concord977

Need Advanced Windows XP Help W/ "services"

Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:19 am

I need some help from a knowledgeable person regarding Windows XP 'applications' vs. 'services'.

I use MS-Outlook for all of my mailboxes. I have password protected it for additional security.

What I describe below is an example of what happens on some occasions - not all the time. The fact that it is inconsistent is one thing that bothers me.

When I open Outlook, I'm asked for the password and it opens itself as an 'application' and also as a 'service'. When I exit out of Outlook, it disappears as an application, but stays active as a 'service'.

Consequently, the next time I open Outlook it no longer asks me for a password because it is still active in the background.

Because I use Norton Internet Security, I can see each time that a program attempts to access the internet. So even when I think I have closed Outlook, I see that it is accessing the internet in the background.

I have used Ad-Aware and SpyKiller, and I have run a complete virus scan on my computer - and it appears to be clean.

So WHY does outlook stay active even when I have closed it as an application?
No info

Shawn Patrick

RE: Need Advanced Windows XP Help W/ "services"

Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:46 am

It's probably accessing the internet checking your mail.

What is the name of the application and service?

concord977

Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:51 am

Application: Microsoft Outlook

Services: "outlook.exe" + "winword.exe"

I don't have Outlook configured to check for new mail automatically. It is supposed to require me to check it manually.
No info

Shawn Patrick

Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:02 am

Go into Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. See if there are any services in that list that correspond to outlook.exe and winword.exe

concord977

Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:06 am

I have done that. That is how I know there is a problem.

When I open Outlook and use it, outlook.exe and winword.exe SHOULD be in the among the active services.

When I close Outlook, they should disappear from the active services list - but they don't. They stay active.
No info

Shawn Patrick

Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:10 am

Hmm, might have to get an expert in here then...

nighthawk

Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:24 am

winword.exe is Microsoft Word. Do you have microsoft office set to quick start, with the startup bar loading when windows boots?

If so try to disable this and it should stop loading. also in the services list mentioned earlier, check both winword and outlook are set to start manually rather than automatic.

gkirk

Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:18 am

Nighthawk you geek  Laugh out loud
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

concord977

Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:58 am

Nighthawk,

I switched the two programs to manual - and I have not been able to repeat the problem since. You may have solved my problem!

Thanks.

No info