Alpha 1
Topic Author

Ricky Williams Retires After 5 NFL Seasons

Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:14 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1846012

Another Robert Smith, talented, but eccentric.  Smile

And I don't want to hear how he deserves to be in the HOF.

[Edited 2004-07-25 08:14:31]

aa61hvy

RE: Ricky Williams Retires After 5 NFL Seasons

Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:15 pm

Man his best days were at UT. He was decent at Miami. What a puss.
Go big or go home

Delta767300ER

Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:21 pm

I just read that. What a wimp! He was actually pretty good. I hope this effects the Dolphins season and keeps them out of the playoffs!

-Delta767300ER

NWA742

Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:23 pm

Yep, little wimpy on his part, oh well.

Alpha 1, little change of subject here, but how did it go last night? Feeling better now?

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

CougarAviator

Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:31 am

Dude was mental. Remember that he had to see a shrink to help him deal with the media...........At least he has some benjamins........
Failure is not an option.....

Alpha 1
Topic Author

Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:23 am

I don't think he's wimpy, per se. Jim Brown left after dominating the NFL for 9 years, and could have played another 9; Robert Smith was headed for a career of rushing for at least 12,000 yards, and he quite.

It's not easy to simply walk away from the money and the spotlight like this. It takes some guts. I just think all three guys I mentioned were a bit eccentric in one way or another.

Alpha 1, little change of subject here, but how did it go last night? Feeling better now?

That information is classified.  Big grin

Usairwys757

Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:41 am

Alpha, Ricky Williams is NO Jim Brown buddy. Lets just stop while your behind here and dont even compare the 2.

[Edited 2004-07-26 02:42:04]
Inactive.....

Alpha 1
Topic Author

Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:51 am

Usairways757, pipe down a little. I'm from Cleveland, so you don't have to tell me anything about Jim Brown. I was talking about their eccentricities, not their football abilities. Both were a big flaky; both were extremely talented; both retired long before they were past their prime. Got it now? Good!

Usairwys757

Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:09 am

Ok, just as long as you arent comparing them talent wise. And yeah, you are from Cleveland, and thats why you still suck.  Big grin
Inactive.....

phxairfan

Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:19 am

Word is he retired instead of taking a suspension and fine for violating the league's substance abuse policy again.

"Williams told the Herald marijuana tests he failed had a minor influence on his decision, but were only one of many factors. In May, three South Florida newspapers reported that Williams tested positive for marijuana and faced a fine of at least $650,000 for violating the league's substance-abuse policy for a second time since joining the Dolphins. The Palm Beach Post first reported the story on its Web site.

Williams' attorney, Gary Ostrow, said there was no violation, and a ruling on Williams' appeal was pending. But Williams told the Herald he has gotten around drug tests in the past by taking a special liquid players all over the league consume to avoid detection. "

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpbmdmam0wBF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0bQ--?slug=ap-dolphins-williams&prov=ap&type=lgns

STT757

Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:56 am

The way ESPN News portrayed the story Ricky wanted to smoke pot and travel on lots of adventurous vacations (climbing mountains in Australia was mentioned), he didn't want to have to hide his pot smoking.

They also said that his view is that he was poor once already, and he was just as happy when he was poor as when he became wealthy so if he loses all the money he doesn't care.

My own opinion would be to suck it up for another year or two then retire if that's what you really want to do, for a couple reasons..

First,
Give the Dolphins time to figure out how to rebuild, I feel bad for the situation the Dolphins find themselves in now.

Next,
Bank some more cash in order to have enough to maintain your lifestyle for the next 30 years or so.

Finally even if money really meant nothing to Ricky he could be a real "Saint" and donate his entire pay check for his final two seasons to some deserving charities, there are lots of poor youth out there who need support, guidance and a chance to get a decent education.

The few Million a year he makes would have made a difference to someone.

Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Alpha 1
Topic Author

Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:06 am

ROTFL. Someone from Syracuse, telling someone from Cleveland they suck.  Laugh out loud

dl021

Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:22 am

Yeah thats the pot calling the kettle black.....

Well, Ricky did pretty good for me FFL wise two years ago, but he has some issues here last season. He has to go do what he has to do. I am pretty sure the drug brou-ha-ha has something to do with his decision making process, but he really might want to go and be totally free for a while, and he is in a unique position to do this. How many of us would not have taken a year off if we were 27 year old millionaires who were already set for life?
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Usairwys757

Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:29 am

Hey Alpha, come talk to me when the Indians win the Series, or the Browns win the Super Bowl. Or better yet, do it when your rivers stop catching on fire. LMAO.  Big grin  Laugh out loud
Inactive.....

BN747

Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:52 am

Both were a big flaky; both were extremely talented; both retired long before they were past their prime.

a bit flaky???? WTF does that mean? (re: Jim Brown)

Wlliams...absolutely, I'm surprised he lasted this long, he just be in it because what else was there to do after college ball. But I never sensed conviction on his part, sure he had a few great games.. but for the most part it seems he was just 'there'..nothing more. Brown played the game with a mad-man's mentality, kicking butts and talking names and in his day he had a lotta guys out to intentionally 'take his head off'.

Williams is the epitome of spoiled rotten athletes where it's really 'all about him'. That is however his perogative... but unless (and I doubt it) that he will go on to a more satifying profession (pot smoking doesn't even rank -- he probably wind up selling it). Smith if I understand it correctly is quite accomplished in the medical field, the guy has a brilliant mind.. when he quit, I think he knew exactly what he was doing (that's another subject).

But Jim Brown flaky??? ...Please shed some light here.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

An-225

Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:20 pm

You know, I think he did the right thing. If he is not enjoying the game anymore, why should he play? He's set for life with all those millions, now he can do whatever the hell he wants for the rest of it. Life is not football or NFL, believe it or not. Also, if Ricky changes his mind, he can always return. I am sure some NFL team will be happy to take him.

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

Dash8King

Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:26 pm

Does anyone know more about that drug liquid? I'd like to learn more.

MxCtrlr

Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:18 pm

I just read that. What a wimp! He was actually pretty good. I hope this effects the Dolphins season and keeps them out of the playoffs!

Delta767300ER

This is exactly why I hope just the opposite - that the Dolphins make and go deep into the playoffs - without Ricky (doubtful that it will happen now that our running game just got blown out of the water without much good relief available, but hey, a guy can fantasize!).

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

CactusA319

Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:03 am

Ricky Williams is a different cat, period. To him football is something small, and at this point in his life, fairly meaningless. He's rather go out, travel the world, smoke some good bud, and ponder philosphical questions. Screw football, fame, and fortune. Instead he's going to walk the Earth, see new places and get into adventures like that dude from "Kung Fu". Ricky recently sold two of his cars (a Lamborghini and some other expensive car) and donated the money to a local school. Its not fair to compare him to Jim Brown, Robert Smith, or even Barry Sanders. Jim Brown dominated the NFL and felt there was nothing left for him to do in the league. I don't think Smith was really interested in football to begin with (he has a new book coming out soon, I want to check it out to see what's going on in this guy's head). Sanders just got tired of playing football. Ricky.....well Ricky is just Ricky. One strange cat.

I don't think he's a pussy for leaving the game. Obviously its not his thing anymore and he wants to move on. He has other things he wants to do with his life. Playing ball isn't everything. Can't hate a guy for doing that. The fact that he up and leaves when his team is getting ready for training camp, after having attended off-season meetings and mini-camps, that's just plain selfish and screwing over your team and teamates.

Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:59 am

Damn Gabe, I never knew you could drop some deep knowledge about the NFL.

How do you see the Eagles shaping up this year?  Big thumbs up

B

CactusA319

Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:43 am

B,

I listen to a lot of sports talk radio nowadays  Laugh out loud

The Eagles look good this year, as usual. This might be the year they break through and make it to the Bowl. I still think the Patriots are going to repeat though.

Tiger119

Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:28 pm

I only wish The Colts were still in the same division at the Fish!

The only good thing (OK, one of the good things) about this is that the story of Ricky leaving has taken Kobe and Shaq out of the top of the line up on ESPN SportsCenter for a couple of days. But don't worry, Kobe will be right back up to the front of the news hit parade in a couple of days!
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

KROC

Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:52 pm

Man his best days were at UT. He was decent at Miami. What a puss.

Ignorant. You cannot compare the NFL to College. His best days were at UT? What, running over the likes of Rice, SMU, and other losing schools like Bowling Green? Yeah, they can compare to NFL teams.  Insane

And every time someone cracks C-Town's burning river.......never gets old.  Big grin

gkirk

Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:11 pm

Only 5 seasons? How long is a season? Sounds pretty weak actually.
Surely they should be able to last 10-15 seasons?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

cfalk

Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:44 pm

Two things to say...

Don't you think that these sports characters are just a LITTLE bit overpaid? I mean, come one! Retiring after only five years of work - and that "work" is fooling around with a ball?

Secondly, I just wanted to mention the name of the reporter, Dan Le Batard, which of course is French for "Dan the Bastard". I wonder if someone was insinuating something about his ancestry?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

KROC

Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:18 pm

First of all, who cares how much he is paid. How long the season is, etc. At 27 years old, he has made more money than just about all of us will ever see. All by playing a game. If one of us wants to quit our job and go do something else, we are doing the same thing. To say he is weak for retiring is absurd. get a clue.

learpilot

Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:25 am

Excluive interview with Ricky Williams. See it here only!

http://www.extremeskins.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=banghaha&file=index
Heed our warnings or your future will be underpant free!

gkirk

Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:23 am

KROC, no offence intended, but a lot of the fitba players over here are money grabbers as well, but they still play on, even though they dont need to.
Was this blokes heart ever into the NFL?
BTW, a sort of WWE/NFL question, wasnt Brock Lesnar wanting to be a pro American footballer? What happened?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

jcs17

Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:44 am

Don't you think that these sports characters are just a LITTLE bit overpaid? I mean, come one! Retiring after only five years of work - and that "work" is fooling around with a ball?

He won't be able to live his entire life on the money he made playing football, I assume he'll be going back to college at some point, or like a lot of NFL players he'll be flipping burgers when he's 40 because he burned through all his money.

BTW, a sort of WWE/NFL question, wasnt Brock Lesnar wanting to be a pro American footballer? What happened?

As a matter of fact, Lesnar actually signed a contract today with the Minnesota Vikings.
---
As for my whole take on the thing, I don't have a problem with him retiring, I do have a problem with him hanging the Dolphins out to dry a week before training camp. Thats bush league. Travis Minor can't hold a candle to Williams and because the Dolphins assumed that Williams would be back they did not persue any one in free agency to replace him. That being said, I do think the guy retired just to smoke up. I don't buy the 'Ohhh, he's going to Austrailia to hang with some Aboriginees' take. He's going to Asia with Kaz Tadano and Spicoli (KROC probably knows what I'm talking about) so he can smoke the reefer and have no accountability.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!