flyingbronco05

Mary Kate Olsen Treated For Anorexia

Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:59 am

Olsen may get other anorexics to seek help

"There may be a silver lining to the news that Mary-Kate Olsen is being treated for an eating disorder believed to be anorexia.

Experts hope the announcement will prompt young fans with eating disorders to also seek help. The earlier a patient is treated, the more likely she will be cured."

http://www.suntimes.com/output/health/cst-nws-anor24.html

Wow! Didn't see that coming Yeah sure
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

RE: Mary Kate Olsen Treated For Anorexia

Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:01 am

I guess her fridge and stomach aint as full as her house? *wink*

N766UA

Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:09 am

I'd be willing to bet her "house" can get pretty crowded. And I'm not refering to a TV show.
This Website Censors Me

777236ER

Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:17 am

If only they could scouer the A.net search engine in order to use the ' Yeah sure' smiley against people asking genuine interesting questions, then they wouldn't have an eating disorder (of the not-eating-enough-kind anyway). On the other hand, they wouldn't have had sex or alcohol, and they'd be desperatly awaiting pubic hair.
Your bone's got a little machine

JBirdAV8r

Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:22 am

Flyingbronco05,

It's Mary-Kate, not Mary Kate. Your blatant disregard for accuracy really detracts from your argument. I've never met a Mary Kate Olsen  Yeah sure

Do a search!!! This name has been brought up on many occasions.  Insane
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

flyingbronco05

Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:34 am

JBirdAV8r

Um what? What was the point of your post?

PPGMD

Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:39 am

You know it was sort of expected based on the pictures taken from when they got their Hollywood Star.
At worst, you screw up and die.

JBirdAV8r

Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:55 am

Um what? What was the point of your post?

Um, do a simple search of your posts, and say 75% of them will be sarcastic "Do a search!" remarks, corrections (often times your correction is wrong, but mine's legitimate). I was just making a comment in typical Flyingbronco05 fashion  Big grin
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

ren41

Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:04 am

I'm willing to put some meat into her...

flyingbronco05

Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:28 am

"Do a search!" remarks, corrections

I say "do a search" because almost everything people post has already been posted or discussed and it is just wasting server space.

777236ER

Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:01 am

Like this thread.

Get a clue.
Your bone's got a little machine

flyingbronco05

Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:40 am

This thread has not been discussed before because this is the first time one of the Olsen twins has been treated for anorexia.

767-332ER

Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:54 am

I agree with Ren41, I believe we should all put some meat in her. Now to be serious, sad thing to hear, but is this really unexpected for the girls have been in the spotlight ever since they were infants. Looks like an E! True Hollywood storyline to me.
Regards
Twinjets...if one fails, work the other one twice as hard!!!

yyz717

Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:00 am

I've had just about enough PR on these 2 little whores. Can't they just go away?

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

ren41

Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:16 am

I agree with Ren41, I believe we should all put some meat in her.

I wasn't referring to steak Big grin

R41

AWspicious

Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:42 am

What eating disorder?!

Signed
Emirates A345
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

N766UA

Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:12 pm

I say "do a search" because almost everything people post has already been posted or discussed and it is just wasting server space.

If everyone were doing searches we'd never have a new topic in Civil Av. It's the same stuff over and over mostly, so we have to repeat to survive.
This Website Censors Me

freshlove1

Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:12 pm

........WHO CARES........

ZKSUJ

Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:48 pm

I know, I heard about it on the radio a couple of days ago. And they are cancelling their trip to NZ because of that.

Alpha 1

Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:21 pm

Despite the infantile joking of some about this, simply because they don't like the person who has it, Anorexia is a very serious disease-ask Richard Carpenter all about it ,and how it changed his life. I hope she gets the help she needs to start living a healthy life once more.

Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:34 pm

Alpha1, I stand corrected, and I retract my insensitive comment. You are so right, Anorexia is an exceedingly dangerous disease, and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. My apologies.

tristarenvy

Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:54 am

As it seems that the examples for young girls, set by most pop icons these days are pretty bad, I don't have too much of a problem when my daughters want to watch any of their movies, or shows. They seem to be relatively inoffensive, enough. I just make sure I'm NOT in the same room.
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

yyz717

Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:26 am

I still wonder whether this was just an Olsen PR stunt. Given the frequency with which the famous seem to suffer from anorexia, it seems to be more of a self-imposed lifestyle condition, than a true "disease".

Go eat a hamburger Mary-Kate you silly tart. And leave us alone.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:59 am

If it is an Olsen PR stunt, it's a pretty disgusting one which would exploit and
degrade all the authentic women (and some men) who suffer from this
disease.

Speaking of hamburgers, I had the most delicious one at "Licks" in the Beaches. And a nice thick chocolate shake to go with it. God only knows I would never have anorexia, then again, very few men suffer from it (correct me if I am wrong here).

There was a program on TV last year about a famous American TV announcer/hostess, I think from ET (Entertainment Tonight), who is suffering from severe Anorexia. It was very painful to look at this woman, she was literally skin and bones. Her friends admitted her to a clinic as a last ditch effort, as she was a breath away from death, seriously. Tragic.

I often wonder what it really is like for the many insecure women who are bombarded with media images of too thin women (ads, magazines, etc.).
I have often heard women state that being a mere 5 to 10 pounds overweight
(if you want to call it that) is sheer hell. Man oh man.

yyz717

Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:47 am

Speaking of hamburgers, I had the most delicious one at "Licks" in the Beaches.

Cool. I go there, not infrequently.

There was a program on TV last year about a famous American TV announcer/hostess, I think from ET (Entertainment Tonight), who is suffering from severe Anorexia. It was very painful to look at this woman, she was literally skin and bones.

The devil makes work for idle hands. Anorexia is a condition very common in the wealthy set. Women should be raised with self confidence and self-esteem. Sorry, but I really dont have much sympathy for anorexia victims in our land of plenty. That people in our midst are starving themselves voluntarily is sickening to me. But hey, that's me.

Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:41 am

Neil, that's not a very fair statement to make re anorexia. Thousands upon thousands of middle and lower class females worldwide are victims of this disease, and it IS a serious, fatal (in many cases) mental disorder. Unfortunately, the media focuses primarily on the wealthy set vis-a-vis coverage/reporting. Alas, the public at large perceives anorexia as an affliction of the upper classes.

"Women should be raised with self confidence and self-esteem."

Many victims do in fact hail from families where positive values are taught, however, they (the weaker ones, obviously) fall "victim" to the bullshit unrealistic images and messages which are the signature of the beauty/fashion industry. The power of this imagery is not to be underestimated.

Yeah, Licks Hamburgers rock.

Greg

Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:03 am

Those 'two little whores' are estimated to generate about $1.1B in revenue the next 18 months ($750M from Wal Mart alone)--which likely means they probably will get to keep about $150-300M of it in that period alone (add to estimated net worth of over $300-500M already for both)

And that's despite that movie that lasted exactly a New York minute. I'll imagine that by 21, they will both be Billionaires---likely the youngest ever who didn't inherit. You've got to admire the marketing.

Provided their parents don't squander it....those are a couple of very, very wealthy little undereaters.

Noteworthy? Yes--as are most money making 'machines'
Interesting? Equal to white bread.

airplay

Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:24 am

Ah....and the jealous throngs appear to ridicule and cheer the failings of the rich and famous.....

Nothing better to do than rip up some 18 year olds?

Many of you need to seek some anger management or envy counselling before you implode.

yyz717

Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:20 am

Nothing better to do than rip up some 18 year olds?

These are just comments Airplay. They take about 30 sec to type and post.

I could however ask you: nothing better to do than participate in posts about some 18 year olds? Same thing.

airplay

Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:49 am

I could however ask you: nothing better to do than participate in posts about some 18 year olds? Same thing.

Not really. There are some pretty strong words being bandied around like "whores". What does that have to do with an eating disorder?

Talking about 18 year olds is one thing. Ripping them for no other reason than jealousy is another....

Greg

Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:04 am

I used the term "two little whores" cynically in my post since someone made a rather vicious remark in a post prior to mine calling them that. They are likely anything but. I hope everyone caught that.

With all the shit that goes on these days, an eating disorder is hardly anything to make a mountain out of....

With Hollywood children it's usually drugs, and alcohol....and then more drugs, drugs, drugs....

iflyatldl

Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:54 am

I knew what you meant, Greg. Maybe something positive will come from making this public, as a lot of younger teenage girls suffer from that. Before the drug phase kicks in if at all.
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

yyz717

Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:52 pm

Maybe something positive will come from making this public, as a lot of younger teenage girls suffer from that.

I see the opposite. I think many young girls will interpret the anorexia as a step towards fame and popularity, and will try to emulate her. Given how impressionable so many teen girls are, perhaps MKO should have dealt with this privately like any self-respecting normal person would.

I used the term "two little whores"

So did I. Indeed, I think I started it. Don't read everything at face value. I was being sarcastic. Try putting some humour in your life.