IwantaBBJ
Topic Author

Advice Needed For Our Vacation In Australia

Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:22 pm

Hi all
I'm planning a vacation this December in Australia; We have two options; either have all hotels booked here or book them while enroute.

Our travel agent says that there should be no problems whatsoever to find hotels on a walkup-basis during that time....

Is there anyone with experience in this matter? Someone, who has done the same during that time and just walked up to the lobby requesting a room?

ben

RE: Advice Needed For Our Vacation In Australia

Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:52 pm

I do that all the time on my travels and have never had a problem.

I don't think you will have any trouble in the big cities, but as I do, I suggest you carry a travel guide book (I use Lonely Planet) and call ahead either the day before or in the morning to check availability in smaller towns. That way you wont get a shock when you discover a town has only one hotel and it's full.

Don't forget the Western side of Australia, that's where I'm from. It's a long way to go, I realise... but worth it, I hope. You can get some fairly cheap flights now that Virgin Blue are on the scene.

scottysair

Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:12 am

I will do that for go on the travels in Australia for your first time. If even try to find something meet with your new friends in SYD.

Qantasflyer

Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:53 pm

That really depends on where you are going it should not be a problem in the capitals however i have had experience at the Gold Coast at around that time and i can tell you its not sweet!

Regards
Qantasflyer That's the spirit. The Spirit of Australia!

ZKSUJ

Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:59 pm

Like Qantasflyer said, if you are gooing to the Gold Coast/Brisbane area, book in advance, it's not a pretty site trying and failing to get a hotel. Alot of tourists go there as it is Summer.
Any chance you will be visiting NZ as well?

JGPH1A

Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:00 pm

It depends a lot on where you're going, but rule of thumb - if you know where you're going to be, try and prebook somewhere - its just easier, and you have somewhere to head for. Also, you can get better deals booking in advance.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

worldoftui

Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:12 am

I was in Sydney for Christmas and New Year, and by the 22nd ish, if you didn't have a bed booked, you weren't going to get one, well, not cheaply at least.

As JGPH1A said, if you know where you are going, I would reserve ahead for that time of year.

I was staying in hostels, not hotels. The hotel experience might be different. But from my experience as a travel agent of several years, I would advise against walk-up bookings in Australia any time near Christmas or New Year.

Mark