cba

A Two-Tiered Justice System?

Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:25 pm

The recent secrecy of the high-profile celebrity cases of Martha Stewart, Michael Jackson, and Kobe Byrant have scholars worried that we are seeing what could become a two-tiered justice system, one for the rich and famous, and one for the rest.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=487&u=/ap/20040723/ap_en_ot/celebrity_cases_2&printer=1

L-188

RE: A Two-Tiered Justice System?

Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:32 pm

The first group quoted in that article, the "Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press" is hardly a group that I would call, "Scholars".

More like a group of hacks promoting the agenda of the Tabloids.

Besides, if it wheren't for the sealing of documents, just about every celebrity trial would end up like the OJ case.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

air2gxs

Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:17 am

If the media stopped hyping these cases up and treating for what they are, we wouldn't have these problems. The Micheal Jackson case should be treated just like any other alleged child molestation case. But the media, in its insatiable quest for ratings, decides to run special after special on Jackson, his family, etc. This can't do anything but hurt the justice system. It does taint the jury pool.

The same goes for all the high profile cases out there: Martha Stewart, Kobe Bryant, Peterson, etc. I bet the media jumps all over this new case in Utah. Why? Because someone feels these cases are sexy and get get the almighty rating.

A little off subject, but why should a news agency worry about its ratings? I mean they just report the news. The same stuff everyone else should be reporting. Therefore, all media outlets should be a commodity. The same news delievered without analysis.

flyboy36y

Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:49 am

Actually, the reason that celebrities often have restrictions placed on the media is because even with restrictions a celebrity trial is 1,000 times more reported on than a non celebrity trial that happens to make the papers.

Excessive news coverage makes justice impossible as a juror would have no choice but to hear the media's oppinion, which is often taken to be more factual than any oppinion offered by the prosecutor or defense attorney.

I mean, the media has only itself to blame when it puts out NY Post style headlines that state police accusations as facts and even go as far as naming jurors during a trial.

MaverickM11

Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:21 am

"The recent secrecy of the high-profile celebrity cases of Martha Stewart, Michael Jackson, and Kobe Byrant "

Secrecy??? Out here in Denver I can find out what Kobe had for breakfast; whether I care to know or not it's all over the place.
E pur si muove -Galileo