MD-90
Topic Author

Libertarian Nuts Versus Neocons!

Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:17 am

Question 1: If a U.S. president waged a bloody war against his own people, took joy in implementing martial law, and replaced a relatively free republic with a centralized and less-free mega-state, is he: A) a tyrant or B) the nation’s greatest president?

Libertarian nuts: A
Neoncons: B

Question 2: If a nation has troops in 143 nations, starves the defenseless children of a small far-off nation for no particular reason and routinely bombs foreign peoples on the whim of the nation’s leader, its foreign policy is: A) evil; B) imperialistic; or C) wonderful, although not quite aggressive enough?

Libertarian nuts: A and B
Neocons: C

Question 3: The federal government is a large and out-of-control behemoth. If a Republican president slows its rate of growth from, say, 7 percent to 4 percent, and returns a sliver of its subjects’ tax dollars, that is: A) meaningless or B) a revolutionary achievement?

Libertarian nuts: A
Neocons: B

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/greenhut3.html

Lewrockwell.com rules. Anti-state, anti-war, pro-free market.

RE: Libertarian Nuts Versus Neocons!

Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:20 am

None of this is even remotely accurate

MD-90
Topic Author

Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:28 am

Yes it is. Big grin

(In the full interests of disclosure, I should admit that I don't mind being called a paleo-libertarian)

NWA742

Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:32 am

Big grin

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

DLKAPA

Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:46 am

I'm gonna have to agree with MD-90 on this one. He pretty well hit the nail on the head.

And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

aloges

Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:05 am

Nice thread, but... "Libertarian nut", "neocon", "paleo-libertarian" - you folks are just too damn confusing.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

DLKAPA

Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:13 am

Aloges- Basically Libertarian nut and Neocon are polar opposites. Anything with the word "paleo" attatched is centrist. At least that's how I look at it, and it makes things much easier.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

iakobos

Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:30 am

DLKAPA as "my big fat Greek wedding" has brilliantly demonstrated, everything derives from (ancient) Greece.
Palaios means "ancient", everyword starting with paleo refers thus to "old".

aloges

Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:39 am

Thanks. But what about the Libertarian Party, then? I thought they were a "slight bit" right-wing?  Confused
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

DLKAPA

Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:23 am

Yeah, I know Paleo actually means old, but in politics, it's basically middle of the road.

Superfly

Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:28 am

A Libertarian is a Republican that likes to get laid, smoke pot and drink. Basiclly a Republican that I can get along with.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

b757300

Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:42 am

Lew Rockwell is a nutcase just like Pat Buchanan.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

L.1011

Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:52 am

As far as fiscal issues go, Libertarians and Republicans are (supposed to be) fairly similar. Basic laiezz-faire (sp?) economics. However, Libertarians don't believe in a strong national defense, they want a small military and to only attack if attacked. In other words, only WWII and Afghanistan, and the Spanish-American War would have been fought in the 20th Century. Socially, libertarians believe that (basically) all victimless crimes should be decriminalized. The GOP has some social libertarians, and some radical moralist christian conservatives. On the political compass scale, I'd guess that most libertarians would be about -5. Mainstream Republicans are about +3, Buccananites are about +5. As for me, believe it or not, I score at about a +1.5 usually. Fiscally I'm +5. And if anyone questions this, here are my recent results:

May 16
Economic Left/Right: 5.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.67
May 22
Economic Left/Right: 6.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.92
May 25, 2004
Economic Left/Right: 6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.44
June 18, 2004
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.49
June 26, 2004
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.1
July 15, 2004
Economic Left/Right: 5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.85

MD-90
Topic Author

Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:11 am

Lew Rockwell is a nutcase? ROTFL. Trust me, he's not. He's not even one of the more "out there" libertarians.

Here are the political labels (there's also a test at the link)
http://www.lewrockwell.com/dmccarthy/dmccarthy14.html

Centrist – Just what it sounds like. Someone who doesn’t have any particularly strong ideological leanings in any direction.

Conservative – Specifically a "fusionist" conservative of the National Review - Heritage Foundation mold. Someone who believes in traditional morality and capitalism, and the need for a limited government to allow both to flourish.

Left-libertarian – The quiz uses a mild definition of a left-libertarian, an anti-statist who is somewhat fearful of corporate and religious influence on public life.

Liberal – Supports economic regulation to promote social justice and takes a progressive stance toward moral or cultural issues.

Libertarian – A libertarian opposes most or all government activites. Does not favor much or any government support for either moral or economic systems.

Neoconservative – A "neocon" is more inclined than other conservatives toward vigorous government in the service of the goals of traditional morality and pro-business policies. Tends to favor a very strong foreign policy of America as well.

Paleoconservative – "Paleocons" want less US involvement in foeign affairs than other conservatives and oppose mass immigration. They are also more favorably disposed toward the South and the idea of secession, or at least decentralization, than neoconservatives.

Paleo-libertarian – Similar to other libertarians except for oppostion to mass immigration, and shares the paleocon appreciation of the South.

Radical – Critical of bouregois morality and strongly opposed to capitalism and willing to use state power to achieve desired ends.

MD-90
Topic Author

Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:16 am

Actually, I took the ideology test at http://www.selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php?client=zeron

1. Paleoconservative
2. Paleo-libertarian

Reasonably accurate, I think.

pacificjourney

Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:00 am

This is a thread for those who crave an identity. Most of those 'categories' are errant nonsense.

If you really need a shoe-box to live in try 'easily lead'.
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "