gregjet

Dual Excust On A Taurus Se

Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:24 am

Does anyone know if u can put dual excust on a ford Taurus
se or gl if some one can help me out with that would really help me thanx

phxairfan

RE: Dual Exhaust On A Taurus SE

Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:32 am

I doubt it unless you got a custom exhaust. I mean I'm sure there is a way to do it but I doubt anyone makes it. Why would you want dual exhaust on a Taurus?

MD11LuxuryLinr

RE: Dual Excust On A Taurus Se

Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:58 am

If you're throwing the 'GL' badge in there, I'm guessing you're talking about a 12 valve 3.0L. Although it does help to know for sure what year you're talking about and such. For the 96-99s, you can use the cat-back system from a 1996-1999.5 year 24 valve Duratec Taurus. It's the same all the way up until it goes over the rear suspension, then it splits into the two pipes and mufflers. You're going to need the hardware for hanging the right hand muffler. It bolts in the same place that the left hand does (the bumper bolts). If you want to make it look a bit better, you can use the SHO exhaust and have the polished tips...

Now that I think about it, you can do the same for the 92-95s also..

You can get exhausts from Ford (although the older ones may be hard to find) but they are expensive (they are stainless steel) or you can go aftermarket, pay less, and have to replace it in a few years..
Caution wake turbulence, you are following a heavy jet.

gregjet

Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:08 am

I want to make it look like a SHO because i am 17 and right now all i can afford is 95 SE/GL so i am goin 2 put mods on it and stuff does anyone have any other suggestions as far as what else i can do to make it faster ?
thanx

WellHung

Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:53 am

Please leave ricing to Civics and such. Please. And actually learn how to drive before you start worrying about how much horsepower you have.

L.1011

Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:12 am

Gregjet,

Don't waste your money making a crap massmarket Taurus look like an SHO. Save it for a real SHO or whatever kind of halfway-decent car you desire.

MD11LuxuryLinr

Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:45 am

L.1011, I couldn't agree more. I've seen way too many youngsters 'waste' their money making a regular Taurus look or drive like an SHO. There usually comes a point were they spend more on their 'SLO' then they would on purchasing an SHO.

Gregjet,

The 1995 SE isn't bad the way it is. It comes with the SHO seats and console (and that all you need for the interior, really) and maybe the rear spoiler (it was an option on the SE). If you have a 3.8L under the hood, it'll be quicker off the line because of the 215 ft/lbs of torque you get pretty much off idle. The 3.0L is a bit more sluggish. Dual exhaust will help at higher rpms, but you won't get that much of a gain in horsepower. For serious horsepower, you need a supercharger.. That's when we say: ITS NOT WORTH IT... That's 3 grand you can put to good use on an SHO.

My opinion.. buy the SE and keep it pretty much the way it is. Sure, change the rims and tires and do minor cosmetic stuff to it to suit you. But lets be serious though.. you're a kid and you're going to beat the hell out of this car. The Ford Taurus does NOT like to be beat on. IT WILL BREAK.. Trust me, I know... If you waste your money modding the car to make it faster, you're just accelerating the deterioration of the car (especially the renowned weak transmissions).

It's totally up to you though. I'm just warning you what happens. Like I said. I've seen it happen. If you want a fast car or something you can modify, there are many others to choose from. Just looking at Fords.. you have the TBird and of course, the Mustang. They are about as expensive as the Taurus and easier to modify. OR you can go Rice.  Big grin

BTW, I have a 1994 SHO that I've had for 8 years. I love the car to death. I've bought 2 new cars in the past 4 years and haven't had the heart to trade it in. So it sits in the garage most of the time... The one thing I dislike is the astronomical cost for parts.. but that's the price you pay for having a Yamaha engine..
Caution wake turbulence, you are following a heavy jet.

NKP S2

Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:25 am

Don't waste money making something merely look like the real thing. I too doubt a cat back system will help much ( if at all ) on an otherwise stock 3.0 Taurus. I'll bet the most restrictive part of the stock system is the "Y" pipe arrangement down to the Cat(s).

DL_Mech

Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:10 am

Do yourself a favor and get something with a manual transmission.
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

jutes85

Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:27 am

Do yourself a real favour and don't buy a Ford.
nothing

NWA742

Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:29 am

Don't make your car look like something it isn't, or in other words, don't become a ricer.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

rindt

Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:16 pm

I own an '89 SHO... the fastest of the SHO's, 5spd of course.

The consenus is right... don't take a GL and try to make it look like an SHO. Just buy an SHO. The older, the faster, as the newer ones started to get heavier, and with more Ford input, the slower they were.

Have a look at my profile... that'll give you an idea why you'd want the 5spd at least  Smile

-Rob
What other people think of you is none of your business!

KL642

Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:56 pm

I had a '93 Taurus and it was the biggest piece of crap I have ever driven. I found out the hard way that Ford=Fix Or Repair Daily or Found On Road Dead.

Delta767300ER

GregJet

Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:14 pm

I guess you could put a dual exhaust system on a Taurus but I havent seen it done before. Out of total curiousity, what type of tone are you looking for?

-Delta767300ER

Stretch 8

Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:56 pm

Is it true that for the model replacing the Taurus, Ford is bringing back the old "Galaxy 500" nameplate? Great old name!
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!