IndianGuy

Whose Money Is Funding The Occupation Of Iraq?

Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:14 pm

It seems that much of the money sanctioned for the occupation and subjugation of Iraq has not been used after all! Why? Becuase the American occupation force found it much more convenient to tap into the resources fo the country they had occupied. Just like British in India charged the Indians for the occupation of India!

Some links to the story:

http://www.occupationwatch.org/article.php?id=5473

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A26310-2004Jul3.html

Some excerpts:

The U.S.-led occupation authorities were much quicker to channel Iraq's own money, expending or earmarking nearly all of $20 billion in a special development fund fed by the country's oil sales, a congressional investigator said.

Only $366 million of the $18.4 billion U.S. aid package had been spent as of June 22, the White House budget office told Congress in a report that offers the first detailed accounting of the massive reconstruction package.

Thus far, according to the report, nothing from the package has been spent on construction, health care, sanitation and water projects. More money has been spent on administration than all projects related to education, human rights, democracy and governance.

Will there be an end to this continued rape of that country?

-Roy

L-188

RE: Whose Money Is Funding The Occupation Of Iraq?

Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:43 pm

Iraq gets 366 million dollars free and you call it a rape?

If anybody is getting raped it is the US taxpayer.

If it had been a loan I wouldn't be so bitter about it.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

cfalk

Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:15 pm

Spending Iraqi oil money to employ Iraqis and to build infrastructure to help Iraqis. How shameful...  Insane

The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Horus

Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:50 pm

Invading a country on false pretences, killing thousands (including US and British soldiers) needlessly and then stealing the oil revenues...marvelous...just marvelous

Spending Iraqi oil money to employ Iraqis and to build infrastructure to help Iraqis.

Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin I needed that Cfalk, thanks for the laugh! Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin
EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

L-188

Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:52 pm

Horus, I still haven't figured out how the US is stealing oil revenues from a country that had an oil export embargo placed on it?

Alpha 1

Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:42 pm

If anybody is getting raped it is the US taxpayer.

And yet, L-188, you still think this war is some great, noble thing.

Spending Iraqi oil money to employ Iraqis and to build infrastructure to help Iraqis. How shameful...

Yes, how dare we try to employ them. Scandalous (dripping with sarcasm).

And yes, Horus, and my old friend, Tovarich, what is wrong with channeling that oil money to rebuild the infrastructure. Remember, I'm against this war, but it's a fact of life, and if we're going to rebuild it, that's the easiest way to do it.

Nice to see you, by the way, Comrade. You haven't started a hate-fulled anti-American post in a long time.  Big grin

IndianGuy

Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:20 pm

My dear Alpha1:
Aaah! Alpha1 with his pseudo-liberal rants! A wannabe liberal but with extreme views! Jump off the fence dude and take a stand!

And DO NOT, repeat DO NOT keep using words like Tovarich. Keep the discussion moderate. You have been warned!!

what is wrong with channeling that oil money to rebuild the infrastructure.

You obviously have not bothered to read the articles or even the summary. (Why am i not surprised?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy) so for your benefit, here is a part of the article re-posted (in Bold for your benefit and all the others hard of reading)

Thus far, according to the report, nothing from the package has been spent on construction, health care, sanitation and water projects. More money has been spent on administration than all projects related to education, human rights, democracy and governance.

-Roy

Alpha 1

Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:26 pm

Aaah! Alpha1 with his pseudo-liberal rants! A wannabe liberal but with extreme views!

I am liberal-not in the way my right wing friends like B757300, or Jcs17 think of as a liberal, but, in American terms, I am center-left, comrade. I always get a kick when you paint me as some sort of extremist. That always gives me a good chuckle.

And DO NOT, repeat DO NOT keep using words like Tovarich. Keep the discussion moderate. You have been warned!!

Why? Or you'll cry to the moderators? You can certainly dish it out, comrade, but you can't take it, can you?  Laugh out loud

And I read the rest, Roy. I don't see what you're up in arms over-except for that fact, as usual, that you have a chance to spit on America or Americans, which is your favorite past-time.

NWA742

Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:31 pm

Oh God..........................did YOU just tell someone to be moderate, Tovarich?

This coming from the most extreme member regarding beliefs on this webpage?

Oh the irony and hypocrisy simply makes me laugh, yet frown at how sad that is.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

Russophile

Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:43 pm

Why? Or you'll cry to the moderators? You can certainly dish it out, comrade, but you can't take it, can you?

No, because it makes you look like a moron. The word is товарищ (tovarishch).

Only someone who comes from a pissweak educational system would spell it as товарич (tovarich).

Which would explain why that spelling is used incorrectly, almost exclusively, by Americans Big grin

Alpha 1

Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:52 pm

No, because it makes you look like a moron. The word is товарищ (tovarishch).

I've seen it spelled "tovarich" in many publications, so don't go correcting me, OK? If you don't like it, too bad. It has nothing to do with education, but how it's spelled IN THIS COUNTRY. If that's the best you can hammer me with, tovarich, then you don't have much.

Russophile

Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:09 pm

If you wanna try to look cool and smart, don't fuck up.

Like I said. The result of a pissweak educational system. Just because it's how it's spelt there, doesn't make it right. And yes, it does look moronic, and yes you are wrong, so I will correct you, OK?

By the way, in your country, it is spelt comrade.

Anyway, off to have a bowl of borshch -- that's borch to the illiterate and uneducated.

Alpha 1

Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:13 pm

TOVARICH TOVARICH TOVARICH TOVARICH TOVARICH

Are you getting pissed off yet? Good!

rjpieces

Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:51 pm

Forgive the ignorance Alpha, but what is Tovarich?

Whatever the heck it is, I like it...Sure is pissing off these two Anti-American luns.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

cfalk

Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:56 pm

Now, now, boys, settle down.

Roy, the quote you make so boldly applies to U.S. funds from U.S. taxpayers, and if you really believe that the U.S. has only spent $366 million (apart from military) since last october, you probably also believe in the tooth fairy. In any case, I think it is inaccurate, as many projects are being funded through other vehicles, like the military, and that many of the ongoing projects (about 500 of them) have not been included, in a MichaelMoorish omission.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

lehpron

Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:59 pm

ANYWAY back to topic....

One question about the bold text:

>>"Thus far, according to the report, nothing from the package has been spent on construction, health care, sanitation and water projects. More money has been spent on administration than all projects related to education, human rights, democracy and governance. "<<

Am I to understand that more money went into the Iraqi government than anything else? Wouldn't that be one of the priorities anyway? What is a working government in a country without a working government? It is nice to have power and plumbing, I think some type of order is just as necessary, don't you? Technically once they have 'ordered themselves', then they can decide how to distribute oil funds to their remaining sectors.

Edit: Cfalk answered my question regarding cash depletion.  Big grin

[Edited 2004-07-18 08:02:24]
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

L-188

Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:04 pm

Also the term administration covers a lot of ground..

And yet, L-188, you still think this war is some great, noble thing.

Don't put words in my mouth, or thoughts in my head that aren't there, Alpha1.

ly7e7

Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:45 pm

Russophile:
Russian is not exactly an international language. Not knowing it does not point out miseducation. That hurts you russian ego, but hey : tough.

S tovarishcheskim privetom.
2 things are endless: ignorance and space

Russophile

Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:07 pm

Russian is not exactly an international language. Not knowing it does not point out miseducation. That hurts you russian ego, but hey : tough.

First thing, I'm not Russian.

But exactly. Russian isn't an international language in the same vein as English. But if you are going to try to use the language to try and be a smart arse, at least get it right, because otherwise you look like a complete tool! A la above.

TOVARICH TOVARICH TOVARICH TOVARICH TOVARICH

Are you getting pissed off yet? Good!

Not at all. I'm not the one who looks like a VANKA VANKA VANKA VANKA VANKA

Are you totally clueless yet? Good!

*I am sure you will be wondering what is a Vanka. Have a look in your folklore books, and see who Vanka typically was.

Alpha 1

Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:04 pm

Don't put words in my mouth, or thoughts in my head that aren't there, Alpha1.

No, you've just defended and apologized for this president at every turn concerning this conflict, that's all. Butdon't put words in your mouth. Right.

And Russophile, you're making an awful big stink because someone spells something different that you do, tovarich. And no, I'm not going to change the spelling I've seen for years, just to please you. If you don't like it, tough cookies.

Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:11 am

The people that died in this war are far less than the number of people that would have died in the very near future from Saddam Hussein's torture or perhaps another terrorist attack. If we would not have done anything, who knows what kind of an attack they could have made on Americans by now. I understand that every human life is important, but we have to defend ourselves and plan for the future.

IndianGuy

Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:32 am

criminal politicians like GWB build their careers by first creating a climate of fear, using that fear to polarie entire communities and then exploiting the polarizaation for political benefit.

Bushcheney2004 shows the typical brainwashed mentality. Unfortunate that most Americans dont see how GWB is destroyng the very idea of America. A country that once led the world in the fight against foreign rule is today itself on an imperial pursuit. The biggest casualty is freedom.

-Roy

JeffM

Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:38 am

How true Roy.... what we need is higher taxes, bigger government, more welfare, less choice, socialized healthcare, bigger unions, a weaker military, and the United Nations making all our foreign policy decisions right?

How could we all be so blind....?

dan-air

Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:40 am

How true Roy.... what we need is higher taxes, bigger government, more welfare, less choice, socialized healthcare, bigger unions, a weaker military, and the United Nations making all our foreign policy decisions right?

Do you actually believe this stuff? Do you have anything to back it up? Let's take your silly rant apart:

1. Higher taxes.
  2. Believe it or not, the military is funded by [b]taxes[/b]. Interstate highways are funded by [b]taxes[/b]. The FAA is funded by [b]taxes[/b]. The US has a [b]7 Trillion debt[/b]. How do you propose to pay it? Lower taxes????
  3. Bigger government. Turns out the government has grown far more under [b]Bush[/b] than [b]Clinton[/b]

4. More welfareWhat? Who is getting all this welfare? How would it be increased with Kerry as president, with Republicans having control of the house and potentially the senate also?

5. Bigger unions. Again - where do you come up with this stuff? How on earth can a president influence the size of unions?

6. a weaker militray
  7. . The US started downsizing the military during the Bush 41 administration - the "peace dividend" after the breakup of the Soviet Union. That said, we still have enough nuclear weapons to blow up the entire planet up - 200 times over.
  8. UN making all our foreign policy decisions. Hey Rambo - do you get it yet? In order to police the many dangerous nations we need a coalition of countries. Or you think the US should do it all alone? Half of the US Army is currently in Iraq, and will be there for a significant period of time. What happens after we've deployed the other half?. The UN and Nato is the mechanism by which we establish a coalition.

david b.

Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:44 am

The people that died in this war are far less than the number of people that would have died in the very near future from Saddam Hussein's torture or perhaps another terrorist attack. If we would not have done anything, who knows what kind of an attack they could have made on Americans by now. I understand that every human life is important, but we have to defend ourselves and plan for the future.

Big grin
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

rjpieces

Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:58 am

criminal politicians like GWB build their careers by first creating a climate of fear, using that fear to polarie entire communities and then exploiting the polarizaation for political benefit.

Uhhh, how is he criminal? Second, could you not argue that American society has been built around fear from the beginning? Heck, most countries and societies are built around fear. And finally, do you really think GWB and his advisers think about how to best scare the shit out of people? If you honestly think that then you have been brainwashed. If there was ever another terrorist attack on US soil, Bush doesn't want to be told "You didn't warn us." So the other alternative is to warn the people every time we receive a threat and the unfortunate consequence of that is fear. If you do you're screwed, if you don't your screwed. Choose which way you want to be screwed.

Bushcheney2004 shows the typical brainwashed mentality. Unfortunate that most Americans dont see how GWB is destroyng the very idea of America. A country that once led the world in the fight against foreign rule is today itself on an imperial pursuit. The biggest casualty is freedom.

Imperial pursuit...That's a funny one. America hardly resembles the past empires of the world......Not to mention that 25 years ago historians thought we were at the peak of our empire and about to collapse. Look at us now; hardly the British Empire.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

JeffM

Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:03 am

"The US has a [b]7 Trillion debt[/b]. How do you propose to pay it? Lower taxes????"

YES!

See...you catch on fast...

Want more income from taxes? Let people buy more. Want people to buy more? Let them keep more of the money they work for...

go canada!

Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:06 am

Imperial Pursuits? Well If your calling the USA imperialist then so is India for keeping Kashmir and having wars over it.
It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:13 am

Jeff, you are absolutely right  Big thumbs up

Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:18 am

Keeping on topic... The profits from oil sales certainly aren't going into medicare, or Head Start, or any other domestic U.S. program. They going towards Iraq. If some of it has to go to defray the billions its costing the U.S. to try to keep the peace and fight terrorism, then I don't think you'll find many Iraqis complaining.

It doesn't do a whole lot of good to spend a million now on building new hospitals if terrorists blow it up next week. Hierarchy of needs...

dan-air

Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:24 am

Want more income from taxes? Let people buy more. Want people to buy more? Let them keep more of the money they work for...

I see - so if we eliminate taxes altogether we'd have a fabulous military and everyone would be rich - simply because they "buy stuff".

Where did you get your degree in economics? Walmart?

Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:03 am

Hey Dan-Air, you are putting words into Jeff's mouth. He said let people keep more and he did not say let them keep everything. And it is a proven fact that the more money you can keep from paying taxes the more you are going to spend, which stimulates the economy, which gives money back to the government. It is a win-win situation.

dan-air

Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:20 am

If it is a "proven fact" - what "fact" would that be? OK you guys, I'll give you a clue: A fact is a statement that proves a point by offering evidence. Neither you nor the other "less-taxes" genius has offered anything. Come on, arent' you going to at least mention Reagan's tax-cuts in the 80's?

Just because George Bush says it, doesn't make it so! (WMD's anyone?)

JeffM

Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:20 am

" see - so if we eliminate taxes altogether we'd have a fabulous military and everyone would be rich - simply because they "buy stuff"."

Sure, just twist the statement I made to fit your twisted liberal logic. Or, take the time to try and understand a simple concept. I said nothing about eliminating taxes.... that is a product of your convoluted mind.

Big grin

dan-air

Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:32 am

Jeff: your childish "twisted liberal logic" just doesn't cut the mustard. Are you capable of answering a question? How is that convoluted?

I challenged you to offer some facts to support your case. Both of your replies to my challenge contain NO FACTS, just gibberish "liberal" taunts. In any case, who said I was a liberal?

Once again, a fact looks like this:

When X was done in the year XXXX, Y was the result.

A simple enough concept even for your "convoluted mind" no?  Wink/being sarcastic

Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:37 am

Dan-air, are you denying that you are a liberal?

diamond

Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:45 am

BushCheney2004 has an alter-ego on this site. Anyone care to guess who it is?
Blank.

dan-air

Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:51 am

BushCheney: Denying being a liberal? What does my being a liberal or otherwise have to do with anything?

Are you guys so blinkered that everything has to be labelled "Conservative or Liberal", "Black or White", "With us or against us"? Sheesh. Did you graduate from high-school yet?

Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:56 am

Dan-air, you just made a label by saying "you guys". I was the only one who you were referring to.

In any case, who said I was a liberal?

that's why I asked

dan-air

Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:13 am

BushCheney: "you guys"

OK, guilty as charged. And I am a liberal.

Now help JeffM back up his laundry-list of assertions regarding a Kerry presidency, or backup your own post:

Iraq was not a threat. President Bush to this day is still trying to justify the war in Iraq. Bin Laden is a threat. Hussein was contained and not a threat to the United States.

Defend your position.

Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:42 am

The United States being the largest worldpower, can help out the people of the nation of Iraq and free them from an evil dictator. Also, Saddam Hussein may not have been a threat, but many people in his country who are terrorists are. Also I believe that a life is a life, be it Iraqi or American, and I think we can all agree that Saddam Hussein tortured and killed many of his own people for no good reason. Those are the lives that will be saved in the future. Even according to the CNN pole 78% of the people of Iraq support the new government.

Alpha 1

Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:05 am

Also, Saddam Hussein may not have been a threat, but many people in his country who are terrorists are.

ROTFL. Son, there's more terrorists there now, thanks to our invasion, than there ever were when Saddam was around.  Laugh out loud

Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:36 am

Yeah right. It is a lot better now.  Big grin

Alpha 1

Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:39 am

In one way, it has to be, Bush PR Kid, but in another, we've opened up a wave of terrorism against Iraqi's and ourselves. This war, which your hero said was over 14 months ago, is still going on, with no exit strategy in sight.

Not exactly a great thing when you're running for re-election, and a majority of the people think the war was a mistake.

dan-air

Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:53 am

The United States being the largest worldpower, can help out the people of the nation of Iraq and free them from an evil dictator.

That is not the stated reason for invading Iraq.

Weapons of Mass Destruction.
45-minute launch capability.
Nuclear capability.

All proven lies. Cost so far: 890 american sericemen killed, thousands maimed for life. $125 Billion spent. No end in sight. A disaster.

[Edited 2004-07-19 02:56:47]

[Edited 2004-07-19 02:57:43]

Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:05 am

The WMD's were not proven wrong, they just have not yet been proven right YET.

Schoenorama

Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:08 am

Bushcheny2000:

"The United States being the largest worldpower, can help out the people of the nation of Iraq and free them from an evil dictator."

Then why didn't Reagan help the people of Iraq ages ago, instead of giving Saddam anthrax?

"Also, Saddam Hussein may not have been a threat, but many people in his country who are terrorists are."

There were no terrorist in Iraq before the war, Ben.

"Also I believe that a life is a life, be it Iraqi or American, and I think we can all agree that Saddam Hussein tortured and killed many of his own people for no good reason."

True, but he's been doing so for ages. He was already doing it when Rumsfeld shook hands with him more than a decade ago.

"Those are the lives that will be saved in the future."

Imagine the lives which could have been saved if Reagan wouldn't have backed Saddam when he was fighting against Iran!

"Even according to the CNN pole 78% of the people of Iraq support the new government."

Well, compared with Saddam...

Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

Alpha 1

Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:09 am

The WMD's were not proven wrong, they just have not yet been proven right YET.

Keep dreaming, PR boy. They won't be found, because, as several reports have said, the intel on them were completely wrong, in some cased derived from a single, suspect source.

Saddam never had a cache of WMD, betwteen the time 1441 was passed and when Bush launched this ill-gotten, ill-conceived war. But, unfortunately, he wasn't man enough to admit it, and made up other excuses for the invasion. History will judge him in a bad light for that.

jutes85

Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:16 pm

Forgive the ignorance Alpha, but what is Tovarich?

Comrade

Hey, there is only ONE Canada on this planet.  Big grin

Very true. Saddam, whether he had WMD or not, needed to be replaced and disposed of, if you do not agree with that - David b. - you might as well go to the local Al-Queda meeting.

"The US has a [b]7 Trillion debt[/b].

Debt is not a huge issue, terrorism is.

Hussein was contained and not a threat to the United States.

Hussein was a threat to the entire world. However, there were two countries that wanted him out the most, US and Israel.

Son, there's more terrorists there now, thanks to our invasion, than there ever were when Saddam was around.

True. But would you rather have the majority of terrorists hiding throughout the world, or fighting a loosing battle in Iraq against the world superpower. I rather have thousands of terrorist scum bodybags then American, Canadian, European etc body bags from 9/11.

They won't be found, because, as several reports have said, the intel on them were completely wrong, in some cased derived from a single, suspect source.

Actually, I there is suspicion that Mossad gave some "intel".  Big grin
nothing

dahawaiian

Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:02 pm

Here we go again, oh wait, I am already too late.