Frontiercpt

Tornado Shelters Built Into Slopes, And Banks?

Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:21 am

OK, I was driving down the road(fine, my friend was driving me), and suddenly, I remembered that my Gramma had wanted to check the weather for today, which I had forgotten to do, which then somehow got me to wonder, if you were driving down the freeway or something, and looked outside, and saw bad weather, and heard the tornado sirens going off, besides trying to get home, and into your basement(if you have one), or bathtub, or whatever you use, what if you didn't think it would be wise to be on the road? So, I was like, well, pull over on the side, and get in a ditch, but then I was like, hmm.....what if there were like, concrete tornado shelters for the public, built in random places, but put in the ground, like, in a slope, or a bank, or something? They could hold, like, 100-150 people. It could have a hinged door, that is easy to use, or like, a sliding steel door or something. What do you guys think? I know it is improbable, and it would be expensive to build a lot of these....but what are your opinions?
~Sean~

174thfwff

RE: Tornado Shelters Built Into Slopes, And Banks?

Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:29 am

I believe a lot of times tornados occur in places with long stretches of flat land. I don't think the idea would work on the lack of hills alone.
-174th
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

L.1011

Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:32 am

Most people who get caught outside run to the one kind of hill you find everywhere...highway overpasses. It wouldn't be difficult to build a fully enclosed shelter in the side of the overpass, perhaps even a drive-in one.

prosa

Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:10 pm

Most people who get caught outside run to the one kind of hill you find everywhere...highway overpasses. It wouldn't be difficult to build a fully enclosed shelter in the side of the overpass, perhaps even a drive-in one.

Hiding from a tornado under a highway overpass can be a very bad idea. The tornado can create a powerful wind-tunnel effect if it passes nearby, scouring out the area under the overpass.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

N670UW

Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:19 pm

...and it would always end up that you'd be far from a public tornado shelter when you actually need one.  Laugh out loud

It's a good idea, but the costs would probably be overwhelming, not to mention the most populated areas of this country rarely see major tornado events (with the exception of major central U.S. metropolitan areas).

Hiding from a tornado under a highway overpass can be a very bad idea. The tornado can create a powerful wind-tunnel effect if it passes nearby, scouring out the area under the overpass.

Yes, highway overpasses are some of the most unsafe places you can be during a tornado. The safest place is to lie flat in a low-lying area, such as a ditch, and to stay as far away from the car as possible.