727LOVER
Topic Author

Osama Capture Alert-- This Week

Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:42 am

Don't be surpirsed if Osama Bin Laden is captured THIS WEEK!!!  Innocent

http://www.fromtheroots.org/story/2004/7/8/94043/77497

a White House aide told ul-Haq last spring that "it would be best if the arrest or killing of [any] HVT were announced on twenty-six, twenty-seven, or twenty-eight July"--the first three days of the Democratic National Convention in Boston.

One Pakistani general recently in Washington confided in a journalist, "If we don't find these guys by the election, they are going to stick this whole nuclear mess up our asshole."

....ummm...why not just get the guy and not worry about timing it?

They want Pakistan to do all the work, but the WH wants the credit?????????  Confused
Love Trumps Hate

DLKAPA

RE: Osama Capture Alert-- This Week

Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:24 am

One Pakistani general recently in Washington confided in a journalist, "If we don't find these guys by the election, they are going to stick this whole nuclear mess up our asshole."

See that's why I'm not voting for Bush.

And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

N6376M

Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:01 am

I love the conspiracy theorist. Maybe I'm a contrarian, but I think the worst think that could happen for GWB is for Osama to be captured or confirmed killed before the election.

If you capture Osama, what are you going to do with him? Send him off to Gitmo or The Hague? I think not. For one, I don't think the Dutch would take him - whoever hold him is just inviting all sorts of attacks against their interests.

If the US holds him, we won't be able to interrogate him properly given all the legal protections he would probably enjoy.

Now, if you kill the guy, you make him a martyr. I'm sure that there are attacks that will occur upon notification of his death by his followers.

Terrorism and it's effects are going to be the wild card of the 2004 US presidential election. Though I'm not sure who a major act of terrorism helps in the polls - I think there are good arguments that can be made for each side - I don't think either side want's the uncertainty that this would bring.

If I were President (Alpha1 - don't worry I'm a naturalized US citizen so this can't happen), my instructions would be shoot to kill, take a sample of the DNA for positive confirmation - then dispose of the body completely. Any information regarding the same should carry the highest level of security clearance.

Simply stated, I think that there's more to be lost than to be gained by confirming that we've either captured or killed OBL.

Zweed

Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:22 am

Im a believer of the hypothesis that he is already dead. died up in the montains.

jcs17

Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:26 am

WARNING:

727Lover conveniently left out the fact that this appeared on fromtheroots.org, which is a weblog of Democratic Senatorial candidates. The article itself was written by an editor of TNR (a notoriously left magazine) who also happens to be a scholar at the Carnegie Peace Institute, a leftist anti-war organization.

If you want to post something, make sure that it didn't come off of Indianguy's Favorites file.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

aloges

Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:43 am

another WARNING:

This thread might turn into a flame war. For reasons, see reply 4.

---

"Simply stated, I think that there's more to be lost than to be gained by confirming that we've either captured or killed OBL."

I completely second that. Whatever someone might do with/to OBL, his fellow hardcore terrorists are going to make sure those who capture him will have a hell of a bad time. OBL got killed? So he's a "martyr".  Insane OBL got captured? So he's yet another victim of US imperialism.  Yeah sure (Whatever stance on GTMO/Abu Ghraib may be, and I guess some of you know mine, OBL is not a victim.) OBL gets sentenced by the International Court of Justice? So the "infidels" have "dared" to sentence one of the "greatest Muslim leaders" of all times.  Sleepy

No matter what would be done with OBL, the shit would hit the fan pretty fast. And it wouldn't be nice. It's out of the frying pan into the fire.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Alpha 1

Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:49 am

I love the conspiracy theorist. Maybe I'm a contrarian, but I think the worst think that could happen for GWB is for Osama to be captured or confirmed killed before the election.

I don't necessarily agree. If it happens a few weeks to a week out, in a tight race, it could make a deciding difference. However, if something miraculously happens like this week, during the DNC, then people will smell a rotten fish, and THAT could hurt Bush.

But honestly, beyond that, and beyond partisian politics, nothing would please me more than to capture that creature, cage him up, then put him in solitary above the artic circle, or something like that.

Im a believer of the hypothesis that he is already dead. died up in the montains.

That is a possibility.

727Lover conveniently left out the fact that this appeared on fromtheroots.org, which is a weblog of Democratic Senatorial candidates. The article itself was written by an editor of TNR (a notoriously left magazine) who also happens to be a scholar at the Carnegie Peace Institute, a leftist anti-war organization.

So? The right-wing apologists on here are always posting stuff from notoriously right-wing slanted blogs, so what's wrong with this? You wouldn't be crying, Jcs, if this were a right-slanted report, so you shouldn't cry if someone uses another slant.

L-188

Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:33 pm

N6376m, Binnie is actually already under criminal indictment for the Kenyan and Tanzanian Embassy bombings.

I can only assume that he would first face those charges.

Between Federal and NY state murder charges, I think he could be held indefinately no matter how many trials he could win.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

MD11Engineer

Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:49 pm

Isn´t he wanted in Saudi Ararbia and some other Islamic states for murder? In case he gets capured, I think the best thing would be to hand him over to e.g. Saudi Arabia and let him be tried in accordance with Islamic law. The US could sue him in a Saudi court as well. I´ll bet the big executioner will have his sword well sharpened and nobody can accuse a court made up of Muslims to be infidels.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

L-188

Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:50 pm

No MD11Engineer.

I am not big enough to wish him anything sharper then a rusty butter knife.

MD11Engineer

Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:56 pm

L-188,

AFAIK, Saudi law says that a relative of a person murdered can perform the execution himself. In an interview I read in the German Spiegel magazine with this executioner this case is his worst nightmare, because the amateurs usualy bungle the execution. While the professional executioner needs only one fast cut to remove the head, the amateurs keep on chopping (This guy has his professional pride!).

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

L-188

Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:13 pm

I think I remember the same interview being published over here.

I wonder how the people of New York would decide who would go ever and deliver the blow?

Boeing4ever

Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:14 pm

My oh my.

You know, Airliners.net has opened up the aviation world to me in ways that I could never have imagined. My love of aviation probably wouldn't have grown without the insightful knowledge that I have gained here. I have learned more about aviation in the past three and a half years than in all eighteen and a half years of my existence. That's why I continue to use this sight...a place that brings the aviation world together...

Unfortunately, there's been a catch...

I've witness more narrow-minded, far-fetched, bullshit from people, and have lost the most faith in people in the past three and a half years than in all eighteen and a half years of my existence. That's pretty sad, but when you look at posts like this thread starter, not so hard to believe.

What happened to the unity that Americans had after September 11th? Well it's all been pissed away by nut-jobs who have fanatical devotion to being either liberal or conservative. The mud-slinging and animosity they have generated have torn our country apart worse than ever. No one is trusted...everyone has some hidden agenda. Nothing can get done without politics getting involved, as well, as jealousy, hatred, suspicion, etc.

Look at yourselves, no seriously, LOOK at yourselves. I'm not trying to be mean spirited, or vicious like I have been in the past. I realize that "the angry centrist" is just as big a turnoff now. But seriously, look at yourselves.

I want OBL captured. It isn't impossible that the US happens to capture him during the DNC or RNC. It would simply be coincidence and the culmination of what has been years of work. OBL planned the murder of 3000 innocent people. Yet today, we sit here hating each other because of our politics. It's like the worst kind of red scare...where we make friends, and help each other out, only within party lines. Doesn't anyone find this even remotely sick?

Why is everything a Right-wing, or Left-wing conspiracy? Have we all slipped that much into paranoia and mistrust? Everytime a lightbulb burns out in the country, there is always some pack of vultures who point fingers at either a Republican, or Democrat. We've been forced apart with this "We're the good guys and they're pure evil" mentality.

Deep down we all realize this, but there are members who thrive on this behavior. Why? What do you fear exactly? Are you compensating for something? Filling a void? Or do you just feel the need to belong to a group? Do any of you even believe a word you are saying? Chances are more than likely that you don't.

Let me tell you, Al Qaida has clearly slipped to Number Two in the list of terror groups that pose the biggest threat to America. The new Number One is an even tie between the Democratic and Republican parties.

As sad as it may sound...we have lost our unity, worse than ever...maybe we need another 9-11-01...because the lessons from the first, clearly haven't stuck.

B4e-Forever New Frontiers

EDIT: Grammer, punctuation, spelling

[Edited 2004-07-26 06:17:08]

[Edited 2004-07-26 06:43:29]

rjpieces

Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:34 pm

But honestly, beyond that, and beyond partisian politics, nothing would please me more than to capture that creature, cage him up, then put him in solitary above the artic circle, or something like that.

Could you imagine Osama in a cage at the RNC in NYC, just blocks away from the WTC? Would love to see that.........

AFAIK, Saudi law says that a relative of a person murdered can perform the execution himself.

Sounds like a normal society.........
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

aviationwiz

Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:37 pm

A lot's going to happen this week, I don't think it'll be a "we caught Usama" type of deal, but keep in mind that Bush & company are going to want to do just about anything to take media attention away from the DNC, that's just common sense there.
Proudly from the Home of the Red Tail.

MxCtrlr

Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:53 pm

So? The right-wing apologists on here are always posting stuff from notoriously right-wing slanted blogs, so what's wrong with this? You wouldn't be crying, Jcs, if this were a right-slanted report, so you shouldn't cry if someone uses another slant.

Yes, Alpha1, that is true however, the moment someone does post something from a "right-wing slanted" source, the left-wingers here blast away, so why shouldn't the right-wingers enjoy the same freedom to blast away at left-wing slanted sources??

Again, you are absolutely correct that what goes for one side, should go for the other side however, as your message stated, and to paraphrase just a bit, you shouldn't cry if someone uses the same tactics.

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

CPH-R

Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:23 pm

Of course he's not going to be captured now - after all, Dubya's team have lined up for a October Surprise!

N6376M

Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:36 pm

Boeing4ever, you need to put God Bless America in the background to that post.

Now back to reality, politics is a way of life in America - particularly in an election year. I'm not saying it's right, but it does occur. Given how close the election is, it would surprise me if either side would use whatever it could to gain an advantage.

My point is that I'm not sure announcing that we've captured OBL this week during the DNC, in a couple of weeks during the RNC or ever, will be in our best interest. I believe such an announcement would trigger all sorts of terrorist responses (some organized and some the work of individuals).

L-188, I have no doubt he could be legally held to face all sorts of charges, my question is, where would we hold him? Do you think any prison in the US wants to deal with the sort of security risk he'd pose? How do you think the Governor / Senator / Congressperson of the State where he's held would say?

And after we try him spending tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars, what then? A lethal injection at Terra Haute (sp?)? What's gained. If we find him I think the options are very clear - (1) bullet to the head and secret burial in an undisclosed location; (2) capture him, interrogate the shit out of him using whatever means possible (yes, this includes torture) as quickly as possible, then the bullet to the head and secret burial.

But in no instance do I think that we should publicly announce that we've captured him or that he was killed.

L-188

Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:39 pm

I am sure any of the federal "Supermax" facilities will be sufficent.

They seem to be for that cleric that was part of the 93 plot.

GDB

Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:10 am

He's got to be caught first, and the last best opportunity was in late 2001, nothing close since.
That's why his little speeches are few and far between, it's called keeping a low profile and staying in an area that Pakistan (who know the local culture and the geography) has never controlled.

Not that getting OBL would make any real difference, by making him this iconic figure not only has the US done his PR work for him, but distorted the public view of his importance, he's not some 'Dr Evil' character, he's more of a sort of spiritual leader than military style commander.
AQ are a very loose, self contained, widely dispersed, cellular organization.

NWA742

Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:14 am

"Let it be told.....the vast and brutal conspiracy we face today, under the insane evil ruler of George W. Bush--for he is bringing amongst us a lie and a cheat. Americans will soon know of the capture of the great Osama bin Laden. It will come at a time that favors George W. Bush in the election. To the insane Bush, this is no matter of capturing the man who killed those 3000 Americans, it is but a simple tool that he will use to extend his evil presidency. The American people must know of this vast right-wing conspiracy, made by the evil Bush man."

Insane

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

JGPH1A

Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:19 am

"We will bring the terrorists to justice; or we will bring justice to the terrorists; or we'll forget all about it and go invade Iraq Iran Syria" GWB
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Alpha 1

Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:21 am

I do miss Baghdad Bob. Sigh.

NWA742

Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:01 am

"We will bring the terrorists to justice; or we will bring justice to the terrorists; or we'll forget all about it and go invade Iraq Iran Syria" GWB

Ever heard of Afganistan?  Insane

I do miss Baghdad Bob. Sigh.

Haha, yep.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

martinairyyz

Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:16 pm

This guy that guy.... He is bad, but all this stuff is riddiculous. They have no idea where he is but they're just saying this to give the American public hope in the Republicant's.

We will bring the terrorists to justice; or we will bring justice to the terrorists; or we'll forget all about it and go invade Iraq Iran Syria" GWB

Yeah...... That's mainly it. If you re-elect the Rupublicant's they're kill your deficit and make it even bigger, kill more innocent souls, and claim that Iraq gave the WMD's to Syria as an X-Mas present..... oh my
Chelsea Football Club supporter.

JGPH1A

Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:34 pm

Re: Ever heard of Afganistan?

Yeah - and ? A few unproven accused "illegal combatants" locked up in Cuba, a few less burkahs on the streets of Kabul and... f*ck all else. NGO health workers being murdered by US-sponsored "warlords", no decrease in drug traffic, OBL is still out there, Al Quaeda is still out there, recruiting like mad in the now disastrously screwed-up Iraq. US is still on Orange Alert - yeah, George, doing well on that terrorism thing. Keep up the good work.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Delta767300ER

NWA742/Alpha1

Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:20 pm

Where is Baghdad Bob anyway? He was funny as heck.

-Delta767300ER

elal 744

Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:22 pm

JGPH1A

What is your solution?
What would you do?
It is wonderful to criticize the US (and Israel for that matter) for everything we do - do you have any CONSTRUCTIVE things to say?

I open this question to everyone - in a frendly and constructive way.
Vercere bracis meis

JGPH1A

Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:42 pm

I wish I had a solution - terrorism is a complicated problem. But one has to start by at least admitting there are reasons behind it, however bizarre, illogical and extreme these reasons might seem, and accept that until these reasons are addressed or in some way nullified, terrorism will never go away. Look at Northern Ireland, or South Africa. Terrorism was fought and fought and fought, tooth and nail, for decades, whole armies were involved, hugely outnumbering the relatively small groups of terrorists, but the terrorism didn't stop until the root causes were identified and addressed.

I know to many that smacks of pandering to terrorists and surrendering to their demands, but you have to ask yourself one thing. Why do otherwise unremarkable individuals, with families, wives, kids, jobs, strap bombs to themselves or hijack aircraft and kill hundreds of people ? It is because they feel (rightly or wrongly, as a result of warped propoganda, religious indoctrination or bitter personal experience) SO ill-treated and abused that they see this as the only way to react against the injustice they percieve. Please don't think I am condoning for one moment terrorist acts - of course not. But they are almost never random (except for the odd crazed postal worker or lone wolf lunatic), they are the end link in a chain of events.

You can argue till the cows come home what actually constitutes an injustice, but it really doesn't matter - if an injustice is perceived, that is all it takes. Look at Timothy McVeigh and the other militia nutjobs that operate in the US - these people firmly believe that the UN and the Z.O.G. are out to get them, to take their guns and freedoms away blah blah blah. Any rational human being knows that this is not the case, but the injustice is percieved, and the terrorist act follows.

In the case of the Middle East and islamic fundamentalist terrorism, their biggest beef appears to be that the US and other Western governments support less than democratic governments in the region - you can argue about that for ever, it doesn't matter what we think. It matters what THEY think. Until THEY think the US no longer supports the Saudi and other Gulf governments that are non-representative and repressive, Al Quaeda won't stop. Yes there's all sorts of other crap they spout about infidels and Islam and blah blah blah, but if in their countries of origin they were allowed to mouth off about it without getting chucked in prison, they most probably wouldn't be terrorists, they'd just be slightly delusional religious extremists of the type that exist relatively harmlessly everywhere. Its not a universal answer, after all Timothy McVeigh had all the freedoms he could ever need, and still he blew up a truck bomb - but its like any other crime - at least we should examine the root causes as well as trying to catch and imprison those responsible.

jwenting

Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:57 pm

The Dutch would likely take OBL and grant him assylum.
After all, he's persecuted for his beliefs (which of course are that all Americans and Jews must be slaughtered and the world turned into his own private empire).

I'm sick of the left wing conspiracy theorists. While putting opponents in cages during their own national convention (reminder of the "reeducation camps" their sponsors in Vietnam use to get rid of the opposition) they claim the sitting administration is preventing free speech...
I wish I were flying

Sabena 690

Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:19 pm

I'm sick of the left wing conspiracy theorists.

And I'm sick of your KLM/AF conspiracy theories. You are the only one who is allowed to have 'conspiracy theories' I guess?

If you follow the political situation, you will see that OBL has no power anymore. Heck, there is even no Al Qaeda anymore (only separate groups who like to call themselves 'Al Qaeda' to get a better hearing in the world).

Whether you catch him or not doesn't make any difference, at least on the international political scene.

aviationwiz

Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:33 am

Bahahahahahaha, look at the CNN headline:

Security forces have captured a high-level al Qaeda operative in a raid in central Pakistan, Interior Minister Faisal Saleh Hayat said.
Proudly from the Home of the Red Tail.

L-188

Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:52 am

Yeah, but until it is confirmed be just a wee bit suspicous of anything that is announced out of Pakistan.

Remember a few months ago when they had that whole village surroned with one of their chiefs in it? Ended up missing him.