MD-90
Topic Author

Which Car Should My Parents Buy For Me?

Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:27 am

I would say, none, but my mother has offered to buy me another car. We already have four vehicles, which is clearly not enough for three drivers. I could drive the F-150, but it uses too much gas and it's hard to park on campus. The Dodge Grand Caravan is very useful, and Mom is trying to save it and not put miles on it (or on the 3 month old transmission). The Lumina is just a POS.

So...

I want a sedan, not a small car (like a Civic, although I am considering the Protege), probably used, no more than $16,000. Mom wants new Camry, which I definately do NOT want. I want a 2000-2001 Nissan Maxima SE. It preferably would be a sporty sedan and it must have a stickshift. Mom wants the fewest miles possible, no more than 60K at the max. Passats are still nice, but Volkswagen's reputation ain't so hot right now.

There is a local 2001 Accord LX sedan, white, 4-cylinder, stick. It has 60,000 miles on it and the Honda dealer is asking $11,000. It's not bad, but Accords are boring (Mom really liked driving it, however. More so than the Maxima, even. I think she liked the fully independent suspension, but I'm not sure).

Personally, I really want a Maxima (I think), but we'll have to wait and see.

My car is definately not going to be fixed, because airbags are expensive to replace. The newer ones can cost $1500 apiece.

And if it just ticks you off that my parents are willing (yes, I'll agree that they're nuts) to buy me a more expensive car than the one that I totalled, don't bother responding. I know it's strange, but this has all been at my parents' urging, not mine. Truth is stranger than fiction.

WellHung

RE: Which Car Should My Parents Buy For Me?

Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:33 am

I would suggest a used 328i, but the 1997 model I bought with money from my management job that I've had since I was 15 is worth $28,500. I would imagine more recent models would exceed that and would therefore fall outside your price range. Unless of course, mine is just special.

Signed,
Flight152

b757300

Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:47 am

I'd suggest taking a look at some of the Saturn vehicles including their SUV, the Vue. You could easily get a new or almost new Saturn for $16,000 or less. Of course they can cost a lot more depending on how many bells and whistles you add and the Vue obviously will cost more than the cars.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

L.1011

Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:51 am

ONE WORD:

The best you can get in your price range is a 1997 528i (straight 6) in good condition, a 1998 528i in average condition, a 2000 in poor condition. For a 540i V8, a 98 in poor condition is the best.

MaverickM11

Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:52 am

"And if it just ticks you off that my parents are willing (yes, I'll agree that they're nuts) to buy me a more expensive car than the one that I totalled, don't bother responding. I know it's strange, but this has all been at my parents' urging, not mine. Truth is stranger than fiction."

Are you from Boca Raton?
E pur si muove -Galileo

DC10GUY

Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:15 pm

MD-90, No wonder your a republican ... You don't have to work for anything !!! Why don't you go with a BMW Z4 ???
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

flymia

Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:26 pm

Well if you dont mind the gas I would suggest and Land Rover Discovery. An 99 Discovery that cost $55,000 are now going for $15,000 and that is over priced. It is a very relible truck! Just buy a BMW if you dont want the gas. Let me tell you tha BMW makes the engines for Land Rover. Atleast the 99 series. Great buy that truck can go any where and will last for 20 years!
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

vafi88

Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:36 pm

Simple!

You can get a Mazda 3 Starting at about 14,000$ brand new!

They come in 5 door versions too, good, quality car.
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

Alpha 1

Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:39 pm

Why don't you wait till your old enough, and have enough money to buy one yourself? That's the way most of us have to do it.

Usairwys757

Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:42 pm

Why don't you wait till your old enough, and have enough money to buy one yourself? That's the way most of us have to do it.

I always have to respect Alpha's great Democratic view of things. Nicely done.  Big grin
Inactive.....

phxairfan

Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:47 pm

I agree with B757300, look at some of the saturns. They are awesome cars, and they last a long time. Not to mention you can cruise at about 100 no problem. You can prolly pick up a rather new one for about 10k as well. Good luck finding a new car.

JBirdAV8r

Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:58 pm

I'm gonna agree with Vafi88. The Mazda 3 starts around 13-14k, is a fairly "rare" car still, and is based on the new Volvo S40, which is hot in itself.

I'd go for the four-door version of it though.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

vafi88

Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:08 pm

I heard that the Mazda 3 is a pretty fast and speed as well as control oriented car, sure does look good too, outside and inside as well.
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

Delta767300ER

MD-90

Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:18 pm

If your worried about the Accord being boring you could drop it by 1", put a loud fartpipe on it, put Japaneese racing stickers, and a St. Louis arch looking wing and make it stand out.  Big thumbs up

-Delta767300ER

DfwRevolution

Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:31 pm

MD-90, No wonder your a republican ... You don't have to work for anything !!! Why don't you go with a BMW Z4 ???

Yes we Republicans work for nothing. Thank you for blindly sterotyping me and countless others.... because in the end everyone in the highest levels of politics are rich, white, and male regardless of party affiliation. And that last tidbit is no sterotype.

Just buy a BMW if you dont want the gas. Let me tell you tha BMW makes the engines for Land Rover.

I believe the 3-series burns premium? That adds up quite a lot of money for the life of a car. A sedan burning premium is usually on par with a SUV burning regular from a cost standpoint.

And regarding the 2000-2003 model years for the 3-series, watch out, I've heard *very* negative reviews for long term reliabilty. Seems they've iorned out some of it for this model year.

MaverickM11

Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:37 pm

"That's the way most of us have to do it."

So if he has the opportunity to do it differently he shouldn't because everyone else does it your way?

That said, this sounds like a lot of my high school peers in Boca Raton. Parents buy them a car (nothing wrong with that), they crash it (probably after attending a party where the parents supplied the liquor), and then parents buy them a new one (not ok--not that this is the case here).
E pur si muove -Galileo

DfwRevolution

Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:48 pm

There is a local 2001 Accord LX sedan, white, 4-cylinder, stick. It has 60,000 miles on it and the Honda dealer is asking $11,000. It's not bad, but Accords are boring

Go with it. It's a quality car, you're young so you can't complain all that much. You have the rest of your life to drive wonderful cars, trust me, as someone in the process of buying their first car with their own money (my first car was the "kid" car, older Camry than yours) it feels much better to sit behind the wheel of an upscale car when you know you got there on your own.

The stick should make it somewhat envigorating, you can have some fun with those V-tec 4 bangers. 60k on a 2001 model is interesting... lotta driving that fellow did. But for a Honda this probably shouldn't be an issue. Check CarMax.com or other sites, they'res some decent buys out there as well.

nycfuturepilot

Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:04 pm

I would go for any honda product, I have a friend that has 203,000 miles on his and never had a problem. Can use it forever and they look great.
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

VonRichtofen

Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:41 pm

"And if it just ticks you off that my parents are willing (yes, I'll agree that they're nuts) to buy me a more expensive car than the one that I totalled, don't bother responding. I know it's strange, but this has all been at my parents' urging, not mine. Truth is stranger than fiction."

Hey at least you're honest about your parents buying your car. Not like the weekly "Which car should I buy next" threads by 16-20 year olds with a list of cars that most of us can only hope for in the future. I wish I was a manager!!!

QIguy24

Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:46 pm

I agree with JbirdAV8r,

Go with the new Volvo S40. You get a real quality car for a decent kind of money.

Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:15 pm

Oooh, I'm sort of glad that no one has suggested what I'm about to suggest so far. This is probably the car that I will purchase once my current car finally "buys the farm," and no one has mentioned it yet, which means that I am unique.

I know you have sworn off Camrys, but have you checked out the new Corolla? I would probably pick up the S model, which starts at ~$15K. I love Toyotas, as it is the brand that I currently drive. I am very impressed by their reliability. My car has gone 130K miles, and the only thing that I have had to replace are the tires and brakes. Consumer Reports gave the Corolla a really good review as well.

Other good cars: Mazda 3, Honda Civic.

The Civic is a great car, but they are darn near ubiquitous, and kind of boring if you asked me. The Mazda 3 model that I would probably get is the 4-door S model (because it looks like a little Mazda 6) The only thing keeping me from the 3 is the fact that I love Toyotas so much, plus I have a "thing" for rally cars. Plus, the Corolla is about $3000 less than the Mazda 3s version (with ABS, etc.), and I'm at the stage in life where $3000 is still real money.

Anyway, my top three picks in order are:

1. Toyota Corolla S
2. Mazda 3s 4-door
3. Honda Civic LX

'Speed

P.S. I say if your mom and dad are willing to buy you a car, take it!

P.P.S. I have only looked into the manual transmission versions of these, because that's what I prefer

[Edited 2004-07-13 14:25:56]

N6376M

Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:01 pm

What do your band camp friends have to say?????

LHMark

Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:18 pm

Must...not....post....the....General...Lee
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

ANA

Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:23 pm

I agree with the Mazda 3, although you could wait for the new Ford Focus, which the 3 shares its platform with. OR you could go for the current Focus, easily the best handling car in its segment and get nearly new or get a tasty rebate from your Ford dealer who is gagging to sell cars.

Mind you, either are, I suppose, just "safe choices".

Greg

Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:30 pm

'95/96 M3...still the best bargain around if it hasn't been ragged on too much-coupe..not sedan.

If new, I'll agree with ANA....Mazda 3 looks better than most the rice competition.

captaingomes

Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:24 pm

I believe the 3-series burns premium? That adds up quite a lot of money for the life of a car. A sedan burning premium is usually on par with a SUV burning regular from a cost standpoint.

Really? I'd like to see some math please. If you are adding 50 litres of fuel, with a normal price premium of 10 cents per litre, that's an additional $5 Canadian per 50 litres, which is a normal amount to fill on a car with a 60 litre tank. Yes, this math is a Canadian example, but I don't have realistic numbers for an American example. I don't see how that makes such a difference to compare a car that will get mid 20's MPG versus an SUV that will get mid teens MPG. Besides, the same engine that uses premium fuel will burn more efficiently than one with a lower compression ratio, therefore negating at least some of the premium one must pay for the more expensive fuel. So the answer is that a car such as the 3 Series will NOT cost nearly as much to fuel as an SUV.

And regarding the 2000-2003 model years for the 3-series, watch out, I've heard *very* negative reviews for long term reliabilty. Seems they've iorned out some of it for this model year.

The BMW 3 Series has been a very good car reliability-wise. Plus, it's silly to state that the long-term reliability is *very* negative for a maximum 4 year old car.

"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

MD-90
Topic Author

Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:36 pm

What do your band camp friends have to say?????

Nothing, because band camp doesn't start till August 8. I am going down to school on Thursday, as the directors have asked the KKPsi people to play in some Extravaganza thing in Jackson that day. It'll be nice to hear Coach Croom speak.

Somebody sounds jealous...

I have a friend at MSU, a very smart pre-vet major, who's parents now live in Gulf Breeze, Florida. They are not rich, however, unlike most of the people in Gulf Breeze (which is a very nice place to live, probably like Boca Raton. Lots of spoiled teenagers). His Dad is in the Navy, and formerly they lived in Groton, Connecticut. But because he's officially from Gulf Breeze, he has to deal with the stereotype. He does drive a very nice recent model Toyota Celica, loaded, with the 180HP engine.

Anyway.

I will point out that it's not like I've never worked before. I've worked at both Wal-Mart pushing buggies and at Chick-Fil-A as a cashier. But my money has gone towards my tuition, not a car.

Bimmers are nice, but I don't want something that would cost so much to fix when it does break. I love the smoothness of inline Sixes, after I had one in the Cressida. Especially something like an M3, which is practically guaranteed to have been driven hard.

If I got a Civic, it'd have to be an EX. VTEC and all that (plus, that's what my sister has, so it'd have to be an EX). But they're awfully small, even though they're fuel efficient. I just like something a little bigger (but not new Camry or new Maxima big. That's too big).

Corollas are ugly and too tall, in my opinion. We did drive a base model CE Corolla (the only one that had a stick, and it was technically a used car). I've never seen a car like that on a lot that actually had manual locks and windows. No thanks, even though it did have impressive EPA ratings of 32/40 (as good as a hybrid Civic).

I also like the Mazda 3, but I just can't imagine having my parents buy me a NEW car. I surely don't deserve it, especially after wrecking another car. Getting a new car is best done with your own money, in my opinion. I don't want to be like those spoiled brats who get a brand new VW Jetta when they turn 16. Ick.

MD-90, No wonder your a republican ... You don't have to work for anything !!!

To me, that sounds like welfare, which Democrats are all for, aren't they? And Z4s are butt ugly.

kdalaggie

Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:09 pm

I must humbly disagree about the latest Saturn cars. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a good company, it's just the newest Vue and Ion are lacking what the earliest models (which are the ones that made me fall in love with the company) had. Lately, it just seems that the design quality as taken a dip for a few years. My biggest complaints were that the Vue's sounded like a jet engine when standing in front of the grill while it was idling. You had to yell to have a conversation. The Ion has it's battery in the trunk, apparently a convenience location. I kinda took it as they had no room for it up front. Regardless, I've had close friends have problems with this feature.

.....but they still have their astounding side impact doors and craftsmanship on the assembly and most notably safety. I give them a few years to get back on track.

Therefore, I would recommend the Honda and/or the Maxima or Camry since their designs are now in the refinement stages from year to year and have established a very good track record for each respectively.

And yes, they tend to be a little bland, BUT it's what's under the hood that counts. Most college guys around my college town don't know I'm coming until I'm in front.

Just my .02 cents............
Gig'em Ags!!!!

mdsh00

Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:00 pm

Um, my parents bought me a new Acura this year and I'm not a Republican.

One thing about the Saturn VUE since B757300 brought it up. Not a lot of people know this but it actually has a Honda engine under its hood. I believe it's a Honda Pilot engine.

I'd suggest the Scion tC if they sell those in your area. I've seen a few here in LA and they look great. Plusmy dad works for Toyota and tells me they are HOT sellers. http://www.scion.com/drive/gallery/drive_tc_gallery.html
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

Superfly

Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:02 pm

MD-90:
I would suggest a 1973 Dodge Demon!
Then again your are a Christian I don't think that would be prudent.
That was an awesome muscle car, (Duster with all the trim). There is one here in San Francisco that parks in from of a Catholic Church. It's hillarious!

I think the ideal car for you would be the General Lee.
Then you'd be a true Southern right-wing nut!
Bring back the Concorde

LOT767-300ER

Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:21 pm

"Plusmy dad works for Toyota and tells me they are HOT sellers. "

Toyota eh? I will pray for you tonight my good friend.

BN747

Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:04 pm

Must...not....post....the....General...Lee

ROFL.... LHmark... you're off the grid! That was too funny! Yet appropriate! Perfect for him to pull up on campus in the General Lee.. with his invisible friend Ed riding in the trunk!.. now that'll make a statement!

And agree with the earlier post... this kid is way past old enough to go out and earn his next car.. not mooch off his parents! They're gonna need that money at the rate retirement is looking! And MD90.. your parents aren't rich by any means! Get your lazy ass a job and pay for it your damn self.. even if you do wind up with the General Lee!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

mdsh00

Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:27 pm

"Toyota eh? I will pray for you tonight my good friend."

Oh come onn! Toyota makes good cars! And they are trying to shed their Japanese Buick image with the Scion. I take it you don't like Toyota? It's ok, I like Honda better.  Laugh out loud
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

Alessandro

Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:40 pm

Honda Insight, then you have cars in all fuel range in your family....
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

777236ER

Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:21 pm

Why is it L.1011 hates anything American (and those Americans who are left of his far-right views), yet still likes German cars?
Your bone's got a little machine

DfwRevolution

Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:05 pm

Honda Insight, then you have cars in all fuel range in your family....

WHAT!?! Are you kidding me! That has got to be the single WORST car built by Honda! It only seats two people, its cramped, its has terrible comfort.... when hybrids like the Pruis and Civic seat 5 people in comfort and have driving feel of a real car why even bother with that street legal go-cart?

AA777

Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:03 am

I always have to respect Alpha's great Democratic view of things. Nicely done.

WHATEVER man, if your parents offer, go ahead and take it. These people are just jealous, there is nothing wrong with being given a car, its just a privilege that you should show ur gratitude to your parents for... anyhow..

And, to all you haters.... my parents bought me an Audi, and I am not republican either.

My suggestion,

go for either a New VW Jetta... or maybe 2 yrs old.

OR, an Audi A4, PRE 2001.
BMW's are always good, but It will be hard to find one that is relatively new (post 2000 model) for $16,000.

Acura's are probably the best Japanese car you can get, (inifinitis have only improved greatly in the past 3 years, and you wont find anything for 16000)....so, try looking for a RSX or a used TL. They are excellent cars.

-AA777

North County

Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:04 am

MD-90 - nothing wrong in letting your parents buy you a car.

But speaking from experience, nothing feels better then driving off in a car you paid for yourself. (even if it has manual window cranks and locks)

In High School, paid $1700 cash for a 73 VW Superbettle with 80,000 miles. That was a great car. Sold it for $750 5 years later when it had 135,000 miles.

BN747

Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:00 am

MD-90 - nothing wrong in letting your parents buy you a car.

Sure there is...

As a kid (a 15-16 year old) there's nothing wrong with it, it's a good test of your kid's take on responsibilty. At MD90's age, he's now a man (or wants to be seen as one anyway) and if his parents aren't wealthy (which they aren't).. he needs to assume responsibilty now.. not later, but RIGHT NOW!.. or he never really will. His mom didn't get into a wreck and bang up his car.. he did! MD90/Ed or whoever he is.. is always frothing about those who don't do for themselves (esp. minorities).. here's his chance to practice what he preaches or take the easy way out and hitch a ride on his mom's skirt... which is exactly what I think he'll do!

If your parents are loaded.. then it's okay, why? Because they are going to be punching your ticket for the rest of your life anyway, they like feign teaching their kids responsibilty-- but by their own insistence.... there's no way a Rothschild will be seen actually 'working'. Every rich kid likes to think he's taking responsibilty, but no one takes him seriously (but they will take his money seriously)... everyone knows his family is providing a 'safety net' that most will never come to know. And there's nothing wrong with that.. that's just the way life is.

But if your not wealthy, your parents very future (retirement) rest on what assets they possess now... and he's not helping that any by letting them bail him out. If he was remotely lose to the 'upstanding self-sufficient' individual he thinks he is... he'd get a job somewhere and by his own car or just cart his ass around on the city bus like other students.

BN747

"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

seb146

Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:31 am

Here's an idea:

Get a job and buy your own car. Your parents are not always going to be around and it will show you the value of hard work.

GO CANUCKS!!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

captaingomes

Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:38 am

Perhaps his parents have a greater purchasing power than you! Is that a bad thing?  Big grin

I am just replying as such because of your tone.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

luisca

Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:39 am

My parents bought me a Honda civic as a graduation gift, great car. love it.
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

mdsh00

Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:43 am

One thing I dont understand here (I'm defending MD-90 here) is all the older people here bashing him for letting his parents buy him a car. You all sound awfully bitter or something. When I turned 21, my parents bought me a brand new Acura, at the insisting of my parents who wanted me to have what I missed out on as a child (we were not financially stable then). Does that make me spoiled? No. I am always greatful and never ask them for much. Also, since I'm still going through college and have my eyes on a medical career, the stress of schoolwork doesn't really give me time for a job. What it means is that I still need my parents right now. I greatly appreciate my support and I will do for my children as they have done for me.

My point is that just because you let your parents buy you a car when you are young doesn't mean that you will be living your whole life depending on them. It's all a matter of maturity, and who are we to question each others maturity and understanding of financial situations?

So to MD-90, get the car you like...I'll recommend the Scion  Big thumbs up

captaingomes

Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:02 am

Mdsh00, you are correct. Really, the decision of a parent to purchase a car for a child depends on many factors in my opinion. If the "child" is in their 20's and going through school, and have many responsibilities, and have proven to be loyal to their parents, then it's not such a bad idea. If the "child" has proven that they are generally useless, and don't give two shits about their parents, then it's a poor decision. It also depends on not only how dependent the "child" is on their parents, but also how dependent the parents are on their children! I have a 7 year old Jetta that was bought by my parents brand new. However, at the time, I had inherited a car, and it was unfortunately totalled in an accident with a drunk driver. Thankfully, it was parked, and nobody was injured. So in my case, my parents used the money from the totalled car and used it towards a new car. In the mean time, my parents and sister are very dependent on me to help them out as much as possible, so it has helped them out too.

And yes, some people who are on MD's case sound incredibly bitter! But they do have a point that in many cases, it does not teach responsibility to the children.

The next point though is this ... as a parent, if you are able to, do you want to help your kids while you are still around, or after you die? Of course, it all depends on your priorities, and everybody is different.

kdalaggie

Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:37 am

There can be a difference, learning and just being given.....

I was a very blessed person in that my parents got me two cars. My first was a 1977 Impala we had had for eight years. I drove it for two years (my family averages about a 10 year car span) then I got a 92 Lumina. GOD I really loved both of those cars. Unlike a friend who caused a wreck in a Cobra in Dallas, and Daddy bought him a 300ZX (the hot car at the time.)

For me, my parents said school was my job, and it was. What they also taught me was responsibility. My Dad would often tease my mom by commenting that my '77 always looked cleaner and ran better than her '90 Caprice, all used by the way. I changed the oil and any other thing that needed to be done, I worked with my Dad. Those were the best times. I learned so much from him and still am. It was actually about a year ago when I had to finally give up on my '92. They actually had to fight with me because I kept saying "one more year, one more year" and they got me my first NEW car, a 2003, for my graduation from graduate school (a year early, but I really needed it, in hind sight).

Knowing that this was my last 'push' from my parents I make sure that I respect them and their gift by taking care of my car. It gives me great pride to have my parents come for a visit and my Dad to remark that mine is still the best driving and looking of the family's, (my parents (2004) and grandfather (2003) also have the same model).

Most of all it taught me responsibility and pride in ownership which extends to my home and my work along with my work ethic.

Sorry it was so long winded.....I am and will always be grateful to my parents for what they did for me to help me get where I am now......Love ya M&D!

KDAL
Gig'em Ags!!!!

BN747

Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:47 am

When I turned 21, my parents bought me a brand new Acura, at the insisting of my parents who wanted me to have what I missed out on as a child (we were not financially stable then). Does that make me spoiled? No. I am always greatful and never ask them for much. Also, since I'm still going through college and have my eyes on a medical career, the stress of schoolwork doesn't really give me time for a job. What it means is that I still need my parents right now. I greatly appreciate my support and I will do for my children as they have done for me.

My point is that just because you let your parents buy you a car when you are young doesn't mean that you will be living your whole life depending on them.

You're getting way ahead of yourself sport! You don't know the answer to that yet.... you're still attached to the financial umbilical cord! You are fast tracking and lining yourself up to be living at home when you're age 30 after attending medical school (and accumulating the educational cost).

Actually, I don't give a rat's ass what any parents do for their kids.. but given that MD90 constantly bitches about assisting aliens (illegal or other wise and minorities) while preaching self-reliance and railing against social assistance relentlessly... here is his big chance to walk the talk! And what does he do? He finds an excuse (as a man) to accept help from his mother to extract him from a disaster of his own making. It's merely a sign of the things to come and a clear exposure of a hypocritical character flaw.

BN747

jutes85

Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:21 am

Mdsh00,

Any info on when the Scion is coming to the frozen north?
nothing

mdsh00

Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:09 am

You're getting way ahead of yourself sport! You don't know the answer to that yet....

Maybe so. But I think that seeing my parents go through harder times has made me appreciate the value of money, unlike my younger brother.

The next point though is this ... as a parent, if you are able to, do you want to help your kids while you are still around, or after you die? Of course, it all depends on your priorities, and everybody is different.

I would want to help my future kids while I'm still alive.

Jutes85,
No idea about the Scion. Check the site. I doubt my dad doesn't even know since he doesn't work for the sales division.

SophieMaltese

Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:49 am

Hey at least you're honest about your parents buying your car. Not like the weekly "Which car should I buy next" threads by 16-20 year olds with a list of cars that most of us can only hope for in the future

I can't agree with that more. It gets so old hearing someone brag about some b.s. car they're getting when in fact they probably ride the bus.

MD-90
Topic Author

Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:40 am

BN747 doesn't seem to care for the power and support of an actual family.

Well, there's no rush or anything. I'll probably be taking Mom's 97 Grand Caravan to school for a while. I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow (it was raining by the time I got home today) and post it on here. It's a nice van, candy apple red, drives nicely, but definately not cool. But the a/c works, the Infinity stereo is alright, and to give Dodge credit, it does drive beautifully (for something with that much bulk). There's no hurry, really.

I'll be in a Dordge (Superfly, I hope you're not such a Californian that you don't recognize that particular pronunciation).

VW Jettas are too small for my tastes. Ever sit in the back of one that has a sunroof? My head was touching the ceiling. And we're definately not getting any luxury car. I do like the VW Passat (a pre-B5.5 model for me, though, I prefer the older styling), but VeeDub's reliability has just been the pits, lately.

brag about some b.s. car they're getting when in fact they probably ride the bus.

We don't even have school busses in the town where I grew up in, let alone a metro bus system. Big grin Not having school busses is inconvenient for parents, though.

BN747, my parents can easily afford another car. I wouldn't say we're upper middle class, but comfortably well off and yes, I'm touched by your concern, but their rollover IRA and 401Ks are doing just fine.

This is what I like.