that, though. The film illustrates a fundamental tenet of our current socioeconomic/political paradigm: the fact that the American dream is dead.

Our government has become the embodiment of capitalism. The founding fathers must be turning in their graves as money has become the driving force, the definition of America. It is a sad sight to see.

America once stood for something true and noble. Unfortunately it has grown too close to an economic definition of "right." In this sense, it differs little from the communist regimes that once embodied "evil" in this world.

A small number of people at the top control the direction of the American people. Yet, most Americans have no idea of what is occurring in the world around them.

Stalin and Hitler would be proud.

Schoenorama

Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:11 pm

B2707SST:

CLAIM: Moore accuses Bush of letting bin Laden family members and other Saudis out of the country scot-free right after 9/11.

Michael Moore’s own website has some interesting info on this alleged claim. Moore says, referring to that scene in his movie, that he DID NOT claim the Saudis left the country right after 9/11. In fact, according to the transcript of the narration of that particular scene, he claims ”At least six private jets and nearly two dozen commercial planes carried the Saudis and the Bin ladens out of the U.S. after September 13th”.

Now even I child can see there is a HUGE difference in the original claim made in the narration of that scene and the ALLEGED claim Moore critics accuse him of.

My question to you is: on exatly what do you base YOUR claim that Moore said the planes left right after 9/11?

Check http://www.michaelmoore.com/mustread/f911facts/index.php for first-hand knowledge on what the films says and what is doesn’t say.
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

cytz_pilot

Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:18 pm

I went to see it in a packed theater last night (good thing I bought tickets early, all shows were sold out when we got there) and I really enjoyed it. It was a classic Moore film, one minute you're laughing your ass off, the next you're damn near tears. They might claim that they could, but I seriously wonder if any die-hard Bush supporter could hold their head up while that older Iraqi woman, after losing 5 family members or friends, was shouting, half-crying, (translated) They have no conscience...may God destroy their houses like they have ours...

The point that was made about Iraqis never killing an American, I mean fine, if people want to pick it apart go ahead. He was referring to the fact that we went to destroy them without being threatened by them. (Since the 1st Desert Storm anyway, and even then, the US wasn't really threatened in the true sense of the word...only the oil fields were) I guess this movie puts so many people on the defensive that they need to pick apart the irregularities to feel like they've made a difference. But, as I thought after the movie, no wonder he stated that Democrats had no backbone...you have one group trying to take a moderate stance, and another on an aggressive war footing...who would win a debate?

Moore is giving Bush a hard time, but geez, have you read his opinions on Clinton? It doesn't matter who is in the White House, he's going to keep on ranting. Kerry, if elected, will not have his work cut out for him and will not avoid being a target himself.

It's really too bad that a lot of people on the other side will not go to see this movie. I realize that it would be totally unpleasant to sit through 2 hours of opinions which are totally opposite to your beliefs, but then again, look around...how many people have had to sit through years of it? Farenheit 9/11 is an effect, not a cause.

jwenting

Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:23 pm

for the real facts: http://www.moorelies.com
I wish I were flying

Sabena 690

Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:44 pm

And would be neocons over here say the same when Moore would have made a film about Clinton?

Jwenting: it actually comes from both sides... Like big parts in Moore his film are blown up or lies, the site you quote looks more like something made up by the neocons, instead of something representing 'facts' as you claim.

Personally, I'm unhappy with the fact that this film is being broadcasted while Bush is still President. Not that this film is going to change the mind of a lot of people (the neocons who are pro Bush anyway avoid the film, while the extreme liberals who are against Bush will gladly believe the content). This still doesn't make it deontologically correct.

No intentions from my side to go to Kinepolis to watch the film, and if I do so, I'll try to stay as neutral as possible to make a distinction between the things that can be true (not 100% of the film exists out of lies), and the bull sh*t.

CPH-R

Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:48 pm

L-188m
here's a trick you could use, courtesy of a poster on Democratic Underground:

This is what my hair dresser said yesterday when I asked another, whom I remembered didn't like Bush, if she was going to see F-911. She answered loudly "no way, I wouldn't support that scum for anything." Then of course the others heard and said "what what" and the discussion began. I only stated that I like Moore and planned on seeing the movie. My hair dresser said "why? He is such a liar. Lots of us are buying tickets to Shrek and sneaking in to see what f-911 is all about."

LoneStarMike

Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:59 pm

Because many of Moore's "facts" are, if not lies, then so distorted as to be completely misleading.

Kind of like the so called "facts" that were spoon-fed to the American people by the Bush Administration to convince us that Saddam had WMD and ties to Al Queda?

LoneStarMike

vafi88

Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:24 am

I saw it last night.

The movie is beautifully made and sends a strong point across, many points for that matter.

Other than having ties with the Bin Laden Family, and not acting on the August 6th memo, it provides a pretty good look at soldiers and interviews them.

There are soldiers unwilling to go back because they don't want seeing their fellow Americans dying for no good reason, and they, themselves, don't want to die.

Then there's a part about a military convoy and it shows American bodies burned to a crisp and then an Iraqi man getting a stick and hitting him several times, then the body is dragged on the streets and hung for everyone to see, sad.

These events happened, not only because of extremists, but because there are countless scenes of the Military taking people who are innocent, like a simple college student, or killing many people. There were scenes of dead babies, children, and children with their arms blown off with visible bones and such. There are families who have had their family members killed such as a woman pleading to god because 5 of her family members have died in the past week or so. Burned down houses.

There are soldiers who say when they got in, they just went after anything that moved and mowed them down, set roofs on fire, and killed civillians, a lot of them.

There's a point when Moore tries to portray that the unemployement rate is high in poorer towns such as Flint, Michigan and that a lot of them sign up for the military. So the poor people are fighting the war that was lead on by the most powerful people in America.

A movie for everyone to check out, not only the so called "anti-Bush" crowd, because it also portrayes how our war efforts are doing in Iraq, and how they work, live, and die.

I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

ConcordeBoy

Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:06 am

The KISS philosophy works best here...

Summary: CRAP

...short, simple, and to the point.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!