LHMark
Topic Author

Soccer Ref Shoots Arguing Coach Dead On Field

Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:57 pm

"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Phaeton

RE: Soccer Ref Shoots Arguing Coach Dead On Field

Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:23 pm

The game must have been held on a rather small field, because the referee was able to escape from the match. It surely wouldn't be possible for a referee to escape a stadium which are used for Champions League matches. Also, the hooligans would then do the job of the police.  Big thumbs up

Thomas
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.", Winston Churchill

ZKSUJ

Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:13 pm

Holy crap!!! Wow.
That's a bit overboard, I know that there are many people passionate about sports (including myslef) but at the end of the day, it's a game and it is no reason to shoot someone.

L-188

Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:15 pm

Aren't red cards supposed to prevent this from happening?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

KROC

Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:24 pm

Well done Soccer. Is it any wonder why this "sport" is the root of all the worlds troubles???

yyz717

Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:31 pm

That'll teach the coach.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

KROC

Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:33 pm

Yyz717 - Shouldn't you give us an anti-gun diatribe here and drop a live free or something quote as well?

aloges

Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:54 pm

Poor KROC, Yyz717 gave him no reason to bitch about him...  Crying

"Yyz717 - Shouldn't you give us an anti-gun diatribe here and drop a live free or something quote as well?"

Like you should (and did) give us an anti-football diatribe and drop a football is the root of all evil quote as well? Same old story over and over and over and over and over again, but in the end, football is still the "biggest" sport. Right after jerking off, that is.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

KROC

Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:57 pm

Hey Aloges aka 777236ER junior. Why don't you relearn howto take a joke and stop whinning like a 6 year old little girl all the damn time. Here...these are for you...

gkirk

Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:43 pm

KROC, dammit, you know as well as anyone that when Germans are about you have to use a smiley to illustrate that you are joking...
Anyway, I blame George Dubya Bush  Laugh out loud
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

saslover

Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:47 pm

Man is he sick in his head. It's like that time in Chile a player shot another player on the field...........

They are CRAZY!!!  Nuts  Nuts  Nuts
Pilot how soon can you land this plane. I can't tell. Yes you can tell me I am a doctor

L-188

Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:54 pm

OH so this isn't the 1st incident of it's kind in Soccer?

gkirk

Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:12 pm

Well, a Columbian player got shot dead after scoring an own goal in World CUp 94. So, nope, its happened before

L-188

Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:18 pm

Yeah but that was a couple months after.....correct?

Not the same as at the game!

POSITIVE RATE

Soccer Ref Shot

Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:27 pm

"Well, a Columbian player got shot dead after scoring an own goal in World CUp 94. So, nope, its happened before"

That was Andreas Escobar. He scored an own goal in a USA V Colombia match during USA '94. He was shot dead a few weeks after returning home to Colombia because certain Colombian druglords had placed very big $$$ bets on Colombia winning that match and they lost their $$$ and got pissed.

gordonsmall

Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:17 pm

I wish Hugh Dallas would shoot that moaning protestant bastard Alex McLeish!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

And we can only hope that Gkirk is somewhere in the firing line.  Laugh out loud

Sour grapes doesn't even come into it ..................

Regards,
Gordon.
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

aloges

Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:23 pm

Sorry, I forgot that we all have to die from laughter whenever KROC descends to gracing us with one of his famous ever-renewing jokes. Sorry about that.

LHMark
Topic Author

Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:32 pm

It's ok this time, Aloges, but don't let it happen again.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

aloges

Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:43 pm

I won't. In fact, I'm still trying to find my self-esteem down in the basement. It feels so horrible.

KROC

Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:24 pm

Well, say hello to your father 777236ER while you are looking for your self-esteem aka whinning.

JGPH1A

Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:38 pm

It is true that soccer (not Football, Fitba, or any other pseudonym) is the root of all evil. I have said so all along. It could easily be replaced by a cheap computer simulation, with good enough CGI graphics nobody would even notice the difference. They could have matches on 24 hours a day, and everyone could stay at home and watch it in a persistant vegetative state on Sky Sports, and nobody would ever be bothered again by riots, vandalism and those ugly Burberry baseball caps.  Laugh out loud

I will write to UEFA and suggest it.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

gkirk

Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:09 am

Is JGPH1A Jacques Chirac in disguise?  Laugh out loud

JGPH1A

Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:09 am

Kirkie - secretly deep down you know I'm right ! Computerised 24 soccer matches for the drooling illiterate masses ! They won't know the difference.

As for being Jacques Chirac, the world can be lucky I'm not - what's the point of having a huge nuclear arsenal if you can't use it to smite you're enemies ? I can think of a few places that will become bubbling sheets of radioactive glass quick sharp when I get my hands on the Button ! BWUUAHAHAHA !!
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

gkirk

Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:39 am

Saddam has escaped!  Wow!  Wow!
BTW, those computer games already exist, EA Sports makes Fifa 2004 for the PS2 etc  Laugh out loud

JGPH1A

Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:44 am

Re: EA Sports makes Fifa 2004 for the PS2

Great - so all Sky (ptooieee !) Sports have to do is buy a copy, and run it 24 hours a day for the benefit of all the spavined strip-wearing couch spuds, who will be glued to it permanently, pausing only to refill on McEwans lager and microwave pizza. Keep it running for about 18 months, and all the soccer chavs in the world will be dead from blocked arteries and liver failure, and the world will be a better place  Laugh out loud

Saddam ? Naaah - amateur !

Usairwys757

Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:44 am

The only thing worse than watching Soccer on T.V., is watching GKirk babble on and on about how great Soccer is. Come on dude, give me a break. Soccer sucks.  Big grin
Inactive.....

aa61hvy

Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:07 am

So I guess the ref bypassed the yellow and red card.
Go big or go home

yyz717

Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:46 am

So I guess the ref bypassed the yellow and red card.

By a mile it would seem.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

gkirk

Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:07 am

Usairwys, its better than you babbling on about your love of all things New Orleans  Big grin I mean, c'mon, your obsession with ConcordeBoy is unbelievable  Wink/being sarcastic

POSITIVE RATE

Soccer

Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:36 am

"The only thing worse than watching Soccer on T.V., is watching GKirk babble on and on about how great Soccer is. Come on dude, give me a break. Soccer sucks."

Man you haven't got a clue! Did you know that the 2002 world cup final was watched by an estimated 4 billion people??? That's almost the whole planet. So i guess it's known as "the world game" for a reason then duh! With the exception of the USA,Australia and a few other countries soccer(known as football)is played by everyone. Next time you go to a South American country try telling them "soccer" sux and see the reception you'd get pal!

MD11Engineer

Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:08 pm

Did any of you guys read the article?

There was an argument about a referee´s decision, the visiting team didn´t like the decision and made moves to attack (and beat up?) the referee.

"There was an altercation...and the referee became threatened when the other team approached him because they were angry," Govender said. "So he pulled out a gun and killed the coach of the visiting team."

So I would think it might be self defense. How would you guys react if a dozen big, angry blokes would descent on you?

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

LHMark
Topic Author

Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:10 pm

So I would think it might be self defense. How would you guys react if a dozen big, angry blokes would descent on you?

Good point. It's a good thing the referee anticipated the possibility and showed up to the stadium packing heat.

JGPH1A

Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:23 pm

Re: Did you know that the 2002 world cup final was watched by an estimated 4 billion people???

How can they possibly know that ? 4 billion people is 2/3 the population of the entire planet, and at least half the planet does not have access to a TV, so you do the math. And that doesn't take into account the 95% of the planet's population that are bored rigid by all sport on TV, and were out having a life while this match was on.

That 4 billion figure is just b/s put out by FIFA to generate more TV rights revenue.

EZYAirbus

Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:46 pm

Hope this guy isnt reffing at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa!!

Glenn
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

Banco

Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:46 pm

JGPH1A, the 4 billion figure is invariably the potential audience figure. Many sports do the same thing. The Superbowl claims something like 1 billion as an audience even though no-one outside North America gives a stuff. What happens is that they add up the populations of the countries that are showing the game and wahaay, you have a total figure.  Insane

Obviously, getting China and India to show it is a big help.  Big grin
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

JGPH1A

Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:44 pm

Banco - I suspected as much. I suppose if they consider that the TV signal shoots off into space and could in theory be picked up by the Oogoolons of Alpha Centauri, they should count them as well. It all adds up !

dl021

Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:05 am

ok so we went from discussing a tragic murder to arguing over FIFA's exxageration over tv coverage. This proves that soccer fans are the nuttiest people on the planet. That includes SEC and georgia/texas/ohio/florida/pennsylvania high school football fans.

So this guy shot the ref.....thats alot worse than shooting an airplane fuselage on a railroad car, right? Do these altercations occur on a regular basis? Was this racially motivated? Should we ban soccer because of hooliganism and violence?
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

POSITIVE RATE

Soccer

Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:25 pm

"How can they possibly know that ? 4 billion people is 2/3 the population of the entire planet, and at least half the planet does not have access to a TV, so you do the math. And that doesn't take into account the 95% of the planet's population that are bored rigid by all sport on TV, and were out having a life while this match was on.

That 4 billion figure is just b/s put out by FIFA to generate more TV rights revenue."

I see what you're saying however i do believe that figure to be fairly accurate- remember we are talking about a World Cup final here, the most anticipated sporting event on the planet. And remember to a lot of countries soccer is much more than just a sport, it's a way of life. I can assure you ALL of South America would be watching(now how many countries is that just there alone),plus most of Europe.

JGPH1A

Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:10 pm

Re: Should we ban soccer because of hooliganism and violence?

Short answer: Yes.  Smile

wing

Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:28 am

Does anybody know how the refree got access to his gun?Was he carrying it under his belt in the field also or did he aquire it from where,?
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

atct

Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:45 am

On behalf of refs here in PIAA/PA West, im rather appaled that hed do that. Id just say your out of here and hed never coach any team of any sport in PA ever again.

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

Imonti

Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:32 am

The ref was carrying the gun onto the filed with him before the game started. I am a proud South African and what will teach any one not to question the refs decision. Ok seriously the south african governing football body has said all refs now have to run through a metal detector, i think for the world cup only thou but i could be wrong.

To be honest I do support Arsenal but soccer sucks compared to rugby, ouch he tackled me with his studs aiming at me. Shame deal with it, lets see a 110 kg or what ever John Smit run at you at full tilt and tackle you, then lets see you really go down in pain and not trying to win a free kick but because your trashed.

Imonti

Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:44 am

It was not racially motivated, the ref is not mentally stable, racial crime in south africa is not high at all, very low I would think, but crime in general is higher than normal. It is very rare, a racial crime, and if you are found guilty of a racially motivated crime, then your pretty screwd.