CaptOveur

A Few Random Baseball Questions

Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:19 am

As I find myself aging and enjoying spending longer and longer times in front of baseball games in the summer I found my knowledge lacking on a few things.. I am pretty good with strategy and whatever but...

Ok say there is a 4-6-5 double play.. What the hell are the numbers? I am guessing they are position numbers but is there any rhyme or reason to how they are/were assigned, and is there anywhere I can find what they are?

OK for pitchers

SP is starting pitcher
LRP is left handed relief pitcher (I think)
CP is closing pitcher

What is a SU (pitcher) and an MRP (also pitcher)?

Also, this may be more of an ethical question. I grew up and spent my entire life being a Reds fan. I now live in Texas and thanks to FOX sports net about the only games I get are the Rangers and the Astros. I can't stand the American League so is it ok for me to be a Reds AND an Astros fan or do I have to choose? It just seems so wrong loving a team that actually has a chance.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

Alpha 1

RE: A Few Random Baseball Questions

Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:32 am

Ok say there is a 4-6-5 double play.. What the hell are the numbers?

Every position on the field is assigned a number, so that each out can be recoreded. I imagine this started during the days when radio didn't brodcast all games from the park, and needed a way for the announcer, in studio, could tell his listeners how the play evolved on the field.

Here are the positions and their numbers:

1-Pitcher
2-Catcher
3-First Baseman
4-Second Baseman
5-Third Baseman
6-Shortstop
7-Left Field
8-Center Field
9-Right Field

dragon-wings

Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:34 am

MRP= Middle Relief Pitcher
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

yanksn4

Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:38 am

What is a SU (pitcher) and an MRP (also pitcher)

MRP= middle relief pitcher

As for SU, I am guessing that it means a specialty pitcher (someone who comes in to face a batter (left on left, right on right.)

so is it ok for me to be a Reds AND an Astros fan or do I have to choose?

Right now, since the Astros are in the tank, you can probily be a fan of both when they don't play each other in the same game. However, if they were tied for first with only two weeks left in the season, then I think you would have to choose one of the teams.
2013 Airports: EWR, JFK, LGA, LIS, AGP, DEN, GIG, RGN, BKK, LHR, FRA, LAX, SYD, PER, MEL, MCO, MIA, PEK, IAH

ren41

Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:04 am

SU- Set Up Pitcher(usually pitches right before closer)
MRP- Middle Relief Pitcher

R41

CaptOveur

Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:07 am

I forgot the Astros choked, I guess I should have said HAD a chance. I think I should have worded it like: The Astros have a far better chance of not sucking in future seasons.

deltaffindfw

Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:14 am

I agree. I do like watching the Rangers here in DFW, but I really miss my Reds  Sad - especially listening to Marty and Joe

[Edited 2004-07-12 04:15:04]

Stretch 8

Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:08 pm

One phrase that has disappeared from the box scores: The "game winning run batted in" or GWRBI. Why is this gone?

Also, the term "Walk-off Home Run." This sounds as if it was coined by one of the ESPN idiots. Yet, it is used commonly (but not in the box scores).
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

itsjustme

Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:29 pm

Little riddle for you: How would it be possible for a batter to go 0 for 3 in a game and not have it effect his batting avg.?

electraBob

Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:38 pm

A 4-6-5 double play.....second to short to third....that one doesn't happen very often.

Another statistic that is quite interesting is QS===Quality Starts. A quality start is one in which a pitcher allows three earned runs or fewer and goes at least six innings. Doesn't matter if he gives up 3 earned runs in the first inning, pitches the entire game and his team loses 3-0....he gets credit for a quality start. He also gets a big fat L in the loss column.  Confused

How about those DTW Tigers....last year, they won a TOTAL of 43 games...their win yesterday was their 42nd this year.
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.....

nicedream

Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:43 pm

LRP = Long relief pitcher

CaptOveur

Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:47 pm

"LRP = Long relief pitcher"

DOH!... ok thank you for the clue

"A 4-6-5 double play.....second to short to third....that one doesn't happen very often."

That wouldn't make much sense would it? It was an example though and now I know.

KROC

Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:48 pm

Little riddle for you: How would it be possible for a batter to go 0 for 3 in a game and not have it effect his batting avg.?

If your outs are a "sacrifice" they do not count against your BA.

CactusA319

Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:31 am

One phrase that has disappeared from the box scores: The "game winning run batted in" or GWRBI. Why is this gone?

Also, the term "Walk-off Home Run." This sounds as if it was coined by one of the ESPN idiots. Yet, it is used commonly (but not in the box scores).

The GWRBI was considered useless. Say a team wins 9-0, scoring the first runs in the first inning. The GWRBI would go to the whoever drove in that first run, but it really doesn't matter because the game is a blowout anyway. The GWRBI is a good stat, but it shouldn't be applied to every single game, but rather close games in which that stat actually has some relevance.

The term "Walk-off Home Run" was coined by a pitcher (I wanna say Dennis Eckersley) and then used in highlight shows so much its now a part of regular baseball vernacular. It isn't an official stat however.

JetService

Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:43 am

If your outs are a "sacrifice" they do not count against your BA.

That's correct, but technically, the batter is still 0 for 0. The only thing I can think of is the batter already had an .000 average (kind of like 777236ER at the bars), so going 0 for 3 didn't change his average.

OK, how about the guy that got four errors on one-batted ball. I don't recall his name, but he played third and booted a ground ball for the first error. The batter started rounding first, but decided to go back. The thirdbaseman tried to pick him off but over threw first for the second error. The batter rounded second and headed to third after the wild throw. The throw back to the thirdbaseman was perfect, but he booted the tag and lost the ball behind him for the third error. Then the batter went for home and of course the thirdbaseman's throw sailed well over the catcher's head. DOH!
"Shaddap you!"

Tiger119

Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:37 pm

".......in DFW, but I really miss my Reds - especially listening to Marty and Joe."
DeltaFFinDFW, I have not heard Joe lately, some other guy is in the booth with Marty this year. I have never heard of him and his voice does not sound familiar.

"....the term "Walk-off Home Run." This sounds as if it was coined by one of the ESPN idiots. Yet, it is used commonly...." Idiots? Granted they are no Vin Sculley or Jack Buck, but for the most part, they all are pretty darn good ball callers!

I always wanted to know who decides whether a game is a "Save Opportunity" or not. The home scorer or is it a rule set in stone in the MLB books somewhere?
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

phxairfan

Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:42 pm

JetService, what's that guys name? I think the Diamondbacks want to sign him to a long term deal, so he can play next to Alex Cintron and tie him for the league lead in errors.

JetService

Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:55 pm

LOL Phxairfan!!

Tiger119, a save opportunity is set in stone. A pitcher gets a save when he comes into the game with a three run lead or less, or with the potential tying run on base, at bat or on deck and finishes the game pitching at least one inning.

-OR-

Pitches at least 3 innings regardless of how big the lead is and finishes the game.

If he exits the game before its over in either situation, but still maintains the lead, then he is credited with a 'hold'.

Also, if his team ends up going into the ninth inning tied and wins, then he no longer gets the save, but rather credited with a win.
"Shaddap you!"