kbuf737

Going To DC Next Week, Suggestions?

Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:10 pm

I'm going to DC next week. Its a two day trip and alot of it is business for a scholarship of mine at school, however evenings (after 5:30) I will have free and we shouldn't be too far from the capital district. Any suggestions of things I may be able to catch.

Plus, flying into BWI, quickest way into Metro Washington from there?
The tower? Rapunzel!!!!!!

concord977

RE: Going To DC Next Week, Suggestions?

Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:23 pm

Quickest way to DC from BWI is the "Washington Flyer" van/taxi service.

It is possible to take a train, but it is somewhat involved.

Contact me if you need any information about spotting locations or how to get to/from the airports.

Have a great trip!

Curt / concord977
Washington, DC

No info

174thfwff

Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:30 pm

There is a pretty cool bar called the Dubliner on N. Capitol Street. Food stinks, but they do have live bands and it's always crowded when I go.
Stop by Georgetown...All around the campus there is always stuff going on, but it may be a little more calm as school is out. (Go to Georgetown at night)
If you are into museums there is a host of them for free along the mall. Also the new WW2 memorial is very nice, go check it out!

-174th
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

767Lover

Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:10 pm

I'll be in DC next week too!

You must go to the new aviation museum at Dulles...if it's open that late. There's a Concorde on display, as well as a 707 and lots of other planes.

Espion007

Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:00 pm

I believe theres shuttle service from the museum downtown to the udvar hazy center.The aerospace museum is on independance ave. and about a 1 1/2 k walk west from the capitol.you really cant miss it-it has a load of crazy sh*t in the windows.

Snakes on a Plane!

desertjets

Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:47 pm

The Air and Space Annex closes at 5:30pm. Just went this past weekend and it is worth the trip. I don't think the same can be said about the one on the Mall, but I have been there about 4 or 5 times in as many years. I think it is good for an hour or two tops. Natural History and American History musuem are IMHO much better. I believe that American History has opened a major transportation exhibit in the past year or so that is worth checking out.

And all around downtown DC, Foggy Bottom, Georgetown, Adams-Morgan, DuPont Circle are tons of bars and restaraunts to choose from

As for getting into the city, it all depends on where you are staying. Cheapest would be to take MARC or Amtrak from the BWI rail station into Union Station. Then take the Metro or cab it from there.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

phxairfan

Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:36 am

Adams-Morgan, and DuPont circle are the places to go if you want to go clubbing. I had some friends that went to the Dubliner earlier this week, and also liked it. Don't take anything but the MARC train from BWI to DC. It takes 45 mins to an hour at the most, and costs you 6$. Comparatively I took a super shuttle from Dulles, and it cost me 25$. Only use the Washington Flyer if you are coming from Dulles, in hindsight I wish I did. The MARC train will take you from BWI Rail Station (which has a free shuttle from the terminal) to Union Station in downtown DC. From there you can hop on the Metro and go anywhere, or even walk to your hotel depending on how far it is.

Website for MARC train is http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/marc/

Website for Metro http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/default.cfm

Any other questions, shoot me an E-mail.