acho

Had A Car Collison Today

Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:41 am

I was drving my Honda CR-V on a highway here in Mexico, in the outskirts of Queretaro. I was driving on the fast at about 120km/h. Behind me was a little Chevy at about equal speed. Then behind the Chevy came a big black old looking SUV, who overtoke the Chevy using the right lane. He wasn't able to go past me because of other traffic on the right lane. so he went behind me pressuring me to move to the right lane. So I did, and while I was moving over, BAM!, he hit the left rear en of my car. I managed not to loose control.

I tried to chase him, but he exited the highway on the first exit he saw. I wasn't able to get out on that exit. I stopped imediatly when I saw the state cops. The told me they could do nothing with no license plate number.

Do you think this was my fault? Should I have left him past me early? Do you think he did it on purpose, or was it an aciedent? Do you think he was drunk? Waht do you think about all of this?

Regards

jwenting

RE: Had A Car Collison Today

Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:57 am

I believe in Mexico you're supposed to keep the right lane as much as possible like in most of the world?

In that case you were in the wrong for keeping enough room for someone to get past you (or almost)...

Of course because it was a hit and run accident, the other car is in the wrong by default. In fact had it happened here he'd have been guilty of a criminal offense.
I wish I were flying

flyingbronco05

Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:05 am

He hit you from behind. His fault, not yours.

It's that simple.

FB05
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

DLKAPA

Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:15 am

Not sure how it is down there south o' the border, but up here the guy who hit you would be in the wrong, and provided that he was cought, because it was hit and run, he would be charged with a felony.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

fritzi

Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:40 am

He hit you from behind. His fault, not yours.

It's that simple.

Not always so simple. I can name more than 3 reasons to make your statement false.

Acho, sorry to hear about the accident. Hopefully your CR-V isnt too screwed up. It is a great car. My mother had one for 4 years and there was NEVER EVER a problem with it.

prebennorholm

Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:33 am

Acho, as you don't want such things to happen, then join a defensive driving training course. Then you learn to spot such idiots on five miles distance and give way to them so they hit others, not you.

You speed up your average road speed that way. Just think about how much time you lose while having your fine car repaired.

Spotting the idiot in advance and giving way to him - and letting him crash into others further down the road, might have cost you ten seconds.

That said, in all countries I know of that guy would not have a license for several years, in case police court up with him. But since he fled, then he probably never had one.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

767-332ER

Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:38 am

Even if it is his fault...what can you do about it my friend? Always had nightmares about this type of stuff...hopefully insurance will take care of you...fellow Honda driver!!
Regards
Twinjets...if one fails, work the other one twice as hard!!!

fly727

Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:16 am

His fault. What the heck was he doing taking over the right?
Drive carefully buddy....

RM  Smile
There are no stupid questions... just stupid people!

flyboy36y

Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:25 pm

Not always so simple. I can name more than 3 reasons to make your statement false

Don't worry abouty it. FlyingBronco05 often makes statements tha'ts he's not qualified to make. After all, I don't think he's an expert on MEXICAN traffic laws....

itsjustme

RE: Had A Car Collision Today

Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:03 pm

Your details are a tad sketchy but from your description, if the incident had happened here in CA, yes, he'd be at fault but not solely because he struck the rear end of your vehicle. The myth that because the impact point was the rear end of your vehicle and the front end of his automatically puts him at fault is just that....a myth. The actual charge, aside from fleeing a property damage accident (which is just a misdemeanor, by the way), would be his failure to allow a clear and assured distance between his vehicle and yours. Dollars to donuts, though, if he were caught, he'd say he didn't realize there was contact made and he thought you were just some lunatic chasing him. Of course the amount of damage caused would determine if it's possible he didn't realize there was contact made. He could be charged with felony hit and run only if an injury or death occurred and he fled the scene.

On a side note American drivers visiting Mexico should be aware of a common scam down there. That being for someone to purposely engage you in a minor crash with the hope that you're not properly insured (you must purchase Mexican auto insurance). Being that some of the cops aren't exactly on the up and up down there, they're usually in on the scam as well. If you're not properly insured, you're forced to pay an ungodly fine (which is usually split between the cops and the other person involved in the crash after you're "released"). If you don't have the cash on hand, your car is impounded until you can come up with the money.