Tubbyboeing
Topic Author

Difference Between Rental And Non-rental DVDs?

Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:04 pm

Hi guys,

Sorry if this topic has been discussed before.

I just got a DVD from one of the rental stores, and was surprised to see "Rental Version" written on the cover and also on the DVD. I have never seen this before (and I have been renting DVDs for a long time). Its also got a warning saying "Rental version only, not for home use" What does that mean? Of course, when someone rents the DVD, they are gonna watch it at home!

How does this DVD differ from the "normal" DVDs we buy in shops? Is the content edited?

Thanks in advance  Smile

fritzi

RE: Difference Between Rental And Non-rental DVDs?

Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:44 pm

How does this DVD differ from the "normal" DVDs we buy in shops?

For the rental version of a DVD, the rental shop owner has to pay royalties every now and then to the makers of the movie. For Personal editions, you only have to pay once.

"Rental version only, not for home use" What does that mean?

Home use means that you buy the movie for personal use, rental versions for rental. Pretty basic in my opinion.

Home Version: Pay once for owner.
Rental Version: Pay many times for owner.

cedarjet

Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:14 pm

I bought some Hammer Horror movies (Dracula Has Risen From The Grave, Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, Taste The Blood Of Dracula) on DVD at the weekend, released by Warner Bros. You know they think that title has reached the end of the line when you see "For home or rental use" on the disc - they don't give a shit. It should just say, "Knock yourself out."

http://www2.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=285;5;-1;-1&sku=190434
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

agill

Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:46 am

The big difference is usually the amount of scraches on the disc  Big grin

PPGMD

Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:50 am

In most cases the rental edition is simply the same move but has different warnings, this time allowing the rental of the movie. Also rental companies often have to pay royalties for the first year or so that the movie is out so have to check how often it's rented.

As far as content the rental edition is often the same movie, though many times without any extra bonus features discs (though if it's one DVD they will often keep the bonus features).
At worst, you screw up and die.

EA CO AS

Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:57 am

The rental version skips or freezes repeatedly because people have no problem with using them as drink coasters or Frisbees once they've viewed them.

The non-rental version is encased in a child-proof, escape-proof, mental torture device of security tape that keeps you from viewing it indefinitely.  Big grin
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group