MattCLE
Topic Author

Germany: Visa Question

Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:50 pm

I will be studying in Germany from late August to mid-May. Since I will be over there more than 90 days, can I apply for my visa after I arrive there? Or do I have to have a visa before I leave to go there? It seems like I'm getting mixed info over here, so I thought I would ask someone here who will hopefully know. Thanks!

-Matt
Bear Claw, Free Fall, A Gunner's View

MD11Engineer

RE: Germany: Visa Question

Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:54 pm

No, normally a visa has to be applied for through the embassy in your country of residence. The only way to convert a tourist visa into a different class without going through an embassy is by getting married to a German or a EU citizen and applying for a residency.

Jan

[Edited 2004-07-29 15:56:05]
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Sabena332

Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:55 pm

I really don't know if you can apply for a visa after you arrive here but this site of the German foreign ministry might be helpful:

http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/www/en/willkommen/index_html

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

MattCLE
Topic Author

Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:21 pm

Thank you for the link. I think I found my answer in this paragraph:

Requirements for the issue of visas for longer stays and/or stays which entitle the holder to take up gainful employment
With the exception of EU nationals, all foreigners require visas for stays of more than three months or stays leading to the holder taking up gainful employment for which a work permit is necessary. A person intending to come to Germany for such a stay must apply for a visa to the competent mission before arriving in the country. His/her visa application must be approved by the relevant aliens authority in Germany, i.e. the aliens authority in the place where the applicant intends to take up residence. Exempted from this requirement are citizens of the EU, the EEC countries and of Switzerland, Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, and the United States of America, who may obtain the necessary residence permit also after entering Germany.

It seems I can apply for a residence permit once I arrive in Germany.
Bear Claw, Free Fall, A Gunner's View

MD11Engineer

Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:35 pm

Then you are lucky, I´ve been processing the working visas for several colleagues from the Philippines and South Africa. In all cases they had to get their visas BEFORE entering Germany.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi